PDA

View Full Version : Nadia Petrova says Ivanovic's forehand the best.

Fingon
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:27 PM
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/sports/sportsmonday/story.html?id=ab396183-f40d-4906-b14d-6a2fc79321ab

"She just rips it off without thinking, sometimes I think she has no idea where it's going to go, but compared to other players, it's by far the best forehand out there," Petrova said.

*cough*, I said that two years ago, Ana has the best forehand I've seen in a long time, it's nearly flawless and if she can set it up it's nearly unreturnable. I was laughing at people saying that Vaidisova had a better forehand, they are not even close.

Maybe now that a player that actually faced her on the court said so they will believe it.:smash: They should listen to what I say. In their defense, you can't really appreciate it on its full strenght unless they see it live. That's why I thought Ana was going to do great things two years ago, very few players have impressed me that much the first time I saw them. Ana then had a good serve and a pretty decent net game, and that forehand, a massive weapon, she needed to sort out her backhand that was a huge liability and improve her movement, she's done that but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Dawn Marie
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Nicole Vaidisova is clearly overrated. Ana has the better game. She is slow around the court though and needs to work on her speed moving forward.

Apoleb
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Her forehand has the potential to become the most dominating single stroke on the women's tour.

And yes, there is still so much room for improvement. She isn't just a ball basher. Her net game can be quite descent and at least she's more comfortable there than most players of her generation. Her movement is still a liability but she actually anticipates well and has good defensive skills. The slice can be handy too. If she can build on those areas she really can be one of the more complete players on the circuit.

V-MAC
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM
a backhanded compliment....nice :devil: :lol:

GracefulVenus
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Nadia would know because she played some incredible tennis, but still ended up loosing that match the Los Angeles Final. Yes, Ivanovic has the rocket forehand and the accuracy to go with it. Look out US Open.:help:

matanuriel
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/sports/sportsmonday/story.html?id=ab396183-f40d-4906-b14d-6a2fc79321ab

"She just rips it off without thinking, sometimes I think she has no idea where it's going to go, but compared to other players, it's by far the best forehand out there," Petrova said.

*cough*, I said that two years ago, Ana has the best forehand I've seen in a long time, it's nearly flawless and if she can set it up it's nearly unreturnable. I was laughing at people saying that Vaidisova had a better forehand, they are not even close.

Maybe now that a player that actually faced her on the court said so they will believe it.:smash: They should listen to what I say. In their defense, you can't really appreciate it on its full strenght unless they see it live. That's why I thought Ana was going to do great things two years ago, very few players have impressed me that much the first time I saw them. Ana then had a good serve and a pretty decent net game, and that forehand, a massive weapon, she needed to sort out her backhand that was a huge liability and improve her movement, she's done that but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Modest, aren't you?

To the title, Ivanovic has one of the greatest weapons in women tennis at the moment, but this has been known already! if she will imporve her footwork, she would be unstopable:devil:

Fingon
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Modest, aren't you?

I am the best at that.

Natalicious
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Ana has the best forehand on the tour IMO

Dexter
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM
http://www.anaivanovic.com/?path=start/news&detailpage=841

Petrova: "Ana's forehand is the best by far"

August 13, 2007 / Los Angeles

Nadia Petrova, whom Ana defeated 7-5, 6-4 in the final (http://www.anaivanovic.com/?path=start/news&detailpage=838) of the East West Bank Classic, gave a generous tribute to the teenager. She praised almost every aspect of Ana’s game.

“I would say she just rips it off without event thinking,” the world No.9 said about Ana’s instinctive forehand. “Comparing with any other players, it is the best forehand by far on tour.”

She continued: "Her fitness coach did a good job with her, she's lost some weight and is dangerous. Even out of difficult positions she's coming up with big shots."

Petrova was also impressed by the variety in Ana’s game. She said: “She mixed it up well. You never what she was going to come up with. You had to be very alert to read what was coming.

“It was a very solid game from her today. It was about the break and she did it. I could not break her back. I was trying but it did not work out.”

Nice words from Nadia. :)

Ana's inside-out FH winner on the SP was scary... and her reaction as well. I loved it. :angel:

sfselesfan
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM
She's more than a forehand though...she's showing the mental stability of a true champion. Her performances at Roland Garros, Wimbledon, and now LA have been really impressive (in terms of not letting close matches go south). She's got #1 in her sights for sure.

SF

Natalicious
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:03 PM
really nice words from nadia :D

Tenis Srbija
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Was there any doubt :shrug:
But I still think Kim's FH, when on, was the best in the world...

mb011
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:05 PM
her movement has improved significantly over the last year, since she started working with that Australian guy Scott. her fitness is so much better, and that's why she made such an improvement this year, she is more confident that she can get every ball, and is really trying to do that on the court.

of course the forehand is the best at the moment, and combined with a strong serve makes her very, very hard to beat (two players said that: Jelena and Nadia, after playing Ana, and they have played her before, but never made these kind of comments...).

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM
i've always though her footwork was decent.... it's not amelie, justine, serena, venus status, but does it need to be? she can play defensive shots well and is definitely faster than other top players.

Russianboy
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Nadia would know because she played some incredible tennis, but still ended up loosing that match the Los Angeles Final. Yes, Ivanovic has the rocket forehand and the accuracy to go with it. Look out US Open.:help:

nadia played well in the final? :eek: :help:

sfselesfan
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:12 PM

I didn't think Nadia played poorly. I fell asleep mid-way through the second set and she looked fine up to that point.

SF

Wayn77
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM

briefly in the first set.

I would agree with Nadia's statement. Ivanovic has got a big game, playing the big points well and starting to look very, very confident.

Yonexforever
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM
The forehand is clearly a big shot, but I wouldnt judge it the best just cause Petrova says so, she is slow as molasses, anyone who can move decently would force her to hit 1 or 2 more shots and watch a few of those spray!

Bruno71
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM
In the last few months, in terms of velocity, placement, and CONSISTENCY, Nadia is absolutely correct about Ana's forehand.

Fingon
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:58 PM
The forehand is clearly a big shot, but I wouldnt judge it the best just cause Petrova says so, she is slow as molasses, anyone who can move decently would force her to hit 1 or 2 more shots and watch a few of those spray!

you obviously didn't read my first post, I didn't say that I think Ana's has the best forehand in women's tennis because Nadia said so, I just used it as a confirmation.

In fact, I said that two years ago.

hablo
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
So what would make Ana's FH better than say Vaidisova or Serena or JH or a Kuznetsova or Dementieva?

I'm not questioning the thread starter's argument that it is.

I just want to know concretely or technically what makes it so in comparison to those other players.

Someone also mentioned Clijsters. How does Ivanovic's FH compare to the Belgian?

I hope that someone who has actually played tennis or who has followed the game for years answers my question. :angel:

woosey
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:14 PM
nadia also said serena was washed up.

could care less what nadia says/thinks.

RenaSlam.
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM
her forehand is ridiculous.

Although Nadia has said some pretty stupid things before, I think she is almost "correct" with this statement.

itzhak
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Svetlana will talk about this with Nadia....

Nicolás89
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:16 PM
this is the forehand ranking when are all on fire

1. Davenport
2. Ivanovic
3. (Clijsters)
3. Pierce
4. Kuznetsova
5. Vaidisova

;)

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:21 PM
nadia also said serena was washed up.

exactly :lol:

1. Davenport
2. Ivanovic
3. (Clijsters)
3. Pierce
4. Kuznetsova
5. Vaidisova

;)

Someone's missing :scratch: :unsure:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BCL3Z1L5

Freakan
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:27 PM
If Ana's forehand isn't the best on tour, then what took her to no. 4, 4 titles and RG final? Her movement, backhand or volleys? :tape:

Dexter
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:33 PM
If Ana's forehand isn't the best on tour, then what took her to no. 4, 4 titles and RG final? Her movement, backhand or volleys? :tape:Fistpumps & ajdes/cmons. :lol:

selyoink
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Her forehand is certainly top 5 in the game right now but I'd still take Kuznetsova's over it for sure.

Nicolás89
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Someone's missing :scratch: :unsure:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BCL3Z1L5

nope, there isnt :wavey:

Beny
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I agree.her forehand is the best at the moment

Beny
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I've just read the second page of this thread and the only thing I'm missing is a poster claiming Golovin's forehand is better than Ana's

DownTheLine21
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I have to agree with Petrova on this issue.

serenaforever
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:12 PM
A nice comment from Petrova

treufreund
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Ana's forehand seems more penetrating with forward momentum that kuzy's Kim's did not have the weight of shot that Ana's has and kim could not count on her shot for any consistency whatsoever.

Best forehands: Ana, Kuzy, Tati, Justine, Venus (when on)

Mightymirza
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:18 AM
well nadia also said that a lotof times it looks like she hits it without thinking :o anyways I guess Ana is instinctive player as well..one of the best FHs for sure..

Berlin_Calling
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I think that Kuznetsova's forehand is overrated. Yes, when it's on, it can be devastating, but too many times, it's inconsistent which results in forehands landing five feet beyond the baseline. Ana's forehand has recently been very consistent, and with its simple stroke, doesn't have any room to technically fail. The way Sveta whips her forehand, it just looks very hit or miss.

CJ07
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Ivanovic is certainly no Steffi Graf, but her forehand is very good. I don't think that it is as good as peak Serena's, but nothing is as good as peak Serena's so its a close #2. And hers is much more consistent, so that goes for something.

Also I think that Vaidisova isn't overrated, shes just going to need another year or two. I still think both (talentwise) are better than Sharapova though.

CJ07
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:34 AM
Kuznetsova can really dominate with her forehand. Honestly, once her game clicks she's going to be dominant. She's probably going to pull a Navritolova and peak in her mid twenties (not that shes going to all of a sudden win 18 GS, but she should definitely be able to win a few more and get to #1)

goldlion
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Her forehand is quite good. But I think her footwork is a little too slow.

That's why she can't win over Justine as she's less mobile than her.

She's a heavy player as well, which gives her great forehead but slow speed.

Brooks.
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:16 AM
it's a great shot but Serena's can be just as lethal

Sefo
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:14 AM
So what would make Ana's FH better than say Vaidisova or Serena or JH or a Kuznetsova or Dementieva?

I just want to know concretely or technically what makes it so in comparison to those other players.

Someone also mentioned Clijsters. How does Ivanovic's FH compare to the Belgian?

I hope that someone who has actually played tennis or who has followed the game for years answers my question. :angel:

What sets Ana's forehand apart from the other best forehands is the angle changes and the accuracy that comes with it. She apparently can receive the ball from any angle and shot it back in a totally different one. And add to that the weight too. Only Nadal can do that.
It's never safe to play her forehand.

Nadia played well. I think it's the first match I've liked her and her antics haven't bothered me.

SharapovaFan16
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:38 AM
who's driving this bandwagon bus? you don't have enough seats to fit all these people. ivanovic is okay nothing more.

SharapovaFan16
Aug 14th, 2007, 05:39 AM
who's driving this bandwagon bus? you don't have enough seats to fit all these people. ivanovic is okay nothing more.

Dexter
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Nadia played well. I think it's the first match I've liked her and her antics haven't bothered me.Lol. I thought I was the only one. :tape: :lol:

SequeraFan
Aug 14th, 2007, 07:08 AM
iVAnovic hawt doe snt need game.
Petrova not hot improve thanks.

laurie
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM
If Ana's movement continues to improve her forehand can become the best. Although on clay I think Justine Henin and Svetlana Kuznetsova may continue to have better forehands on that surface because they put more topspin on it so the ball has more action. Ana's forehand is perfect for grass and hardcourts.

I'm really excited by Ana's level of play. let's hope she can continue to improve.

This is certainly a challenge for Nicole Vaidisova.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Wow... now I can't really wait for Ana vs Justine in the Rogers Cup (if they do meet)... the best forehand against the best backhand. :drool:

CoolDude7
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM
When someone hits a deep ball, Ana forehand crumbles. It is great dealing with mid-court winners.. Justine hits deep, and won't be bothered by Ana.

Polikarpov
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Ana's forehand is a rocket.

Is it just me who thinks that Ana's forehand resembles Steffi's?

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM
When someone hits a deep ball, Ana forehand crumbles. It is great dealing with mid-court winners.. Justine hits deep, and won't be bothered by Ana.

i agree-when you give ana time to set up for her forehand it probably is the best but it isnt that special when shes out of position. to be a really great shot (like henins backhand, williams sisters backhands, kuznetsova forehand) the player should be able to hit a great winner out of position-from "impossible" situations.

with time, anas forehand may become a great shot but IMO nadia was giving ana a lot of time on the ball and not focusing on her backhand enough (not that her BH is that weak...)

Carsten
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM

what a stupid comment :rolleyes:

But with the other thing she might be right :)

Kunal
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:36 PM
damn...i'll keep an eye on her when i start following the US open.

when serena is on her game her forehand is pretty lethal.
so id be interested in seeing how ana's forehand stacks up

Sefo
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Serena won't give her much time and neither Maria. But will see.

frontier
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM
In some report on their match it was said Nadia hit Ana with a ball so hard and was booed mercilessly.Who cares what comes out of Nadia's mouth what excuse can she give for losing twice to Ana.Nadia's utterings are not worth anything especially after she ran her mouth about Jelena beating Serena in the third rd of AO and getting a beating herself.Anything she says is worthless.

Wayn77
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:07 PM
In some report on their match it was said Nadia hit Ana with a ball so hard and was booed mercilessly.Who cares what comes out of Nadia's mouth what excuse can she give for losing twice to Ana.Nadia's utterings are not worth anything especially after she ran her mouth about Jelena beating Serena in the third rd of AO and getting a beating herself.Anything she says is worthless.

:haha: :haha: :hug:

I agree: Nadia needs Jehovah man ... and giggle like a hyena at the press conferences.

I actually think Jankovic did a far better job than Nadia keeping the Ivanovic forehand at bay. Hitting it deep, hittng the corners alternatively.

Dasha_
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Ana is great player, and she still has so much to improve.....

So, she will be the best and I believe she will dominate the game.

AJDE ANCHI! IDEMO

woosey
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM

1. Davenport
2. Ivanovic
3. (Clijsters)
3. Pierce
4. Kuznetsova
5. Vaidisova

;)

funny, there aren't many slam titles on that list.

so graf is not represented. neither is venus or serena.

Fingon
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:14 PM

I can accept to compare it with Serena's or Dementieva's.

Justine's is good but not great. I think that with Justine it became fashionable to say her forehand was better than her backhand. It was like to say "look I know so much about tennis, I see things other people don't", the reality is, I have seen countless Justine's matches and normally yes, she hits a forehand winner after the backhand opens the court.
Kuznetsova's is good but not great.
Vaidisova? :haha:

Well, Ana's forehand is powerful, not a differentiator, you can even argue that Serena or Dementieva hit it harder.
it's accurate but again, that's not different or better than the other players.
There are other things.
1) the motion, it's effortless and it's an unorthodox motion, many people compare it to Steffi's because of that but it's a quite different motion, she rips it off from the waist and it's incredibly smooth. She doesn't seem to put a big effort to hit it.
2) The spins, the ball stays low, that's what makes it so hard to return, to be honest, I don't know what kind of spin she puts in it (I don't think she knows either) but it might be a result of the unconventional motion, but it keeps the ball low, like a slice.
3) She hides it very well, it's very difficult to read where the ball is going, that's why I think Petrova says that Ana doesn't know where it goes, Ana knows, her opponent doesn't.
4) Because of the effortless motion, Ana does not need too much time to set it up, that compensates for Ana lacks of speed, she doesn't have a big swing and that helps.

Kim's forehand was good, but a rather conventional one, she could hit it hard and paint the lines, but also it could break down easily, and it was easy to read (which doesn't mean it was easy to return). Kim was a very complete player and yes, her forehand was her main weapon but it is for most players, she also had a great down the line backhand and what definitely set her apart was her speed and ability to return every ball.

I hope that someone who has actually played tennis or who has followed the game for years answers my question.
that's funny, playing tennis won't help much, you can't compare club tennis with professional tennis, they are like two different sports, not because you hit some balls in a club you will understand the techniques the pros use. Plus, Ana's forehand isn't likely to be taught because as I said, it's not an orthodox shot.

Lulu.
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Its pretty easy to say that she has the best forehand after she just beat you down in a final. It is a nice forehand but it certainly isn't the best

frontier
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I think Serena's forehand is the most lethal when it matters.All the other players mentioned like nicole kuzzy are pretenders.USA OPEN is coming up and thats when we will be able to judge who has or hasn't a big forehand.

Dexter
Aug 14th, 2007, 03:24 PM
i agree-when you give ana time to set up for her forehand it probably is the best but it isnt that special when shes out of position. to be a really great shot (like henins backhand, williams sisters backhands, kuznetsova forehand) the player should be able to hit a great winner out of position-from "impossible" situations.

with time, anas forehand may become a great shot but IMO nadia was giving ana a lot of time on the ball and not focusing on her backhand enough (not that her BH is that weak...)I agree Ana's FH on the run USUALLY is less devastating, but in the final & SF she hit some great FH on a stretch (in the SF see the FH winner at 5-5* *40-0 3rd set and in the final at 5-5* *15-0 1st set). She would never hit those kind of years let's say a year ago... That's an indication she's still improving on her FH wing. I think all are that she improved her movement a lot since the last couple of months.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:05 PM
In the run Ana can also make many great winners with her FH. To make a few awesome examples.
Last point of game 2 in first set against Maria at RG SF
6th game at 40-30 in Tokyo SF.
5-5 3rd set at 40-0 against Jelena in LA.

It's not only that she needs time with it. Yes, for defending it's not great. But for the attack it's the best there is.
And it's not that they always give her the time to make the FH shot. That's just totally nonsense. Just watched to points again and when she got some time for it, then it's mostly cause of a good serve or a good return. She also gives her that position.
Now it just sounds like that they give her just easy shots.

Uranus
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Really nice words from Nadia. Boo @ people saying her sportsmanship is questionable.

Thanx4nothin
Aug 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Serena can do so much more with her forehand than Ana though, more angles more variety and when she wants it even more power, I feel Ana's forehand when moving to the left is ominous and pretty much indefensible, however when she's moving onto the ball it still looks a little messy, and that's coming from me, she's my third favourite player, so it's not a perfect shot by any means. Her backhand is a poor weakness in comparison though so often when a player pushed a quality ball to that backhand she hits up on it and it lands high and a little short, Petrova was unable to take advantage of that because she struggles to flatten out her own forehand. Also, even though her serve is very good when it goes in, the toss can be abissmal, really, she needs to work on it because her second serve isn't as good as say a Vaidisova's is. Surely we are looking at the dominant player of the next generation though.

meyerpl
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I think, of all people, Nadia ought to know.

Marshmallow
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Her inside out foreheand is her best shot - because apparently, she doesn't like hitting the ball moving to her right (she couldn't practice that - since she used to train in a small, empty pool).

But her Forehand is generally awesome, last year Rogers cup ... it was :eek: She was hitting it at crazy speeds, from all over the place. The flight of the ball was not normal.

Kep improving Ana please. Our only real hope against the screaming axis of evil.

Derek.
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:52 AM
When she's on, it's indeed the best forehand on tour.

Only matched by Serena at her best.

fammmmedspin
Aug 15th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Its not only that she can hit it- its where she can hit and the plays she can use it in. if she keeps practicing she may even be able to hit some of those rapiers within millimetres of the net that steffi used to win wimbledon with.

Anyone know who she watched/admired as a chid? Some of the serve and wallop plays and teh use of slice are decidedly Graf like and she plays more like her than peak Monica (tto early for her) or Martina or the Williams sisters?

brent-o
Aug 15th, 2007, 03:40 AM
I think it is one of the best but Sania Mirza's deserves an honorable mention. Probably not the most consistent one but I was in awe at some of the forehand winners she cracked when I watched her in one of the US Open series events earlier in the summer. Ana's reminds me of Federer's though: smooth, effortless, and with a lot of weight.

hablo
Aug 15th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Justine's is good but not great. I think that with Justine it became fashionable to say her forehand was better than her backhand. It was like to say "look I know so much about tennis, I see things other people don't", the reality is, I have seen countless Justine's matches and normally yes, she hits a forehand winner after the backhand opens the court.

Well, Ana's forehand is powerful, not a differentiator, you can even argue that Serena or Dementieva hit it harder.
There are other things.
1) the motion, it's effortless and it's an unorthodox motion, many people compare it to Steffi's because of that but it's a quite different motion, she rips it off from the waist and it's incredibly smooth. She doesn't seem to put a big effort to hit it.
2) The spins, the ball stays low, that's what makes it so hard to return, to be honest, I don't know what kind of spin she puts in it (I don't think she knows either) but it might be a result of the unconventional motion, but it keeps the ball low, like a slice.
3) She hides it very well, it's very difficult to read where the ball is going, that's why I think Petrova says that Ana doesn't know where it goes, Ana knows, her opponent doesn't.
4) Because of the effortless motion, Ana does not need too much time to set it up, that compensates for Ana lacks of speed, she doesn't have a big swing and that helps.

Kim's forehand was good, but a rather conventional one, she could hit it hard and paint the lines, but also it could break down easily, and it was easy to read (which doesn't mean it was easy to return). Kim was a very complete player and yes, her forehand was her main weapon but it is for most players, she also had a great down the line backhand and what definitely set her apart was her speed and ability to return every ball.

that's funny, playing tennis won't help much, you can't compare club tennis with professional tennis, they are like two different sports, not because you hit some balls in a club you will understand the techniques the pros use. Plus, Ana's forehand isn't likely to be taught because as I said, it's not an orthodox shot.

Thanks for answering my question. :yeah:

laurie
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM

There are other things.

I think this all has to do with perceptions on many occassions. Had Svetlana won 4 titles this year and not 4 runner ups, everyone will be saying her forehand is great.

The fact is though that technically speaking, Svetlana and Justine Henin have the best forehands. Bacause both players have the ability to hit it deep with high net clearance, loaded with heavy topspin, or flatten it out for winners when it's required, plus make angles. They have the most versatile forehands tailor made for clay but transferable to hardcourts and other surfaces.

I think Ana's forehand is flatter, she doesn't put as much spin on the ball - like Davenport, Sharapova, this type of forehand is tailor made for hardcourts and grass. The only problem with the flatter forehand is when a player gets nervous or lacks form, they tend to spray the ball a lot more and make many more errors with the lack of topspin for control.

But right now from what I saw on Saturday and Sunday, Ana's forehand is lethal and she obviously relies on inspiration - if she feels inspired she will just go for it.

This is exactly why I made that thread months ago about Nadia probably not been able to win a slam. I think her comments about Ana reflect my thinking. She said Ana doesn't know where it's going to go many times. I've always said Nadia's game is too deliberate and lack's inspiration - she cannot come to terms with the concept of freeing the mind and going for your shots - inspiration as jazz musicians will call it , when you just free the mind and go with the flow. That's how you win major titles by just going for it on the day when it matters.

I've never seen Nadia play that type of Tennis, so I don't expect to see her ever winning a major title - it's not just about technique and organisation.

Wayn77
Aug 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM
This is exactly why I made that thread months ago about Nadia probably not been able to win a slam. I think her comments about Ana reflect my thinking. She said Ana doesn't know where it's going to go many times. I've always said Nadia's game is too deliberate and lack's inspiration - she cannot come to terms with the concept of freeing the mind and going for your shots - inspiration as jazz musicians will call it , when you just free the mind and go with the flow. That's how you win major titles by just going for it on the day when it matters.

I've never seen Nadia play that type of Tennis, so I don't expect to see her ever winning a major title - it's not just about technique and organisation.

