GARBIN, Tathiana vs QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
KRAJICEK, Michaella vs (11)PEER, Shahar

(13)BAMMER, Sybille vs LOIT, Emilie
QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER vs (WC)WOZNIAK, Aleksandra
(WC)PELLETIER, Marie-Eve vs QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
BYE vs (2)JANKOVIC, Jelena

Lunaris
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Great how often Safarova gets a pleasant draw while my other fave Hantuchova manages to get the worst possible one. That of course doesn't mean Lucie can't lose early in Canada because Shaughnessy/Santangelo are good players with decent serves, but amongst the seeds Kuznetsova, Golovin and Dementieva are exactly those I wanted Lucie to draw. Good luck.

Dexter
Aug 12th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Good luck, Lucka! :yeah: Get some good wins before the final major!

Janine*OnTheTour
Aug 12th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I think it´s a good Draw for Lucie...
Pojd Lucka...

iPatty
Aug 12th, 2007, 04:31 PM
good draw. svetlana hasn't played since wimbledon.

come on lucie. pojdme.

Sally Todd
Aug 12th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Good draw. I will say no more! :cool:

Play to win Lucie! You have what it takes.

Robert-KimClijst
Aug 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM
COME ON LUCIE! If she can get a few good wins in here, she'd be in great form for the US Open. I wonder how Sveta is playing...

Okay draw. It could have been a lot worse.

dybbuk
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Nice draw. Good luck, Lucka. :yeah:

Patty Choker
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:24 PM
what a pitiful display.drops the 2nd set tiebreak.now going to a 3rd:help:

Janine*OnTheTour
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM
2-0 now in the 3rd for Lucie

Janine*OnTheTour
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:44 PM
3-0

Lunaris
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Lucka won 6-4 6-7 6-1

Good serve as always, bad return as always. What's new?

Escape
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Lucie won 64 67 61 :)

Dexter
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Phew. I have no idea what kind of business she had in losing that 2nd set, but win is a win. She has to raise her level up for Santangelo/Shaughnessy, I'm afraid.

Lunaris
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Phew. I have no idea what kind of business she had in losing that 2nd set, but win is a win.
Probably something like Fed in the third set yesterday. :tape: But as you said, win is a win.

iPatty
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:37 PM
hmm. winning ugly? :lol:

come on, lucie. get it together and win a few more matches this week.

~|Naomi|~
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:07 AM
what a pitiful display.drops the 2nd set tiebreak.now going to a 3rd:help:

I wouldn't describe it as pitiful. Had she lost then yes I would have. But Lucie is learning this year to win matches she would have lost in past seasons. Lucie is learning how to win when not plyaing her best tennis and when letting leads slip. Lucie is definitely improving mentally and that obviously comes from the great wins she had earlier in the year. None the less I agree with Dexter that she will need to improve her level for the round 2.

dybbuk
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:19 AM
No idea how she managed to lose a set. Good luck in the next round, Lucie. :hug:

~|Naomi|~
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Lucie is at a career high ranking of 23.
When Lucie played in Hobart in January she was ranked 74. Lucie is 28-13
(after today's win) this year. In 2006 Lucie was 21-25.
I wanted Lucie in the top 20 before the US Open but now I will be happy for her to make it after the US Open (Lucie has 2nd round to defend, Lucie won her first MD singles GS match in NY last year). Although of course I wouldn't mind if it happened straight after Toronto;)
I want Lucie to play the Asian swing again this year, last year she was in awful form in Asia and won just one match, if she plays well she can pick up big points there.

Sally Todd
Aug 14th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Agreed -- it would be pitiful if she'd lost, not dropped a very close set.

I hear you Lunaris. Lucie's bad numbers on return of serve perplex me.

They don't when I think back to some of the recent losses she's had, such as Chakvetadze at RG, or even her win over Mauresmo at RG. There, she'd lose whole games only hitting four shots -- returns-of-serve that would fly waaaay off court.

But then there's Gold Coast or Paris indoor Lucie, who teed off on the serves of her victims, including Henin, hitting return winners that were kind of Seles-like.

Lucie's game is always going to be wild and a bit streaky. But to me, the return of serve really is the key to her volatile results. I wish I understood the difficulty better to suggest what could be done.

Dexter
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM
2nd round vs Shaughnessy tomorrow. Good luck!

Robert-KimClijst
Aug 15th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Shaughnessy will be hard.

I think it's a matter of a breakthrough match for Lucie. Probably at a grand slam. maybe this one? :)

Lucie's time will come soon. She needs to beat Sahughnessy, though!

Dexter
Aug 15th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Lucie lost 63 46 57. :bigcry:

Sally Todd
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Lucie, Lucie, Lucie...:shrug:

iPatty
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:45 PM
:weirdo:

not even sure what to say to this.

Lunaris
Aug 15th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Let's hope for better times in Flushing Meadows. :shrug:

dadouch
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:01 PM
So sad. Hopefully her US Open draw will give her time to build some confidence again.

Robert-KimClijst
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:04 PM
She served well, but she returned very poorly. Shame. At least it was close. Better than a blow-out.

COME ON LUCIE!

Nedved Rosicky
Aug 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM
http://www.rogerscup.com/2/en/draws/interviews/safarova_15.asp
Lucie's interview after mathch vs Shaughnessy

Q. You've never played her before. Can you talk about what you were expecting and how it was?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: Yeah, it was a tough match. She was serving very well. I got ‑‑ yeah, she pushed me from the service, and it was very close.
Yeah, 7‑5 in the third. I had many chances to win this match, but I didn't use it, and I lost.

Q. Can you talk about your feelings right there at the end? Because you talked before about finding it difficult to know what to do when I match gets close?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: Yeah, of course. Of course I was trying to don't do any mistake there and trying to push her, but she was ‑‑ she wasn't giving me any chances on her serve. And she was going, when I didn't hit the first serve, she was attacking the second serve. So, yeah, it was difficult.

Q. Has it been tough making the transition? You went from Wimbledon to Fed Cup on clay and then hard courts?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: Yeah, it's what we usually do through the year, so you have to get used to it, yeah, to different surfaces. So it's not a problem.

Q. So are you feeling completely comfortable on the hard courts now? You've played about three tournaments?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: Yeah, it wasn't bad, yeah.

Q. Are you injured with the leg and everything?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: Little bit.

Q. Did it bother you during the match?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: In the third set.

Q. Your boyfriend, Tomas Berdych also lost in the first round in Montreal, so I guess you could say it's not a good trip for you in Canada this year.
LUCIE SAFAROVA: Yeah, maybe next year.

Q. It's going to be better next year?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: Hopefully.

Q. You've been talking a lot recently about the inter‑country rivalries like Belgian Henin and Clistjers and now Serbia and Ivanovic and Jankovic, do you look at other players like Vaidisova, and are you aware of their progress? Do you use that as a benchmark?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: I didn't really understand your question.

Q. Do you compare yourself to Nicole at all and see how she's doing?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: No, I don't do this. I just concentrate on myself. We are friends, everything is fine, but I don't really like try to be better.
Of course I'm trying to be the best that I can, but not comparing with Nicole.

Q. How about sort of other players your age? Who do you measure yourself against, if anyone?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: I think that Chakvetadze's playing very well. And Ivanovic, of course, she's hitting the ball amazing strong, so these two players are playing very well.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Lunaris
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Q. Are you injured with the leg and everything?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: Little bit.

Q. Did it bother you during the match?
LUCIE SAFAROVA: In the third set.
On photos from Toronto I noticed that her right thigh was taped again. Too bad cuz at the Fed Cup in Spain she didn't use any tape. I guess her health will be a major concern for the rest of her career. :sad:

Thanks for posting this interview.

Robert-KimClijst
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Lucie is so nice! I like what she said about Vaidisova.