PDA

View Full Version : Acura QF: Sharapova v. Mirza

sfselesfan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Who wins?

Last year's USO champ or the second hottest player on the summer circuit?

SF

Expat
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:18 AM
the way sharapova played today no doubt its her

safii
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:18 AM
i mean mirza is playing great but maria...wow!!

Rod the Bama
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
Maria in 2

Poova
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:19 AM
I think this could be a great match. Shame I won't be able to see it live. :(

I think Mirza will test her, but Sharapova will win in two tight sets.

sfselesfan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
I'm going out on a limb for Sania.

SF

RenaSlam.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
True test for both. Can't wait to watch.

skumars
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
With all the tennis she has played over the last 20 days, I think Sania will run out of steam and I dont think she can put up a good show tomorrow. Having said that, the way she's been surprising me with win after win, who knows she just might push it hard this time. I hope at least she takes a set off her and avoid a beat down like she had last time.

skumars
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm going out on a limb for Sania.

SF

I'm a Sania fan too, but you must be gutsy :) I would just love every bit of it if she happens to win tomorrow.

Wolverines08
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
Last time was the US Open 2005, and it was the only time...For the 1st 4 games, Maria could not believe the pace of shot that was coming at her...Sania's movement was so easily exposed back then and I think that she can win.

akosiirwyn
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM
I think Masha can do it

RJWCapriati
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
Mirza in 3

sfselesfan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
Maria's had problems with good returners this year, and Sania is definitely a good returner. I worry too about Sania wearing out. She's already taken out two seeds this tournament and played finals last week. She looked REALLY solid last week up until the final. This could be a tough match. If I'm ever going to pick Sania for a big upset, it would be tomorrow.

SF

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
there is no chance for sania to win this. maria easily.

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:28 AM
i hope masha in two

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
Last time was the US Open 2005, and it was the only time...For the 1st 4 games, Maria could not believe the pace of shot that was coming at her...Sania's movement was so easily exposed back then and I think that she can win.

who won? maria 6-2 6-1 or sth like that

mirzalover
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
Mirza will go up in the first set 4-1 then lose it 7-5 maybe 7-6 then maria will win the second set 6-3

LudwigDvorak
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
Hasn't Sharapova only lost like seven games so far? Sharapova in two, hopefully with as few games lost as possible.

AnnaK_4ever
I expect the similar scoreline like today vs Golovin. Sharapova always does well against ballbashers, let alone against those who can't serve, let alone on hardcourts.

TTomek
I hope Sania will show her where her place is :armed:

starin
Maria's had problems with good returners this year, and Sania is definitely a good returner. I worry too about Sania wearing out. She's already taken out two seeds this tournament and played finals last week. She looked REALLY solid last week up until the final. This could be a tough match. If I'm ever going to pick Sania for a big upset, it would be tomorrow.

SF

errr she's an okay returner. All the times I've seen her on TV she's only returned okay. Plus her serve is worse than Sharapova's and her movement too. So she'll be under pressure the whole time.

Rachel_
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
Sania is playing so well right now...

Masha in 3

LindsayRulz
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:35 AM
Masha in 3.

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:36 AM
Maria in two tight sets. I think people who say Mirza might be tired are wrong. She had a very easy match today and doesn't have doubles to worry about anymore. I think she will be fine. That being said, there's nothing she can do that Maria can't do better.

mirzalover
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:38 AM
Maria in two tight sets. I think people who say Mirza might be tired are wrong. She had a very easy match today and doesn't have doubles to worry about anymore. I think she will be fine. That being said, there's nothing she can do that Maria can't do better.

Wrong her forehand is better and she sooo can beat maria in who can hit more unforced errors:p

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:39 AM
And Mirza is winning the poll :weirdo:

sooo many delusional voters here...

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:40 AM

agreed

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:40 AM
Mirza wins Bandwagoner of the month by a landslide.

Хлоэ
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:42 AM

hm..ok, she is number 2 in the world, get over it

:lol: im not surprised, ppl in here are too biased ;)

mashamaniac
i say masha with a bagel and 3 in the 2nd!!!

Poova

Yep, people just vote for their fave. Mind you, I did the same yesterday with Makiri-Jankovic but it turns out I was right. :lol:

Wolverines08
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:43 AM
who won? maria 6-2 6-1 or sth like that

Yeah, Maria handled the moment better it was Sania's first time in the Round of 16 of a slam, and it was on Arthur Ashe Stadium, she wasn't ready for the moment.

LudwigDvorak
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:43 AM
I dislike Sharapova and think Mirza is okay, but even I know Sharapova is the HUGE favorite in this match.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:46 AM
Yep, people just vote for their fave. Mind you, I did the same yesterday with Makiri-Jankovic but it turns out I was right. :lol:

But at least Kirilenko stretched Jankovic to three sets lately while Sharapova just wiped the court with Mirza when they played last time.

mirzalover
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:49 AM
But at least Kirilenko stretched Jankovic to three sets lately while Sharapova just wiped the court with Mirza when they played last time.

Yeah but that was almost 2 years ago and both have improved but I still dont think sania will win I just had to say that she is a better player now.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
Of course Sharapova is the favorite. :weirdo: Mashabators cant fathom how Mirza is winning the poll. :lol: Loves it. Sania's been in great form lately and Masha has more haters. Therefore Sania will be close in the poll. Simple as that. It's nothing new on WTAworld.

Anyway, those people saying Sania has "no chance" are much more delusional than those who think Sania will win. That said, I think Maria's gonna win in 2 sets, but I'm sure that at least one of the sets will be very competitive, and I wouldnt be at all surprised if both were, or if Sania were to stretch it to 3. But Maria should win given all the tennis Sania has played lately, and let's face the reality... Maria's the best player Sania will have played this summer hardcourt season.

Anyway, good luck Sania. Make it a fight!

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
That 2005 meeting is so irrelevant at this point. :weirdo:

mashamaniac
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:51 AM

that's the most funniest poll i seen for a while!!!

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
that's the most funniest poll i seen for a while!!!
yeah i knowz1!!11111!!!

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah, Maria handled the moment better it was Sania's first time in the Round of 16 of a slam, and it was on Arthur Ashe Stadium, she wasn't ready for the moment.

It was the first time Maria was standing in the WIMBLEDON FINAL in 2004 with 17 years and she beat Serena Williams 6-1 6-4, so....If Sania cant handle the pressure she'll be never better than top 5 :wavey:

mirzalover
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:57 AM
It was the first time Maria was standing in the WIMBLEDON FINAL in 2004 with 17 years and she beat Serena Williams 6-1 6-4, so....If Sania cant handle the pressure she'll be never better than top 5 :wavey:

:lol: Its funny that you even felt the need to say that, Who thought she would be top 5, her crazyed stalker in hyderbad who gets off to the thought of her

Expat
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:58 AM
It was the first time Maria was standing in the WIMBLEDON FINAL in 2004 with 17 years and she beat Serena Williams 6-1 6-4, so....If Sania cant handle the pressure she'll be never better than top 5 :wavey:i dont think shes even top 20 material but still give mirza some credit she does not have the weapons that maria has but has reached so far i for one was very impressed by her returns today but if shes gonna serve like she did in the doubles today she will be another bagel serving for masha

ASP0315
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:59 AM

You are the biggest retard in this forum without a doubt.

now mirza wiped the court and kicked Safina's ass. I hope you enjoyed that and i once again Sania won that poll and you voted for safina to win and guess what you are tottally delusional to think Safina will win :haha:

ASP0315
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:00 AM
Mirza 6-4 6-1

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:03 AM
i dont think shes even top 20 material but still give mirza some credit she does not have the weapons that maria has but has reached so far i for one was very impressed by her returns today but if shes gonna serve like she did in the doubles today she will be another bagel serving for masha

I've only seen her match against Anna in the final last week. She was totally overstrained, so I dont think she has a chance against maria. but it's nice for her reaching QF of a T1, congrats :kiss:

skumars
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:06 AM

Some players get together their game pretty early in their career. Players like Monica Seles and Martina Hingis belong to this category.
And then there are players who take their own sweet time to put together everything, learn new things and unlearn other things and mature a bit later. Roger Federer belongs to this category.

I believe, Maria is more close to the earlier category than later. I know Sania is no Roger, but if I were to put her in one of those two, she leans towards the later than the earlier. Irrespective of what happens tomorrow, it would be wrong to say if someone could not handle pressure the very first time, she could never do it in the future.

ASP0315
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:08 AM
Some players get together their game pretty early in their career. Players like Monica Seles and Martina Hingis belong to this category.
And then there are players who take their own sweet time to put together everything, learn new things and unlearn other things and mature a bit later. Roger Federer belongs to this category.

I believe, Maria is more close to the earlier category than later. I know Sania is no Roger, but if I were to put her in one of those two, she leans towards the later than the earlier. Irrespective of what happens tomorrow, it would be wrong to say if someone could not handle pressure the very first time, she could never do it in the future.

Don't even bother replying to that trolls.

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:09 AM

You cant learn to handle the pressure. If you couldt handle it in your youth, you wont do it later.
You can improve your groundstrokes, volleys etc, but you cant learn to handle your feelings^^

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:13 AM
You are the biggest retard in this forum without a doubt.

now mirza wiped the court and kicked Safina's ass. I hope you enjoyed that and i once again Sania won that poll and you voted for safina to win and guess what you are tottally delusional to think Safina will win :haha:

I've failed to understand what the post-insulting part means cos my English is not that good.

mirzalover
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
You cant learn to handle the pressure. If you couldt handle it in your youth, you wont do it later.
You can improve your groundstrokes, volleys etc, but you cant learn to handle your feelings^^

Other players have everyone can learn to deal with emotion.

saniamania
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Sania has played very well to reach this far. I just hope she gives a good fight and I would be happy. Problem is, Maria's serve is among the best 3 in the game today, and her returns are also good, while Sania's serve is perhaps the worst among all the Acura quarterfinalists. Therefore, she will always be on the backfoot, both on her serve as well as Masha's.

Given the form Sania is in, and given that Masha is not the best mover around, I am sure Sania can match Masha shot for shot once an even rally gets into motion. However, Masha will manage a lot of service winners as well as service return winners, and would be able to finish some rallys very quickly from the beginning, which I think will be the deciding factor.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
That 2005 meeting is so irrelevant at this point. :weirdo:

Of course it's relevant. Just look at their ranks now and back then. Both of them basically stay where they've been 2 years ago. But Sharapova has been staying on the highest level while Mirza remains a mediocrity.

frenchie
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:18 AM
I give Sania a pretty good chance!

Donny
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:20 AM
Of course it's relevant. Just look at their ranks now and back then. Both of them basically stay where they've been 2 years ago. But Sharapova has been staying on the highest level while Mirza remains a mediocrity.

Actually, Mirza's been improving recently, hasn't she? And Masha's seems to have plateaued...

d_s
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:20 AM
What a great match this will be!
Good luck Sania but I'm gonna have to go with Maria on this one.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:21 AM
No, it's not relevant. And Mirza has been far from mediocre this summer.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:26 AM
Actually, Mirza's been improving recently, hasn't she? And Masha's seems to have plateaued...

Sharapova is world #2 who's reached AO final, RG semifinal and Wimbledon 4r this season. Ok, she has plateaued. She has plateaued on the level Mirza can only dream about.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:27 AM
Sharapova is world #2 who's reached AO final, RG semifinal and Wimbledon 4r this season. Ok, she has plateaued. She has plateaued on the level Mirza can only dream about.
Ok you stat-obsessed tard. Mirza may not have the credentials Maria has and likely never will, but that doesnt mean she isnt playing great tennis and it doesnt mean she cant challenge Maria in this match. Your head is just too far up the Russian's ass for you to see clearly though, so it's no use even discussing with you.

mirzalover
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:29 AM

What does that have to do with the statement he made your just saying stuff cause you cant back up your statements with better facts then what we're saying

ASP0315
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:31 AM
No, it's not relevant. And Mirza has been far from mediocre this summer.

don't even bother replying to that troller.
He will have his excuse book ready in care maria get defeated. :haha:
he will come up with some excuses in case sania beats maria.
nothing new with these idiotic haters. :rolleyes:

Sania got nothing to lose tommorow and so far she has beaten all the players she was expected to lose
and her return is the strongest part of the game.(it won her a lot of matches this summer.)she broke safina 7 times today.(safina beat sharapova twice in the past.She is a former top 10 player) Sharapova is coming back from her injury and she only managed to beat two players who are out of form as well Tammy tanasugarn and tatiana golovin.(who is in slump and got banged by sania in stanford.)
Now she will face inform mirza.
Hopefully sania gives her best shot.

skumars
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:31 AM

Sometimes you get overwhelmed at the occasion and basically not yet ready to deal with (does not happen with everyone, but happens with people nonetheless). The more and more you are exposed to such occasions, the more familiar you get to them, and the less pressure you feel on such occasions. When I presented my first research publication in front of a thoroughly expert crowd of 500s I screwed it up big time, just getting overwhelmed by the maiden occasion. The next time I did, was a better feeling, and these days its quite a routine for me and does not affect me in anyways. I know tennis is not a presentation, and I am no genius at work, but the feelings, theories could shed a light on the theme.

How feelings can change, see Federer 7 years back to now and you can see what I am talking about.

Donny
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:32 AM

She is also titleless this year.

If Sania had managed to win in that final last week, she'd have one title to Maria's none. How well each has been doing thus far wouldn't be so cut and dry.

LudwigDvorak
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Sharapova hasn't plateaued. Minus the title she's having nearly as good a season as her first half was last year. She had only won Indian Wells prior to San Diego last year and hadn't even made a second slam final. Aside from some bad losses she's still as consistent as ever. The only thing I disagree with AnnaK about is that Mirza can't be considered mediocre this summer. She's beaten enough top players that she might push Sharapova hard. And it's tennis, the match isn't a foregone conclusion yet, although I still think the outcome is pretty obvious.

Sassy-Na
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:33 AM
maria in 2.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
Sharapova hasn't plateaued. Minus the title she's having nearly as good a season as her first half was last year. She had only won Indian Wells prior to San Diego last year and hadn't even made a second slam final. Aside from some bad losses she's still as consistent as ever. The only thing I disagree with AnnaK about is that Mirza can't be considered mediocre this summer. She's beaten enough top players that she might push Sharapova hard. And it's tennis, the match isn't a foregone conclusion yet, although I still think the outcome is pretty obvious.
Fair enough. I respect your opinion, because you can discuss it rationally without sounding like a moron. I commend you. It's rare on this board.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
mirza played great but she played great in standford until she ran into a top ten player and she lost easily to chakvetdazte and she will to sharapova. sharapova will win in straights.

Donny
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:41 AM

Let's consider 2006 results

AO semis
FO 4r
Wimbeldon semis
A tier 1 title (Indian Wells)

And 2007

AO final
FO semis
Wimbledon 4r
NO TITLES- none

She's doing worse than last year. I'd take a tier I win over all four slam finals, to be honest.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:41 AM

What???
Who did she beat?
Top players are Henin, Sharapova, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Serena, Venus, Mauresmo. Period.
The only semi-top player Mirza has faced this summer defeated her two straight times.
Golovin, Schnyder and Bammer are not even close to Sharapova's level.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:47 AM
What???
Who did she beat?
Top players are Henin, Sharapova, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Serena, Venus, Mauresmo. Period.
The only semi-top player Mirza has faced this summer defeated her two straight times.
Nevermind mentioning top-20 Peer who she also beat, and top-15 Dinara (who you picked to beat Sania) who she just wiped the floor with (and who plays more similarly to Maria than any of the players you mentioned).

Anyway, you're missing the point of what Ludwig said. To suggest that Maria will kill her and laugh at the fact that some people think Sania can cause the upset is just ignorant on your part. Tennis isnt played on paper. That's why they play the matches.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:50 AM
What???
Who did she beat?

i agree. mirza has improved greatly but i feel the same about the venus/hantuchova match up. neither has defeated someone of the caliber of Henin, Sharapova, Jankovic, Ivanovic, Kuznetsova, Serena, Venus, Mauresmo this year and they wont at this tournament unless maria and venus play awfully and sania and daniela play the matches of their lives. both of these scenarios seem unlikely

LudwigDvorak
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:54 AM
They're in the top 20 for a reason. Considering 20 out of, oh, 4000 players, I think that's pretty top level. I understand when people say only about five or six are the top players, but when you're not top 30, never have, and you just suddenly beat four top 20 players in the span of two or three weeks...that's pretty damn awesome. It builds confidence and that's what Mirza has now. Sharapova would be wise to not completely underestimate Mirza. She HAS beaten top 10 players before, you should know that.

starin
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:55 AM
I forgot to say I hope Mirza wins but she'll have to be zoning with her forehand to win and Sharapova will have to not serve well.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
Nevermind mentioning top-20 Peer who she also beat, and top-15 Dinara (who you picked to beat Sania) who she just wiped the floor with (and who plays more similarly to Maria than any of the players you mentioned).

Anyway, you're missing the point of what Ludwig said. To suggest that Maria will kill her and laugh at the fact that some people think Sania can cause the upset is just ignorant on your part. Tennis isnt played on paper. That's why they play the matches.

You should have told this to Tauziat every time before her match against Graf or to Martinez before her new encounter vs Seles or to Kournikova before she played Venus...
Sometimes the gap between two players is just too huge.

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
She is also titleless this year.

If Sania had managed to win in that final last week, she'd have one title to Maria's none. How well each has been doing thus far wouldn't be so cut and dry.

What are you on about? If Maria had won the AO and Birmingham, then she'd have 2 to Mirza's zero?:confused:

Bringing in hypotheticals doesn't make sense. And a rational person can't even compare Mirza's and Sharapova's results this season.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:59 AM
You should have told this to Tauziat every time before her match against Graf or to Martinez before her new encounter vs Seles or to Kournikova before she played Venus...
Sometimes the gap between two players is just too huge.
:haha: :haha: :haha: You're such an idiot. I can come up with plenty H2H's as well where the 'better' player has been upset sometimes by the 'lesser' player. To go scrounge up random matchups that are lopsided is so, so, soooo stupid I can't even begin to tell you. Oh, and just for kicks I'll point out that Martinez has beaten Seles once, and Kournikova has played Venus close on more than one occasion. But still, I can't even begin to explain the irrelevance of what you just said... and you'll never get it either.

This way too hopeless.

vw.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:00 AM
Upset special. Sania in 3.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:07 AM

It's a lie.
I never entered "Safina vs Mirza" poll/thread. Moreover had I entered the poll I would've voted for Mirza.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:09 AM
It's a lie.
I never entered "Safina vs Mirza" poll/thread. Moreover had I entered the poll I would've voted for Mirza.
Wow, congratulations. :worship:

densuprun
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:11 AM

Yes. Sania will show that her place is well below Maria.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:12 AM
Wow, congratulations. :worship:

Leave them for yourself, liar.

Safina can lose to anyone. Especially on hardcourts.

Donny
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:13 AM
What are you on about? If Maria had won the AO and Birmingham, then she'd have 2 to Mirza's zero?:confused:

Bringing in hypotheticals doesn't make sense. And a rational person can't even compare Mirza's and Sharapova's results this season.

Bringing in hypotheticals doesn't make sense? We're in a predictions thread. What the hell is that if not a hypothetical?

point is, acting like Maria's having a stellar year when she hasn't won anything isn't sensible. That's what I was responding to. If Sania was to wi nthis title (which she might) she'd be having a much better year, in my books.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:15 AM
Leave them for yourself, liar.

Safina can lose to anyone. Especially on hardcourts.
I only said that because someone else had mentioned it before, and you didnt deny it. :shrug:

And Sharapova can be upset as well. She's not invincible. Even on a hardcourt. And especially against a player who's just beaten 4 top-20 players (and 1 top-25) in the last 2 weeks.

:wavey:

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:26 AM
I only said that because someone else had mentioned it before, and you didnt deny it. :shrug:

I wasn't denying it only because it came from one of the :silly: posters whose English was too complicated for me.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
And Sharapova can be upset as well. She's not invincible. Even on a hardcourt. And especially against a player who's just beaten 4 top-20 players (and 1 top-25) in the last 2 weeks.

:wavey:

I see the only player outside Top-20 who could've upset Sharapova on hardcourts. It's Zvonareva and she's not in San Diego.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:34 AM
Ok. You win. Maria is the queen of hardcourts and will kill Sania because Tauziat cant beat Graf and Kournikova cant beat Venus. Sania just has no chance at all.

Got it.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:39 AM
Ok. You win. Maria is the queen of hardcourts and will kill Sania because Tauziat cant beat Graf and Kournikova cant beat Venus. Sania just has no chance at all.

Got it.

No, you didn't. Mirza has no chance simply because she is no match for Sharapova. At least as of now. That's it.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:40 AM
No, you didn't. Mirza has no chance simply because she is no match for Sharapova. At least as of now. That's it.
Ok, now I got it. :lol: :yeah: Thank you.

Shimizu Amon
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:40 AM
Masha in two.

:bounce: GO MASHA!:bounce:

cometz9
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:42 AM
Sharapova in 2, hopefully Sania can win more games than their previous meeting :help:

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:47 AM
Sharapova in 2, hopefully Sania can win more games than their previous meeting :help:
LOL. I hope so too. My score prediction is 6-4 6-3 to Maria. I certainly don't think it will be as lopsided as it was in 2005.

LeRoy.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:50 AM
I voted for Sania but realistically i see Maria winning. I'd be happy if Sania can win a set though. :yeah: I'd be absolutely elated if she won the match if not for anything else just to see some over-confident a**holes in this thread eat some crow. :wavey:

mboyle
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:58 AM
Bringing in hypotheticals doesn't make sense? We're in a predictions thread. What the hell is that if not a hypothetical?

point is, acting like Maria's having a stellar year when she hasn't won anything isn't sensible. That's what I was responding to. If Sania was to wi nthis title (which she might) she'd be having a much better year, in my books.

Maria reached a slam final and another slam semi. No one cares about rinky dink minnie mouse exhibitions in California. The slams matter. Period.

And even if you want to through in these warm up events, Maria would still be ranked higher than Sania for the year.

I like both players, but Maria is currently in a higher league.

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:11 AM
My prediction for the score is Maria 7-5/6-3

Jacey
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
Maria reached a slam final and another slam semi. No one cares about rinky dink minnie mouse exhibitions in California. The slams matter. Period.

And even if you want to through in these warm up events, Maria would still be ranked higher than Sania for the year.

:haha: :haha: rinky dink minnie mouse exhibitions....damn, really funny....wish I'd thought of that :worship:

skumars
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
To me, the 1st serves remain the key for both players to decide the match. I'd guess Maria winning around 70% of her 1st serve points, and 70% of return points to Sania's 2nd serves. So, we get into an even rally only when Sania gets a 1st serve in (apart from a few service/one shot winners) or Maria misses a 1st serve. In order for Sania to have a realistic chance, Maria has to serve at < 50% and Sania close to 70%, then playing the rallies as well as she could, cutting down on her errors, being patient, hanging in on every tough game. Having said that, even if things do not go in favour of Sania, I'd be disappointed if she does not make a match of it and tamely surrenders like the last time she played her.

supergrunt
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:58 AM
Sharapova's is playing really well apparently..

alias
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:00 AM
I can't believe so many people think Sania has a chance:tape:

Martian
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:05 AM
:bounce: Sania... only if she can hold her serve and keep her form. She is on fire... hope not burnt out. :bounce: :cuckoo: :lick:

mandarjj
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:08 AM
I hope sania wins but maria is definatly a better player.

Mightymirza
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:55 AM
Well Sania returns quite well on hardcourts..But I think at the moment, sharpy will still eat away a lot of herserves :sad: but again pova came up with 6 DFs already even when she was winning so easily!So if sania can press the russian, historys proven that sharpy can produce all sorts of errors..:lol: anyways sania had a tough doubles match as well today..:tape: not looking too good ATM for the indian ace..I hope she believes she can do it! Thats the key.Come on sania lets keep that FH andBH clicking :yeah:

Mightymirza
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:03 AM

well which sharapova are we talking about??IS everyone sure that the 2006 USO sharpy is back?? :shrug: few months ago, sharpy was pretty beatable :shrug: anyways most probably you are right but you wouldnt have picked her over golovin to start with!I think..Shes been proving a lot of things wrong..Lets see how it goes..Win or lose it still would be a great run!( :secret: I would have sania play sharpy than Chakvy anyday :lol: I think she plays better with aggressive players than JJs and Chakvysof the tennis :tape: )

bellascarlett
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:16 AM
She's doing worse than last year. I'd take a tier I win over all four slam finals, to be honest.

:lol: Bullshit. Seriously? :tape:

:lol: That poster's bias against Maria is just laughable. And it's not in this thread only. :lol:

Well this goes without saying...

Apoorv
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:55 AM
I voted for sania but she will loose most probably. I dont care, its her 26th match in like 19 days. She will be exhausted. But she will fight for sure and its what I would like to see. If sania can come up with the game she brought against dinara, maria will be pushed really hard.

some maria fans are just mad that sania was winning the pole and resorted to say all bad things about sania.

Hashim.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:26 AM
Sania in 3..i hope...

but i think Maria in 3 :sad:

Alexj
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
Mirza in 3 tough sets!
__________________________________________________ ____________________

[SIZE="4"]~Marion Bartoli~ Anna Chakvetadze~ Ana Ivanovic~ Jelena Jankovic~ Patty Schnyder~ Daniela Hantuchova~ Vera Zvonareva~ Dinara Safina~ Nadia Petrova~ Elena Dementieva~[/SIZE

lilimi
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:48 AM
go sania! i hope i'll be able to watch the match on eurosport.

Kunal
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
before putting in my vote...i thought the poll would be something like....80% for a masha victory....

but its almost 50% split!!

Elwin.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM
Maria

Dexter
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
Sania has to be really on to stand any chance. Maria will probably win in 2 sets, however I'll be rooting 100% for Sania of course. :)

vrp1
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
Hope for Masha :hearts: but Sania :kiss: is in really great shape so it will be very hard.... 6:4 5:7 7:6 :lick: ;) :p :bounce:

CORIA01
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
I Want To Believe That Sania Will Win It

bellascarlett
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:22 PM
some maria fans are just mad that sania was winning the pole and resorted to say all bad things about sania.

omg please. :o :lol: "maria fans" are used to maria losing these polls. lol...i mean, there is absolutely no reason for her fans to resort to saying bad things about sania because of any agenda. dream on.

Tennisaddict
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Maria has the experience. I think she will beat Sania in three sets. If she keeps putting pressure on Sania's backhand and makes her run. If Sania gets the chance to dominate with her forehand especially to Maria's forehand side, things get could interesting.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
sania in 3..I've been cheering for her since 05 AO when she played against Serena....good to see she's now getting to where I saw her going

skanky~skanketta
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
stupid post of the month.

justine was the chocker extraordinaire. so was Serena and Roger. mention the word big stage and they'd start shitting bricks.

look at them now.

look at Mauresmo for crying out loud!
nuff said.

msharafan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
i think it all has to do with how maria plays if she serves well and plays well it could still be close but ultimately i think if this is the case at the moment she has too much for sania. if maria doesnt serve well or play well she could lose well just have to see which maria turns up cause these days you never know but i have a good feeling maria will win this in straight sets.

selyoink
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Sania may be playing great but it won't be nearly enough to defeat Maria.

ASP0315
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Sania has to be really on to stand any chance. Maria will probably win in 2 sets, however I'll be rooting 100% for Sania of course. :)

agreed.

Mightymirza
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
I hope sania follows ivanovics footsteps..:drool: that 1st set in tokyo and RG SF :worship: Ana :bowdown:

Expat
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:31 PM
I hope sania follows ivanovics footsteps..:drool: that 1st set in tokyo and RG SF :worship: Ana :bowdown:
for that to even be considered she needs to get ana's serve reincarnated in her serve

Sagacious
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
My heard says Sania...but :(

Mightymirza
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
for that to even be considered she needs to get ana's serve reincarnated in her serve

I dont think she served that well at tokyo..It was the return and the FH winners that kept sharpy guessing :lol: Moved her around the court :lol: Sania come on lets go!

Just Do It
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Maria 6-4 7-5.

adrovi
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
Masha in 2 sets ;)

Seyz
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
I see the only player outside Top-20 who could've upset Sharapova on hardcourts. It's Zvonareva and she's not in San Diego.

As I was reading the conversation between Anna K and uh.. the Harold Gale poster, I as going along with it, but this comment shows you have no objectivity AT ALL. Zvonareva the only player out of the top 20 who could beat Sharapova! HA! SHe's not even anywhere near the radar. So basically Russians rule the tennis world, is that how you see it?

DA FOREHAND
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
stupid post of the month.

justine was the chocker extraordinaire. so was Serena and Roger. mention the word big stage and they'd start shitting bricks.

look at them now.

look at Mauresmo for crying out loud!
nuff said.

you were doing well until you threw Mauresmo's name in the mix. :tape: She's still a head case.:mad:

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
As I was reading the conversation between Anna K and uh.. the Harold Gale poster, I as going along with it, but this comment shows you have no objectivity AT ALL. Zvonareva the only player out of the top 20 who could beat Sharapova! HA! SHe's not even anywhere near the radar. So basically Russians rule the tennis world, is that how you see it?

:weirdo:

Players who defeated Sharapova on hardcourts since 2004:
Myskina x3
Zvonareva x3
Serena x4
Washington
Pierce
Kuznetsova x2
Molik
Mauresmo x2
Davenport
Clijsters x2
Petrova
Henin x3

12 fifferent players total.

Last time I checked Serena, Kuznetsova, Mauresmo, Petrova, Henin all were Top-20.
Myskina, Clijsters retired.
Pierce, Davenport don't compete on the Tour this season.
Zvonareva is injured.
Molik is nowhere near her 2004-2005 form. Washington can't be found anywhere.

But when did I say Russians rule the tennis world? :scratch:
When and where?

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Me:
I expect the similar scoreline like today vs Golovin.
Sharapova just wiped the court with Mirza when they played last time.

Not me:
That 2005 meeting is so irrelevant at this point.

Me:

2005 result: 6-2 6-1
2007 result: 6-2 6-1

:haha:

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:12 PM
all 67, ok lets say 60 of them made themselves ridiculous. lol. :rolleyes:

Expat
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
and the pigs have flown away

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Me:

Not me:

Me:

2005 result: 6-2 6-1
2007 result: 6-2 6-1

:haha:

ouch :lol:

serenafan08
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Maria will win in two...6-4, 6-4.

Poova
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
LMAO at the person who said the 2005 result was irrelevant. :spit:

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
:haha: And the tards come out in full force!!! The 2005 meeting was irrelevant in this match. Sania was more confident now and in better form, and Sharapova isn't exactly in the same place confidence-wise as she was during that US Open. Practically 2 years passed, players change, situations change. Just because the scoreline was the same, that doesnt mean anything. All it means is TODAY Maria played great and a tired Sania was off her game and out of gas. Last time they played, the scoreline had a lot more to do with Maria being in slam-winning form and Sania being an inexperienced player in her first GS 4R.

In no way was anything AnnaK4ever said in this thread true, except his/her prediction that Sharapova would win the match comfortably (which I predicted anyway, only to a lesser extent). And I really don't think we need to be bowing down to someone who picked a top-10 player to beat a player who just entered the top-30 in a routine match. It doesnt take a genius to make such a "bold" prediction. :weirdo:

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM
what? Mirza was tired? And she wasnt tired in her match against Safina? nobody said anything about fatigue in her last match!
Live with the fact that Maria was just too good for Miss Sania Mirza who is playing the tennis of her life :)

treufreund
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:49 PM
hmmm mirza won 4 games against Chaky last week and 3 games now against Sharapova. And yet 44% voted for her!!! talk about hype!!!

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
what? Mirza was tired? And she wasnt tired in her match against Safina? nobody said anything about fatigue in her last match!
Live with the fact that Maria was just too good for Miss Sania Mirza who is playing the tennis of her life :)
Sania hasn't been playing on a full tank for a few matches now. She's not a machine, her body needs rest. The fact that she beat everyone she did to this point is a testament to how well she's played this summer and how she's a fighter. Not that she's full of energy. She's probably even more drained mentally than physically, though.

And I have lived with the fact that Maria was too good. In fact, I congratulated Maria in the results thread and I'm not surprised by the result in any way. I like Maria and always have. :) Not surprisingly though, my post actually showed some class, unlike AnnaK4Ever and the rest of you ignorant Mashabator tards.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:52 PM
hmmm mirza won 4 games against Chaky last week and 3 games now against Sharapova. And yet 44% voted for her!!! talk about hype!!!
1) Sharapova is on a different level than Chakvetadze
2) She won 5 games against Anna last week, not 4. And when they played the week before that in Cincy, Sania stretched it to 3 sets. So it's not like she's completely inept.
3) WTAworld "who will win" polls are useless, and have nothing to do with hype. People will vote for the player they like better, or against the player they don't like. Simple as that. It's nothing new.

sfselesfan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Like I said at the time I voted for Mirza...I was going out on a limb. It was her best shot at a big upset.

SF

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
:haha: And the tards come out in full force!!! The 2005 meeting was irrelevant in this match. Sania was more confident now and in better form, and Sharapova isn't exactly in the same place confidence-wise as she was during that US Open. Practically 2 years passed, players change, situations change. Just because the scoreline was the same, that doesnt mean anything. All it means is TODAY Maria played great and a tired Sania was off her game and out of gas. Last time they played, the scoreline had a lot more to do with Maria being in slam-winning form and Sania being an inexperienced player in her first GS 4R.

In no way was anything AnnaK4ever said in this thread true, except his/her prediction that Sharapova would win the match comfortably (which I predicted anyway, only to a lesser extent). And I really don't think we need to be bowing down to someone who picked a top-10 player to beat a player who just entered the top-30 in a routine match. It doesnt take a genius to make such a "bold" prediction. :weirdo:

So true. It takes only a common sense to realize that Mirza can't touch Sharapova because despite all her "improvement" she doesn't have a single weapon just to trouble Maria.
She has no serve and she won't gain it.
She is a poor athlete and it won't change.
She is a mindless ballbasher and it won't change as well.
She has nothing to trouble Sharapova. NOTHING. She can't even defend/retrieve in order to annoy Maria.
That's why I picked Sharapova in two easy sets. Common sense and nothing more.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
So true. It takes only a common sense to realize that Mirza can't touch Sharapova because despite all her "improvement" she doesn't have a single weapon just to trouble Maria.
She has no serve and she won't gain it.
She is a poor athlete and it won't change.
She is a mindless ballbasher and it won't change as well.
She has nothing to trouble Sharapova. NOTHING. She can't even defend/retrieve in order to annoy Maria.
That's why I picked Sharapova in two easy sets. Common sense and nothing more.
I love how Rezai has every weakness you just mentioned for Mirza, and yet she whooped Maria's little ass in Istanbul. :)

Tennis isnt played on paper, no matter how much you try to convince yourself it is. You're a hater, you're full of yourself, and you have you head up every Russian's ass. You're annoying and nobody likes you except your fellow tards.

Enjoy Maria's victory now. :)

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:02 PM
there are some people who are still voting :lol:

safii
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:08 PM
in my opinion maria lost to rezai to rest for roland garros, there was a forehand at the end that she seemed to throw away in purpose..

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
I love how Rezai has every weakness you just mentioned for Mirza, and yet she whooped Maria's little ass in Istanbul. :)

Tennis isnt played on paper, no matter how much you try to convince yourself it is. You're a hater, you're full of yourself, and you have you head up every Russian's ass. You're annoying and nobody likes you except your fellow tards.

Enjoy Maria's victory now. :)

Rezai *hapenned* to Masha on clay. At meaningless tournie. Two weeks later Sharapova played RG semifinal while Rezai... :scratch:
Unfortunately Mirza sucks on clay.

And you are still a liar, you're two-faced.

When I wrote yesterday:
Who did she beat?
it was hateful and irrelevant.

When you write today:
Sania
Disappointing scoreline, but not totally unexpected I suppose. She hasnt faced someone with the power of Sharapova the entire hardcourt season, so there was always a chance she'd be overwhelmed.
it's a wise opinion :yeah:

bellascarlett
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:12 PM
All it means is TODAY Maria played great and a tired Sania was off her game and out of gas.

Okay so 1) tired, 2) off her game, 3) out of gas...maybe you wanna add in something else? how many excuses do you need before you get to the most obvious one that doesn't even need to be said. :lol: But it seems you don't get it...otherwise you wouldn't have emphasized that Maria played great TODAY...uhhh TODAY???!! Did Maria just play Justine? Or Serena perhaps? Oh my god...:lol:

Last time they played, the scoreline had a lot more to do with Maria being in slam-winning form and Sania being an inexperienced player in her first GS 4R.
slam-winning form? :tape: this was 05 ryt? Anyway, Maria has always been a contender - even this year...this year has been pretty much an uneventful year for Maria and yet she still was a slam contender, a finalist in one and a semifinalist in the other. Maybe I'll just spell it out -- in other words...............

Blah, I don't even know why I've joined in this pointless discussion. :tape: I mean, there's just no comparison.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Rezai *hapenned* to Masha on clay. At meaningless tournie. Two weeks later Sharapova played RG semifinal while Rezai... :scratch:
Uhhhh, more streams of bullshit emerge from you. The tourney it happened at and their French Open results are of no importance in what we're discussing. A slow, mindless ballbasher who cant defend for her life and who has no serve, defeated your precious Sharapova in a match. I don't care what surface it's on, if Maria is such a staple to beat those kinds of playes, she should have won easily. She didn't. Again... matches arent played on paper. :)

And you are still a liar, you're two-faced.

When I wrote yesterday:

it was hateful and irrelevant.
THAT POST wasnt hateful and irrelevant. YOU are hateful and irrelevant. :) When I replied to that post I attacked the fact that you missed Ludwig's point, and pointed out the fact that you left out 2 other top-20 wins that she hadf this week, including the top-15 smackdown the laid on Safina. That's it. :shrug:

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Uhhhh, more streams of bullshit emerge from you. The tourney it happened at and their French Open results are of no importance in what we're discussing. A slow, mindless ballbasher who cant defend for her life and who has no serve, defeated your precious Sharapova in a match. I don't care what surface it's on, if Maria is such a staple to beat those kinds of playes, she should have won easily. She didn't. Again... matches arent played on paper. :)

ON HARDCOURTS - YES.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Okay so 1) tired, 2) off her game, 3) out of gas...maybe you wanna add in something else? how many excuses do you need before you get to the most obvious one that doesn't even need to be said. :lol: But it seems you don't get it...otherwise you wouldn't have emphasized that Maria played great TODAY...uhhh TODAY???!! Did Maria just play Justine? Or Serena perhaps? Oh my god...:lol:
Um, never did I say that Sania was better than Maria in any way, or that Maria wasnt way more accomplished. That goes without saying. That has nothing to do with this argument. The argument was about how AnnaK4Ever doesnt even let matches get played out before he/she declares a winner, and shows absolutely no respect to any player that isnt Russian or a player who style he/she doesnt approve of.

Please dont make me lose my respect for you, I actually like most of your posts. :tape:

slam-winning form? :tape: this was 05 ryt? Anyway, Maria has always been a contender - even this year...this year has been pretty much an uneventful year for Maria and yet she still was a slam contender, a finalist in one and a semifinalist in the other. Maybe I'll just spell it out -- in other words...............
My bad LOL, I was thinking of 06. But still, the circumstances were still different, particularly in Mirza's case. She's not the same now as she was when she started out in 2005.

selesbooz
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Masha kick her ass. Some of yall are just plain stupid.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:22 PM
ON HARDCOURTS - YES.
Oh give it up. :haha: Like I said, if Maria plays such a player, who according to you, has NOTHING!!!! at all to hurt Sharapova, the surface should not matter. Sharapova should have won easily. She didnt. Matches are played out for a reason. End.

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
This thread has gotten entirely out of hand and in all my wisdom I will try not go Rasputia on you hoes. :angel:

First off, it appears Maria is really playing with something to prove. She overwhelmed Mirza and was obviously the better player and is the better player. Now that is not to say that Sania can't be a force. She HAD to be exhausted. It is not some breezy weather out there in the California summer and after playing three weeks in a row in this weather, it's IMPOSSIBLE to think that Sania wasn't tired. Sure she romped Safina, but people should have enough sense that the few days rest she got between San Diego and Stanfor probably gave her enough energy to get through a few matches. But her body is bound to get even more drained as the week progresses. I think Mirza would have given Maria a much better fight had she been 100% but you can't dwell in the "what-if's".

The bottom line is...Maria was/is better, but Sania deserves recognition that Maria tards aren't giving. And anyone that takes a wtaworld who will win poll seriously is the most retarded person on the face of the planet. :o :spit:

And lastly I love how Sharapova actually crushed Sania like AnnaK4Ever said she would, and yet WTD is still owning her in the debate at hand. :rolls: :o

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Hope to watch me some big hitting tonight.

Too bad Sania... she had some support though, as proved by the poll.

WTG Masha, keep it up!

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
And lastly I love how Sharapova actually crushed Sania like AnnaK4Ever said she would, and yet WTD is still owning her in the debate at hand. :rolls: :o

Her? :scratch:

Whatever...