PDA

View Full Version : When is Maria's shoulder "injury" going to resurface?

grudpill
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Right now, she's comfortably thrashed her first opponent. The pattern with the shoulder "injury" seems to be that she gives comfortable beatdowns to lesser opponents in the early rounds, then when she faces an elite player who gives her a smackdown, the shoulder gets the blame.

So when is the shoulder "injury" going to become a factor. Quarters? Semis?

switz
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
never. she has changed her surface motion so she will never lose another match :lol:

frontier
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
Its will conveniently come back when someone gives her a hiding.:tape: :lol:

goldenlox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM
When Russia plays in the Fed Cup final

Craigy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
:yawn:

Princeza
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM

Exactly
Bunch of retards

Thanx4nothin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
When she loses.

Russianboy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Exactly
Bunch of retards

absolutely! idiots. lol

Maria Croft
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
:o :rolleyes:

Poova
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Seconded. :zzz:

mankind
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
Exactly
Bunch of retards

absolutely! idiots. lol

That's mean. :(

There's nothing wrong with faking an injury in tennis.

Donny
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Before I answer: Is she serving any better than she was in the early rounds of the FO or Wimbledon?

Dan23
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
its simple...READ WHAT SHE SAYS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR!

"My shoulder doesn't hurt - but I'm not at 100 percent either, But I've been talking about it for so long that I feel I'm repeating myself.

"I just want to go out and play tennis," she said. "It's not getting worse and I know it will eventually get better."

goldenlox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Bunch of retards

mankind
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
"My shoulder doesn't hurt - but I'm not at 100 percent either"

Nice, Maria - covering all bases, so she's fine physically butatthesametime not (just in case some face-saving is needed)

You know, I would stop, but you just keep providing me with new material.

tennnisfannn
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:36 PM
if anyone plays tennis you would realise that you can still play through injuries and if the the competition is not as good, one can win matches. Maria can play against most players but against a tougher opponent, she needs to be as close as possible to 100%. Most top players can and do that anyway. Against a lesser opponent , serena would have made the semis at wimby, didn't she beat daniela injured. I expect maria to make the qfs or semis this week, injured or not.

Dan23
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Nice, Maria - covering all bases, so she's fine physically butatthesametime not (just in case some face-saving is needed)

You know, I would stop, but you just keep providing me with new material.
Not hurting doesnt mean its at full strength or fully mobile :shrug:
Theres no point argueing anymore about this....what does she have to gain from pretending? She NEVER uses it as an excuse. Show us where she does if you can find it otherwise your trash talk has no merit.

Shimizu Amon
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM
Theres no point argueing anymore about this....what does she have to gain from pretending? She NEVER uses it as an excuse. Show us where she does if you can find it otherwise your trash talk has no merit.

You give it to them Dan :wavey:

mankind
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:42 PM

:shrug: I'm not trash talking. What does she have to gain from pretending? Um, her pride? But that's beside the point - I really do think she has been injured at some point in this season, but she may have stretched it out/taken precautions/exaggerated at some points because let's face it, what else can you say to the media? No one is going to be completely candid, and I have more of a bone to pick with S.W about injuries than this girl.

jacobruiz
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM

:yeah:

Donny
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM

Her fans do though- just like they've been doing on this board since she said she was injured.

If tennis commentators, sports journalists, and fans all use her injury as a reason for a loss, it doesn't really matter if she does or not.

Effy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Her fans do though- just like they've been doing on this board since she said she was injured.

If tennis commentators, sports journalists, and fans all use her injury as a reason for a loss, it doesn't really matter if she does or not.

the same goes with most of Serena fans, if anything its an injury.

Petersmiler
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:02 PM

What?

Does that mean we can hold Serena, Justine and Venus etc accountable for all the ridiculous things that are said by their fans on here?

Donny
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
the same goes with most of Serena fans, if anything its an injury.

Serena's missed 8 GSs in nine years due to injury. You know, actually not playing tournaments. So, that leads me to two possible conclusions:

1.) Serena's missed eight grand slams, all of which she could have possibly won, because she didn't feel like playing or....

2.) She's extremely injury prone.

Donny
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
What?

Does that mean we can hold Serena, Justine and Venus etc accountable for all the ridiculous things that are said by their fans on here?

I wasn't blaming her for what her fans say. I'm simply saying that whether or not she blames her injury is irrelevant. The people who'd she'd want to convince she WAS losing because of injury- fans, journalists, commentators, maybe even other players- already believe it.

Petersmiler
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
I wasn't blaming her for what her fans say- I'm simply saying that her desired result- people blaming her losses on injury- is accomplished, whether or not she does it herself.

What makes you think it's her desired result? Or are you simply making an assumption here?

Donny
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM
What makes you think it's her desired result? Or are you simply making an assumption here?

I edited my response, because I knew that was what you were gonna say. I was speaking hypothetically.

Petersmiler
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:22 PM
I edited my response, because I knew that was what you were gonna say. I was speaking hypothetically.

Ok, I get your point. If she wanted people to believe that her shoulder caused her defeat, then she would achieve that by getting her fans to say it, over and over.

I'm not sure I agree, but I understand.

Kenny
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
When she plays Venus in this tournament...

RenaSlam.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
When she loses in the SF to Venus.

mykarma
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
When she loses in the SF to Venus.
Careful now, it's no guarantee that Maria is going to lose to Venus? It's not as though she's never beat Vee before and you know Vee's game can go to hell sometimes.

lindsayno1
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
when lindsay returns and double bagels her again!

partbrit
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:34 PM
Maria has never been a whiner, nor has she ever demonstrated any kind of duplicity with regard to tennis. The presumption that she is doing so now smacks of projection--or total unfamiliarity with her history.

Craigy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
I think you have a shoulder fetish! :hehehe:

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Careful now, it's no guarantee that Maria is going to lose to Venus? It's not as though she's never beat Vee before and you know Vee's game can go to hell sometimes.

TY :worship:

ASP0315
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
when lindsay returns and double bagels her again!

:yeah: :devil:

ASP0315
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:46 PM

Right
Maria is 3-0 against her on hard courts. She beat venus in miami this year but her sister took revenge by threasing her the QF. :lol:

I would still give venus 70:30 chance to win against maria in case she plays her.(considering the fact sharapova isn't in good form.)

pierce0415
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
after she is nominated for the Fed Cup final

Foxy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Just what is the injury to the shoulder. We never hear what it is. Is it a rotator cuff problem or what?

Is it 100% when she plays lesser players, then 50% when she plays a Williams.

But like Carillo stated, Maria gets aces and winners against lesser players but not against Venus because of her wing span and her speed.

sfselesfan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
This whole thread is funny. Both sides. Did anyone say "when she's expected to play Fed Cup next."

Regardless, I hope Sharapova gets her confidence back. More competition at the top is better for tennis. In addition, I don't think Maria has played badly this year. She's had a couple of tough losses (Rezai and Zvonereva) and other than that she's been pretty darn solid. A SF run at RG for her is about as impressive as a win at any other slam.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a competitive Semifinal (and hoping they both make it there).

SF

sfselesfan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Just what is the injury to the shoulder. We never hear what it is. Is it a rotator cuff problem or what?

Is it 100% when she plays lesser players, then 50% when she plays a Williams.

But like Carillo stated, Maria gets aces and winners against lesser players but not against Venus because of her wing span and her speed.

And her reflexes + positioning on the return of serve.

SF

Foxy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
sfselesfan,

You're right. Maria has not played poorly this year. She's played great tennis, it's just that a healthy Maria met a healthy Venus and Serena this year and they clobbered her real good.

But Maria has had an excellent year, she's just come up short in the grand slams.

nelsondan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Maria has changed something about her serve. If it leads to success, or even improvement, she deserves credit for recognizing a problem and making the effort to fix it.

She seems very candid in her doodles. But if people want to believe she has some sort of whining excuse-making agenda to cover her failures,I think she can just put it in the context of it going with the territory in which she lives.

Mrs. Peel
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
sfselesfan,

You're right. Maria has not played poorly this year. She's played great tennis, it's just that a healthy Maria met a healthy Venus and Serena this year and they clobbered her real good.

But Maria has had an excellent year, she's just come up short in the grand slams.

I concur...all this talk of "injury" and serve is just blowing smoke. She has played very well and consistently played deep into tournaments. She just hasn't been winning or dominating as her fans and the biased media expects her too.

Look at her stats from Wimbledon. She demolished everyone(not the most high caliber competition either) until she met an inspired Venus Williams and then all of a sudden people start crying and whinging about her serve and her shoulder. People are saying that Maria never uses her shoulder as an excuse...yeah but it always manages to come up!

A frist round match against Tanasugarn :rolleyes: isn't proof of anything changing. She is playing the same game as always. :yawn: Did she serve 126 last night? :p

Her serve isn't the problem. Its when her poor movement gets exploited that she is in deep doo doo.

Vlover
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Maria has never been a whiner, nor has she ever demonstrated any kind of duplicity with regard to tennis. The presumption that she is doing so now smacks of projection--or total unfamiliarity with her history.

Obviously this is your perspective with your blinders on of course and then there is the rest of us who believe what we see and hear with our own eyes and ears.:tape:

She seem to be doing well with her schedule and matches with this injury so far therefore I think every body should just forget about it play tennis.

Bijoux0021
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
I concur...all this talk of "injury" and serve is just blowing smoke. She has played very well and consistently played deep into tournaments. She just hasn't been winning or dominating as her fans and the biased media expects her too.

Look at her stats from Wimbledon. She demolished everyone(not the most high caliber competition either) until she met an inspired Venus Williams and then all of a sudden people start crying and whinging about her serve and her shoulder. People are saying that Maria never uses her shoulder as an excuse...yeah but it always manages to come up!

A frist round match against Tanasugarn :rolleyes: isn't proof of anything changing. She is playing the same game as always. :yawn: Did she serve 126 last night? :p

Her serve isn't the problem. Its when her poor movement gets exploited that she is in deep doo doo.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

DA FOREHAND
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:19 PM

Fed Cup?:tape:

Sorry she should just come out and say she has not intention of playing instead of opting out every chance she gets.:wavey:

Sir Stefwhit
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Right now, she's comfortably thrashed her first opponent. The pattern with the shoulder "injury" seems to be that she gives comfortable beatdowns to lesser opponents in the early rounds, then when she faces an elite player who gives her a smackdown, the shoulder gets the blame.

So when is the shoulder "injury" going to become a factor. Quarters? Semis?

It would be easy to dismiss the initial post as just more trash talking, but honestly speaking, it's a fair question to ask. I don't doubt that Sharapova's shoulder has been an issue most of the season, but at the end of the day it's just another excuse. I would say the exact same thing about Serena and her knee, Justine and her virus, Venus and her wrist, and Hingis and her hip. Most of these girls are playing with injury and most are less than 100% physically, that's just par for the course these days. It's too convenient to put all the blame of a loss on an injury, especially when it doesn't seem to be a factor in any of the previous, more easily, won matches.

To be fair, Sharapova hasn't directly put all the blame of any single loss solely on her injury. Maybe even more than the injury, she's also having confidence issues that are obviously effecting her game. This is where the injury becomes convenient, instead of putting the attention on any mental fragility she may be going through, the shoulder gets all the blame. I'm not knocking her for that in the least bit. I wouldn't go out there and tell the other players that I'm struggling with my confidence, that would be just plain dumb. But as result, I think that's what motivates one to create a thread like this. People and players are too savy, we know what's 'really' going on- and it's a combination of things.

Sharapova's had a solid year and factoring in her injury she should be proud of her results. The problem isn't who she's losing to or the rounds she's losing in, it has more to do with how soundly she's being beaten by the other top players. The one good thing Sharapova's got going for her is that she's a fighter. I think getting past her physical problems will be the easy part, her real fight will be getting her confidence back- I wouldn't dare count her out. I might not be a fan, but I don't doubt her heart. If you have enough heart you can work through most problems, even the ones between the ears.

xan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:31 PM
What a load of crap this thread is!

Why is it that some Williams Fans can't let a single day go by without launching yet another thread whining about Maria!

She's got a shopulder injury. These things take a long time to get better.

She beats most players even at well under 100% because she's GOOD. Live with it.

frenchie
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
After being trashed again by Venus in the semis!

partbrit
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
Obviously this is your perspective with your blinders on of course and then there is the rest of us who believe what we see and hear with our own eyes and ears.

I am not a particular Sharapova fan, so there is no reason for me to have "blinders on." The injury, as I understand it, was pretty serious. It is better. Sometimes it impedes her. But to my knowledge, she simply does not have a history of duplicity, as I pointed out. She is a good sportswoman. As others have pointed out, injury impedes more some times than others.

Princeza
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
I am not a particular Sharapova fan, so there is no reason for me to have "blinders on." The injury, as I understand it, was pretty serious. It is better. Sometimes it impedes her. But to my knowledge, she simply does not have a history of duplicity, as I pointed out. She is a good sportswoman. As others have pointed out, injury impedes more some times than others.

Sharapova is evil, Williams is God, that pretty much sum up their knowledge about tennis.

grudpill
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
I disagree with those who claim Sharapova isn't using the shoulder as an excuse. She's been doing it this whole tournament, even though she's playing excellent.

She's thrashing players like Golvin 6-0/6-3, yet when she gives a post-match interview, she's always quick to mention the "pain" the shoulder "injury" is still causing her. It's bogus. She's on-form, serving great, and shows no sign of physical discomfort. The girl has no future in Hollywood.

The shoulder "injury" has now become the new "I'm only a teenager", as far as excuses for Maria getting beaten by top players. Maria now makes sure she mentions the "injury" in every post match interview, even after she's killed some lower ranked player. Now Tracey Austin doesn't have to work hard to make excuses for Maria, because Maria is doing it herself.

She's basically preparing herself for getting thrashed by someone like Venus Williams. If Maria loses in a semi-final against Williams, she's prepared her excuses already. The "injury". If she manages to beat Williams, she can say that the injury doesn't bother her anymore. It'll come and go depending on the level of players she can beat. I get the feeling we may be hearing about this "injury" for as long as she's incapable of beating the best opposition.

Maria wants to have her cake and eat it, and it's pretty tiresome.

Petersmiler
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
I disagree with those who claim Sharapova isn't using the shoulder as an excuse. She's been doing it this whole tournament, even though she's playing excellent.

