PDA

View Full Version : What is a beat down?

supergrunt
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:03 AM
What do you consider not to be a whooping? I think that if a player wins seven or eight games, then it is respectable.

lympyisthebest
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I think winning 6 games is respectable.

Chunchun
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:53 AM
0-10 H2H to a pair of sisters?

In The Zone
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Beat down?
Definition: Australian Open 2007 Final. :D

disco_rage
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Hard to say i mean there is the obvious ones.. 6-0 6-0, 6-1 6-1 etc
BUT sometimes a score like 6-2 6-2 can look like a beatdown but the match could have been a lot closer than the scoreline shows.

Maybe it's more about time, lol, less than say 50 minutes is a beatdown?

ZeroSOFInfinity
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Definition of "Beat Down" in WTA = BRIE WHITEHEAD

mankind
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:53 AM
It's circumstantial. If a top top player loses 4 and 3 to a player similarly ranked to them, that's a beatdown, particularly if they're trying to prove themselves who is the better player.

Needless to say all the GS finals this year have been beatdowns :o

unkowilly
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Scorlines tell us nothing. You have to actually watch the match to call it anything.

miffedmax
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
It's simple. Any win by my favorite player is a beatdown. Any loss by my favorite is a good effort, unlucky, a fluke or she was robbed.

Wayn77
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:03 PM
The scoreline is irrelevant to a nice juicy beat down.

You know you've seen a good "beat down" when the defeated player storms off in a real huff, right after the end of the match. :drool:

(aka Nicky Vaidisova v Ivanovic at Wimbledon)

Realtennis
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM
The scoreline is irrelevant to a nice juicy beat down.

You know you've seen a good "beat down" when the defeated player storms off in a real huff, right after the end of the match. :drool:

(aka Nicky Vaidisova v Ivanovic at Wimbledon)
It's a low class "street" or prison lingo way to refer to particular player beating another very badly in a tennis match!

DownTheLine21
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Scorlines tell us nothing. You have to actually watch the match to call it anything.

True. Scores can often be deceiving. For example, a player may lose a set 6-2, but also may have pushed every game to deuce. This is hardly a "beat down."

Donny
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Scorelines aren't always the best indicator of a beatdown.

Depending on who's serving first, a single break can be either a 63 set or a 6 4 set.

Take the A0 07 final, and the Wimbldeon match between Venus and Maria. The AO 07 final had the more lopsided scoreline. But there an equal number of breaks in each match (4) for the winner, while never losing serve.

However, in the Wimbledon match, on the games Maria did hold, she had to fight off over a dozen break points. And Venus NEVER faced a breakpoint. In fact, she lost nine points on serve, two being double faults.

I'd argue that the Wimbledon match was more of a beatdown than the AO final.

Tennisstar86
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:34 PM

Depending on who's serving first, a single break can be either a 63 set or a 6 4 set.

Take the A0 07 final, and the Wimbldeon match between Venus and Maria. The AO 07 final had the more lopsided scoreline. But there an equal number of breaks in each match (4) for the winner, while never losing serve.

However, in the Wimbledon match, on the games Maria did hold, she had to fight off over a dozen break points. And Venus NEVER faced a breakpoint. In fact, she lost nine points on serve, two being double faults.

I'll give you that... lol but Im sure Maria felt the AO final was more of a beatdown... with the look in Serena's eye, AND the fact that she looked like she was about to pee in her pants....

I agree with the earlier poster. if a top player plays someone ranked low and the scoreline is 6-2, 6-2 thats not a beat down. but if they play a top player and do that then it is.....

There have been rare beat downs of the top players... I can only remember (Venus beatdown of Sharapova)....(Serena beatdown of Sharapova)....(Davenport beatdown of Sharapova 6-0,6-0).......

Olórin
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM

But then on your argument, you're still going by stats rather than actually watching the match.

The AO 07 was the biggest beatdown I've seen purely because of the way Serena was playing, it was a bigger beatdown than the 61 61 vicotry imo. Some of the shots Serena made to go up 5-0, I've never seen anything like them, and when she got a break point, she took it, no questions asked, she just hit winners at will. It was frightening. Venus pounded Maria and beat her down, but a beat down is more than about the tennis, it's about mental attitudes and the look in someone's eye, Serena was out to destroy Maria that day you could see it in her eyes, she didn't miss and she crushed Maria both mentally and physically in an hour winning nearly twice as many points. The way Maria praised Serena at the trophy presentation saying, she knew she could win it etc. It's the highest praise I've seen Maria give to another player after a "big" loss. Exemplification of a true mental humbling. She got over it I think though, she went into their Miami match thinking she could win, that's the fighter she is, but for a few hours (possibly days) after that AO Final Maria was broken.

Whereas after Venus' match, while she had been humiliated again, I just didn't get that same feeling that her spirit was broken, afterall she did save a lot of break points and fought very well, even if she was taken apart in the end.

There was just something implied in the subtext of that AO Final match that I've never seen before and I don't think I'll ever see again.

Olórin
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
It's circumstantial. If a top top player loses 4 and 3 to a player similarly ranked to them, that's a beatdown, particularly if they're trying to prove themselves who is the better player.

Needless to say all the GS finals this year have been beatdowns :o

Even against a fellow top player, I don't see how a 4 and 3 scoreline could be regarded as a beatdown. The ratio of games won is 12:7, it's just not bad enough to constitute a beat down.

I think the limits of a beat down, against a fellow top player, statistically at least have to be 62 63, 62 62 scorelines anything more such as 63 63 you've won a third of the games, and while a bad loss it's not like you've gone out there and embarassed yourself. But as has been said, you really have to watch a match and judge it on its own mertis, to decide if it's a beat down or not.

I guess you could distinguish if there's a difference between being beaten down and being humiliated. There are some 64 62 matches I've seen that perhaps I would call a beat down considering they were against someone ranked in the top 5, but that I wouldn't say the opponent has been humiliated.