PDA

View Full Version : "If there's a weakness, somebody's going to have to be attacked."

Volcana
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:07 PM
This is from the Guardian. To me, it sums up Serena's whole approach to the game. And the approach other players may have to adopt to beat her.

Apart from Serena's hunger for victory, Venus's aching shoulder defined the match. She refused to use it as an excuse afterwards, but it prevented her from producing anything like her normal speed of service. Most of her deliveries failed to break 100mph. "Unfortunately it's like war out there," Serena observed. "If there's a weakness, somebody's going to have to be attacked. So, unfortunately, it was too bad."

She's talking about my Venus here. If it wasn't so true, I's be a bit upset. I'm probably over-reading it, but notice Serena doesn't attack the weakness, she attacks the player.

"If there's a weakness, somebody's going to have to be attacked."

Of the top ten, I think only Justine and Martina really understand the difference there.

And for sure, Serena understands it.

RockSteady
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:12 AM
This shows that Serena is thinking out there. Sometimes a top player doesn't take into consideration weaknesses...why do so many people hit to Jennifer's forehand, or why don't people dropshot Lindsay? Atleast Serena is changing her plans to fit her opponent's weakness.

Infiniti2001
Jul 10th, 2002, 02:14 AM
I wish I could have a personal talk with Venus . :fiery:

or why don't people dropshot Lindsay?

I don't know about other players, but I have about 5 Lindsay vs Venus matches where Venus used the drop shot on her effectively .. In one match it looked like she was having fun tormenting Lindsay heehee