Pretty much spot on. I like the the musical synopsis, as a musician I can completely relate to your quality post. I think we are talking improvisation here rather than straight inspiration - releasing yourself from the straight-jacket of playing by numbers and letting the heart, soul and freedom take over - de funk in other words. Too simplistic to say go out there on the day and play with the flow: every player needs a base, game-plan and tactics to build on. That's Nadia game: craft and technique building and manipulating the points during the exchanges, hampered at the moment by questionable conditioning and yes .... the mind.

laurie
Aug 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Pretty much spot on. I like the the musical synopsis, as a musician I can completely relate to your quality post. I think we are talking improvisation here rather than straight inspiration - releasing yourself from the straight-jacket of playing by numbers and letting the heart, soul and freedom take over - de funk in other words. Too simplistic to say go out there on the day and play with the flow: every player needs a base, game-plan and tactics to build on. That's Nadia game: craft and technique building and manipulating the points during the exchanges, hampered at the moment by questionable conditioning and yes .... the mind.

Very true, after I wrote the post it became clearer in my mind what I was trying to get across. The technique is indeed the basis for the improvisation. The technique is the foundation and then the improvisation /inspiration is that extra ingredient - thats what creates the magic in either music or sport or other arts. Musicians will take a structure, say a blues and then improvise over it and turn it into something else. Venus and Serena are good examples of finding inspiration and creating something out of nothing and going for it in certain situations, especially when they are written off beforehand!

And yes, Nadia's lack of conditioning is a hamper to her realising her potential. I saw her at Wimbledon last month.

What instrument do you play?

wicked0987
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM

From what I see she seems to strike the ball very much in front of her body, as opposed to besides her (like serena, venus, Davenport). She's able to put a lot of her weight on the ball in this way, and use her full body to hit the shot. Henin, mauresmo and Clijsters also hit in front of them but with a lot more spin. Clijsters forehand was good because it was very "heavy". Ana's forehand is a lot flatter.

It's two different ways of hitting the ball. I don't think there's a "better" way out of the two, as both seem to be effective.

Dexter
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Its not only that she can hit it- its where she can hit and the plays she can use it in. if she keeps practicing she may even be able to hit some of those rapiers within millimetres of the net that steffi used to win wimbledon with.

Anyone know who she watched/admired as a chid? Some of the serve and wallop plays and teh use of slice are decidedly Graf like and she plays more like her than peak Monica (tto early for her) or Martina or the Williams sisters?She grew up admiring Monica (no not too early) and got inspired by her. She admired Steffi as well. From the ATP she admires Federer & Agassi.

Dexter
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Couldn't agree more with laurie's & Dersu Uzala's posts. :yeah:

Wayn77
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Very true, after I wrote the post it became clearer in my mind what I was trying to get across. The technique is indeed the basis for the improvisation. The technique is the foundation and then the improvisation /inspiration is that extra ingredient - thats what creates the magic in either music or sport or other arts. Musicians will take a structure, say a blues and then improvise over it and turn it into something else. Venus and Serena are good examples of finding inspiration and creating something out of nothing and going for it in certain situations, especially when they are written off beforehand!

And yes, Nadia's lack of conditioning is a hamper to her realising her potential. I saw her at Wimbledon last month.

What instrument do you play?

I am a sh*t-hot and very noisy drummer.

Was it me or was Sveta looking fitter in her return match last night? Not that she has ever been particularly out of condition.

I think we are nailing the improvisation debate - as you rightly say something that can be related equally to sport, music, arts etc. The Williams sisters, Justine are prime examples... tight but loose as we say in the trade.

laurie
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Ah drums? Nice. Some of my favourite musicians are drummers. My uncle was a very good acoustic bass player but I was never that good!

I haven't seen Svetlana in Toronto yet but she looked in great physical condition at Wimbledon.

Now I hope she can turn that into a tournament victory or two.

Cheers Dexter.

woosey
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:47 PM
a great forehand means nothing if it doesn't win you a slam.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Ana is second only to Serena and that is completely unbiased :angel: