PDA

View Full Version : Why did ASV have a much better career than Coetzer?

jenn
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:19 AM
I have always wondered this question. Both play very similar games. Two of the fastest players on tour over the last ten to fifteen years. Both extremely determined. Both relative weak servers. Both brickwall consistent groundstokes; Amanda better off the forehand, Arantxa of the backhand - Amanda probably hits a little harder. Both have a reluctance to go to net, although arantxa is a great net player. Both have been overpowered from 1998 on. Yet Arantxa dominates their head to head, has 4 slams to Amanda's 0, plus several other huge titles and a spot in the top 10 for most of the 1990's. Don't get me wrong, Amanda has had a distinguished career, a top 10/20 player for 10 years is no slouch. Primarily I am talking pre- power game, ie pre 1998, because since the power revolution in 1997/8 both have achieved comprable results (with the exception fo arantxa's RG win 1998). What is that X-factor that made ASV so much better?

Berlin_Calling
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:23 AM
I think Arantxa hits harder and her serve is decent. Often hits aces. Arantxa is better at handling power, she beat Venus at Roland Garros a couple of years ago.

ys
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:40 AM
I can imagine that being 10cm taller could be somewhat helpful in tennis.

Cassius
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:43 AM
When both girls were in their prime would it be fair to say that ASV was a better player?

V.Melb
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Very difficult question.
Aranxta is more aggressive on court. Amanda is to calm and conserved - that may have been seen as a weakness - she may have lacked that killer instinct when it mattered... ASV is intense and argumentative..... maybe this is the difference.
I do know that ASV has a harder serve... and is not as baseline orientated.... another thing is... Mandy is really one-tempo ... if you can have a really on key day she can't lift her game many more levels like ASV can do.

Maybe i am wrong - thats just what i think.

spencercarlos
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Cassius
When both girls were in their prime would it be fair to say that ASV was a better player?

So what was Coetzer´s prime? 97??? when she beat an injured Steffi 3 times, got the world number 3 ranking and only had WON a tier 3 event???????

Arantxa´s prime 94, Runner up in Australia, won Roland Garros and Usopen... 2 slams and one final against 2 slams semifinals for Amanda in 97... which you consider better????

NO question Arantxa was way better than Amanda, Arantxa had determination, desire, maybe Amanda has it (or had it) but Arantxa was a more explosive player i mean she shower better attitude on court. Also i think Arantxa was more willing to take the net better than Amanda so that was a big diference.

Also on big matches Arantxa beat top player more consisntently than Amanda, she had just few wins over top 3 ranked players of the time she played against of.
Amanda´s 97 year reminds me a lot of 2000 year of Conchita who also got to number 3 or 4 with an unimpresive year.

FrankWo
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Hello and I agree with 'YS' about the main reason, why ASV have had a better run oncourt. Thank You for Your answer and greetings to all, FrankWo. :wavey:

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Where south-african players boycotted at some tournaments before the ninties? I don't say that made a difference in careerresults but I am just wondering about it.

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:49 AM
I think Aranxta has these advantages over Coetzer:

Anticipation & court sense - really can't be underestimated

Aggression - Aranxta does go for her shots a lot more than people tend to assume

Volleys - Aranxta has lovely volleys and isn't afraid to come into net to finish points off

Variety - Aranxta is good at putting topspin/slice on the ball at the right moments.

DEETHELICK
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Arantxa was extremely talented (anyone who wins a Slam at age 17 defeating Graf is).

She is just more skilled than Amanda. I like Amanda, but a commentator once said that Amanda is a 'B Grade' version of Arantxa.

Jenn, don't get me wrong, but you don't really seem to know much about Arantxa (gamewise). She hits the ball pretty hard (not Serena style but hey, its pretty hard).

One thing Arantxa worked on was her serve and it is much more 'beefier' now than it ever was.

Arantxa knows how to use the net well, she was a world No. 1 in doubles for a good few years and has something like 60+ doubles titles.

Why is Arantxa better than Amanda (and most of the tour IMO), she had variety in her game, wasn't always a counterpuncher, was more aggressive, as Saki said, had good court sense and her mental toughness was unquestionable.

Plus she was also 1 in singles and doubles, made 12 GS finals. The above paragraph summarises why Arantxa was so good.

She wasn't just a human backboard :)

Ms Tracy Austin
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Three reasons

Intensity: Aranxta was very intense, always pumping her fists and yelling vamos or si. Amanda was always quiet, pretty laid back.

Killer Instinct: You either have it, or you don't. Aranxta never gave up on a match regardless of the score, she would also change a losing game by coming in, or bringing you in. Amanda was pretty content to just run down balls, outlast you, she did not have killer instinct.

Intimidation Factor Aranxta was very intimidating, she would often predict herself the winner in post interviews and backed it up oncourt. Aranxta's opponents knew they had to play their best to beat her. Amanda was not intimidating, plain and simple.

Aranxta also had the best dropshot and lob on the planet, and her passing shots were better than Amanda's. They really were not mirror images of each other IMO. :)

PamShriverRockz
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Well Arantxa's remarkable achievements I think mostly stem from one thing: HEART. I don't think many players comes close in terms of this when you consider Arantxa is not a big hitter and does not have an overall big weapon (aside from a good backhand).
I think tactics and gamesmanship also come into play and are key factors.

Jakeev
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:50 AM
I think many pretty much came up with the right answer. Aranxta just hit the ball a little harder than Amanda.

But i also think Aranxta was the better all-court player and she was a bigger fighter on court.

At her very best, the Spaniard was fearless so her mental toughess was definitely more superior than that of Coetzer.

Kart
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:53 AM
I think ASV just believes in herself more - probably her self belief was boosted by winning the French so early in her career and she knew that she could achieve greatness.

She never gives up chasing her dream which I think probably gives her something extra.

Beige
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Heart, determination, weapons, some friendly gamesmanship.

Zamboni
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:12 PM
I agree with ys, of course it's not the only reason why Aranxta was better than Amanda, but it causes quite some other reasons named here. Can you imagine Amanda playing an aggressive netgame? ;)