PDA

View Full Version : Justine Henin and Marion Bartoli on their post-Wimbledon blues

DelMonte
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Henin keen to get over Wimbledon loss with good show in Toronto

The Associated Press
Monday, August 13, 2007
TORONTO: Justine Henin still has a bitter taste in her mouth from the way she exited Wimbledon.

The world's top-ranked woman returns to the WTA Tour at this week's Rogers Cup for the first time since her stunning defeat to unseeded Marion Bartoli of France in the Wimbledon semifinals more than five weeks ago. Henin blew a set and a break lead.

"Wimbledon, it seems far away from me now, but it's true that I have also a feeling that I need a little bit of revenge from that," Henin said on Monday. "I could be very calm and understand what did happen. It's tough, you need a lot of humility.

"But it's very important that you can come through these pretty tough moments, and now I have to look forward and in the future and be focused on my goals, and try to learn a lot of things from that experience."

She hopes to produce a better memory in Toronto, where she won the Rogers Cup in 2003 and lost the final in 2005 to fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters.

"Toronto is a lot of good memories, it's a very special tournament to me so I'm very happy I could make it, and I hope I'm going to have a good one," she said.

The 25-year-old Henin has amassed a 38-4 win-loss record this season, capturing five titles including the French Open.

But she pulled out of the tournament in San Diego two weeks ago with injuries to both of her wrists.

"It's getting much better," she said of her wrist woes.

Her psyche has taken a turn for the better too since a much-needed vacation following Wimbledon.

"We had a wonderful time for 10 days — forget about tennis and forget about Wimbledon and I had to take a very good rest for my wrist and I was back to work two and a half weeks ago," she said. "I'm fresh mentally for the end of the season now."

Bartoli, meanwhile, was also hoping to get back on track since she stole the spotlight at the All England Club.

The 22-year-old upended two of the world's top three players — Henin and No. 3 Jelena Jankovic — at Wimbledon before losing to Venus Williams in the final.

She returned to action for the Bank of the West Classic, but lost in her first match to Lilia Osterloh (ranked 106th). Last week, she was ousted in the second round of the East West Bank Classic by Russian Maria Kirilenko.

"It's hard to bounce back after such great results, especially because it was the first time for me," Bartoli said of her recent results. "I think I came back to the tour a little too early, I think it was a mistake. My body was so tired, I just got sick."

She's also been struggling with an injury to her right wrist that's been bothering her since battling the powerful Williams at Wimbledon.

"I've never experienced that kind of serve before . . . it was too much 'first time in a row,'" she said.

Bartoli pointed out it was her first time playing in a grand slam final, and her first time facing Williams, who serves at a blistering 125 miles an hour.

"It was just too much 'first time,'" Bartoli said.

Her wrist still bore a pronounced tan line on Monday from the tape she's been wearing to speed the healing. But she insists she's fine.

"I feel I've recovered well and now I'm ready to go on court and compete at my best level."

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/13/sports/NA-SPT-TEN-Rogers-Cup-Henin.php

Pureracket
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Damn, Venus near 'bout broke the woman's wrist!

DefyingGravity
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:40 AM
VENUS!!! I know one thing, I would never return her serve ever in my life. I would let it go. Even if my life depended on it. If it hurts someone on their backhand and forehand (two handed), and my best shot is my two handed backhand return, I'd have hell!

bridgepea
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I believe the same thing happened to Justine as well. After she played Serena at Wimbledon she said that her wrists and shoulders. And this was a Serena who was playing a one handed backhand slice shot. Dang. Those girls must be real powerhouses.

RenaSlam.
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:52 AM
venus :worship:

supergrunt
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:58 AM
That's what she gets for throwing her hands in the air like some kind of freakin' mad dog after beating Serena with one arm and then going into the press conference and saying that there was nothing wrong with her. Guess it doesn't pay to be catty. Karma. :p

JeremySun
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:04 AM
VENUS!!! I know one thing, I will never return her serve ever in my life. I would let it go. If it hurts someone on their backhand and forehand (two handed), and my best shot is my two handed backhand return, I'd have hell!

You? Who the heck do you think you are???? You are never good enough to play Venus in a tournament.

Good job Venus, almost broke Marion's darn wrists to end her career once and for all. I'm so proud of you.

DefyingGravity
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:09 AM
You? Who the heck do you think you are???? You are never good enough to play Venus in a tournament.

Good job Venus, almost broke Marion's darn wrists to end her career once and for all. I'm so proud of you.

Okay, honestly...I'm not really going to return her serve. I've returned serves around 115 and I can handle those a little bit (I know because the person on my high school team was clocked at 115. We have a radar gun). I'm just saying figuratively

JeremySun
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:11 AM
Okay, honestly...I'm not really going to return her serve. I've returned serves around 115 and I can handle those a little bit (I know because the person on my high school team was clocked at 115. We have a radar gun). I'm just saying figuratively

Okay. Okay. I get you. PS: I may have sounded a bit harsh there. :o

Next time, Venus, PLEASE break Marion's wrists, I really can't stand her serves. :o

mykarma
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:13 AM
You crazy. :lol:

vejh
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Serena may have had a weaken bh but her serves were on fire at Wimby.

DefyingGravity
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:14 AM

Next time, Venus, PLEASE break Marion's wrists, I really can't stand her serves. :o

Oh, okay. No hard feelings?

serenaforever
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:37 AM

Ya think? Youre crazy on this board too :rolleyes:

DavidEllul
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:50 PM
That's what she gets for throwing her hands in the air like some kind of freakin' mad dog after beating Serena with one arm and then going into the press conference and saying that there was nothing wrong with her. Guess it doesn't pay to be catty. Karma. :p

you are such a bitch

Donny
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:22 PM
you are such a bitch

http://www.goenglish.com/GoEnglish_com_ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.gif

schorsch
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM
i'd love to return a serve like that. providing i'd even get there in time :haha:

kiwifan
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM

I was just about to post exactly this only with a "damn" before the word "near" :lol:

Good luck Bartoli, I'm still on your awkward little bandwagon. :hug:

supergrunt
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
http://www.goenglish.com/GoEnglish_com_ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.gif

:lol: