PDA

View Full Version : Is Camille Pin the biggest choker of the WTA??

floco
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Seriously, how many matches has she lost deep in the third set??? :tape:

vadin124
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:24 AM
this year she has lost deep in the third set to MARIA SHARAPOVA, PATTY SCHNYDER and DINARA SAFINA

all top 20 players!!

p.s. 6-3 in third against Sugiyama hardly counts as deep

Harvs
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:25 AM
the match against maria was terrible. worst tennis i reckon i have ever seen professionaly, from both players... altho the condition were horrid lol

XaDavK_Kapri
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:30 AM
The number of matches in which she has blown leads this year, seriously...

Led 7-6 30-15 in the third against Sharapova in Australia, lost it 9-7
Led 5-2 in the third at Wimbledon against Schnyder, if I remember correctly, lost 8-6
Lost 64 67 67 to Morigami in Cincy... She probably had a lead somewhere in there
Led 5-0 serving in the first against Shahar Peer in Stanford..., lost 76 62

It's a pity, because she's really entertaining to watch, in some weird way :lol: If only she could pull out those matches and actually upset some players once in a while instead of just pushing them, it'd be even better. It's gotta hurt to never quite do it. :sad:

MakarovaFan
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Make that twice to Safina!!!!!!! Plus her infamous Open loss to Daniela 1/6 7/6 7/6!.And that Sugiyama match she was up a set and 2-0,and many chances for 4-4 in second.She also lost another 7/6 in 3rd to Morigami a few weeks ago...so yea she's a choker

Tennace
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:31 AM

Led 7-6 30-15 in the third against Sharapova in Australia
Led 5-2 in the third at Wimbledon against Schnyder, if I remember correctly
Lost 64 67 67 to Morigami in Cincy... She probably had a lead somewhere in there
Led 5-0 serving in the first against Shahar Peer in Stanford...

It's a pity, because she's really entertaining to watch, in some weird way :lol: If only she could pull out those matches and actually upset some players once in a while instead of just pushing them, it'd be even better. It's gotta hurt to never quite do it. :sad:

i think she had Safina on the ropes in Paris OGDF too

Tennace
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Yep, she lost 7-5 in the 3rd set TB to Safina in Paris

Bruno71
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Unfortunately this is the type of thing that happens when a player isn't a strong server. You need that kind of weapon to finish things off. JJ has this problem sometimes :sad:

GoDominique
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:38 AM
There are two problems:

1. When Camille has a lead, her opponent knows that Camille is not able to run away with it or to just hold serve easily until it's over, because her game is not like that. Thus her opponent knows she always has a chance to come back if she puts herself together and believes in herself.
2. Yes, Camille chokes. Badly. The match against Schnyder in Wimbledon she shouldn't have lost in a million years, no matter how weak her serve is.

I love her game but the choking must stop or else I will have to quit liking her. :(

NeeemZ
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:58 AM

Led 7-6 30-15 in the third against Sharapova in Australia, lost it 9-7
Led 5-2 in the third at Wimbledon against Schnyder, if I remember correctly, lost 8-6
Led 5-0 serving in the first against Shahar Peer in Stanford..., lost 76 62

She had match points, if I remember correctly.

selyoink
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:47 AM
No she isn't because she really has no business making it that deep in matches against those players as it is. Except for Patty on grass, that was totally expected to be close.

In the end her lack of a serve will always give top players plenty of chances to get back in the match.

Drake1980
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Camille:hug:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Top players like Safina don't hand away those big points. You have to EARN them. That's the problem with Camille's game. As tenacious as she is, she basically relies on other people making mistakes. That's going to affect you in the later stages of a match. It's not like she can just blast a big serve and avoid playing a rally on a crucial point. She's up against these huge power players and basically thinking, "Come on, miss. Please, please miss this one." I'm amazed she can do well as she does against the caliber of a Safina.

miffedmax
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Camille Pin isn't the biggest anything in the WTA.

In The Zone
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I do not think Pin chokes. Pin makes her opponents self destruct but when on the brink of defeat, they refuse to lose and Pin, like everyone has said, does not have that last punch to seal the deal.

alexia1huff
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:24 AM
there are other "great" chokers, groefeld is one of them, also u. radwanska she destroys herself, but 5 minutes later she can play top 50 game, an example final of wimbledon and qualies in bronx against kutuzova. (even though she won those)

unkowilly
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Jana Novotna was a lot bigger in that department. She could blow a lead no matter how big. I remember she lost to Rubin from 5-0, 40-0 in the third.
Pin's not a choker. She's just not good enough to close out those matches wehre she had it turned around.

Hashim.
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Pin :sad::smash:

mankind
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:00 AM
She just hasn't got a serve.

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:15 AM
This year she is, :sad: . If she hadn't chocked in those matches she would be ranked around #60 in the world, not #90 in the world :eek:. Hopefully she can improve on her nerves and closing out matches in the near future. :bounce:

Uranus
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM
She led 5-1 against Schnyder, and had MPs in Cincy. Yes she is a choker and her game doesn't help.

cellophane
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Pin didn't choke against Safina... Dinara just figured it out.

Keaka
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I do not think Pin chokes. Pin makes her opponents self destruct but when on the brink of defeat, they refuse to lose and Pin, like everyone has said, does not have that last punch to seal the deal.

Agree... :D

Srebotnik, Mauresmo, Hantuchova are all bigger chokers ;)

Conor
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Well what do you expect with a serve like that!! Shes liable to broken at anytime. The outcome of the match doesnt depend on Pin really, just how much the other player hits it out :lol: Safina managed to make enough balls just in the nick of time last night, she took the pace off the ball a bit, waited for the right shot then went for it. Saying that, theres something so fascinating about watching Pin play :scratch: :lol:

croat123
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:59 PM
pin's problem is that the match is rarely in her hands...everything depends on her opponents. most top players will refocus and grind it out when they are on the brink of defeat and pin can't do anything if her opponent isn't missing

gumoll
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM
she was also 0-5 down against Sharapova :p

Shepster
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Pin didn't choke at all last night. Second set she hit 2 unforced errors, that was fantastic in the conditions. Third set returned to normal and it was *all* on Dinara's racket. Reason #1 why Pin didn't choke last night = she held when behind in the game at 5-4. Reason #2 why Pin didn't choke last night = Safina hit 2 winners and 2 UEs in the final game and it was the winners that "won" it.