PDA

View Full Version : The best one handed backhand in the last 12 years?

Brown Shugah
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:34 PM
What female player do you think has had the undisputed best one handed backhand in the last 12 years?

jujufan
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Justine of course lol!!!!!!!!!

per4ever
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:45 PM
I think there were more topplayers with a one handed backhand..what about Novotna? I thought she had a one handed backhand too..

irma
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:46 PM
where is steffi? it was her best shot still her father forbid her to use it and she still became number 1 so that make undisputed queen :cool:
and second she turned a grandslam final around with a one handed back hand too, her opponent totally broke apart after only that makes the undisputed queen even more :cool:
o yeah and then she also had her buterfly slice, reason number 3 why she is the undisputed queen :cool:

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Conchita

I love her backhand :hearts:

Bероника
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Mauresmo,it's the most beautiful backhand I've ever seen!

Frau Antje
Jul 9th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Justine

Nimi
Jul 9th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Justine will win this poll because she is now considered to be the best one handed back-hander on the tour, no one remembers the quality of backhands 12 years ago.
except for irma maybe.

Elleke
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:18 PM
justineeee

MLF
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Sabatini! She had a blistering down the line topspin as well as beautiful, graceful slices for approach shots. My favourite to watch and everyone at the time admired it. Posters on this board probably haven't seen too much tennis it would seem from replies for Mauresmo and Henin to be leading.
Graf's backhand was lethal on grass barely bouncing while Navratilova's spinny approaches were a nightmare to dig up.

E. Blackadder
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:56 PM
justine (for now) 'cause I don't know the girls from before my birth :D

selesfan
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:56 PM
I think Amelie has the best one-handed backhand, its a beautiful shot.

eshell
Jul 9th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Sabatini had a gorgeous one-handed backhand. She could hit with a lot of topspin, slice, or flatten it out and aim for the lines.

Justine and Amelie's backhands are beautiful to watch but they haven't won enough with them yet. Give them a few more years and I will rank them more highly.

Sean
Jul 9th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Justine Henin :D

Sonja
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:04 PM
what eshell said :D

TSequoia01
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:36 PM
DANIILIDOU!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

schris
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Where is Steffi, Jana ???!!!!:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Steffi had the best one handed slice backhand in history !!!

Dirty Sanchez
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Jana had a good one but from the list I'll go with Justine

Sevenseas
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:06 PM
I vote for Justine ! Sabatini had a great backhand, though. :)

Kart
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:12 PM
There is no point in me voting because I never saw Mandlikova and I have no idea who Catarina Lundquist is :confused:.

Sabatini's backhand was the greatest I've ever seen mainly because she had so much variety. It's the shot that made me a fan.

Mark43
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Excuse me...where the hell is Steffi Graf's name?
Not only did she have the greatest slice backhand of all time, it was THE most attacked shot in the history of tennis (men's or women's). Everybody hit the ball to Steffi's backhand and it emerged a thing of beauty. I actually preferred to watch her hit a skidding, low slice backhand rather than an explosive forehand...simply for the sheer beauty of it. And it worked marvelously on any surface, including clay.

Steffi's backhand survived the awesome power of Seles, Venus, Navratilova, Mandlikova, Davenport and Pierce. I think she has a winning record against all these foes and all they did was hit to her backhand.

Steffi also had a very powerful topspin backhand that she would unleash now and again, particulary in her first Wimbledon win over Martina in 1988. She felt more comfortable slicing the ball to set her forehand up, but when Steffi would slam a topspin backhand (about once every two matches) the crowd would gasp, just as they did when she walloped a forehand.

disposablehero
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Interesting voting results. Maybe you should have named the poll "Best backhand of the past 2 years".

Mandlikova was devastating.

schris
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:54 PM
I agree with Mark32 !!!!:wavey:

Mark43
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Thanks, schris!
I like being 32! and I LOOOOVED Steffi's backhand, I am forever trying to copy that nasty slice. I love how she leaned into it and in many photographs looked as if she might be falling forward right after contact with the ball.

LucasArg
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Gabriela, Amelie and Justine.

ys
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Henin, hands down. Her backhand is a phenomenal shot.

way
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:37 PM
The flat (topspin) backhand Graf has so seldom used is one of the best baseline shots i've seen

Less effective, but nicer than her forehand, too, actually!

Brian Stewart
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:36 AM
12 years ago, a certain player, who is curiously missing from the list, used her one-handed backhand to win her 9th Wimbledon singles title.

What about Zina, Lori, Gigi? And before Justine and Momo emerged, Corina Morariu was considered to have the most beautiful backhand currently in the game. Certainly has a nice slice.

Alberto
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Conchita Martínez and Justine Henin

Celeste
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:08 AM
I won't judge by tv. I have actually seen Amelie and Conchita do backhands in person. Amelie's actual hitting of the backhand is the most pleasant to watch, just great, but I never thought it was that well placed or looked that interesting after her body finished the shot. Conchita's actual shot (when she was playing well) seemed to have a lot more to it and was better-placed. She can land it on the line with a ton of pretty spin, Amelie's looked a little flat and landed well within the line. Justine's is nice also, very consistently hit even against hard shots.

Brown Shugah
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Mark35
Excuse me...where the hell is Steffi Graf's name?

Thats why the 10th pick is other, so people can say someone else who is not on the list that they feel should be. Personally, Steffi's slice backhand never impressed me, I liked her topspin one, but she hardly ever hit it. Same goes for Zina.

Zummi
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:31 AM
I am probably biased, but I thought Martina's one-handed backhand was the best I saw b/c she used it to attack the net and not just as a defensive shot. And she also had the variety being able to hit it flat as well as with topspin, which she did a lot more than others. Her backhand overhead was an absolute wonder.

Mark43
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Personally, Steffi's slice backhand never impressed me, I liked her topspin one, but she hardly ever hit it.

...what?

spencercarlos
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:19 AM
what about Steffi´s backhand slice? defensive? yeah tough to pass with slice, but she set up a lot of her points with that killer and skiddy slice backhand, she could hit it hard also which amazed me a lot

TS
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:28 AM
My favorite one-handed backhand was always the one used by Catarina Lindqvist. Absolutely breathtaking, and it was considered by many in the late 80's to be the best going around.

As for the time being, its Justine hands down. Great shot.

Williams Rulez
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Justine... Momo is pretty close too... :D

moby
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by irma
where is steffi? it was her best shot still her father forbid her to use it and she still became number 1 so that make undisputed queen :cool:
and second she turned a grandslam final around with a one handed back hand too, her opponent totally broke apart after only that makes the undisputed queen even more :cool:
o yeah and then she also had her buterfly slice, reason number 3 why she is the undisputed queen :cool:

wow you mean it was actually her best shot
why did her father forbid it!!!
i want to hear more of that story... :D

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:03 AM
I read it in a book, he had some fight about it with some person and so steffi went over to slice while her topspinbackhand was her best shot before(that's something I have read in other books too)
but maybe it was very smart, I mean when people think you have a weak shot and you are about to lose and then suddenly at 4:6 4:5 15:15 you hit that shot and makes a beautiful point with it. It can totally break your opponent down. we have that prove :cool:

moby
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:06 AM
hmmm... i wonder if i know that match ;)

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:09 AM
btw she did it twice at the same score and won both times with the same score too;)

bilal
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:33 AM
99 FO, I get it... whats the other one.?

wave
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Irma: Grafs father forbid her to use a backhand shot??? :eek: I wouldn't say that this statement makes any sense. (At least if this shot was beautiful and successful).

Her backhand slice was underrated but her backhand topspin was not really successful. It was always played cross court and way too short. She got the few points with it because most of her oponents were so surprised that they completely forgot to play the next ball. ;)

So what is left is her backhand slice. I agree that this was the best slice I have ever seen. But still this side was her weeker side. She knew it (that's why she often tried to play forehand from the backhand side) and the other players knew it. She won all that titles INSPITE of having no real weapon on her backhand side. The slice worked well on grass and on clay but not on hardcourts etc. That doesn't make her success less admirable, but to say that she has had the best backhand? No way! I would go for Sabatinis backhand although I have to admit that I haven't seen this shot for ages (no tape of old matches), so it's hard to compare to Henin and Mauresmo.

mettabear
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:49 AM
AMELIE ......takes my breath away:hearts:

...just an aside

if you go back further than 12 years, I wonder if anyone else remembers the splender of the great Betty Stove...... the wood racket of course needed a different style, but her backhand down the line was also a thing of beauty.

allez amelie:kiss:

luv
metta

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:15 PM
see wave you said your self, the players were so suprised they forget to hit and lost the match;)
undoubtfully Steffi was also the smartest player ever :cool: ;)

Kart
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:03 PM

undoubtfully Steffi was also the smartest player ever :cool: ;)

You wouldn't happen to be a Steffi fan would you :p .

Graf's backhand slice was a great shot. Probably her topspin backhand was more effective because she didn't use it that much and kept that element of surprise (eg. French open 1999).

