PDA

View Full Version : Justine Henin says she believes that Williams domination is bad for women's tennis...

treufreund
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:10 AM
I got this from a message posted on the Sanex WTA Web Site but unfortunately I don't know exactly where the quote was taken from. Justine says " Their domination is beginning to worry me a bit. Not so much for us, their competitors, but for women's tennis in general. I do not believe that Williams-Williams finals are a good thing. But they deserve all credit, they are currently better than the rest. I believe the return of Davenport and Hingis could perhaps shake things up a bit. It will be good to see them on the circuit again."

Btw, if you can read French it's worth reading the rest of the passage which I did not feel like translating.

Il n'y a pas que le public qui soit légèrement déprimé par les finales des Soeurs Williams, leur domination. Même les joueuses sont très affectées, marquées... Par exemple, les 2 demis finalistes qui ont été exterminées, annihilées par les Sisters. Amélie Mauresmo a déclaré "Peut être que les gens, ça va finir par les gonfler de voir les deux williams en finale.." mais peut être que celle qui est la plus mélancolique, déprimée est Justine Henin "Leur domination commence à m'inquiéter un peu. Pas tellement pour nous, leurs concurrentes, mais pour le tennis féminin en générale. Je ne crois pas que des finales Williams-Williams soit une bonne chose. Mais bon tout le mérite leur revient, elles sont actuellement au dessus du lot. Je crois que les retours à la compétition de Davenport et Hingis pourraient permettre de redistribuer les cartes. Ce sera bien de les revoir sur le circuit..." Comme quoi il n'y a pas que le public qui souffre de ces absences... Lindsay et Martina pour leur retour peuvent s'attendre à une véritable standing ovation de la part de leurs "collègues" !!! Revenez Mesdames car le tennis a vraiment besoin de vous !

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Justine could better be worried about how to improve her mental state and how she doesn't choke when Venus is her opponent next time! imho!
maybe she can stop the domination then :rolleyes:

jomar
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Instead for players to be talking nonsense like this, they should do something and find ways to beat them.:( i certainly lose respect for this type of sour graping.:o

Vincent
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:43 AM
her defeat in wimbledon make justine feels sad, so....

Lisbeth
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:39 AM
it's a pity they can't rise above it but I think the journos are asking questions specially designed to make some of the players make these comments.

certain other champions have been a little less than gracious when faced with difficult losses in the past too, let's not forget.

Ms. Lively
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Justine is correct. Venus and Serena are ruining women's tennis. It is very sad.

Couver
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:12 AM
LMAO Ms.Lively I was wondering where you went to.

Actually I really don't think there was any malice in her comments, and she did say they were great players. I suppose she just said what she thought.

I'm still waiting for proof? The raitings keep going up, even after two not so great finals. But with Wimbledon being so good, I don't know. Everyone was talking about it on Monday :) Perhaps they are just ruining women's tennis for the other women players.

Amanda
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:28 AM
poor Justine. She obviously is a sore loser. I have lost all respect for her. I mean...As a professional, Justine should get over it already. Justine should work on her game and stop hating on Venus and Serena for reaching the top.

EVAspeed
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:34 AM
me being a justine fan... i don't think i can comment with a neutral side.

i just think that serena and venus have brought a new kick to tennis... and that many players haven't figured it out yet.

i think daniela has a feint idea of how they harness their power.

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Venus and Serena can never, ever please anyone. last year when Venus and Serena didn't play a full schedule, players and people (on here, you know who you are :p) said they weren't supporting the tour and now that they are, they're bad for the game. venus and serena haven't even begun to dominate, it's only been a month or so. the players should focus and improve their games if they want to defeat Venus and Serena, not run their mouths.

Raisin
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by CanIGetaWhat
Venus and Serena can never, ever please anyone. last year when Venus and Serena didn't play a full schedule, players and people (on here, you know who you are :p) said they weren't supporting the tour and now that they are, they're bad for the game. venus and serena haven't even begun to dominate, it's only been a month or so. the players should focus and improve their games if they want to defeat Venus and Serena, not run their mouths.

Your comments are right on point CanIGet:wavey:

But i will have to hear it from Justine herself before saying anything because I know how Journalists can twists words to spice up things.

Couver
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Ok really she didn't say it in a bad way. Go to the Wimbledon website and watch her interview with real player. As a V & S fan I don't agree with her comments and personally I don't see what evidence she has.

However she didn't go about it in a bad way. I think she just spoke with a tough loss on her mind.

Buitenzorg
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Justine is correct

WTA Tour right now is less excitement than 6-12 months ago (with Davenport & Hingis), Williams Sister dominant is very much made NO COMPETITIONS in the WTA Tour (especially IF both of them meet each other at another Final!), I think Venus don't play as good as her when she meet Serena in the Final, ....The match is gonna be so bloody Boring ( I can't wait till Davenport or HIngis back to WTA Tour!)

Raisin
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Katulampa
Justine is correct

WTA Tour right now is less excitement than 6-12 months ago (with Davenport & Hingis), Williams Sister dominant is very much made NO COMPETITIONS in the WTA Tour (especially IF both of them meet each other at another Final!), I think Venus don't play as good as her when she meet Serena in the Final, ....The match is gonna be so bloody Boring ( I can't wait till Davenport or HIngis back to WTA Tour!)

Same ol' same ol':p

Go Williams Tennis Association:bounce:

Dawn Marie
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:42 AM
What is bad for women's tennis is these sorry ass sore losers who just because they are getting their asses kicked have to tear another women/women's down. Excuse me losers but this kind of attitude is hypocrital and pathetic. The same people who are claiming Venus and Serena are ruining the WTA tour are the same pathetic women who are really TEARING the tour down. I mean get real, here, SHUT UP and PUT UP or keep on getting that ass trounced! These people who are talking about how BORING the tour is now, are fools. It would be best to figure out how to win against someone who is beating you, then complain about them as they keep on doing it. Hell, is it no wonder these very same players are the ones who keep getting beat? They have the wrong attitude. Instead of griping, how about going into the match with a better game plan and attitude. Sure the fans who don't like Venus and Serena may find it boring, but come on, the actual PROFESSIONALS?? These same people hardly ever make it to grandslam anyhow? LMAO . Hell at this rate I can pick at least 3 top ten players who may NEVER become #1. Or #1 again. I mean talk about a NON #1 attitude!!

FACT IS: These players are not bored with V@S but with their OWN selves instead. They are bored with how they perform against the sisters. It is they who got dismissed. If a player is bored and can't cope with an all Williams final, then work on that game, or something.:):)

Venus and Serena weren't bored with the tour when they weren't winning slams and a bunch of titles. They still had that winning attitude. Some of these other players need a self help book.

Jakeev
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Hmmm everytime anybody says they don't want to see total Williams domination or constant All-Williams finals, people get immediately defensive and pissed off.

So let me ask you this what do you want the players to say? "Oh I think it's wonderful the sisters beat the heck out of us week end and week and out and that I love watching them in every final?"

Come on people not even a lot of diehard Williams fans are that fond of seeing them play against each other.

It's true, if the women of tennis want to stop the pending Williams domination, they need to do something about it.

But stop disrespecting the other players just because they have opinions you don't happen to like.

moby
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:18 AM
well said, Jakeev

~ The Leopard ~
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Amen, Jakeev. Very well said.

Go Amelie and Justine!

Josh
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Actually to get this straight, the quote that is said to be from Justine is actually what Amélie said after her Wimbledon loss. They mixed up the names in this article. The quote from Mauresmo in this article is actually from Justine : "Peut être que les gens, ça va finir par les gonfler de voir les deux williams en finale.." and that is exactly the quote we talked about earlier where she gave the Williams sisters a lot of praise and then was asked if people wouldn't get bored of their domination and she replied : "I dunno, maybe they will get bored because they also wanna see other players but they are simply the best now."

So before jumping on someone's throat make sure that the article is correct. Besides we have already discussed what Amélie said earlier so let's just leave it there. This article just mixed up their quotes.

Williams Rulez
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Katulampa
Justine is correct

WTA Tour right now is less excitement than 6-12 months ago (with Davenport & Hingis), Williams Sister dominant is very much made NO COMPETITIONS in the WTA Tour (especially IF both of them meet each other at another Final!), I think Venus don't play as good as her when she meet Serena in the Final, ....The match is gonna be so bloody Boring ( I can't wait till Davenport or HIngis back to WTA Tour!) So what you want Venus or Serena to do? Lose?

Get a grip. All the whining in the world is not going to change the finals, whatever players are going to play in them.

E. Blackadder
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Here we go again

is there a proove that Justinje actually really said that, anyone can write such things or twist the things justine said that or leave a part out....

Josh
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Rhythmboy
Here we go again

is there a proove that Justinje actually really said that, anyone can write such things or twist the things justine said that or leave a part out....

Hellooooo :wavey, did you read what I wrote? ;)

~ The Leopard ~
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Thanks for that clarification, josh. And I still think what Amelie said was true, honest, and reasonable in the circumstances (including the question she was responding to).

Okay, time to move on.

gentenaire
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Huh, I don't read any malice in Amélie's words. She gives the Williams sisters all credit, says they are the best and deserve their success. But you've got to admit that having an all Williams final every time is rather boring. There's no real tension, it doesn't matter as much who wins. Also, the Williams sisters seldom play their best tennis when playing eachother. I remember this thread where someone asked if someone else also wished these two weren't sisters. That's exactly how I feel. If they weren't sisters, these finals would be a lot more exciting, IMO. What a great rivalry this would be.

Dawn Marie
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:40 AM
These losers were not talking about how boring it was when Hingis, Lindsay, Jennifer and (Venus ALONE) were dominating.

These gals being pissed off due to losing to Venus and Serena and saying it is a valid reason to grip and tear the WTA tour down is ridiculous, because we all know that nobody was talking BORING since Serena won that french open.

What is really pissing folks off is that they both kicked ass on CLAY!! LOL (that was the eye opener)

So since nobody was consistant in their views of boredom, I can't help but feel that these players are jealous, frustrated and bias toward the sisters and use that word BORED as a petty excuse to lash out on two beautiful Queen's.

E. Blackadder
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Josh

Hellooooo :wavey, did you read what I wrote? ;)

no :o

but I did now

THE NET
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:06 AM
I don't think it's a good idea saying that.

The Willams sisters just too strong for other players. Justine needs to life up her game to compete......actually, Justine's game is quite boring.

Those boring games.....(Kim's, Justine's etc.) are ruining women tennis. (instead of the Williams' games)

:o
;)

Lapin
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:19 AM
The quote above is mainly from Justine's interview, and isn't being mixed up with Amélie's, it just they said similar things (maybe the same journalist asked the same questions!) ;)

The Crow
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:25 AM
It still amazes me: people read PART of an interview posted on a MESSAGEBOARD, taken from another SITE, written down by a REPORTER (who maybe didn't even hear the interview himself), the interview possible conducted right after a loss, with 1 comment in it which could POSSIBLY be understood in a bad way and then post things like "I lost all respect for her" and "she's a loser". :rolleyes:

Jakeev
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Very good point Crow. But that is a common problem around here.

And dawn marie, sweet thing, put retract those claws please. You are reading into negativity AGAIN without reading what some of these people are saying.

Again, just because you don't like their opinions does not mean they are wrong or that you are wrong either.

The Crow
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Jakeev
Very good point Crow. But that is a common problem around here.

Hence the "still" in the first sentence of my post ;)

minboy
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:29 AM
originally posted by the net " actually justine's game is pretty boring. their boring games ( justine, kim ) are ruining women's tennis".

all right, the net, everytime there is something bad to say about a belgian player, there you are, so i don't know why do you keep on posting while everybody knows by advance what you're going to write.

Anyway, let's go back to the topic : justine is just right. Where's the fun when you can tell 2 months before the us open who's gonna be in final? there's just no suspens at all, and this is a bad thing for women's tenis. JUst take a look on the atp-side, in every grand slam there is a new finalist, which make things much more exciting, cuz you never know what to expect. NOw the wta tour is so predictable that it has become boring. Not to take anything from the sisters, they are the best, etc, etc.....but i'm losing all interest in women's tennis now.
IT's like the FOrmula 1 championships : M. shumacher is so dominating that it has become boring for everybody.
THis is not sour comment from a sour loser, THIS IS JUST THE FACTS!!!

jomar
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Is it the Williams fault that they're getting into the finals???? They're the top two players right now, thus getting into the finals should be expected from them.:p

If the other players would only use their mouth to prevent an all-williams final, then they should be contented to be losers all their life.:rolleyes:

Hulet
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
I agree with minboy. Justines comment is not a sour comment from a sour loser, but a foolish answer from a foolish loser. :) Why would anyone try to sink the tour they earn their living from by insisting its boring? Why would any player try to lower the attendance of the WTA by asserting that matches are fixed? It's similar to sinking your own boat in the middle of the ocean. I don't expect justine to lie and say she enjoys the final b/n the two williams and, by the same token, I don't expect her to be a foolish sheep to some journalists who are always trying to write detrimental articles about the women's tour. What does Ms Henin expect? I think she is foolish if she expects that all the potential v(new or seasonal) veiwers who were turned off by her opinion about the final to come back and watch her when she plays. She should have the right to have her opinions about anything, but its unforgivable to be a foolish sheep when there are merciless wolves around the barn.

Julie
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Oh here we go again - how many times does this topic have to come up????

Its beginning to sound like a broken record. Yes the comments were probably said, yes they should have gone about it in a more professional like manner, and yes this is getting boring.

How many more threads like this are we goign to have to endure???