PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe noone else has said it yet: WELCOME BACK CORINA MORARIU

mn73
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:22 AM
She played doubles at World Team Tennis on July 8 with Alexandra Stevenson and lost 2-5 to Tina Krizan and Katarina Srebotnik and again on July 9 with Alexandra Stevenson and lost 2-5 to Maria Sharapova and Samantha Reeves.

First step on the long road back, but how lovely to see her back.

Welcome back Corina :wavey:

Here is a transcript of her World Team Tennis interview:

World TeamTennis - Corina Morariu conference call transcript

Morariu, a 1999 Wimbledon doubles champion and former #1 doubles player in the world, talked about her return to professional tennis, as she prepares to play for the Philadelphia Freedoms in the 2002 World TeamTennis (WTT) Pro League. Diagnosed with leukemia in the Spring of 2001, she returns to the pro courts on July 8 when she and her Philadelphia Freedoms teammates host Patrick McEnroe and the New York Hamptons.

On making her professional return in the World TeamTennis Pro League:

“TeamTennis will be such a great transition and comeback for me. I’ve always loved playing on a team and it will be so comforting to have that support from my teammates as I get back on the court. Tennis is such an individual game and World TeamTennis is so unique in that the atmosphere and matches are
great. The crowds, the format and excitement of the games are all so thrilling. It’s a perfect situation for me to come back out and play in front of the noisy crowds and play with all my teammates. I couldn’t really ask for anything more for my comeback to tennis.”

On the support she received from her fellow teammates during her illness:

“I had such incredible support through my entire sickness. I had wonderful people pulling for me…family, friends, players…When you go through such a life-threatening situation, it’s frightening and I was comforted by those who reached out to me. I had so many people come to visit me in the hospital and send me flowers and get well cards. Jennifer Capriati even dedicated her French Open title to me and held up a pink “GET WELL SOON CORINA” poster which meant a lot to me.”

On her fear of never playing tennis again:

“Throughout my battle with leukemia, my fear wasn’t really if I’d ever play tennis again…It was actually if I’d even be here. At that point, my priority wasn’t tennis…My priority was fighting and regaining my health.”

On her state of mind after overcoming her illness:

“I definitely feel like I’ve come out of this a stronger person which will help me in life and on the tennis court. This has been a journey and a learning process for me. I went through such a life challenge confronting this disease and it’s given me such a mental boost. Coming back to tennis, I’ve learned that things are not as important in the grand scheme of things and that there are other factors in my life that are important to me…Like being the Sports Ambassador for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. “

martinafan
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:32 AM
WOW!

I didn't know she had already played her first match!!

GO CORINA!

Good Luck with the comeback - i think it's great that she's playing again! I hope she can reach her level of play before this incident!

MartinaI
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Wlecome Back Corina, this is fabulous news! Good luck, I hope you enjoy yourself and stay healthy!

Jakeev
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Uh Mark most of us don't even know she was back. Not much media coverage has been given about her return.

It is awesome she is back and I can only wish her the best of luck.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:02 AM
so glad she's back :) the 1st step is always the hardest

things can only get better :)

Frau Antje
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:04 AM
welcome back Corina :wavey:

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:06 AM
WELCOME BACK GIRL :D

Mattographer
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Welcome back, Corina!! :D

Nikki
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Welcome back, Corina:bounce:

Cam'ron Giles
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Great news. Welcome back...

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:25 PM
:kiss: Welcome back girl! :D

Cilla
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Welcome back Cori :kiss:

Sonja
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:57 PM
I kept hearing she was coming back, but didn't know she had actually played her first match.

Great to have you back Corina!

Julian
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Welcome back Corina!! A very long journey ahead but I hope she enjoys herself. :)

brickhousesupporter
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Welcome back Corina. Does she and Lindsay have any plans to play doubles together?

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:30 PM
welcome back Corina:)
all best of luck and health to her:D

~SunFlower~
Jul 10th, 2002, 02:31 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: WELCOME BACK CORINA! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Tratree
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:05 PM
What a fighter! Way to go, Corina :) Word is she and Lindsay will be playing doubles at Acura!

TS
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Welcome back Corina :) :) :) :kiss:

Elske
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:07 PM
:bounce: Welcome Back Corina!!! :bounce:

malaye
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:23 PM
You're right. One would have expected more press coverage !
Anyway, I am sure the other players gave her the welcome party she deserves.

I wish you all the best Corina. Enjoy your second life on the tour !

Becool
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Alex and Corina to play again :D

eshell
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Wow!!! Welcome back Corina! I didn't know she was returning so soon. I'm happy for her and her family.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:55 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Danke Anke
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Awesome news, so glad to see such a nice girl getting back to where she belongs... Best wishes Corina!!

mn73
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Transcript of World Team Tennis interview added at the top of this page.

Richie77
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:26 PM
Welcome back Corina! :)

Couver
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:49 PM
It's great to see her back, and doing so well. I hope she teams up with Lindsay for doubles at the US Open

brickhousesupporter
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Thanks Tratree. Good luck to Corina. Hope she can at least regain her pre-illness ranking.

GoSandrine
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:00 AM
Great news, Mark....I've been out of the loop lately. :o

Win or lose Corina's a BIGTIME winner in my book.

Welcome back, Corina....keep plugging! :D

Grice
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:38 AM
maybe Jennifer Capriati would walk onto court in her next tournament waving "Welcome back, Corina"... :rolleyes:

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Best wishes for Corina!!!! What wonderful news!!!