PDA

View Full Version : US Open Final 2002 - A Debate

DEETHELICK
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Okay, so most of us have seen the Wimby final, and the sisters produced a good quality match.

The question is, would you, yes you, mind seeing an All Williams final at the US Open? (Seeing as it could happen)

Many posters felt that All Williams encounters are not very good quality. Wimbledon was a step in the right direction.

Has this match changed your attitude towards Williams finals? And has your opinion changed?

Or would you still prefer to see a 'Williams vs Other' or 'Other vs Other' final?

DEETHELICK
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:11 PM
I voted for Williams vs Other.

The Williams are a benchmark for the tour at this point in time. It'd be nice to see someone try to challenge that benchmark and produce a breakthrough for other players to follow.

Plus it would also add variety to the the current trend of GS finals.

Kart
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:12 PM
For me one Williams sister in the final is preferable.

That said though, if they both play well enough to reach the final they deserve to be there and it won't stop me watching.

Ryan
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:57 PM
I'd want to see Other vs. Other:p but that wont happen. Williams vs. Other would be most enjoyable for ME, because I like watching the usually contrasting styles of both players. I think Serena is almost garanteed in the final, but Venus has a question mark next to her(IMO). She looked dejected during their doubles final, and if that keeps up she could be beatable.

supremeross
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Serena v. Venus. Plain and simple.

angele87
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:05 PM
I would like to see anybody but Venus, Serena and Jennifer in the final. Why? Not because I have anything against those players but because I'd like to see somebody new win a slam. Those three have won what? The last 12-15 slams or something :confused: It's somebody else's turn :D

GATORSHORT
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Some of you people act like it's some of the lesser players right to get to a grandslam final,but it's not . It's about who can get there and who plays hisor her best.

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Please other & other :sad:

LucasArg
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Venus vs Serena, but I want VENUS to win it;)

Williams Rulez
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Williams vs Williams... I would like that again... :D

moby
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:32 AM
i'm surprised you're not sick of it yet ;)

Raisin
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Williams vs Williams will be great:hearts:

moby
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:37 AM
any final would be great
but isnt williams/williams a little ummm... old??? ;)

Williams Rulez
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:52 AM
No... there have only been 3... nothing compared to how many finals that Martina and Chris had between them... :p

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:07 AM
I wanna see a Navratilova-Evert final... ;)

Williams Rulez
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Me too... :D

I bet all my money on Martina... :eek: :D

ßcoene
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:53 AM
I voted other vs. other not because I don't like Venus and Serena but If they are not in the final then maybe Justine and/or Clijsters and I would like that more.

~ The Leopard ~
Jul 10th, 2002, 11:03 AM
It'd be so much more interesting to see any of the following, for a change:

Amelie vs Dani
Amelie vs Kim
Amelie vs Justine
Amelie vs Jelena
Amelie vs Elena....

Dani vs Kim
Dani vs Justine
Dani vs Jelena.......

etc etc. Get the idea? Something *different*....

.... as a final.

servenrichie
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Williams vs Williams will be more than great.
It is the benchmark for great tennis!

Hulet
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:01 PM
I voted for williams Vs other since I think it will be a serena vs Anna k. final:) (j/k) seriously though, jenCap is most likely to be a finalist against one of the sisters. Hope, she gets her second slam title of the year :bounce: go jenn :bounce:

brickhousesupporter
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:04 PM
I would like to see Williams vs Williams. Not because I have anything against the other players, but because that loss left Venus with a sour taste in her mouth. I think she could be out for some revenge. Think of the possible tension that could be on court. The tennis should be spectacular.

victory1
Jul 10th, 2002, 02:11 PM
I'm very confident if they are healthy Venus and Serena will make the finals! Thast's my choice, Williams vs Williams.

Venus
US Open Record

1997-Runner-up
1998- Semi
1999- Semi
2000- Winner
2001- Winner

Serena
US Open Record

1998- 3rd Round
1999- Winner
2000- Quarters
2001- Runner-up

It seems both of them love the US Open, and bring some of their best game to the tournament. I want to see how well they do when the entire field is present! Oops, forgot, they were all there in 2001 and guess what, the final was still Williams vs Williams!

typh00nz
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by saki
I wanna see a Navratilova-Evert final... ;) Better yet, how about Anna K vs Martina N? Everett would not stand a chance against any seeded player!:p ;) :wavey:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:11 AM
I would like to see Other vs. Other!

ys
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:23 AM
All Williams final could be a good match, but still I would not want to see it. I'll explain. Very few people are fans of one of Williams and not fans of the other one. So as a rule, 95% of fans either like both of them, or don't like either of them. Meaning that only few people woulod really care about who wins. All-Williams final for Williams fans is just pretty much like an all-Russian final ( say, Dementieva-Myskina ) for me, I'd like to see it, but I would be happy whoever wins, the same was as I would not really care who wins an all-Williams final, so either would not really be that exciting. I don't mind against Wililams-Other final at all though.

Volcana
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Williams vs Williams. Failing that Good vs Evil could be entertaining.

Becool
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Sorry but if Venus and Serena reaches at the finals it's cause they deserved to. So I don't think it's fair to say that they won't play a good match, and will not worth to see. Wimbledon finals just shut up some people's mouth. I believe that US Open finals will be a superb final, specially with Venus and Serena on it.

Venus wants so much to win Serena this season, and Serena wants so much to continue her domination on Venus, looks like a psychological war. The drama also will be included!

It will be awesome, and I really hope they reach finals again. So I voted for Williams vs Williams!

Lisbeth
Jul 11th, 2002, 04:16 AM
I voted Williams v Other because I want Kim in it and I'd like a change, but I don't mind watching W v W either. And I completely agree that if those two reach a final they deserve to play it in peace whatever the match is like.