I think the fact that she was such a great athelete is what made that slice so resistant to all comers, her footwork was just amazing :eek:.

stefanieforever
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:29 PM
I read it in a book, he had some fight about it with some person and so steffi went over to slice while her topspinbackhand was her best shot before(that's something I have read in other books too)
but maybe it was very smart, I mean when people think you have a weak shot and you are about to lose and then suddenly at 4:6 4:5 15:15 you hit that shot and makes a beautiful point with it. It can totally break your opponent down. we have that prove :cool:
I do understand what you mean:bounce:
The 99RG final was just the case:wavey:

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:38 PM
kart
me a Steffi fan? where did you get that idea from :p;)

tommyk75
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:40 PM
This is a real tough one, and it's all completely subjective of course. Anyways, here are my opinions.

Both Gabriela and Conchita had very good backhands, but they had problems that were mirror opposites of each other. Sabatini had an amazing down-the-line backhand (probably the best ever), but I always thought she hit her crosscourt backhand with too much spin and it landed too short too many times. Conchita, on the other hand, had a great crosscourt backhand (remember the passes against Martina N at Wimbledon?), but her down-the-line wasn't as good. Of the two, I think Gabriela's was better, as she hit hers with topsin more often and more effectively.

Steffi DID have a good backhand. It didn't score a lot of winners, but she used it to move her opponents around and draw the short ball, which she would then pound with her forehand of course. As for her topsin backhand... well, it was actually quite a powerful shot when she had to play Martina Navratilova a lot. If you watch the '89 Wimbledon and U.S. Open finals, you would've been amazed by Steffi's backhand passes (I have both matches on tape, so I remember them well). But with time, the shot seemed to regress more and more, I guess because she stopped playing Martina N so much and didn't need to use it. So I'd give her slice an A and her topsin a B-. *One note: Steffi did seem to have backhand issues at times. Before Monica's first-ever French Open final against Steffi, Monica actually saw Steffi practicing with a two-handed backhand. Monica correctly surmised that Steffi's confidence with the backhand was low and attacked it mercilessly during the final. Result: Monica won 7-6,6-4 to become the youngest French Open winner ever.

Catarina Lindqvist, for those who remember her, had a really beautiful backhand. She hit hers almost completely flat, with seemingly no topspin at all. The only person who hit a similar backhand that I remember was Hana Mandlikova, who also had a very nice flat one.

With all of that said, I gotta say that Amelie Mauresmo (when she's on) has the most impressive backhand I've ever seen. Justine's is really good, too, but Amelie's is even better I think. She can rip it down the line or crosscourt or slice it or hit an acutely short angle. Against Lindsay at the Aussie Open when she made the final, she really was hitting it like "a man" (ha ha), and against Jennifer C at Wimbledon, it was just on fire. If Amelie can just get her head together, I think she could become the Williams' top challenger some day in the near future.

way
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Graf the smartest player ever???
What are you talking about, Irma?
:)

Had Graf been any smart (let alone "smartest"), she'd never kave lost (quoting off the top of my head), UO90, AO92, W94 and W99.
And, above all, she'd have never had her "annus horribilis" 894) in which she lost almost everything for her guilty feelings.

Graf was strong physically, but she was mentally fragile.
When she won matches she "might" have lost (W93, e.g.), she fought back, yes, but back from lapses she herself provoked, not caused by her opponents' strenght.

way
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:52 PM
And, back to "historical backhands", i think Zummi has a point here.
Yes, Navra's bh was beautiful, as all her shots, ultimately.
Her "net" backhand (volley or demivolley) was, to me, the most beautiful shot i've seen in women's tennis.
Only McEnroe did better.
:rolleyes:

But the point is that Navratilova is not "usually" considered a player of the nineties.
So all tend to exclude her from 90s polls.
Aren't you the one, in the end, who says Navratilova was already downhill in 87-88???
:cool:

stefanieforever
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:05 PM
steffi is just a shy girl:p
she never do something for ostentation

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Steffi had her mental lapses and made some weird decisions wich costed her at least 3 french open titles and some more but apart from that she was still the smartest;) :p

Mark43
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Steffi didn't play the Aussie Open '92.

And what is this "12 year" crap???

Anyways, how about Evonne Goolagong's lovely backhand, both slice and topspin. She could place the ball ANYWHERE, hit it hard or let it linger like an angel floating on the clouds...oops, I got carried away!

way
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Mark, i was of course refering to the following year, when she was up a set.
And, frankly, after re-reading my post, i realized that i should have put also FO92
:rolleyes:

As to the 12 year cr**, i don't know, frankly.
It's in the thread subject, i didn't choose it.
Had i had to vote for the best bh "ever", i for one would have chosen differently.
Navra's bh, maybe.
Or King's.

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Justine's backhand is good. That's the first thing that attracted me to her game.:cool: