PDA

View Full Version : Chakvetadze was close to pulling out of Toronto

goldenlox
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Aug 14, 2007 04:30 AM
Matthew Chung
Sports Reporter

Anna Chakvetadze was so sick when she arrived for the Rogers Cup last Thursday she couldn't get out of bed, never mind swing a racquet.
Dogged by a cold she caught playing in a Tier One tournament in San Diego, the No. 6 ranked-player lay in her hotel room and wondered if she'd be able to play. Yesterday she said she'll be ready to go tomorrow.
"I'm still not practising two sessions a day," said the 20-year-old Russian. "I'm just hitting one session a day to save my energy for Wednesday."
This year's tournament has once again been plagued by top-seeded players withdrawing. John McEnroe yesterday called it "an epidemic."
But with the list of ailing players who showed up nearly rivalling those who didn't, the women here can commiserate.
"The U.S. Open series, there's always a lot of injuries because a lot of players are playing so many matches in a row," said Chakvetadze. "You have to give your body a rest a little bit."

Shepster
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Must be the same bug Daniela and Eleni had last week and the one JJ had the week before. Anna talked about it on her blog on the WTA website...

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1613

goldenlox
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Tour Takes Its Toll

'I Miss Home So Much'; Chakvetadze, Other Rising Stars Jam Their Schedules

Michael Traikos, National Post

Published: Tuesday, August 14, 2007
TORONTO - With her blonde hair and disarming smile, Russia's Anna Chakvetadze may be the next "It Girl" on the women's tennis scene.
But after competing in six straight events, the exhausted 20-year-old is starting to feel more like the "Sick Girl" of the tour.
Since the beginning of June, Chakvetadze has made it to the quarter-finals of the French Open, won a Tier III tournament in The Netherlands, advanced to the third round of Wimbledon, played two Federation Cup matches, won back-to-back tournaments in Cincinnati, Ohio, and Stanford, Calif., and reached the semi-finals in San Diego.

For her tireless efforts, she climbed two spots in the world rankings, to No. 6. But it was not without sacrifice.
The Muscovite, along with several other players at this week's Rogers Cup in Toronto, recently contracted an energy-sapping cold. That, along with the fact that she cannot quite remember the last time she visited home -- or received a haircut -- and it is not surprising that Chakvetadze had a difficult time keeping her eyes open at yesterday's news conference.
"I'm still alive," a droopy-eyed Chakvetadze joked. "I miss home so much now that I'm away for so much. It's crazy.
"When you're winning so many matches in a row, of course you get tired, but you get confidence. That's why you're playing so much, because you want to be confident before the Grand Slams."
For rising tennis stars, there is pressure to participate in as many tournaments as possible in order to raise their ranking. For Chakvetadze, there is an added benefit: the exposure helps others properly enunciate her name (chuk-veh-TAHDzeh).
"I think in France and Italy it's real difficult for them to pronounce my name," said Chakvetadze, whose friends call her A-Chak. "But they're getting better. When I played junior it was very bad. I even couldn't understand."
Chair umpires have received more practice this year. The fifth-year professional has competed in 15 tournaments in 2007 and heads into the Rogers Cup with an impressive 49-12 singles record.
Still, the hard-working Chakvetadze appears to be a slacker when compared to world No. 3 Jelena Jankovic, who has already competed in 20 tournaments. She also arrived in Toronto under the weather.
"I realize that most of the players are doing it, but it's tough on me," said Chakvetadze, who would much prefer the light schedule of world No. 1 Justine Henin, who has competed in just nine tournaments.
"She won the [French Open], so who cares?"
A Grand Slam has eluded Chakvetadze so far.
She lost to countrywoman Maria Sharapova in the quarters at both the French and Australian Opens.
She also lost to Sharapova, the world No. 2, in San Diego. But it was in the previous round of that tournament where the 5-foot-7, 128-pounder recorded the most memorable victory of her young career, a three-set win over Wimbledon champion Venus Williams.
"It was the biggest win, I think," Chakvetadze said. "It took a lot of power for me, that's why the next day I was really tired. The thing is, when you beat top players, of course you have confidence, but it's just one match. And you have to play a lot of matches in a row to be in the tournament."

