PDA

View Full Version : Venus And Serena On The Verge Of Being In The Top 10 Together Once Again!!

jrollaneres25
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:53 PM
With Serena at #8 and Venus at #13, American Tennis is looking up going into the U.S. Open and towards the YEC's.;) It's been quite sometime since Vee and Rena enjoyed each other's company in the elite Top 10 in the world, but I think it's bogus that they still could get beat out of the YEC's by 2nd rated players.

I believe that if you win a Major in the year, then you should automatically qualify...like the men do. It really upset's me that Nadia Petrova still has a chance to take Venus or Serena's spot b/c of computer rankings. The last time I watched the YEC's was in 2004 when Serena played. What do you guys think?

http://tennis.com/uploadedImages/Tournaments/2007/Australian_Open/General/2007_01_27_Williams_article.jpghttp://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_13_vwilliams_232_gettyimages_a_livesey.jpg

starin
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM
With Serena at #8 and Venus at #13, American Tennis is looking up going into the U.S. Open and towards the YEC's.;) It's been quite sometime since Vee and Rena enjoyed each other's company in the elite Top 10 in the world, but I think it's bogus that they still could get beat out of the YEC's by 2nd rated players.

I believe that if you win a Major in the year, then you should automatically qualify...like the men do. It really upset's me that Nadia Petrova still has a chance to take Venus or Serena's spot b/c of computer rankings. The last time I watched the YEC's was in 2004 when Serena played. What do you guys think?

http://tennis.com/uploadedImages/Tournaments/2007/Australian_Open/General/2007_01_27_Williams_article.jpghttp://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_13_vwilliams_232_gettyimages_a_livesey.jpg

Yes its an absolute joke that someone like Petrova could take Serena's spot at the YEC. Venus, I can understand cuz she's so erratic, that she seemingly can only play one good tournament a year. But still it would infinitely more interesting to see Venus play YEC than Petrova. But really it's pathetic that Serena could be put out by Petrova when Serena has won a Slam, won the biggest Tier I tourney, and been to the QF of FO and Wimbledon, only losing to the no.1 player in the world. While Petrova has pretty much done nothing all year.

Shepster
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Here's the thing - the Williamses get their success by playing the schedule they do. Their bodies couldn't take the 21-25 tournaments a year most girls in the top 30 on the tour do so you shouldn't *hinder* the girls who take the tour seriously from getting in the tour championships. Will you get the best 8 players in the world on their day? No. Will you get the 8 players who benefitted the tour the most? Yes.

Wayn77
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I think you guys (or gals) need to get 'laid' occasionally.

Chill out - maybe smoke a little of de herb, read some fine literature (could I recommend Doestoevsky's Crime & Punishment) .... and travel. You are taking this all much too seriously guys. :D :angel:

friendsita
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:14 PM
that's great!!!

soomaal
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:24 PM

Chill out - maybe smoke a little of de herb, read some fine literature (could I recommend Doestoevsky's Crime & Punishment) .... and travel. You are taking this all much too seriously guys. :D :angel:

One of the best posts ever written on this site EVER!!:D

Morrissey
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Why do people care so much about the YEC? The Williams Sisters don't care about it. They got their millions, and they still win grand slams. The sisters are doing things their way. The YEC is not important at the end of a career no one gives a crap about how many YEC you win. Its all about how many SLAMS you win.

serenaforever
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:51 PM
:banana:

misael
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM
The Pierce/ Mauresmo final a couple of years back was awesome.Anyway , Serena won it once and was in the finals twice.I love the year end championships, when they played in madison Square Gardens, I always went, saw Venus ,Davenport, Hingis, Seles, Graf, Kornikova,and Kim all playing there.

ptkten
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. If Serena and Venus do well at the US Open, they'll more than likely qualify for the YEC, even though they probably won't go anyway.

TSequoia01
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM

I think maybe will take a portion of your advice. :angel: :cool:

SV_Fan
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Here is what I got to say once the YEC get the prestige of Wimbledon the Irony of the Australian, Beauty of the french and the homelyness of the U.S. it's just another tournement you know. I mean sure you get a million dollars if you win but Venus and Serena made that and more winning a slam sooooooo....... It's just another tournement

spartanfan
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Why do people care so much about the YEC? The Williams Sisters don't care about it. They got their millions, and they still win grand slams. The sisters are doing things their way. The YEC is not important at the end of a career no one gives a crap about how many YEC you win. Its all about how many SLAMS you win.

Exactly. Venus and Serena could give a rats ass about the YEC. They'd rather get the extra week of vacation in instead.

Venus+Serena#1fan
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Well I think the sisters should give a fuck about the YEC.
Sure it's not a grand Slam but it's a huge event whre only the top 8 play, and to win it you have to beat the very best and be in top form.
It would be a disgrace to the tour if players just threw the chance to play it away and it basically outlines the main reason why the ATP tour is more succesfull, the players want to play the masters and its a major goal for them.

So if the sisters make it they better show up, win it and get that ton of ranking points they need!

WF4EVER
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:39 AM
The rules are set for everyone, including Venus and Serena Williams. If they do not abide by the rules then you can not blame anyone else if the outcome doesn't favour them.

Manatee, I know Venus is inconsistent but she has had solid results this year (forget how she lost the matches she did) and has played more tennis than Serena so why would you favour Serena over her if the rules were different?

It's the same old story, though, when it's not the rankings, it's the YEC. From my experience following both sisters they have never cared to attend the YEC anyway so why is a big deal being made about them qualifying?

serenaforever
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I thought the point of this thread was that the WS were both going to be Top 10?
Why are you guys arguing about YEC?

misael
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Of course they care, all you people saying that they don't care, the proof is in the pudding , Serena was eligable to play six(6) times and made the finals twice(2) and won once. If she did'nt care , then why would she play.

darrinbaker00
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:16 AM
You do realize, of course, that neither Williams sister has won a Slam. They've both won majors, but only Maureen Connolly, Margaret Court and Steffi Graf have won a Slam.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Let's hope for women's tennis that they both do well at the us open

go hingis
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Would they turn up if they made it? And if you don't usually watch the YEC why do you care?

ico4498
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:35 AM
You do realize, of course, that neither Williams sister has won a Slam. They've both won majors, but only Maureen Connolly, Margaret Court and Steffi Graf have won a Slam.

correct me if i'm wrong ... in tennis yah got 4 slams per annum. win them all within a calendar year yah got the grand slam?

each major is a slam?

misael
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:37 AM
A Grand Slam Is All 4 In A Calender Year,.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:05 PM

what are you peeking in my windows or something?:eek:

azinna
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
correct me if i'm wrong ... in tennis yah got 4 slams per annum. win them all within a calendar year yah got the grand slam?

each major is a slam?

A Grand Slam Is All 4 In A Calender Year,.

Yes, the distinction is between slam and The Grand Slam, not slam and major.

EDIT: For AnnaK_4ever (http://wtaworld.com/member.php?u=45010) below. Yes, technically you could call a single Wimbledon or French Open a Grand Slam title. This often causes mucho confusion and it's best to simply call the FO a slam tournament, then reserve the Grand Slam (calendar or non-calendar) for instances when a player holds all four slam tournaments.

Great post/advice...although I much prefer D's The Brothers Karamazov.....

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Help me with my English, please.
If winning four Grand Slam tournaments during the same year means winning a Grand Slam then how do you call win at one of Grand Slam tournaments? :confused:

P.S.
I've always had troubles with these a/the articles but for some reason (most probably it was my ignorance) I thought:
1) a Grand Slam = one of four GS tournaments
2) the Grand Slam = four GSs during one year

jonny84
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:35 PM
It is six and two threes really.

Grand Slam winners do deserve a place at the Year Ending Championships becasue they have won a major that year. But it is unfair as it is a reflection of the whole year. Nadia probably deserves her place cos she has worked hard all year (although she does get there by entering most tournaments she can).

Tennisstar86
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:42 PM
And this is new? lol we knew once Venus won wimbledon all they have to do is show up at the US open win 1 round and they'll both be in the top ten since neither has any points to defend there....

As far as the YEC... i do just see them as another tournament. The WTA should change it to GS winners get automatic bids into the championships and then the next 4 girls get in after them.... Because clearly the premise is having the best girls of the year there fighting it out to determine who is "better" for the year. and lets face it. the top 10 is really not as dominate as it was a few years ago when Venus, Serena, Davenport, Hingis, Capriati, Justine, Seles, Pierce were in it.......

Direwolf
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM
And this is new? lol we knew once Venus won wimbledon all they have to do is show up at the US open win 1 round and they'll both be in the top ten since neither has any points to defend there....

As far as the YEC... i do just see them as another tournament. The WTA should change it to GS winners get automatic bids into the championships and then the next 4 girls get in after them.... Because clearly the premise is having the best girls of the year there fighting it out to determine who is "better" for the year. and lets face it. the top 10 is really not as dominate as it was a few years ago when Venus, Serena, Davenport, Hingis, Capriati, Justine, Seles, Pierce were in it.......

i think that Serena has QF points or was that 4R not sure..
cuz i think Mauresmo was number 1 last year..
and recieved 2 bagels from Sharapova and 1 from Serena in USO...

anyways..

A Slam- is winning one of the 4 Grand Slams
the Grand Slam- is winning all 4 in ONE year
Golden Grand Slam- winning all four and the Olympics

what do you call
Winning the 4 GS, the Olympics, and the YEC?
or
winning all four GS, olympics, YEC and FedCup?

Direwolf
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I think that If Vee at her almost worst, make atleast the QF of the tourneys she plays..
then.. she would be in top 10...

GracefulVenus
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM

my idol!:worship:

ico4498
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Yes, the distinction is between slam and The Grand Slam, not slam and major.

EDIT: For AnnaK_4ever (http://wtaworld.com/member.php?u=45010) below. Yes, technically you could call a single Wimbledon or French Open a Grand Slam title. This often causes mucho confusion and it's best to simply call the FO a slam tournament, then reserve the Grand Slam (calendar or non-calendar) for instances when a player holds all four slam tournaments.

Great post/advice...although I much prefer D's The Brothers Karamazov.....

thanks for the clarification! :wavey:

jrollaneres25
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Well, I really just hope that they don't end up on the same side of the draw. And I do believe they care about the YEC's

Tennisstar86
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Well, I really just hope that they don't end up on the same side of the draw. And I do believe they care about the YEC's

I dont care if they meet on the same side of the draw or not... I just hope they meet this year.... Im really excited to see them play each other again...cause i feel like this time both really want it. and it would be a great battle to watch.....

ALSO I dont think they care about the YEC at leat not Venus as she skipped them in 2001 when she was on top of her game... and also in 200 if im not mistaken....

jrollaneres25
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I dont care if they meet on the same side of the draw or not... I just hope they meet this year.... Im really excited to see them play each other again...cause i feel like this time both really want it. and it would be a great battle to watch.....

ALSO I dont think they care about the YEC at leat not Venus as she skipped them in 2001 when she was on top of her game... and also in 200 if im not mistaken....

Yeah, but she played it the very next year, and then in 2004, she tried her best to snag on e of the last spots by entering 2 last-minute tourneys.

The Kaz
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM
:zzz:

frenchie
Aug 16th, 2007, 01:04 PM
With Schnyder win yesterday and Amélie's withdrawal, Serena will be seeded top8 and Venus will be seeded 13 at best

Venus and Serena have now 25% of "chance" to meet in the 4th round of the USO

jrollaneres25
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:38 AM
With Schnyder win yesterday and Amélie's withdrawal, Serena will be seeded top8 and Venus will be seeded 13 at best

That's cool. I'm sure after the US Open Venus and Serena WILL be in the top 10 together

super_vee
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Hmmm, I thought that because Dementieva and Safina lost early, that she'll now be seeded 12th. She was 12th, Schnyder overtook her by winning first round but then Amelie withdrew = number 12 no? :confused:

Unless Golovin can win the title or something, I thought that Venus has now assured herself a number 12 seeding.

In The Zone
Aug 17th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Hmmm, I thought that because Dementieva and Safina lost early, that she'll now be seeded 12th. She was 12th, Schnyder overtook her by winning first round but then Amelie withdrew = number 12 no? :confused:

Unless Golovin can win the title or something, I thought that Venus has now assured herself a number 12 seeding.

You are correct. I was rooting for Safina so bad tonight because if Safina had made the SF ( beating Bartoli and then Yan ), Safina would be 12 and Venus 13. I do not want Venus and Serena facing one another.

By Safina's loss, Venus is now # 12. Unless Bartoli wins the entire title, pushing Serena out of the top 8, mathematically, the sisters have a chance of drawing one another in the R16 at the US Open.