PDA

View Full Version : Kirilenko's prize for defeating Jankvoic? A labrador retriever!

Natash.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:51 AM
http://www.thetennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=3186

CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) -Maria Kirilenko earned the biggest victory of her career with a 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 win over No. 3 ranked Jelena Jankovic on Thursday in the Acura Classic.

Kirilenko's victory moved five Russian players into Friday's quarterfinals, including No. 1 seed Maria Sharapova. The defending tournament champion advanced with a 6-0, 6-3 win over No. 13 Tatiana Golovin of France.

Kirilenko, unseeded and ranked 42nd in the world, needed three match points in the third set to finish off Jankovic, the No. 2 seed. Kirilenko, 20, beat a top-10 player for the just the third time in her career, but this was her first victory against Jankovic.

``I think Maria played really well, one of her best matches,'' Jankovic said of Kirilenko. ``I was struggling the whole match. I had a cold. I had my chances. The chances were there, but I didn't do the right thing.''

Kirilenko credited her aggressive play for the victory.

``With (top players), if you play passive, it doesn't work,'' Kirilenko said. ``I tried to be more aggressive and it helped me.''

Kirilenko said she had extra motivation to win the match. Her coach promised to buy her a labrador retriever if she pulled out a victory.

``At the end of the match I started to think about it,'' said Kirilenko as she laughed. ``I was thinking, 'Match point, and the dog is mine.'''

Of the remaining Russians, ninth-seeded Elena Dementieva was the most impressive with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over No. 5 seed Marion Bartoli of France. Third-seeded Anna Chakvetadze advanced with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Japan's Ai Sugiyama for her 11th straight victory. No. 4 seed Nadia Petrova was a 6-3, 7-6 (10) winner over Slovenia's Katarina Srebotnik.

Eighth-seeded Dinara Safina of Russia was beaten by India's Sania Mirza, 6-1. 6-2. Mirza is coming off a runner-up finish to Chakvetadze on Sunday in the Bank of the West Classic at Stanford.

A change of strategy helped lift Dementieva over Bartoli, a Wimbledon finalist this year. Dementieva decided to vary her hitting tempo in the third-round match.

``I changed up my tactics because I know that she likes to play fast,'' Dementieva said. ``I hit some drop shots and tried to change the pace.''

Bartoli, who lost to Venus Williams in straight sets at the Wimbledon finals, agreed that Dementieva's tactics worked.

``You look like you're in control, but she makes you work for every point,'' Bartoli said. ``You think you're on top of her but if you don't play a quick ball, she'll push it back at you and put pressure on you.''

Chakvetadze, winner of the last two WTA tournaments and 22 of 24 matches since May, was pushed by Sugiyama. But she overcame Sugiyama, who has beaten four top 10-ranked opponents in 13 tournaments in San Diego.

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:08 AM
lil'dolce will be his name !

Natash.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:17 AM

:spit: :lol:

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:19 AM
Maria. :lol: :hearts:

LindsayRulz
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:21 AM
Kirilenko said she had extra motivation to win the match. Her coach promised to buy her a labrador retriever if she pulled out a victory.

:lol:

RenaSlam.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Great personality, one of the best looking on tour too :hearts: :drool:

Yum.

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:25 AM

oh no!!
another gay name for a male dog!! :lol:
seriously..isn't that bad to give a gay name for a dog who looks like a girl
but a Golden Retriever!!
she's gotta come with Rex or Capone..or something more male!! :lol:

Now seriously...I would love a pic of both!!

RatedR Superstar
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:27 AM
``At the end of the match I started to think about it,'' said Kirilenko as she laughed. ``I was thinking, 'Match point, and the dog is mine.'''

:lol: :lol:

sammy01
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:36 AM
when she says 'match point the dog is mine' is she still on about the golden retriever or jelena jankovic? :lol: :tape: :help:

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:37 AM
Labradors :hearts: Good choice, Maria.

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:51 AM
:rolls:

Congrats Maria! :yeah:

(on both the win and labrador :unsure: :lol: )

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:55 AM
:lol: That's funny. Wish I could get that kind of motivation to win matches! :lol:

Knizzle
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:11 AM
when she says 'match point the dog is mine' is she still on about the golden retriever or jelena jankovic? :lol: :tape: :help:COOOOOLD BLOODED!!!!

frontier
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
Jelena has excuses each time she loses,and a little disrespectful .

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:35 AM
:bounce: YAY MARIA :woohoo:

:unsure: Hopefully this means that she's out of her 'slump' :aparty:

ce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
JANKVOIC :rolleyes:

ce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:39 AM
Jelena has excuses each time she loses,and a little disrespectful .

:wavey: ,please read the match report from our friend from board
and please tell me when did she acted with no respect:help:

Dexter
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
Masza... that's so cute. :lol: :hug:

furrykitten
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
Great victory for Maria :hug:

tennnisfannn
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
I literally thought the labrador retreiver meant ElenaD:lol: Is there anything that girl cannot retreive?

only_one_maria
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
To all those who have doubted Maria - shame on you!
To all those who say she is just a pretty face, doesn't deserve Stella McCartney designs - Shame on you.
To the idoit,i won't name them, who said after Maria's defeat last week (on the back of a 3 hour match the previous day) that Makiri should stop playing higher tier tournaments because she isn't good enough - SHAME ON YOU!

Vassili
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
so cute :cool: congrats Maria :kiss:

-sugi-
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Maria :awww:

lilimi
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
maria is so cute!

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
:lol: masha :kiss:

Thanx4nothin
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
I love her personality, she may go onto my fav list soon, I've always loved her game.

Ben.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Makiri :) she must of really wanted that labrador really badly. good to see her personality shining through :yeah:

Craigy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Awww Maria. :hearts:

Craigy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
I love her personality, she may go onto my fav list soon, I've always loved her game.

:bandwagon: :D

CORIA01
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
Funny

The_Pov
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:29 PM
:awww: Makiri is so cute, beautiful game, beautiful personality and beautiful girl.

Topspin2
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Masha:haha:

Hashim.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
:lol::awww:

RonnieB33
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:08 PM
:wavey: ,please read the match report from our friend from board
and please tell me when did she acted with no respect:help:

ce, do you have the link to this match report you speak of? Thanks!

HTE
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
Yay Maria :bounce:

She should get her own kennel if that would help getting her back to the top ;)

Bijoux0021
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Go Maria! :bounce: