PDA

View Full Version : Fake Painted Racquets?

#1Davenport
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:11 PM
One of my friends told me that some pro tennis players use older model racquets painted to look like the new ones. Is there any truth in this?

Babolatpro880
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah. Most players do.

Paul.
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Yup.

Remember the picture of Harkleroad where she had a 'Babolat' racquet with a Wilson logo on the bottom? :lol:

It's just to boost sales of that racquet by having a famous name attached to it.

Tenis Srbija
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:18 PM
One of my friends told me that some pro tennis players use older model racquets painted to look like the new ones. Is there any truth in this?

Most of them :lol:

BTW, Ana Ivanović's racquet, Wilsone Ncode, is actually produced in HEAD factory, and it's something like the old RADICAL... :)

#1Davenport
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Isn't this like false advertising which is illegal?

Serena!
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Do the Williams do that though? Because at least recently their different rackets have been different sizes, etc. that the one after/before it. (nCode, their current ones..)

Paul.
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Do the Williams do that though? Because at least recently their different rackets have been different sizes, etc. that the one after/before it. (nCode, their current ones..)

I don't think there's any need for them too since their racquets aren't being sold (as far as I know) - or at least not ones that are exactly the same design.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/WilsonRacquets.html

Look at the pictures at the side - they used to be there to advertise the frying pans :lol@

xr6turbo
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I think Venus and Serena are using some form of Kfactor now. Back in 2001-2003 I think they may have been paint jobs.

#1Davenport
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:50 PM
What all players do this including guys?

xr6turbo
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:22 PM
What all players do this including guys?
Not all.. but a lot of the top players. Because of the high profile sponsorships that they have.

fred17
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM
roger and also pete have always competed with the old wilson used by edberg !

Babolatpro880
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Well, for instance, I heard that Federer uses the same racket he's used since he was a teenager. But every time Wilson comes out with a new model, he gets it painted to look like that racket.

Beny
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I think Andy Murray is against paintjobs :lol: he still uses the model my friend used about 4-5 years ago..
I remember Berdych used a Dunlop one while other 'Dunlop-users' had paintjobs.
I remember Patty with that grey model too.

Amelie has a paintjob,doesn't she? she's still using Dunlop I think
Dechy-Wilson paintjob,Head-racquet

Darop.
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Almost all men in the top 100, many women as well. Those who don't have paintjobs still have heavily customized racquets to best meet their needs anyways.

Many people say older racquets are better: that's true IMO, but not everyone agrees. A theory is that most pros choose to keep their old racquets just because they're used to them...

urock34
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I think Venus and Serena are using some form of Kfactor now. Back in 2001-2003 I think they may have been paint jobs.

Im pretty sure Serena used a 106 nblade at the begining of the year(same string pattern, head shape, and grommets), but it may have been customized to be a Kfactor as of right now. Also from 1999-2004 Serena used the same racquet, the 6.4 hammer with powerholes, the racquet she won her first major with.

Darop.
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:53 PM

They're both using custom molds of the nBlade, Serena's is 100' while Venus' is a big larger, around 103', but no one knows the rest of the specs :shrug:

Darop.
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Most of them :lol:

BTW, Ana Ivanović's racquet, Wilsone Ncode, is actually produced in HEAD factory, and it's something like the old RADICAL... :)

Are you sure?

I know someone who strung her racquet, apparently it was a stock nBlade (leaded up of course), you can tell because of the3 white grommet holes on the top of her bumper.

The thing with the nBlade is that Wilson "stole" players from Head who were using Head racquets (like the Prestige or the PT) (players like Djokovic, Mathieu, Pennetta) and gave them Head molded racquets painted as nBlades, and all these Head racquets painted as nBlades have Head grommets which don't have the 3 white grommet holes like the stock nBlade does.

Did I even make sense? :o Don't feel like reading it back :p

switz
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Well, for instance, I heard that Federer uses the same racket he's used since he was a teenager. But every time Wilson comes out with a new model, he gets it painted to look like that racket.

he has until this latest model.

i don't agree with the practice on principle but it's a commercial and sporting reality. very very few players are going to switch their racquet every time a model comes out. the feeling you have with a racquet is very important in replicating your form from day to day.

i'm quite against this practice that is developing where the paint job is of a racquet not even produced by the company. I know Ljbucic and maybe Amelie do this.

Darop.
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:04 AM
he has until this latest model.

i don't agree with the practice on principle but it's a commercial and sporting reality. very very few players are going to switch their racquet every time a model comes out. the feeling you have with a racquet is very important in replicating your form from day to day.

i'm quite against this practice that is developing where the paint job is of a racquet not even produced by the company. I know Ljbucic and maybe Amelie do this.

Yes, Amelie still uses a Dunlop painted as Head...

What you said about racquets painted as racquets of a different company I agree, as for racquets of the same company.... You have to understand that if Wilson comes out with a new kFactor racquet while Federer is playing with a racquet from 1990, people wouldn't care about the new racquet and would want to have Federer's racquet (even though most of them could never even handle it :p)

Giovanna
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Well I think that Sharapova really change her racquets at the AO...
But I read that she had a painted racquet too...
But I don't agree with this!!I think that isn't cool that I have a new sponsor (Prince) and I still playing with my old sponsor (Wilson)

RYNJ
Aug 14th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Maria sharapova does use the o3 WHite, but she uses the Japanese model.

The Prince 03 White xF, its string pattern is 18/19 not 16/19 and its also longer her racket.

Polikarpov
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Changing rackets can be very tough for players but as endorsers, they have to use or at least make it appear as if they're using the ones from the new line.

schorsch
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Maria sharapova does use the o3 WHite, but she uses the Japanese model.

The Prince 03 White xF, its string pattern is 18/19 not 16/19 and its also longer her racket.

well hers is customized just for her :)

#1Davenport
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:27 PM
You would think the company's wouldn't allow their racquets to be painted to look like another company's.

Oh, does anyone know what racquet Lindsay really uses?

Giovanna
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:54 PM
Look Sharapova:

US Open 2005: Shark Model

http://i15.tinypic.com/6c5icxt.jpg

Wimbledon 2004:

http://i15.tinypic.com/4kyz42u.jpg

SV_Fan
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:04 PM
Look Sharapova:

US Open 2005: Shark Model

http://i15.tinypic.com/6c5icxt.jpg

Wimbledon 2004:

http://i15.tinypic.com/4kyz42u.jpg

The Shark at the Top looks thicker, but maybe the white one in 04 is a expiremental one.

Serenidad.
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Most pros have paint job on the men's and women's side. Roger Federer does NOT use the racquet he advertises nor do many of the top women. This is just so that people will buy the newer more expensive racquet. Paint jobs are very prominent throughout professional tennis. Though, Sharapova uses the racquet she uses. It in a way was specially made for her. She played and altered it throughout the preliminary stages. Roddick does also use his Babolat one also.