PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best fitness on the tour and who has the worse?

Aaron.
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Discuss :)

for me

Best fitness=Chakvetadze
Worst fitness=Bartoli

njnetswill
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:59 AM
AnnaC still seems fairly frail to me. :shrug:

As for Bartoli, has she lost matches because of her fitness? She isn't the most fit player but I think there are other players who get tired more easily. I'll try to come up with some examples.

heytennis
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Worst fitness could be Venus. She loses a lot of three setters. This could be because she has anemia though right?

Best fitness is maybe Dementieva?

frenchie
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:21 AM
best: Jankovic and Dementieva

worst: Petrova, krajicek, Bartoli, Amanmuradova

floco
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Best fitness, Mauresmo, Jankovic, Dementieva, Henin

Harvs
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:23 AM
i would say peer

and on the other hand, obviously groenefeld haha

Cp6uja
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:40 AM
In 2006 - Mauresmo, Dementieva, Schiavone and Peer
In 2007 - Jankovic, Stosur, Kuznetsova and Ivanovic

DefyingGravity
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Marion has pretty good fitness on her part. She outlasted Henin in a continual match, didn't she? And Henin makes EVERYONE run like hell. I think Marion's fitness is a little bit underrated.

Best Fitness: Jankovic, Ivanovic, and whoever else can show up at more than five tournaments at a time.

Worst Fitness: The rest of the field. They're all injured or sick.

Bruno71
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:57 AM
In 2006 - Mauresmo, Dementieva, Schiavone and Peer
In 2007 - Jankovic, Stosur, Kuznetsova and Ivanovic

I disagree with Kuznetsova. She can really wilt as matches against other top players progress.

best - Dementieva, Peer, Jankovic, Stosur, Sugiyama
worst - Bartoli, Petrova, Groenefeld

NeeemZ
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Best - Jankovic, Stosur and Peer (when in form)
Worst - Bartoli, Groenefeld

DownTheLine21
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Best: Dementieva, Jankovic (although she did seem to get very tired in the LA SF)
Worst: Petrova, Bartoli

Rod the Bama
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Best: Jankovic, Ivanovic
Worst: ALG, Bartoli

serenaforever
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Best fitness: JJ
Worst: Bartoli

Babolatpro880
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Best - Jankovic, Stosur and Peer (when in form)
Worst - Bartoli, Groenefeld

Form and fitness are not related. Either you're fit or you're not.

drake3781
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:20 AM
AnnaC still seems fairly frail to me. :shrug:

As for Bartoli, has she lost matches because of her fitness? She isn't the most fit player but I think there are other players who get tired more easily. I'll try to come up with some examples.

I agree with you and find all the Bartoli mentions annoying. (Not a fan; just saying.... )

friendsita
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Best fitness: deff Jelena
Worst fitness: so many...

goldlion
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Best: Jelena Jankovic or Ana Ivanovic ( both are very hard working )

Worst: Sharapova ( she can't even play for 2 straight weeks and needs withdrawls )

Hantu515
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Anabel Medina Garrigues is real fit. She looked like she could play forever when she beat Daniela at the French this year she won 4-6,7-6(2),7-5

lympyisthebest
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Daniela plays and wins a lot of her 3 setters.

SequeraFan
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:11 AM
best Sharapova
worst Serena CoWilliams

Mr.Kardashian
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM
BEST: Mauresmo, Stosur, Jankovic
WORST: i dont know....

The Kaz
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Best: Jankovic, Henin and Martina Muller :p
Worst: The William Sisters and Groenefeld

Dementinator
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Best is Dementieva without a doubt, many years with out injury and probably the fastest and strongest player out there, she can keep going for hours.

Worst Petrova, cant go 10 minutes without an injury and forever folding like a cheap tent whenever it gets tough.

There are other very fit players too ,Jankovic, Patty, etc and quite a few that seem to get injury after injury such as Golovin.

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I think the people who say Venus has the worst fitness on the tour really need to rethink that term.

-sugi-
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Best Dementieva, Camille Pin (possibly?)
Worst Groenefeld

CooCooCachoo
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Worst? Well, Grönefeld is bad now, obviously. Also, Natalie Grandin's physique has hampered her in getting higher up the rankings.

Medina
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Best: Henin, Dementieva

Worst: ALG, Bartoli..

stefi62
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Best: Cara Black, Francesca Schiavone, Tathiana Garbin
Worst: ALG, Marion, Nadia

Jenny.C.Fan
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Best- Patty, Amelie
Worst- ALG

Jakeev
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:15 AM
The best: Samantha Stosur. Just don't know why she isn't doing better in singles. After her, Jankovic, Dementieva, and Jill Craybas.

Worst: Romina Oprandi. She was on fire the early part of last year but injury woes have pretty much done her in. Hopefully, she will bounce back.

After her, you can say Marion Bartoli but you would think for someone who actually works as hard as she does would look a lot meaner and fitter than she does.

patch.
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Best - Elena and the Serbs

Worst - Bartoli.

lilimi
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:44 AM
in my definition of fitness
best: kirilenko, dechy, venus, dementieva
worst: ALG, mattek , bartoli, nadia (but marion and nadia are improving)

Shepster
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Depends entirely on your definition of the term. Fitness in an every day sense means who's in shape, fitness in an athletic context is either a/ who has the best endurance or b/ who stays healthy.

I wouldn't call Marion Bartoli "unfit" in a sporting sense because she's played 66 matches (including doubles for all of these total # of matches) this year and has a winning record in 3 set matches (in singles, same criteria to follow). Sporting wise the least fit players are the Williams sisters, they cannot stay healthy and compete for any extended period of time. Venus has a 5-5 record in 3 setters this year and has only played 42 matches, Serena's only played 32 this year due to injury. Also *whenever* Serena loses at a slam it is *always* blamed on injury/preparation (i.e. match fitness).

JJ, obviously, she's played 89 matches this year with over 20 3 setters in singles alone and a winning record. Hantuchova has played 71 matches this year with a 13-8 record in 3 set matches. Those were the two that sprung to mind.

Viktymise
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Best: Dementieva is the fittest, followed by Schnyder
Worst: ALG, Bartoli

So Disrespectful
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Stosur, Medina Garrigues, Dementieva, then Jankovic, in that order.

Worst is hard. Maybe Anna-Lena earlier this season. She's a bit fitter now though.

unkowilly
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM
The Williams sisters namely Venus and Serena have been among the fittest on the WTA tour obviously. If I had to add some more, I would say Kuznesova and Henin Hardenne. Kim Clijsters was good too although she's gone now.

unkowilly
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM
If I remember correctly, Anke Huber was quite "unfit" for tennis. She was a little overweight and couldn't run down any ball.

Hashim.
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM
best: Jankovic and Dementieva

worst: Petrova,ALG

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Sam has one of the best!

Lee-Waters
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I feel un-easy watching Hantuchova playing in long, brutal rallies- the trouble breathing afterwards is :o
I'd say Sugiyama has the best- even @ her age she moves so well and gets everything back ;)

RenaSlam.
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Best: Henin, Dementieva, Stosur
Worst: ALG :help: and Petrova's pot belly makes me want to hurl. Gross.

Wayn77
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:58 PM
not sure what is your defnition of fitness: speed? agility? athletism?

Best: Mauresmo, Schnyder, Jankovic, Dementieva, Henin

Worst: :angel:

kabuki
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Fit- Sugiyama, Black, Schiavone, Lena D.

Unfit- ALG, Hingis (fit looking, but not fit)

Shepster
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:26 PM
The Williams sisters namely Venus and Serena have been among the fittest on the WTA tour obviously.
Venus played the French Open, Wimbledon, Fed Cup, (some World Team Tennis) then San Diego and was talking about being exhausted. That's 16 matches (+ 2 doubles matches) in 10 weeks and then some WTT on top.

Chakvetadze played 28 singles and 13 doubles matches over the same time period before talking about exhaustion - 41 matches. Mirza played 20 singles and 14 doubles matches up to San Diego from the French and only talked about exhaustion in LA after playing 39 matches in 11 weeks. Bartoli talked about exhaustion after playing 19 singles matches in 6 weeks and was feeling it 3 weeks after Wimbledon. Jankovic also complained of exhaustion post Wimbledon, she'd had 19 singles matches since the French and a winning mixed doubles run in there plus a Fed Cup match before she hit the wall. Even if you exclude the French the time Venus took to get to "exhausted" was 13 singles matches in 6 weeks, plus some WTT.

Nobody would look at Marion Bartoli and say she was "fitter" than Venus, but Venus would not physically be able to handle Bartoli or JJ's schedule at all. Like I said before, there's a difference between fitness in the general sense of the term and the sporting sense of the term.

supergrunt
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Depends entirely on your definition of the term. Fitness in an every day sense means who's in shape, fitness in an athletic context is either a/ who has the best endurance or b/ who stays healthy.

I wouldn't call Marion Bartoli "unfit" in a sporting sense because she's played 66 matches (including doubles for all of these total # of matches) this year and has a winning record in 3 set matches (in singles, same criteria to follow). Sporting wise the least fit players are the Williams sisters, they cannot stay healthy and compete for any extended period of time. Venus has a 5-5 record in 3 setters this year and has only played 42 matches, Serena's only played 32 this year due to injury. Also *whenever* Serena loses at a slam it is *always* blamed on injury/preparation (i.e. match fitness).

JJ, obviously, she's played 89 matches this year with over 20 3 setters in singles alone and a winning record. Hantuchova has played 71 matches this year with a 13-8 record in 3 set matches. Those were the two that sprung to mind.

You seem to attack them whenever you have a chance :D !

Thanx4nothin
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Fitness in terms of never getting tired during a match, I'd actually go Serena, she gets injured sometimes but in terms of stamina, she usually looks better towards the end than at the beginning, maybe Pin as well.

Worst - Petrova, Vaidisova, Sharapova.

Shepster
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:02 PM
You seem to attack them whenever you have a chance :D !
It's probably the British sensibility in me. There's a footballer called Darren Anderton whose nickname is "sicknote" because he's injured so much. Nobody who follows football would say Anderton was a fit player. What were his problems? Fitness related. Depends entirely on how you view the term. Now, if you ask who has the best physique, who is in the best *shape* then I'll be mentioning Serena's name near the top of the list. There is also a difference between being "athletic" and "fit". If I'm talking athleticism Venus is probably unparalleled, but her *fitness* prevents her from doing that on anything resembling a regular basis.

Don't mistake "not praising" (or not slating Sharapova :p) for "attacking" ;) I also think Serena's 3 set win record this year is down to a major strength of hers, which is determination and belief. The mental side of the game gets her through matches (think AO this year, v Dani @ Wimbledon) - in her case I don't think it's physically outlasting opponents it's mentally grinding them down. Trouble is that determination to carry on and "die trying" led to her injury which has kept her out for months and had an adverse effect on her fitness. This makes her undercooked and is why every slam she doesn't do well in it's always the same story - injury in the tournament or lack of preparation. That's down to match fitness and very few if any have had it worse over the last few years.

GracefulVenus
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Kuznetsova, Jankovic

Wayn77
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM
could I make an honourable mention to one of the tours 'older' babe's?

watching her match right now ...

At 32 years of age and still playin pretty well:

Ai Sugiyama looks incredibly fit :eek: :worship: