PDA

View Full Version : Venus has nearly no points to defend for the rest of the season...

jrollaneres25
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:32 AM
So that means every tournament she does well at will only lift her ranking. And know that, after tomorrow she will be back in the top 10, only can make her hungrier for more titles and a higher ranking eventually catipulting to the # 1 SPOT!!!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:33 AM
So that means every tournament she does well at will only lift her ranking. And know that, after tomorrow she will be back in the top 10, only can make her hungrier for more titles and a higher ranking eventually catipulting to the # 1 SPOT!!!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

i hope so too!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

RenaSlam.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:33 AM
:)

Geisha
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:34 AM
That's really nice to hear. If she beats Anna, she's back in the Top Ten. And, if she does really well in Toronto, she might even be seeded in the Top Eight for the US Open!! =]

ico4498
http://static.mazdas247.com/smilies/mj.gif

Sportfan
Not a surprise.

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:36 AM
I don't think she'll ever be number one again but top ten or five would be great for her.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:40 AM
she only has a 1st round win in luxembourg to defend. she will gain points in montreal, the uso open and any indoor event at the end of the year (hopefully he will play at least two). i dont really see her not making the YEC so she will gain points there as well. if she wins montreal and the uso. ending the year no.1 is quiet possible. especillay because the current top 3 have plenty of points to defend at the open.

venus_rulez
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:40 AM
I don't see her getting back to #1, not because she isn't fully capable or has the game to do so, but I don't think she plays enough to get that ranking away from someone like Justine. Not that it matters, she doesn't need it, obviously :)

-VSR-
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:43 AM
Venus, could get to the number one ranking. Only because she usually does well at the slams and she still has all the points in the world to gain until Memphis/Miami. That's more than enough time to get the #1 ranking. I think my girl could do it. She plays a good amount of tournaments, not just the grand slams and tier I's, like my other girl Serena. :p

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:44 AM
Even if Venus accumulated like 2000 points before the end of the year, Henin would still be ahead most likely. If healthy, Henin will probably gain points this summer and in the fall as well. I think Jankovic and maybe Sharapova would be ahead of her as well.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:45 AM
I don't see her getting back to #1, not because she isn't fully capable or has the game to do so, but I don't think she plays enough to get that ranking away from someone like Justine. Not that it matters, she doesn't need it, obviously :)

if she wins montreal and uso shell be close and justine has a lot of rankings to defend. she has the uso final and the yec win. thats a lot of points.

Foxy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:45 AM
Venus rulez,

You are so right.

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:46 AM
if she wins montreal and uso shell be close and justine has a lot of rankings to defend. she has the uso final and the yec win. thats a lot of points.

But last year Henin had bad injuries. She missed Toronto, Zurich, Stuttgart etc. Right now I'd say the chance of Venus getting back to number one is about 2%.

ico4498
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:47 AM
http://static.mazdas247.com/smilies/fuckyou.GIF #1 ... win slams baby! http://static.mazdas247.com/smilies/nana.gif

Brooks.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
Even if Venus accumulated like 2000 points before the end of the year, Henin would still be ahead most likely. If healthy, Henin will probably gain points this summer and in the fall as well. I think Jankovic and maybe Sharapova would be ahead of her as well.

sharapova has a shit load of points to defend this summer and fall...no way she does as well as she did last year

she won something like 3 or 4 tournaments in a row and the semis of the yec

Dawn Marie
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:55 AM
I like Venus's chances. She didn't even play the US Open last year nor did she play Australian Open. I think she can do it! SHE WILL DO IT!

U can never count out Venus Williams.

winone23
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:15 AM
http://static.mazdas247.com/smilies/mj.gif

:lol: :lol:

winone23
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Keep climbing your way back to the top Venus!

jrollaneres25
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
But last year Henin had bad injuries. She missed Toronto, Zurich, Stuttgart etc. Right now I'd say the chance of Venus getting back to number one is about 2%.

%2 Percent!! :haha: :spit:

That is sooo funny b/c that the same percentage people gave her in her chances of Winning Wimbledon, for the 4th time.

wow...I'd give her the other %98 percent. Dude, Venus just could serve everyone off the court. She's clearly the most powerful, most athletic, and fastest woman tennis player the tour has ever seen

StarDuvallGrant
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:30 AM
Loving her move up - all good stuff coming from Venus.

eugreene2
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:31 AM
another PREMATURE thread. People ride their emotions so much that if Venus loses this weekend, we may need the paramedics for some

RJWCapriati
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Definitely top 5 by end of year

densuprun
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:43 AM

That is sooo funny b/c that the same percentage people gave her in her chances of Winning Wimbledon, for the 4th time.

wow...I'd give her the other %98 percent.

Then you should be happy to accept a bet where you lose $98 if Venus is not #1 by the end of the year while winning $2 if she is. Would you accept it?

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM

wow...I'd give her the other %98 percent. Dude, Venus just could serve everyone off the court. She's clearly the most powerful, most athletic, and fastest woman tennis player the tour has ever seen

You are completely right. VeNuS iz tha bEsT PlAyer everrr!!!!!!111one

There is definately a 98% chance of her finishing the year number one.:help:

ico4498
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:51 AM
another PREMATURE thread. People ride their emotions so much that if Venus loses this weekend, we may need the paramedics for some

'xactly what is premature about noting Vee's point situation this year? :confused:

Vee's fans know how to deal with a loss. and we absolutely know how to throw down a victory celebration ... http://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/images/smilies/jump.gif

if yah need it http://static.mazdas247.com/smilies/google.gif ... must be some good sites to mope.

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
'xactly what is premature about noting Vee's point situation this year? :confused:

Vee's fans know how to deal with a loss. and we absolutely know how to throw down a victory celebration ... http://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/images/smilies/jump.gif

if yah need it http://static.mazdas247.com/smilies/google.gif ... must be some good sites to mope.

She's had a great month. To say that she will finish the year ranked number one is premature. She is almost 3000 points behind Henin.

ico4498
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
She's had a great month. To say that she will finish the year ranked number one is premature. She is almost 3000 points behind Henin.

OP noted her current form and hoped for success that'll motivate her to better rankings (maybe #1?). no time period mentioned in the OP.

not a ranking nut myself but whats premature about that? every fan feels the same about their fav ... http://www.aussiestockforums.com/forums/images/smilies/samurai.gif

moor
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=ico4498;11340682]'xactly what is premature about noting Vee's point situation this year? :confused:

Vee's fans know how to deal with a loss. and we absolutely know how to throw down a victory celebration ...
QUOTE]

You got that right:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Tennisation
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
why are u guys arguing about whether Vee will get back to #1 or not? It's not like she gives a shit about being #1.

Marshmallow
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
Definitely top 5 by end of year

Gosh i HOPE so. The most important thing then is that venus stays healthy and wins the matches. If she beats Anna tomorrow though :bounce: That would be 10 already i hear.

vesanto
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
This forum has got crazy all over Venus! Relax people and enjoy each match. She's playing well and let's see what she can do but I definitely think lots of guys are dreaming here. Venus will not be number 1 and that's fine for me. I just want her to be healthy and competitive.

Shepster
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
If she beats Anna tomorrow though :bounce: That would be 10 already i hear.
No, she has to win the tournament to ensure top 10, final to go ahead of Hantuchova and must at least match Dementieva's result. She beats Anna tomorrow she's still behind Maid Marion and Dani.

Tennisaddict
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
I hope she gets back into the top 5 where she belongs. She could get to nr 1. but that would be a bonus. I want her to win San Diego, Us Open and the YEC. That would cap of a great comeback year!

Chance
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
This forum has got crazy all over Venus! Relax people and enjoy each match. She's playing well and let's see what she can do but I definitely think lots of guys are dreaming here. Venus will not be number 1 and that's fine for me. I just want her to be healthy and competitive.

ITA!!!

But I understand why fellow V fans are excited.

WF4EVER
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:55 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. I really don't know what the frenzy is about. I sincerely doubt that Venus gives a shit about being No. 1.

Being No. 1 does not guarantee that you'll win tournaments, especially Slams and that's what Venus wants to do: win Slams.

Why would she care about being No. 1 when she has never won a Slam (or any tournament for that matter) as No. 1? She was the lowest seed to win Wimby twice!

I wish some people would just think logically instead of rushing into a frenzy over unimportant issues.

Venus needs to stay healthy and focussed and she could keep winning. At this stage of her career, I'm sure that's what she's focussing on, too.

jonny84
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Great to see her back in the Top10. How it has changed over the space of a year! Welcoming the serbians and AnnaC and losing Dementieva and Schnyder.

jrollaneres25
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
I can't totally agree with everyone on this board. Seeing the #1 by your name DOES give you a special feeling, a feeling that you don't want to let go. I've heard a couple of interviews of Venus speaking about being #1 again. They both want it. Clearly Serena expresses it after every win by throwing up the finger.

Of course the titles are the most important of all that comes with winning, but you can't tell me that, as a tennis player being trained and drilled to be #1 and the very best, that you don't care AT ALL about being #1. I couldn't imagine Venus getting like #4 or #3 in the world and settling, knowing in the back of her mind that she's that close to being on top of EVERYONE.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:44 PM
I can't totally agree with everyone on this board. Seeing the #1 by your name DOES give you a special feeling, a feeling that you don't want to let go. I've heard a couple of interviews of Venus speaking about being #1 again. They both want it. Clearly Serena expresses it after every win by throwing up the finger.

Of course the titles are the most important of all that comes with winning, but you can't tell me that, as a tennis player being trained and drilled to be #1 and the very best, that you don't care AT ALL about being #1. I couldn't imagine Venus getting like #4 or #3 in the world and settling, knowing in the back of her mind that she's that close to being on top of EVERYONE.

Serena and Venus both think they are the best the rankings matter little if you are thrashing the field to win major titles.

Venus settled for #3 while winning four slam titles in two years. I'd much rather have her at #17 w/the Wimbledon title than number 2 w/no titles.:eek:

jrollaneres25
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:03 PM
Serena and Venus both think they are the best the rankings matter little if you are thrashing the field to win major titles.

Venus settled for #3 while winning four slam titles in two years. I'd much rather have her at #17 w/the Wimbledon title than number 2 w/no titles.:eek:

Although the rankings matter little, which is true...AND SAD at the same time, if they both get on winning streaks, that in itself would raise there ranking inevitably. And since they don't play that much tennis, I couldn't imagine them in the top 3 in the world with no titles. Now that would be impossible. And it's almost a sure bet that, when they are in a final of an event, that they will come out victorious.

Shepster
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM
I can't totally agree with everyone on this board. Seeing the #1 by your name DOES give you a special feeling, a feeling that you don't want to let go. I've heard a couple of interviews of Venus speaking about being #1 again. They both want it.
Yeah, I saw a lengthy interview with Serena prior to Wimbledon and she was proud to be back in the top ten and I think she would love to be #1, but her health comes first. Henin shows you don't have to play 17 tournaments a year to be #1, you can do it on a Williams-style schedule but you have to go deep in every tournament you enter. First priority for both sisters at the moment is getting and staying healthy. #1 is something they want, Grand Slams they can/will/do pick up on the way but the title of "#1 player in the world" is the icing on the cake and a very "now" accolade, whereas the slams are timeless and the more immediate goal.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Although the rankings matter little, which is true...AND SAD at the same time, if they both get on winning streaks, that in itself would raise there ranking inevitably. And since they don't play that much tennis, I couldn't imagine them in the top 3 in the world with no titles. Now that would be impossible. And it's almost a sure bet that, when they are in a final of an event, that they will come out victorious.

I think the number one ranking has been devalued since Hingis was ranked number one and nobody really considered her the best player on the tour after 1999, that followed by Lindsay being number one w/out any Slam titles. The casual fan seem to equate number one ranking w/being the best, while that has been true on the mens side for many years we can't always say the same for the WTA tour.

Lucas78
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM
At this point, for Venus, I think ranking should be more a matter of getting easier draws and the possibility of entering the YEC; not really a way to make a "statement" or suchlike. Yes, it's surely nice and all, but she has nothing to prove on that regard, IMO.

Callystarr
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Lets not also forget that she has NOT points to defend until around Memphis/Miami of next year...she has An awful lot of time to gain some points...I mean still a little premature if she will continue to play extremely well but she has...great potential to be VERY high in the ranking...

You look @

potential win here in San Diego
Toronto
US Open
1-2 Fall Events
Year End Championships
Australian Open
Antwerp (she always plays)
Dubai

*lets face it if she keeps playing well, going deep on these surfaces she plays well on* Venus can vault herself back into the top 3.

jrollaneres25
Aug 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM
All I'm saying is that, seeing Federer dominate like he has AND be #1, has clearly had an affect on both sisters because they've expressed that they want to get back to that coveted spot.

Melly Flew Us
Aug 5th, 2007, 09:22 PM
come vee. eating cake is better than looking at cake.

kadirelf
Aug 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM
toronto = 430 points
Us open = 1000 points
luxemburg 275 points
bangkok 140 points
zurich 430 points
yec 750 points
sdiego 110 points
and now 1625 points

total 4760 points
:):):):):):):):):)

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 5th, 2007, 10:16 PM
she never has any points to defend but she doesn't play in the fall

frontier
Aug 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Venus doesnt play a lot after USA OPEN and she seems not to care about the YEC.

darrinbaker00
Aug 6th, 2007, 04:10 AM
We've been singing that same "no points to defend" song for four years now. I would much rather see it than hear it.

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 6th, 2007, 05:29 AM

Great post. Very succinct. :yeah:

Geisha
Aug 6th, 2007, 07:13 AM
We've been singing that same "no points to defend" song for four years now. I would much rather see it than hear it.

Yup.

jrollaneres25
Sep 9th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Well, now I'm happy for Venus cuz she can definitely take a positive out of this tournament...SHE'LL BE BACK IN THE TOP 10!!!