PDA

View Full Version : Davenport to return Friday in team play

GogoGirl
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:16 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20020708/sp_usatoday/4253711

Davenport to return Friday in team play
Mon Jul 8,10:40 AM ET
Tom Clark USA TODAY

Former world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport, saddled with injury, has watched the Williams sisters dominate this year. ''They have definitely taken tennis to another level,'' Davenport says. ''They're so athletic and play such a powerful game that's it's going to be hard to stop them.''

The 6-foot-2, big-hitting 1999 Wimbledon ( news - web sites) champ, who injured her right knee during the semifinals at last year's season-ending championships, had arthroscopic surgery Jan. 11.

Now, using Billie Jean King's World Team Tennis (WTT) as a springboard, Davenport is back. Friday, she and her New York Buzz teammates go to Hartford to face Meghann Shaughnessy and the FoxForce.

''My injury came at actually a good time for me,'' says Davenport, 26. ''When you play 11 months out of a year for 10 years, you get worn down. However, the last eight months have made me more refreshed and so excited to get back out on the court. I want to continue to peak and win more tournaments.''

Jimmy Connors used a stint with WTT to rehabilitate his ailing wrist in '91, and it propelled him to an electrifying performance at that year's U.S. Open ( news - web sites).

Davenport hopes for the same results. ''WTT (which starts its season tonight in Philadelphia) is a fun format for tennis players. Very rarely are we in a team format, and it's an opportunity to be more intimate with the crowd. You're playing doubles, mixed doubles and singles, and that makes it fun.''

Vincent
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Davenport,"it's just a piece of cake for me to stop them"
LOL:D

Nikki
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Go Lindsay:bounce: :bounce:

ceetje
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:31 AM
:bounce: go lindsay :bounce:

Buitenzorg
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:34 AM
welcome back Lindsay!

Maajken
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Wooohhhoooo finally :bounce:

Williams Rulez
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Go Linsday! Start winning! :kiss:

Harju.
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Lindsay :bounce:

eshell
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Go Lindsay! I love to watch Davenport play. Let's hope she recaptures the magic.

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Everyones gonna go mad when Lindsays gonna have to play Serena or Venus in a tournament for the first time after her injury!

RAA
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:43 PM
well, since I live in Philadelphia, perhaps I should try and attend a Freedoms match....
I would like to see Lindsay when she comes to philly, but from what I can figure out, i don't think she plays all the team events, just certain ones. so I don't think she's playing when her team comes to Philly later this month.
which is a shame.