She's thrashing players like Golvin 6-0/6-3, yet when she gives a post-match interview, she's always quick to mention the "pain" the shoulder "injury" is still causing her. It's bogus. She's on-form, serving great, and shows no sign of physical discomfort. The girl has no future in Hollywood.

The shoulder "injury" has now become the new "I'm only a teenager", as far as excuses for Maria getting beaten by top players. Maria now makes sure she mentions the "injury" in every post match interview, even after she's killed some lower ranked player. Now Tracey Austin doesn't have to work hard to make excuses for Maria, because Maria is doing it herself.

She's basically preparing herself for getting thrashed by someone like Venus Williams. If Maria loses in a semi-final against Williams, she's prepared her excuses already. The "injury". If she manages to beat Williams, she can say that the injury doesn't bother her anymore. It'll come and go depending on the level of players she can beat. I get the feeling we may be hearing about this "injury" for as long as she's incapable of beating the best opposition.

And why does this bother you so much?

grudpill
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
And why does this bother you so much?

Why does anything bother anyone?

That's just a silly question. Everyone here is a tennis fan and interested in the players and their actions. If a poster thinks a player is making excuses or exaggerating injuries, they don't really need to give a reason for discussing it or being irritated by the fact. This is the WTA board. It's the sort of thing we discuss.

Craigy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Shoulder fetishes I tell you! :p

Aravanecaravan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:40 AM

You're ignorance is very transparent. Maybe if you ever have the misfortune of suffering from tendonitis, as some of us have, you'll be a little more contemplative about it. Try doing a little research before making a fool of yourself.

Petersmiler
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
Why does anything bother anyone?

That's just a silly question. Everyone here is a tennis fan and interested in the players and their actions. If a poster thinks a player is making excuses or exaggerating injuries, they don't really need to give a reason for discussing it or being irritated by the fact. This is the WTA board. It's the sort of thing we discuss.

I'm not questioning your right to discuss it, I was just questioning your motivation for saying it twice. Surely I have the right to do that too?

And the only reason I asked is because you created this thread, then resurrected it with exactly the same point. It seems to me you have an axe to grind and I simply wondered what that axe was.

But whatever, if you don't want to examine your own motivation for it, that's fine.

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
theory number one : some WS fans just hate the fact the WS themselves have had a lot of injuries and do the :sad: + :hug: for them, but take out their bottled anger that comes from not being able to watch their fav's play on maria

theory number two : some WS fans simply just are crazy and cant be helped

theory number three: some WS try to project everything negative onto maria, because the WS themselves are never short of excuses

ultimate theory: all of the theories can be combined

Andy.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
:o :rolleyes:

grudpill
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
I'm not questioning your right to discuss it, I was just questioning your motivation for saying it twice. Surely I have the right to do that too?

And the only reason I asked is because you created this thread, then resurrected it with exactly the same point. It seems to me you have an axe to grind and I simply wondered what that axe was.

But whatever, if you don't want to examine your own motivation for it, that's fine.

I need a "motivation" for responding back in my own thread?

Um, okay. If you say so. I was giving a general response to several posts that I read saying that Maria herself isn't personally using the shoulder excuse, but that others (fans, commentators) are doing it for her. I disagreed with that claim, which is why I made mention of her post-match interviews this week in San Diego, citing the shoulder. It's why I mentioned Tracey Austin not having to make excuses for her. That is all. I wasn't just regurgitating my original post verbatim.

And I'm hardly "resurrecting" a long dead thread. I started the damn thing yesterday, and since I've got other responsibilities, didn't have time to read it over and make my own generalised response till now. Nothing sinster there, I'm afraid.

Methinks you're a tad paranoid. I'm not out to "get" Maria. No axe to grind against her personally. But I don't like the convineient excuses she often comes up with (Fed Cup as well), and I won't lose any sleep saying so.

Bijoux0021
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

DITTO!

Petersmiler
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
I need a "motivation" for responding back in my own thread?

Um, okay. If you say so. I was giving a general response to several posts that I read saying that Maria herself isn't personally using the shoulder excuse, but that others (fans, commentators) are doing it for her. I disagreed with that claim, which is why I made mention of her post-match interviews this week in San Diego, citing the shoulder. It's why I mentioned Tracey Austin not having to make excuses for her. That is all. I wasn't just regurgitating my original post verbatim.

And I'm hardly "resurrecting" a long dead thread. I started the damn thing yesterday, and since I've got other responsibilities, didn't have time to read it over and make my own generalised response till now. Nothing sinster there, I'm afraid.

Methinks you're a tad paranoid. I'm not out to "get" Maria. No axe to grind against her personally. But I don't like the convineient excuses she often comes up with (Fed Cup as well), and I won't lose any sleep saying so.

Ok, fair enough. I understand why you responded again today.

Maybe I'm just different to you. Personally, I wouldn't question her assessment of her own performance and how her shoulder is feeling. But I realise that far worse accusations fly about this forum and maybe I should challenge some of those instead.

