PDA

View Full Version : Could someone rationally explain why all the bashing for Anna?

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Has she or her fans ever said that she the next best thing? That she is currently best player around? That she has the most beautiful game? That she has the best second serve? That she is the most beautiful girl on the tour? (okok I did say that, but it's my taste. bash me not her). That she will be #1? Have I missed it?

The girl played smaller tournaments and won 2 in a row. GS winners didn't want to play them. How does it make her fault????

Could someone explain rationally what she did to have all the negativity?

ico4498
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
win a lot yah get bashed ...

not justifying the practice but thats the dynamic.

Shepster
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:02 PM
From what I can gather from the critics they are a/ fans of people below her who are jealous she's outplaying their faves or b/ fans of the best players who find her ranking inflated because she's not yet done it on the Grand Slam level and only equate winning slams with success/being a good player. Never understood why someone else doing well threatens people so, it's only good for the game.

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
From what I can gather from the critics they are a/ fans of people below her who are jealous she's outplaying their faves or b/ fans of the best players who find her ranking inflated because she's not yet done it on the Grand Slam level and only equate winning slams with success/being a good player. Never understood why someone else doing well threatens people so, it's only good for the game.

That's what I'm thinking it. But it's not like she plays every tournament in the schedule. And what is she supposed to do: decline the points for winning the tournaments?

(PS. My questions are rethorical :wavey:)

Expat
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
i havent bashed her but i think the reason is that she won two tournaments having weak fields
but having said that her game doesnt impress me but shes got heart and knows how to think and act acc to the situation

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
i havent bashed her but i think the reason is that she won two tournaments having weak fields
but having said that her game doesnt impress me but shes got heart and knows how to think and act acc to the situation

how is this her problem? she should be praised for following up with her committments and playing the tournaments she entered not bashed...

sammy01
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
im in total agreement with shepster! i lova anna how good can she be i dont know can she win a slam i hope so! but what i do know for fact is shes number 6 in the world and deserves it, she has improved out of sight in the last 12 months, shes adding to her game and she works unbelievebly hard and is getting the rewards she deserves for that! if you think annas winning tournaments that have weak fields blame the girls that dont show up and dont work there asses off to be the best they can like anna does! i hope anna continues her rise through tennis and proves any doubters wrong!

Dexter
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
I just never liked her and can't warm to her even though she's a nice girl.

goldenlox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
I don't see it as bashing. She hasn't reached a slam SF yet. And a lot of people don't think she has the game to win majors.

ViennaCalling
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
6 threads per day about her are simply too much. Sorry!

pierce0415
lately she has been on TV alot (Fed Cup, Stanford)

so I have had a chance to see her play and there is nothing about her that impresses me that much ... she can beat headcases in the Top 10 but she folds like a cheap tent against slam champs

she always gets weak draws (beat Schnyder, Safarova to reach GS QF) and wins weak tournaments so she is extremely overated

plus her voice is annoying

so basically that put her on my blacklist

Expat
how is this her problem? she should be praised for following up with her committments and playing the tournaments she entered not bashed...i am not saying the bashing is justified i am just trying to analyze IMHO she has played well as per her talent pool so that justifies her being no 6 the others are not playing that much like venus or serena but that doesnt take anything away from anna
its more a product of the fact that we don't have bonus points anymore
if we did it wouldn't be that bad a situation in the rankings
venus and serena and some of the injury ridden other players and all their supporters would be very happy if we go back to bonus points

can we have a ranking based on the bonus points system
if she is no 6 there she has silenced everybody

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
From what I remember it all began with "Will Chakvetadze sneak her way to US Open title?" thread. Then we discovered she's never beaten GS champion since she defeated post-Olympics Myskina who was in free downfall back then.
And afterwards some found it ridiculous when player with 1-20 record vs GS champions was moving up to No.6 in the world.

