PDA

View Full Version : Hingis game on a scale from 1-10

G1Player2
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:04 AM
I'm not really a Martina Hingis fan but I decided to make her gam on a 1-10 scale, in every aspect of tennis. I just didn't feel like doing all Top 10 players even though I will get to all.

MARTINA HINGIS-

SERVE
1st serve- 6.5
2nd serve- 5.5

GROUNDSTROKES- 6.5
Forehand- 6.0
Backhand- 8.0

ANGLES- 8.0

PLACEMENT- 9.0
Technique- 9.5
Shot making ability- 9.5

COURT AWARENESS- 9.0
COURT FINESSE- 9.5

ANTICIPATION- 10

FOOTWORK-8.0
Court movement- 7.0
Quickness- 7.0
Court coverage- 6.5
Off the Mark- 7.0

NET PLAY- 9.5
Volleys- 9.0

MENTAL TOUGHNESS- 7.0
Focus- 8.5

x OVERALL SCORE- 7.9

jomar
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:14 AM
I give her 8.5 overall...she jaz needs to improve her service game and she'll be on top again.:angel:

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:19 AM
I to clueless to speak about techniques but I would not give her a 7 for mentall tougness, hello she choked 4 matchpoints away in a grandslam, that's almost as worse as Steffi choking against novotna in a grand slam once!

MENTAL TOUGHNESS- 5(and then I am still nice)

jomar
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Yeah...Marti is not mentally strong enough to win her first Grandslam at 16....:angel:

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:35 AM
yeah but that was 1997, this is 2002 :angel:

spencercarlos
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Hingis baseline game 9
Hingis game at net 9.5
Hingis serve game 4
Hingis return game 9

Overall for me she is on a 8 game.. but her serves lets down so much, tecnically and mentally, its hard for her, i hope someday she can get a better service motion to give her a better second serve

jomar
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:38 AM
irma, I agree....but 1997 is an indication that she can be tough mentally if she wants to.;)

ASTRID
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:51 AM
martina's serve 5.5
martina's aticipation 10
at the net 10
quickness 9
backhand 9

overall around 8.5

gooo marti

with an inproved serve martina will be alot stronger

R. DIS
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Serve 4
Backhand 7
Forhand 5
Quickness 8
Net 7

Overall 6.2

SM
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:15 AM
MARTINA HINGIS-

SERVE
1st serve- 7.5 - considering her size
2nd serve- 5.0 - functional

GROUNDSTROKES- 9.5
Forehand- 9.0
Backhand- 10.0

ANGLES- 10.0

PLACEMENT- 9.0
Technique- 10.0
Shot making ability- 9.0

COURT AWARENESS- 10.0
COURT FINESSE- 8.0

ANTICIPATION- 10

FOOTWORK- 9.0
Court movement- 7.0
Quickness- 7.0
Court coverage- 7.0
Off the Mark- 7.0

NET PLAY- 9.5
Volleys- 9.0

MENTAL TOUGHNESS- 5.0
Focus- 9.0

Couver
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Actually I think she averages everything at about an 8 or a 9. She's pretty consistent with like all her shots.

She has I noticed worked on her serve, which IMO is a lot better than it used to be.

The only thing I would grade her low on is mental strength. Since about late 2000 it has not been that high. I would give it about a 5

Buitenzorg
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Martina HINGIS

Overall points : 9.6

*0.4 deducted from her poor serve, everything else is Perfect!

smartina HINGIS

moby
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:22 AM
the mental toughness part isnt that bad actually
she was playing the comeback queen ya know...

jenn threw away 8 matchpoints against venus but i'd hardly say she's weak mentally

Williams Rulez
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Katulampa
Martina HINGIS

Overall points : 9.6

*0.4 deducted from her poor serve, everything else is Perfect!

smartina HINGIS Please be objective if it is even possible... 0.4 for serve? :rolleyes:

MARTINA HINGIS-

SERVE
1st serve- 7
2nd serve- 4

GROUNDSTROKES
Forehand- 6.5
Backhand- 10

ANGLES- 9

PLACEMENT- 9.5
Technique- 10
Shot making ability- 9.5

COURT AWARENESS- 9
COURT FINESSE- 9.5

ANTICIPATION- 10

FOOTWORK-8
Court movement- 7
Quickness- 5
Court coverage- 6.5
Off the Mark- 7

NET PLAY- 9.5
Volleys- 9.0

MENTAL TOUGHNESS- 7.0
Focus- 9.0

Harju.
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Make it simple.. overall.. 8.2

Jamy
Jul 10th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Martina in 1999 was a 10 and she still is a 10. If she had half the power of the big girls, she would be unbeatable.

barmaid
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Martina scores 9's and 10's in most categories because she is that consistent..but her serve needs to improve...that's her only weakness along with a tougher mental rating..which would be around 5.5 - whereas she could and has reached finals with that weakness before...not anymore...not after seeing the serving weapons exhibited by the Williams sisters at Wimbledon..so get cracking Marti....thats the area you've got to improve upon....otherwise you and Monica will tred water between #5 and 15th place!! :eek:

barmaid:wavey:

venusfan
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Overall, I give her a 7

Can only do damage outside the top 5 these days..