Oh and incidentally, I'm not paranoid. Maria is the top player I least like, even actively cheering against her on occasions. I'm sorry to her fans but I've never warmed to her.

PatrickRyan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:45 AM
When she playes Venus. ;)

Princeza
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:15 PM
theory number one : some WS fans just hate the fact the WS themselves have had a lot of injuries and do the :sad: + :hug: for them, but take out their bottled anger that comes from not being able to watch their fav's play on maria

theory number three: some WS try to project everything negative onto maria, because the WS themselves are never short of excuses

I'll go with the ultimate one.

acetoace
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM

Great post!! Indeed, truth is bitter and your take exemplifies what gets POVA fans agitated most of the time. To most of these narrow minded fans, no criticism carries any thruth when it comes to POVA. Truth is simply anathema to their psyche.

These paranoid fans usually are the first to throw punches....; however, when they get hit in return and are confronted with facts they perceived as "unglorifying" of or less than complimentary to POVA, all rational thinking goes out the window. I see them as just a bunch of fickle minded retards that believe Maria is a Saint who can't or shouldn't be crticised by anyone and for any reason however legitimate. Classic hypocrites I would say!

When u dissect their pedigree on this board, u'll find that these folks represent the crop that support any player they figure has any remote chance of derailing a WS in any tournament. Their insecurities knows no bound. They were the ones who denied that Serena didn't lose to Maria due to injury at the 04 YEC eventhough everyone around the globe watching the match "LIVE" witnessed what happend. Yet, they expect the world to believe the nonsense POVA spews at every opportunity about her mysterious injury every time she gets her tail clipped by better players.

Tennisaddict
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I do think that her shoulder bothers her but not to the extent that she can't play matches adequately. Her losses to the WS and Ivanovic were because they played better than her and not because of her shoulder. Many players play with injuries unfortunately these days and it hampers them sometimes more but it's most of the time not the deciding factor when they loose. They would not play if it was or would retire during a match.

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
I love how are the "Pova's fans" that get agitated...
'cause the Williams nohh.... they never made excuses...real excuses

men...people doubt that she got a cortisone shot...

awww the truth...ohh
so scary!!

I really admire the Williams while playing...but they don't deserve such a base of fans are they have
they deserve much better....
and we are the ones who are rude hum?

You are the ones always bashing any player...Justine, Maria, Dementieva...anyone!
but no...we are the evils one!!
cause Maria was serving as well against Serena on Auzie as she was against Henin on USO.... even better!!

people...hate is not healthy....

Tennisaddict
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM

awww the truth...ohh
so scary!!

I really admire the Williams while playing...but they don't deserve such a base of fans are they have

You are the ones always bashing any player...Justine, Maria, Dementieva...anyone!
cause Maria was serving as well against Serena on Auzie as she was against Henin on USO.... even better!!

Generalizing is not healthy either :rolleyes:

cypher_88
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Great post!! Indeed, truth is bitter and your take exemplifies what gets POVA fans agitated most of the time. To most of these narrow minded fans, no criticism carries any thruth when it comes to POVA. Truth is simply anathema to their psyche.

These paranoid fans usually are the first to throw punches....; however, when they get hit in return and are confronted with facts they perceived as "unglorifying" of or less than complimentary to POVA, all rational thinking goes out the window. I see them as just a bunch of fickle minded retards that believe Maria is a Saint who can't or shouldn't be crticised by anyone and for any reason however legitimate. Classic hypocrites I would say!

When u dissect their pedigree on this board, u'll find that these folks represent the crop that spport any player they figure has any remote chance of derailing a WS in any tournament. Their insecurities knows no bound. They were the ones who denied that Serena didn't lose to Maria due to injury at the 04 YEC eventhough everyone around the globe watching the match "LIVE" witnessed what happend. Yet, they expect the world to belive the nonsense POVA spews at every opportunity about her mysterious injury every time she gets her tail clipped by better players.

FFS that trashing involved 6 DF's (SIX)!!! I don't think Masha feels intimidated by Golovin and yet she still didn't serve well. making 6 DF's in a single match doesn't resemble the Sharapova from USO 2006.

In conclusion, i wanna say that i do agree that her shoulder problems are to some extent a cosy motivation of her humiliating losses to the Williamses, but on the other hand something is still wrong with her serve and her confidence.

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Generalizing is not healthy either :rolleyes:

oh yes...sorry about that
There is a few that are actually very good and kind to the rest of the players!
I'm serious.

But you also forgot that they did "generalize" first
and that was not the first time and no way that would be the last either...

funny thing....on this same GM there's a thread talking about how great Maria's server is and a lot of WS fans said that her server is still bad...but here most of WS fans said that is just and excuse....weird :scratch:

Tennisaddict
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
I'm serious.

funny thing....on this same GM there's a thread talking about how great Maria's server is and a lot of WS fans said that her server is still bad...but here most of WS fans said that is just and excuse....weird :scratch:

Well, there are a few bad apples in the Williams fan base as there are in every fan base on this board. Most Williams fans are quite candid and that is not always liked but that doesn't mean they're hating.

I for one agree that Maria's serve is not as good as at the US Open 2006 obviously but I don't see that as the main reason for her losses. Her ground game just isn't good enough without the serve. That's where she is different from other top players. Look at Justine for example. She has a serve percentage of 50% many times but still beats most players on a consistent basis because of her ground game that's very solid, lethal and effective. Even Venus when she was losing against the likes of Kuzy, Janko and Sharapova was losing with very tight scores. She was serving so many DF and making a lot of unforced errors but still she had so much game that it took the top ten players at least three sets with tight scores to beat her. Maria without her serve gets trashed by the Williams sisters and Ivanovic. She should not only work to improve her serve but also her ground game so she can fall back on it. I don't know if she can improve on her movement but that is also very important.

servenrichie
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:25 PM

That's a lot of theories for somebody who never went to school. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?:p

cypher_88
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Well, there are a few bad apples in the Williams fan base as there are in every fan base on this board. Most Williams fans are quite candid and that is not always liked but that doesn't mean they're hating.

I for one agree that Maria's serve is not as good as at the US Open 2006 obviously but I don't see that as the main reason for her losses. Her ground game just isn't good enough without the serve. That's where she is different from other top players. Look at Justine for example. She has a serve percentage of 50% many times but still beats most players on a consistent basis because of her ground game that's very solid, lethal and effective. Even Venus when she was losing against the likes of Kuzy, Janko and Sharapova was losing with very tight scores. She was serving so many DF and making a lot of unforced errors but still she had so much game that it took the top ten players at least three sets with tight scores to beat her. Maria without her serve gets trashed by the Williams sisters and Ivanovic. She should not only work to improve her serve but also her ground game so she can fall back on it. I don't know if she can improve on her movement but that is also very important.

for once i read a coherent post from a WS fan who isn't afraid to accept the truth:D . thank you for being objective and i must say i agree with your theory about her ground game. it simply isn't as effective without the serve as it was when she was serving perfectly.

the movement is a very intriguing subject, but it is very hard to improve one's movement. if you aren't born a "runner" it's very hard to adjust your body to do that. look at lindsay, tall as Maria and her movement was always her weakness. i'm sure she tried to improve it, but her conformation simply won't allow it and i think it is the same situation with Maria.

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
i hope masha beats venus in straight sets and then says my shoulder still isnt at its best :devil:

servenrichie
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
i hope masha beats venus in straight sets and then says my shoulder still isnt at its best :devil:
You still dont get it do you?
The shoulder will be a factor anyway:lol:

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:40 PM

Yeay!!
See you are one of the great ones...

I agree on what say, but there is also one thing: Maria does have a great baseline game.
What I believe is that she a pull a Roddick way to handle the match when the serve is not there (she's a way better on baseline than Andy!)
The thing is that when her server was not there her game falled apart... it's not like she had a bad baseline game, it's more like the confidence affect her entire game

Now I believe that she sort of is knowing better how to handle a match without her server (like she did against Golovin yesterday)
which when (or IF) her server get back will be great to her entire game...IMO

about Henin...she really never had a server...so all she could is have an impressive baseline game, wwhich she has.
So I wouldn't compare Maria to Henin on that matter.

Tennisaddict
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yeay!!
See you are one of the great ones...

I agree on what say, but there is also one thing: Maria does have a great baseline game.
What I believe is that she a pull a Roddick way to handle the match when the serve is not there (she's a way better on baseline than Andy!)
The thing is that when her server was not there her game falled apart... it's not like she had a bad baseline game, it's more like the confidence affect her entire game

Now I believe that she sort of is knowing better how to handle a match without her server (like she did against Golovin yesterday)
which when (or IF) her server get back will be great to her entire game...IMO

about Henin...she really never had a server...so all she could is have an impressive baseline game, wwhich she has.
So I wouldn't compare Maria to Henin on that matter.

Maria has a lethal ground game but it's not enough against the top players without her serve that's what I meant, because she's not good when she has to defend. Henin can win with a minimal serve because she is one of the best defenders/movers on the tour. I'm comparing Maria to Henin because both are top players.

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
Maria has a lethal ground game but it's not enough against the top players without her serve that's what I meant, because she's not good when she has to defend. Henin can win with a minimal serve because she is one of the best defenders/movers on the tour. I'm comparing Maria to Henin because both are top players.

agree agree... yet I believe that the reason why she's losing is more from a mental break 'cause of her lack of server that ends up messing up with her game than her game at all

I believe that even with a bad server uf she puts up her attack game in good form she can still manage to win...just IMO of course...

venusallday
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Schorsch, I'd like to know why Jankovic said that she had a "cold" in her post-match interview. Can't these youngs just get beat, and not say anything about a sickness. If JJ had been so sick with a "cold," then why did she play doubles afterwards. Sharapova is setting this example. Venus, Serena, Davenport, JH have long played with injuries. That's why they wear tape every time they play (which Maria for some reason does not). Yet, they don't bring up their injuries when they lose to each other or players with the capacity to play better than they do. I have long been a fan of Venus, and she has been injured for months at a time. She never brought it up in every post-match interview like I've read from Maria. Maria is getting paid too much money to be making so many excuses. When Agassi had to get cortisone shots, he never attributed his losses to his injury.

May I add, though, that I almost don't mind hearing these things from Sharapova and Jankovic. Why? Because they are young, and they still have much more maturity to gain. However, they are in their physical primes. It does not take long for their bodies to heal. If Sharapova really has an injury that is preventing her from playing at her top form, then she should take some time off and let it heal. Because she has not done that, she is no different than those players who play with injuries, which is a great amount of the women.

AcesHigh
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
If Sharapova really has an injury that is preventing her from playing at her top form, then she should take some time off and let it heal. Because she has not done that, she is no different that those players who play with injuries, which is a great amount of the women.

Although.. to Sharapova's credit, I don't think she has blamed any of her losses on the shoulder and if interviewers keep asking you about it... what can you do?
Jankovic has been getting on my nerves though. I was a big fan until she started all this complaining and bitching.

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM

Although.. to Sharapova's credit, I don't think she has blamed any of her losses on the shoulder and if interviewers keep asking you about it... what can you do?
Jankovic has been getting on my nerves though. I was a big fan until she started all this complaining and bitching.

Exactly!! :worship:

does anyone wanna a try a good look at what she said after she got beat up by Venus?
She said "she was better than I"
people....look like you just wanna find a reason for hate her!!

She doesn't blame her shoulder... and she's in NO WAY the same as Janko!!
she's not acting like Jankovic!!

The reporters keep asking her all the time.... she even said that she's kinda used to give the same type of answers!

she give her oppos the credit...so she did with Venus and Serena on both times she lost
just look at her interviews!!

-> do some reading before typing people.

jacobruiz
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Maria is getting paid too much money to be making so many excuses. When Agassi had to get cortisone shots, he never attributed his losses to his injury.

Neither does Maria. She doesn't "make" excuses. What is she supposed to do when she is asked about her shoulder over and over in every interview?

And thank goodness Yuri doesn't talk to the press like Richard did about Venus and Serena's injuries during Wimbledon.:lol:

Tennisaddict
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
agree agree... yet I believe that the reason why she's losing is more from a mental break 'cause of her lack of server that ends up messing up with her game than her game at all

I believe that even with a bad server uf she puts up her attack game in good form she can still manage to win...just IMO of course...

I don't know about that. She always seems ready to play and fight for every point.
She does have weird lapses at times tough.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Neither does Maria. She doesn't "make" excuses. What is she supposed to do when she is asked about her shoulder over and over in every interview?

And thank goodness Yuri doesn't talk to the press like Richard did about Venus and Serena's injuries during Wimbledon.:lol:

She could say she's doing fine thanks for asking.

Richard knows exactly what he's doing, Justine took three sets to beat Serena who was on one leg, and had one hand, we all know Venus beat the snot out of everyone from the 4th round on.

Yuri's best line is a scowl, oh and he's probably great at charades.:wavey:

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM

What? You want her to lie and say that everything is fine with her shoulder and that the reason why she's not serving as well as she uses to is unkonw?

Come on men!
They ask her and she answers them!
She's not making any excuses!!
if you want go back to WImby site and read her post-match interview after Venus match??

and as for the fans
I'm the first one saying congratulations and saying how amazing her oppos played
and othres do the same
it's not like she said "I got beat my myself" she said that Venus was the best and that's why she won...

Richard knows exactly what he's doing, Justine took three sets to beat Serena who was on one leg, and had one hand, we all know Venus beat the snot out of everyone from the 4th round on.

wnat the truth?
both suck...doesn't matter if you're a parent or not.... you should not celebrate as they do while their daughters are playing!
That's just awful

and seriously...I don't believe that neither of them has anything to do with their daughters winning matches...
the only thing that for me makes Richard looks worse is that sometimes you sure that he wants to take his daughter spot on fame...
looks like he wanna appear more then them!

RenaSlam.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:02 PM

Yuri is too busy verbally abusing Maria for her losses and mistakes.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
What? You want her to lie and say that everything is fine with her shoulder and that the reason why she's not serving as well as she uses to is unkonw?

Come on men!
if you want go back to WImby site and read her post-match interview after Venus match??

and as for the fans
I'm the first one saying congratulations and saying how amazing her oppos played
and othres do the same
it's not like she said "I got beat my myself" she said that Venus was the best and that's why she won...

wnat the truth?
both suck...doesn't matter if you're a parent or not.... you should not celebrate as they do while their daughters are playing!
That's just awful

and seriously...I don't believe that neither of them has anything to do with their daughters winning matches...
the only thing that for me makes Richard looks worse is that sometimes you sure that he wants to take his daughter spot on fame...

Richard raised two not one multiple slam, future hall of famers, and former world #1's, not to mention two of the best players of this generation. Yeah he sucks

JeremySun
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
I have a feeling Maria is paying her opponents to let her win. Talk about corruption.

~CANUCK~
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
Yuri is too busy verbally abusing Maria for her losses and mistakes.

And you know this how? You been stalking her again have you.

doni1212
Aug 3rd, 2007, 08:12 PM

:lol: I love that one.

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:47 PM
Ok, fair enough. I understand why you responded again today.

Maybe I'm just different to you. Personally, I wouldn't question her assessment of her own performance and how her shoulder is feeling. But I realise that far worse accusations fly about this forum and maybe I should challenge some of those instead.

Oh and incidentally, I'm not paranoid. Maria is the top player I least like, even actively cheering against her on occasions. I'm sorry to her fans but I've never warmed to her.
You've got a good rep. coming. Not many people on this board would admit that they were mistaking to someone they were debating with. :worship::worship::worship:

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM

awww the truth...ohh
so scary!!

I guess Maria deserves hers.

safii
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:58 PM
I guess Maria deserves hers.
hers what??

Russianboy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:01 PM

You are talking so much about a person you hate! there's something wrong! Are you need to explain what she's feeling or what she's doing? I dont think so. You dont like her, so it was obvious you are writing totally bullshit here.

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Richard raised two not one multiple slam, future hall of famers, and former world #1's, not to mention two of the best players of this generation. Yeah he sucks

and I know how amazing the WS are (I'm not joking)
they had to fight a lot
and of course that they own a lot to their family, but you gota admit that Richard is kinda of crazy and that his behave is not the best on court
(personally I believe that the girls look more like Oracene than Richard...)
creating or not champions that doesn't justify what he does on court...

same goes (less times) for Yuri
and you gotta admit that Maria life wsn't so easy as well...

truth....Yuri and Richard should be buddies... :lol: :o

safii
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:05 PM
You are talking so much about a person you hate! there's something wrong! Are you need to explain what she's feeling or what she's doing? I dont think so. You dont like her, so it was obvious you are writing totally bullshit here.
that's so true;) I can't understand how haters bother so much in writing crap about the ones they don't like:rolleyes:

Donny
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
that's so true;) I can't understand how haters bother so much in writing crap about the ones they don't like:rolleyes:

That's ironic: You just posted a message voicing your displeasure about other people voicing their dipleasure about someone.

safii
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
That's ironic: You just posted a message voicing your displeasure about other people voicing their dipleasure about someone. ur message is way too confusing:confused: :help:

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
I'm serious.

But you also forgot that they did "generalize" first
and that was not the first time and no way that would be the last either...

Are you blind or do you just ignore what some Maria fans say? If you or anyone else has a problem with something a particular poster or fan says, please have the courage to challenge them instead of attacking or insulting a whole fan base.

Craigy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:22 PM
:hearts: Nice thread!

safii
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
:hearts: Nice thread!
maybe, but I don't like the title, maria doesn't make any excuses

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:41 PM

Come on men!

and as for the fans
and othres do the same

wnat the truth?
That's just awful

When the sisters were young, Richard did all of the talking and protected them to the best of his ability from the haters which also included some of the commentators. Once his girls became old enough to speak for themselves he allowed them to do so.

How many fathers have you seen on tour that congratulates the opponents father after they have beat their child. Richard did it when Maria beat Serena and he also did it this year. You may not like Richard and that's your choice, but there's no doubt that Richard loves his children and wouldn't care if they stopped playing tennis today. I'm sure that if they retired and Richard wanted to, he could find a job coaching someone. The media looks for Richard it's not the other way around. Like it or not, Richard generally knows what the's talking about when it comes to his kids. A perfect example is that Richard said Venus would win Wimbledon. Again, they naysayers thought it was funny and had to eat crow again.

Craigy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:42 PM
maybe, but I don't like the title, maria doesn't make any excuses

It's called sarcasm. :hug:

new-york
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:46 PM
It's called sarcasm. :hug:

It's called not being introduced to the whole board before joining.:p

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
for once i read a coherent post from a WS fan who isn't afraid to accept the truth:D . thank you for being objective and i must say i agree with your theory about her ground game. it simply isn't as effective without the serve as it was when she was serving perfectly.

the movement is a very intriguing subject, but it is very hard to improve one's movement. if you aren't born a "runner" it's very hard to adjust your body to do that. look at lindsay, tall as Maria and her movement was always her weakness. i'm sure she tried to improve it, but her conformation simply won't allow it and i think it is the same situation with Maria.
Perhaps you should get some lessons on reading comprehension. :rolleyes:

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:48 PM
And what would that prove?

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
hers what??

I was responding to the poster that said Venus deserved better fans than she has and I was responding that so doesn't Maria.