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:15 PM
I don't see it as bashing. She hasn't reached a slam SF yet. And a lot of people don't think she has the game to win majors.

one thread is fine, 5 other with her "bad" stats is mob lynching... as if she is the only one around with some kind of bad stat

Expat
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
can someone tell what her ranking would be if bonus points are included
that would be a much fairer assessment of rankings

Shepster
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
I take that on board, but more as an afterthought, I don't think that's the source of it. I don't think people look at it and think that, it's more "She's won tournaments?" *bias kicks in* and then it's find a reason to knock her. Before Stanford it was "never won a Tier II", arguably her Tier III 's-Hertogenbosch win was "better" than Stanford (Jankovic & Ivanovic in the field) but even then it would still be "oooh, no Williams/Henin, she's still not done it". Now it's Grand Slam results and they will come in time, the girl is, what, 20? It seems a desperation to prove she's not great/legitimately an excellent player and that stems from the threat people feel because she's winning.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
can someone tell what her ranking would be if bonus points are included
that would be a much fairer assessment of rankings

Chakvetadze's Top-20 wins over the last 52 weeks:

Petrova (5), Ivanovic (20) - San Diego-2006
Petrova (6) - Montreal-2006
Jankovic (16) - Guangzhou-2006
Safina (10), Schiavone (12), Dementieva (7), Petrova (5) - Moscow-2006
Schnyder (9) - Australian Open-2007
Petrova (7) - Antwerp-2007
Golovin (19), Li (17) - Miami-2007
Hantuchova (10), Jankovic (3) - Rosmalen-2007
Hantuchova (12) - Stanford-2007

So bonus points hardly would've made any difference as she scored enough Top-20 wins. The problem is that none of her beaten opponents was a Slam contender.

sfselesfan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:30 PM
I like her. What I find a little annoying (but nevertheless have stayed out of it) are all of the claims that she is somehow the second coming...

...just let her play and reasonably praise her. Get a little carried away and people are going to try to smack you back to reality.

SF

frenchie
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM
The reason is because she has a different game IMO.
People who like $harapova or Vaidisova's game can't see the beauty of Anna's game!

Another reason is that she's becoming huge and they all fear for their faves which is a good sign

supergrunt
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Because she has tasted success.Whenever someone is successful they are critisized.It is only normal :shrug: .

InTheGloaming
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
Because she has tasted success.Whenever someone is successful they are critisized.It is only normal :shrug: .

Precisely.

Is she really bashed anymore than the Williams, Sharapova, Henin (guilty of that one myself), etc.? Look at what was dished out to Clijsters when she was even just retiring, not even winning!

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:13 PM
Precisely.

Is she really bashed anymore than the Williams, Sharapova, Henin (guilty of that one myself), etc.? Look at what was dished out to Clijsters when she was even just retiring, not even winning!

yeah, with all the players above (maybe with exception of Kim) you can trace to some kind incident in the past. not so with Anna.

Slumpsova
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
i don't see anyone bashing her but pierce0415 :shrug:

Expat
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
yeah, with all the players above (maybe with exception of Kim) you can trace to some kind incident in the past. not so with Anna.
i dont think theres no reason
plenty of ppl dont think she deserves a no 6 ranking
having said that it goes for sharapova (on current form ) and jankovic also

LCS
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM
The haters are to blame. Anna is one of the most low-profile players around and she has never said anything remotely offending abotu anyone...so jealousy...

Expat
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
The haters are to blame. Anna is one of the most low-profile players around and she has never said anything remotely offending abotu anyone...so jealousy...
she is low profile true but ppl find reasons to hate anybody
for example henin may be no 1 in the world but i don't like her at all
because i feel that the williams sisters are superior to her and that hand incident
same goes for anna haters

Infiniti2001
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:23 PM
Apart from pierce0415's thread which was meant to get knikers in a twist http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7109/funnygo1.gif --- I don't see the bashing :shrug:

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
jealousy, simple as that
they only wish their fav was as successful.

LCS
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
she is low profile true but ppl find reasons to hate anybody
for example henin may be no 1 in the world but i don't like her at all
because i feel that the williams sisters are superior to her and that hand incident
same goes for anna haters

But there you have the difference. Henin often uses bad sportsmanship, while Anna can't be said to have done that...at least I have never heard of anything...so...

ampers&
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:26 PM
I haven't seen people bashing her. I've seen people annoyed with the hype surrounding a player who has tasted success in tournaments against depleted fields. Sure, she has titles, but a lot of people feel that doesn't make her the next Justine Henin or a threat to win the US Open. I agree with them. :shrug: At the moment, she is being glorified on the forums for results that are, in my opinion, lackluster. Nobody is blaming Chakvetadze for that. Good on her for taking advantage of weak fields, but not everyone feels the hype is warranted.

hablo
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
Rational explanation : she's now a top player? :shrug:

starin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
cuz once during their fed cup match Venus smiled at Chakvetadze and she didn't smile back. what a b!tch. :rolleyes:

supergrunt
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM

People might notlike her crying and such :shrug: .

Russianboy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
people get scared she'll be better than their fav ;)
They are scary and dont know what to do! and the only thing they can do is bashing...
just laugh about their posts :lol: :D

woosey
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Has she or her fans ever said that she the next best thing? That she is currently best player around? That she has the most beautiful game? That she has the best second serve? That she is the most beautiful girl on the tour? (okok I did say that, but it's my taste. bash me not her). That she will be #1? Have I missed it?

The girl played smaller tournaments and won 2 in a row. GS winners didn't want to play them. How does it make her fault????

she knows dam well that those tournaments won't attract the big girls.

anyway, how can a rational person explain anything to an irrational person? they'll never get it.

sfselesfan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
I think the biggest problem is...

1. Her dad.

and

2. When people try to overrate her accomplishments (which have been formidable).

I think it's better to just let her play, praise her when she does well, and praise her opponents. Don't try to paint her as the next phenom...until she demonstrates it.

SF

ViennaCalling
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:37 PM
I haven't seen people bashing her. I've seen people annoyed with the hype surrounding a player who has tasted success in tournaments against depleted fields. Sure, she has titles, but a lot of people feel that doesn't make her the next Justine Henin or a threat to win the US Open. I agree with them. :shrug: At the moment, she is being glorified on the forums for results that are, in my opinion, lackluster. Nobody is blaming Chakvetadze for that. Good on her for taking advantage of weak fields, but not everyone feels the hype is warranted.

Seconded :yeah:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM

i personally think she has done very well-i didnt think there was any way she would be top 10 so soon BUT bar moscow her title runs havent been that impressive.
she is IMO the weakest top 10 player by quite a way-her game is the only reason why im negative towards her. yes shes a smart player-hence wins over big, inconsistent hitters like hantuchova and mirza-but the serve and the power is just not there. she doesnt have a go to shot and she doesnt have the work rate or positivity of a sugiyama.
im not a hater i just think she is overhyped :shrug:

frenchie
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:36 PM
I think the biggest problem is...

1. Her dad.

and

2. When people try to overrate her accomplishments (which have been formidable).

I think it's better to just let her play, praise her when she does well, and praise her opponents. Don't try to paint her as the next phenom...until she demonstrates it.

SF

What's the probleme with her Dad:confused: :confused:

NeeemZ
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Miching~Mallecho
I haven't seen people bashing her. I've seen people annoyed with the hype surrounding a player who has tasted success in tournaments against depleted fields. Sure, she has titles, but a lot of people feel that doesn't make her the next Justine Henin or a threat to win the US Open. I agree with them. At the moment, she is being glorified on the forums for results that are, in my opinion, lackluster. Nobody is blaming Chakvetadze for that. Good on her for taking advantage of weak fields, but not everyone feels the hype is warranted.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

sfselesfan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
What's the probleme with her Dad:confused: :confused:

He's got a bit of a reputation of being an a$$. Last year, when she hurt her wrist and had to retire in a warmup for the USO he kept telling her to keep playing...even when she was in tears. When she finally retired, he stormed off the court. Also, she kept having to tell him not to come down during on-court coaching, and the commentators said it was because he was stressing her out. I presume that's why she no longer designates him as her coach for on court coaching.

SF

frenchie
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:48 PM
He's got a bit of a reputation of being an a$$. Last year, when she hurt her wrist and had to retire in a warmup for the USO he kept telling her to keep playing...even when she was in tears. When she finally retired, he stormed off the court. Also, she kept having to tell him not to come down during on-court coaching, and the commentators said it was because he was stressing her out. I presume that's why she no longer designates him as her coach for on court coaching.

SF

OK I thought Djambuli looked cool:rolleyes:

Dexter
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM

SFSame story in Warsaw he looked pissed when Anna was about to retire vs Janković and stormed off the court like mad.

sfselesfan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:56 PM
Is he still coming to her matches?

SF

Morrissey
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
Which Ana are people talking about Ana Ivanovic or Anna Kournikova? Because Ivanovic's spelled differently then Kournikova's?

sfselesfan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Which Ana are people talking about Ana Ivanovic or Anna Kournikova? Because Ivanovic's spelled differently then Kournikova's?

There is no more Anna Kournikova. Anna Chakvetadze.

:lol:

SF

Expat
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Which Ana are people talking about Ana Ivanovic or Anna Kournikova? Because Ivanovic's spelled differently then Kournikova's?chakvetadze lol

PLP
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
She has been one of the most consistently in-form players this season, so I am sure some posters are feeling threatened. Her game is different, she has a unique personality, and she is pretty out-spoken so the bashing isn't really a surprise, in fact, it kind of proves how well she has been playing...

What I don't understand is when people say that there is nothing special about her game??! Her game is so interesting, effective, and can be very beautiful, I love watching Anna when she is playing well! :angel:

Morrissey
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Ooops!!! Oh your talking about the other Russian Anaa chakvetadze yes she's consistent I canno deny that. However, I just don't see anything special about her game. But I think she can trip up the top players if they have an off day or something. I saw Anna play Henin in Miami and Henin just overpowered her. But she's definitely a solid talent that's for sure.

AcesHigh
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
What I don't understand is when people say that there is nothing special about her game??! Her game is so interesting, effective, and can be very beautiful, I love watching Anna when she is playing well! :angel:

Well.. i like her game b/c it's different than a lot of the current players, but I understand how people can say there's nothing special about it.

HEr serve is subpar at the moment, her net game, return game.. eh. Her groundstrokes are precise but nothing new or different from what we've seen b4.

She's a good(not great), consistent player. People should enjoy her tennis rather than spending time railing against her though.

Poova
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
She's getting everyone's attention by winning a lot and picking up some haters because they see her more on TV etc. It happens.

Geisha
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:09 PM
Better to be bashed than not talked about at all.

Popular people won't be liked by everyone.

PLP
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
Well.. i like her game b/c it's different than a lot of the current players, but I understand how people can say there's nothing special about it.

HEr serve is subpar at the moment, her net game, return game.. eh. Her groundstrokes are precise but nothing new or different from what we've seen b4.

She's a good(not great), consistent player. People should enjoy her tennis rather than spending time railing against her though.

I agree with you about her serve and net game, but the way she sees and uses the court during points makes up for her lack of power off the ground, her angles are wicked when she is playing her best.

Vamos.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Are you seriously asking people to "rationally explain" on GM?:tape:...good luck with that:yeah:

My input:

-probably because some people believe her ranking is "inflated".
-people don't believe the hype and therefore feel the need to criticise her at every opportunity. (as of now they have a lot of opportunities as she is winning a lot.)
-she seems a bit robotic to me. She just doesn't interest me personally, I don't know anything about her because she has little or no charisma as a player or a person on court. Her game is hardly special either, she lacks flair.

The only one I stand by is the third point. The first two are just speculative.

.david.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
The reason is because she has a different game IMO.
People who like $harapova or Vaidisova's game can't see the beauty of Anna's game!

Another reason is that she's becoming huge and they all fear for their faves which is a good sign

Not true. I like them all.

frenchie
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Not true. I like them all.

well I guess you're the exception;)

LudwigDvorak
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
When Chakvetadze is at her absolute best (thus far that I've seen) her shots can be very interesting to watch.

That said, she bageled the woman I love in the Moscow SF and I've been out for blood since.

That is all.

Alicia Rocks
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Don't like her attitude - prime example v Krajicek @ Wimby :tape:

.david.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
well I guess you're the exception;)

Ok. I like that:)

NeeemZ
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
Don't like her attitude - prime example v Krajicek @ Wimby :tape:

Care to explain? I didn't see the match.