RockSteady
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Really, that's why she beat #4 & 5 in her last match, and had eight match points against #3, has a winning record against #2?

Anyway...a few months ago I wrote a super-long breakdown of Hingis' complete game, so maybe I'll dig it out of the bottom of the forums if I feel like it.

1st SERVE- 7 Better than most players, nice placement, but doesn't win her free points. Against anyone outside the top 10, it doesn't hurt her.
2nd SERVE- 5 Never double faults, nice placement, but so slow and loopy and weak! Her weakpoint (one of them).

FOREHAND- 7 Never misses, too defensive
BACKHAND- 9 Never misses, powerful, great angles, good defensive slice

ANGLES- 9 Hits decent angles from the baseline, but when she gets into the court, hits "extreme angles", taking off the pace. Good stuff.

PLACEMENT- 9 Her opponent always questions line call because she hits so many of them.
TECHNIQUE- 10 She does nothing wrong technically. She is by-the-book, what-you-should-teach-your-kids style.
SHOT MAKING- 9 Best on tour, but not a 10 because she freezes up against some of the power players.

COURT AWARENESS- 10 Her strongest point
COURT FINESSE- 10 Her other strongest point

ANTICIPATION- 10 Her other strongest point

FOOTWORK- 9 She never stumbles over herself. Sort of a useless category.
COURT MOVEMENT- 8 Great foward movement, combined with anticipation.
QUICKNESS- 7 A quick player, not fast
COURT COVERAGE- 6 Her weakest point other than second serve. She anticipates and gets to dropshots, but side-to-side, she is not fast at all. Of the top ten, only Lindsay, Monica, and Jelena are slower. Early this year, however, in Australia, this was an eight. Fluctuates with her weight and fitness.
OFF THE MARK- 9 Anticipation

NET PLAY- 9 Perfect but underused
VOLLEYS- 9 Perfect but underused. Has mastered high volleys, low volleys, the smash, great swinging volleys, and lots of sidespin. Now GET UP THERE MARTINA!

MENTAL TOUGHNESS- 6 Before the US Open 2000 loss, was an 11/10. Since then, things have been grim...
FOCUS- 7 Never unfocused, but never seems to care too much

FINAL AVERAGE: 8.25

barmaid
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Good analysis Rock, that about sums it up!!:D

barmaid:wavey:

Dawn Marie
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:46 PM

When she became injured, whether she will rise above this will remain to be seen. Right now I can only go on, her last couple of months that she was active. From what I seen of her "just hitting the ball back",she was not her best.

She is a great player, but I think she deserves a 5.5 at the moment.

VenusSerena
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:23 PM
I will Give Martina Hingis a 10 over all. She has wonderful strokes and shots, but her main problem is, they aren't enough. She can't hit out right winners, aces, service winners, she has to earn her points or have them given to her. But on a scale of her game she gets a 10. On a scale of her against top players like Venus and Serena. She gets about a 3 against Serena and a 4 against Venus

Asmus
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:29 PM
RockSteady I agree with your assessment entirely! Right on the mark!

RockSteady
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Why Thankyou! Thankyou Everyone! ::bows::

:wavey:

ot1962
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:20 PM
For overall weighted level, i would give her 5.
I had to split her performances in two, since she is a different player when player against TRADITIONAL style or mediocre MODERN STYLE players.

Against Top MODERN STYLE players, she gets 3.
Against the rest (ie. TRADITIONAL or mediocre MODERN style players), she gets 10.

After adding opponent quality points, match quality points, etc., i arrived at 5 overall.

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:37 PM
I have only really been into tennis for about a year.
I have seen most of the top ten players players play at one point or another..........
here is a few things i have noticed:
WILLIAMS,CAPRIATI: major weapon: power
HENIN (AND MAURESMO):MAJOR WEAPON: Backhand

My question about Hingis is........ (i have not really seen her play)
What is her one major weapon that sets her aside from everyone else? Or is it just her overall game??????

eshell
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:38 PM
I'd give Martina Hingis an 8 overall. Her serve holds her back. If she improves her serve, I think that she will be nearly unbeatable.

Nimi
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:01 PM
just overall game

here comes the Williams fan who will rank her 4/10
than comes the Hingis fans who will rank her 9.5/10
but is the objective fans will be here, she will get about an 8/10

G-Ha
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:11 PM
I am in no way a Hingis fan, however, I can't help but laugh at the people rating her a 5 or 6 (or even lower) out of 10! Hingis deserves a failing grade?! Where, then on the scale does that leave players like Mauresmo and Hantuchova who are ranked below her and haven't performed as well as her this year? Are they a 2 or even a 1 then?

I'm sure the intent was not comedy, but I thank you for a great laugh, nonetheless!

heidi2
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:39 PM
I'm a BIG MARTI FAN, :hearts: I'll give Marti 8.25 !

Well said RockSteady, i agree tooooo! ;)

RockSteady
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:37 AM
"What is her one major weapon that sets her aside from everyone else? Or is it just her overall game??????"

Her major weapon is her consistence. I remember againt Seles in Australia, she had 35 or so winners and single-digit errors.

She is basically a machine...doesn't make mistakes, technically perfect, has all the shots, good anticipation. She's a sum of parts, but doesn't have a devestating weapon like power or serve.

MartianJoeyWinson
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:30 AM
Anyone who gives Martina a rating of less than 6 against ANY player is either a complete and utter "hater" of her... or just doesn't have enough knowledge of tennis and uses it as a vehicle for something else... (or just doesn't have enough knowledge of tennis, or enough knowledge........ or any knowledge)...

G1Player2
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:05 PM
bumpage...I remember making this thread (I was SVSK) then..I said that I wasn't really a fan of hers when I made this but I love her game and I consider myself a fan now surprisingly...

furrykitten
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Hingis is pure quality, I love her skills.

TonyP
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Right now, about a 7.5 overall.

I think there is a lot of room for improvement, mostly with serving speed and consistancy and with her court coverage, as well as her concentration.

But don't forget she is now 14-5 in singles, with victories over Sharapova, Myskina, Stosur, Mirza, Zvonerava, Kirilenko. She has climed from 349 in the world to her current rankin of 44 in the world and done it in her first six weeks back on the tour after a three year lay off.

She has beaten quality opponents, two of them slam winners. She also has a grand slam doubles title now, beating pretty much all the best teams.

G1Player2
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Right now, about a 7.5 overall.

I think there is a lot of room for improvement, mostly with serving speed and consistancy and with her court coverage, as well as her concentration.

But don't forget she is now 14-5 in singles, with victories over Sharapova, Myskina, Stosur, Mirza, Zvonerava, Kirilenko. She has climed from 349 in the world to her current rankin of 44 in the world and done it in her first six weeks back on the tour after a three year lay off.

She has beaten quality opponents, two of them slam winners. She also has a grand slam doubles title now, beating pretty much all the best teams.

I am familiar with most of your posts and I know you are a HUGE Hingis supporter and I agree with most of what you said and you have to admit that Hingis comeback has been impressive to say the least. Nobody would have ever imagine her coming back at this level so fast and almost beating Kim Clijsters in her first GS in years.

And I agree that her concentration could be a little better. I'll never forget when Hingis had the chance to break Kim in that 3rd set in OZ and she hit that silly UE out of nowhere. Hingis CANNOT get away with that. Most of the top players can, but Hingis does not have that "go-to" shot to bounce right back after hitting a lame UE. And her court coverage has surprisingly been good IMO.

But, I think she still needs to take advantage of that angled forehand DTL. I think that is her most effective shot. It is well disguised and well placed and puts most players on the defensive, but Hingis usually only uses that shot if she is playing from the middle of the court and most of the players do not like to play Hingis from the middle of the court.

TonyP
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I know how long it took to build the original Martina Hingis and it was NOT done overnight. Of course, she is starting from a great foundation, but then most of her skills had fallen into disuse after three full years of in action on her part.

My rating of her at 7.5 was not criticism, simply what I think is a realistic appraisal of where she is now and how much better she can get. I think she is still experimenting with the serve and more than anything, still trying to get herself match tough and with Hingis, that means playing enough matches to make the easy shots automatic and then the tough shots reality. She also has to get used once again to all her opponents and some of them, like Maria, she had never played before.

Hingis at her best is thinking two or three shots ahead at all times and when she is doing that again, she will be very hard to beat. But that requires conditioning, because she has to reach the ball in enough time to use her powers to angle the ball back to where she wants to put it. Right now, I think every player knows she is already dangerous. When she is fast enough and confident enough to be even a 9.0, heaven help the rest of the field.

MisterQ
Feb 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
I have only really been into tennis for about a year.
I have seen most of the top ten players players play at one point or another..........
here is a few things i have noticed:
WILLIAMS,CAPRIATI: major weapon: power
HENIN (AND MAURESMO):MAJOR WEAPON: Backhand

My question about Hingis is........ (i have not really seen her play)
What is her one major weapon that sets her aside from everyone else? Or is it just her overall game??????

Hingis has great precision, consistency and variety. She anticipates and takes the ball very early. She has amazing hands and can often improvise her way out of difficult situations. On top of this, she has an uncanny court sense... she always seems to know the right shot to hit next. She understands percentage play and how to work the court without attempting too many risky shots. She can also analyze her opponent's weaknesses and adjust her strategy accordingly. So, while no one shot stands out as a major weapon, you have to play extremely well to win a lot of points against her!

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:07 PM
8 :bounce:

A'DAM
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I'm not really a Martina Hingis fan but I decided to make her gam on a 1-10 scale, in every aspect of tennis. I just didn't feel like doing all Top 10 players even though I will get to all.

MARTINA HINGIS

FOOTWORK-8.0
Court movement- 7.0
Quickness- 7.0
Court coverage- 6.5
Off the Mark- 7.0

Dont want to be pain in the a..... but how
Court movement- 7.0
Quickness- 7.0
Court coverage- 6.5
Off the Mark- 7.0

Can make overall score for FOOTWORK-8.0

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

henmanhill
Feb 27th, 2006, 10:59 PM
9.37923394875012398762093821204045703403471603986 recurring.