PDA

View Full Version : why do women double fault more than men?

cmonmasha
Aug 13th, 2007, 04:34 PM
do u have an explanation?? cause i'm following the live scores of the matches and poutchokova is making plenty of DFs and krajicek too.

Sylvester
Aug 13th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Lack of maturity. They simply can't handle the points where they have pressure upon their shoulders.

Viktymise
Aug 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Lack of maturity. They simply can't handle the points where they have pressure upon their shoulders.

Uhm no, im thinking less spin on 2nd serve ;)

lolas
Aug 13th, 2007, 04:49 PM
It must be somehow gender related like women aren't used to put pressure on sth as they normally receive sth

cmonmasha
Aug 13th, 2007, 04:50 PM
because of the strengh maybe? with more strengh they can make the ball spins faster

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 13th, 2007, 05:34 PM
most women cant serve...........

Keaka
Aug 13th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Men can hit spin or kick serve.

Most women hit flat or slice 2nd serves.I think women also aren't as mottoricaly talented and some lack maturity I think...

:D

CJ07
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Its all in the wrist. Most women don't have the wrist strength to generate consistently heavy kick serves. Serena and Molik are good exceptions.

Which is why Venus's second serve is all that more frustrating. She has no business hitting 120 MPH first serves and not hitting heavy kickers for the second delivery.

Thats another thing, women emphasize MPH, rather than spin. You might see a Nadal hit second serve averages around 90, and a Justine at 90, but the former has way more spin on it. The women would be better served learning that kick, albeit at maybe 75 MPH, than just hitting it hard and hoping it goes in.

nander
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:11 PM
:lol::lol:
Because their breasts get in the way!!

davidmario
Aug 13th, 2007, 06:12 PM
it's all about the kickserve

The Dawntreader
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah the men have more of an ability to consistently hit with considerably more spin than the women. I dont believe it's to do with strength though, because players like Serena, Lindsay etc can produce a lot of spin, particulary on the second serve. It's all about technique, the women tend to go for more pace in most aspects of the game these days. Men go for more margin with topspin.

njnetswill
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Plus the technical part aside, I think the serve receives more focus from boys learning the game than girls. I am waiting for coaches to emphasize the serve when teaching young girls instead of adding it as an afterthought to "start the point".

iWill
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I think it can be a combination of all those things as to why the fault a lot but I think its also because the women IMO go for more on their second serve because in the women's game its much easier to break your opponents serve so when they get a second serve despite the nerves and all that I feel like they may try for more

the reason i say this is because on WTA tour you see alot more breaks of serve in general and you often see players break their opponents to win the match or set or whatever but on the ATP tour getting 1 break in a set can in some cases guarantee you that set victory as long as you take care of ur serve but in the womens game a 1 break lead isn't seen as a big hurdle unless you don't have a good return game

but thats just my theory on it

miffedmax
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Because Dementieva hopelessly skews the averages, that's why.

Seriously, I think the physical differences between men and women (height, muscle mass, forearm and wrist strength) make a big difference.

switz
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:44 PM
i would probably be banned if i give a proper explanation. i'm trying to decide whether that would be a good or a bad thing. all i will say is that i enjoyed watching the cincinnati masters at the pub tonight and i will looking to watching a lot more when i get home on Wednesday after a 24 hour flight ;)

croat123
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
1) men are taller (higher contact point)
2) men are stronger (ability to hit with much more spin)

*JR*
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
i would probably be banned if i give a proper explanation. i'm trying to decide whether that would be a good or a bad thing. all i will say is that i'm watching the cincinnati masters ;)
Rainer Harnecker + Rainer Hofmann = double fault. :help:

Jem
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I think it can be a combination of all those things as to why the fault a lot but I think its also because the women IMO go for more on their second serve because in the women's game its much easier to break your opponents serve so when they get a second serve despite the nerves and all that I feel like they may try for more

but thats just my theory on it

Nice theory, but I don't see women going for more on their second serve at all. In fact, I'd say the opposite is true. The majority of doublefaults by women are into the net. Rather than swing faster through the serve -- which is the key -- they wind up pushing or trying to guide it, or the swing slows down so that the ball never has a chance. You're right that the women suffer a lot more breaks, the culprit being not enough spin or power. But I don't think a fear of being broken causes them to go for more. In fact, I think it adds all the extra pressure, which contributes to the doublefaults.