Chakvetadze, who lists Troy as her favourite movie, realized last year that a lack of endurance was the Achilles heel of her game. So she worked on becoming fitter and stronger and created a demanding schedule that would test her durability.
"Last year I played maybe two tournaments in a row," she said. "If I played in the semi-finals or quarter-finals, I got tired ? when you get to the semi-finals, you may think it's a good result. But you want to win a tournament."
With four wins to her name this year, Chakvetadze's career has benefitted from the added workload. But the same cannot be said of her personal life or hygiene.
"I have so much stuff to do and I have no time for a hairdresser," Chakvetadze said of her waist-long locks, which last saw scissors more than 12 months ago.
"But now, after a year, maybe I'll cut it --just a little bit."
mtraikos@nationalpost.com

Wayn77
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Don't you dare cut those gorgeous, waist-long locks Princess Anna - just the pesky split-ends.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/brunsdon/king%20crimson/anna.jpg

Any developments on Chaks coaching situation?

polishprodigy
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:41 AM
yeah it was interesting

CD and I were wondering why so many people thought Anna C would withdraw, as we saw her practicing and smiling and being in such good spirits, and this was on 3 occasions over the last 3 days!

ViennaCalling
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Bombshell !!!!!!!!

Bruno71
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hope the residue of her cold doesn't last as long as it has JJ. Sounds like it's tough to shake.

*JR*
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Bombshell !!!!!!!!
Yep. :inlove: A blonde Russian Anna who's serious about winning, not just endorsements like the now retired bimbo (whose looks are ovarated anyway) but some posters here still make a such big deal about. Good thing Chaky didn't wind up in the Criminal Clutches of that "Consulting Coach" she worked with this spring. :tape:

goldenlox
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Must be the same bug Daniela and Eleni had last week and the one JJ had the week before. Anna talked about it on her blog on the WTA website...

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1613
Thanks for this. I didn't know Anna was blogging this week

August 13, 2007

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/library/200x250/chakvetadze%2007toronto%20blog%20200.jpg
© Action Images/Reuters

Chakvetadze's Toronto Blog

TORONTO, Canada - She keeps going from strength to strength. Last fall she cracked the Top 20, earlier this season she broke into the Top 10 and now Anna Chakvetadze sits at a career-high No.6 in the world, hot off of the heels of consecutive titles at Cincinnati and Stanford. Now, she heads to Toronto in the hunt for her second career Tier I title, and brings us all along for the ride in the latest Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player Blog.
-----
Monday, August 13, 2007
Hello everyone and welcome to my blog!
It has been a good summer for me. Of course, winning those titles in Cincinnati and Stanford helps a lot with my confidence - it's always great to win two titles in a row. But I got a cold after that - I'm still recovering, and it's tough.
After San Diego I went to Los Angeles to practice but I barely practiced, just once or twice, because I was sick. We came here to Toronto last Thursday and it's been getting a little better. I've been practicing for only about an hour a day so I can save as much energy as possible for my first match, which is on Wednesday.
Despite this situation, and having wanted to go right to sleep the moment I got here, I really like this city. Not only is the tournament well-organized - we have our own personal driver - but the city is nice as well. It's amazing the amount of Russians that live here! I was practicing with Svetlana Kuznetsova yesterday and so many people were watching us, maybe even more than the real matches! It's just like home, to know you'll have lots of support is a great feeling :)
We actually went to a Russian restaurant tonight. Our driver showed it to us! He told us that it was one of his favorite restaurants. I've been away from home for a month and I miss Russian food. We just got back and now I'm writing this...
It has been a pretty normal day for me. We did the All-Access Hour, where we do all of this media stuff. I was pretty tired so after that I went back to the hotel and didn't do too much until we went to the restaurant. I'd love to talk about some more exciting things, like that I went to a night club or something, but really this hasn't been too interesting a day! I probably won't do too much tomorrow either because I play Wednesday, but hopefully I'll have some more to talk about :)
I'll talk to you guys tomorrow!
Anna

pierce0415
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Anna won't be winning a GS anytime soon :dance:

frenchie
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:59 PM
That, along with the fact that she cannot quite remember the last time she visited home -- or received a haircut

:lol: :lol:

Interesting read! "A-Chak" has a nice personality

frontier
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I think Chakky will have a Dementieva type of career a perennial top ten player that might win a tournament here and there but no GS unfortunately.

goldenlox
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Lena is 25 and Anna is one title behind her at age 20.
I think Lena is having an excellent career with 2 slam finals, but Anna will probably win 20 plus tournaments. She is just getting started. No articles about her a year ago.

frontier
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I think of the younger Russians Sveta has the most potential of winning slams if she gets the mentality aspect together.As for Chakky I can safely say not now,she can win a lot of tier 3 but GS like Wimbledon,Australia,USA open no.Tiger put it nicely, quote"A champion is not defined by winning small tournaments but by Majors,thats the definination of greats".Roger is defined by 11 GS not small events.

DownTheLine21
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I actually think Chakvetadze could win a GS in her career, possibly at the US Open or the Australian Open. She has a very smart game, and, with some more firepower and a better serve, she could really challenge at the majors.

frontier
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:05 PM
The problem that the younger players have is that Justine and Serena will be around for the next five years and its going to be hard to win a major and the 20yr olds will be 25-26 which is considered middle age in tennis,unfortunately the 20-23yr olds will be 25-28 when these legends retire so there wont be many slams to go around and most players that play a lot fade at 24 to 25yrs look at Myskina.

moon
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM
glad she's playing. :)

DownTheLine21
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:56 PM
The problem that the younger players have is that Justine and Serena will be around for the next five years and its going to be hard to win a major and the 20yr olds will be 25-26 which is considered middle age in tennis,unfortunately the 20-23yr olds will be 25-28 when these legends retire so there wont be many slams to go around and most players that play a lot fade at 24 to 25yrs look at Myskina.

True. Although, as Justine and Serena get older, it seems unlikely (especially in Serena's case) that they will be able to play all four GS for the next five years.

sammy01
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM
im realy glad shes playing when i read she'd pulled out i was annoyed as i want to see her on eurosport this week!

Dasha_
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I hope Anna defends her Sf from last year (at least)

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Myskina's "fading" has nothing to do with playing a lot (she played more than 19 tournaments during the season only in 2002 and 2003). Olympics had done it to her. And I doubt one loss could destroy Chakvetadze's career... at least I hope it couldn't.
I agree with Goldenlox that Anna will win 15-20 titles (mostly Tier I and II) and in a couple of years she'll be the real Slam contender.

LudwigDvorak
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I strongly dislike Chakvetadze's game and attitude on court when it breaks down, but also yet another case of finding her blogs and personality adorable.

And about Chakvetadze's career, I think it's too soon to say she'll win 20+ titles. She can't possibly be on the gold exempt list, is she? If not, and she is next year, TIII & TIV titles will be much harder to come by since she can't play them. Although I don't know wtf the roadmap for 2009 is doing so maybe she can rack up the small titles again afterwards. On winning the big titles, I'm sure she'll grab some more TIs or something. But I'm going to reserve myself before calling her a potential slam champion.

LindsayRulz
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Anna! :hug:

It's great to see that she's playing even of she's sick :)

sammy01
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I strongly dislike Chakvetadze's game and attitude on court when it breaks down, but also yet another case of finding her blogs and personality adorable.

And about Chakvetadze's career, I think it's too soon to say she'll win 20+ titles. She can't possibly be on the gold exempt list, is she? If not, and she is next year, TIII & TIV titles will be much harder to come by since she can't play them. Although I don't know wtf the roadmap for 2009 is doing so maybe she can rack up the small titles again afterwards. On winning the big titles, I'm sure she'll grab some more TIs or something. But I'm going to reserve myself before calling her a potential slam champion.

that is like the best post i've read about chakvetadze by a none fan! its both insightful and not biased! chakvetadze seems to have split people down the middle they either realy like her or realy dont, which causes over zealous posts about her both for and against!

cometz9
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:35 PM
i'm glad she decided to play, she could be the US Open Series winner if she makes the SF at Toronto.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Yay Anna! I hope she recovers from her cold well enough to compete here. :D

JadeFox
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM
So Rapunzel is playing? Good.

And what's up with the flu epidemic that's been going on lately? Why are so many players sick?:confused:

No.1Hingis
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:44 PM
well.. in my opinnion.. she should withdraw.. I know that she did it last year.. but.. she can arrive into NY so tired.. and plus.. being sick.. is gonna be tough.. she should rest and get a full recovery .. all depends on what she gonna gain on playing Toronto that wont gain into the US Open.. the most for the less...

I hope, that bug just stay away from the players in NY, take care and get better Ana, good luck in Toronto and dont fall asleep in press interviews :lol:..

cosmoose
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:03 PM
How can anyone dislike...hate Anna C? :confused:
Its like saying I hate puppies...not possible! :lol: