PDA

View Full Version : Maria's new serve looks great

womensrights
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:52 AM
I was at the match tonight in San Diego and Maria has changed her serve finally! Her motion is a little shorter and more fluid . Pete Fisher has done a great job. It will take a lot of pressure off her shoulder and she looks to be a lot more confident on the big points. It may take a while for her to get complete confidence in it but in the short time since Wimbledon it really looks good.It looks a bit like Wayne Arthurs only he is left handed. She was also looking very fit and seemed to be enjoying herself a lot more out there. I really think she will be rrady to defend her US open in a few weeks.

Mike_from_Russia
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
I was at the match tonight in San Diego and Maria has changed her serve finally!
Really? So she change the movement on her serve? Very interesting! Thanks for info! Can you say something about the speed of serve?

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:15 AM
yeah, i'd really like to know the speed of the serve, too. approx. fastest serve. and also uhm. and her average ?

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:18 AM
and did she win lotsa points on it? service winners i mean. and also her finishing shots? (winners)

Williams Rulez
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:00 AM
how's her 2nd serve like?? its probably more important tt she improved her 2nd serve seeing tt it was breaking down under pressure the last few months..

Привет
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:14 AM
new service motion for masha! :dance:

i'm trying to picture in my mind a mix of masha's old serve and wayne arthurs' serve. :scratch:

:lol:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
Cant wait to see it! But I cant imagine it looking like Arthur's...

Maria Croft
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Hope we can see a video of her new service motion soon :)

tabieonelove3
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
this vid is from a week ago at WTT.. the video isn't that clear though...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jsYsk_7ybfY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tMtSA0atusQ
^about 4 minutes into this vid
she changed the take back. it's now a bit shorter.

obiku
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
9 aces
2 DF
1st serve % 61%
1 serve points won 79%
2 nd serve points won 72%
All 6 BPs saved
Maria served 8 games.

goldlion
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
She finally changed it. That's good. ;)

supergrunt
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
f#ck :(

Wolverines08
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
f#ck :(

I was looking at your thing about Kournikova...lol....she was asked recently what's the 1st word that comes to mind when she hears some names, when Serena's came up she said " Really Good Friend".

switz
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:19 PM
pfff serving well against Tanasugarn isn't not a true test of how it will hold up in big matches. i'd be happy to see her fix it though even if i don't like her.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
let's see how the serve holds up in a big match first....until she gets comfortable and confident with it in big matches it won't make that much difference (and that's not hating)

supergrunt
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:46 PM
I'm not changing my sassy signature. :p

Shepster
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
I think the main person this effects is Novak Djokovic - he's going to have to work on his impressions... :D

mykarma
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
9 aces
2 DF
1st serve % 61%
1 serve points won 79%
2 nd serve points won 72%
All 6 BPs saved
Maria served 8 games.
Great stats

mykarma
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
let's see how the serve holds up in a big match first....until she gets comfortable and confident with it in big matches it won't make that much difference (and that's not hating)
The change might help her confidence. I don't want her to win against the sisters but would like to see her be competitive.

MistyGrey
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Finally! Get back to your best Maria!

ASP0315
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
I'm not changing my sassy signature. :p

:haha: :haha:

hwanmig
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Oh that's great I wanna see that new serve get pounded again.

CORIA01
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
We Cannot See Her Serve On The Video

venusallday
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM
that video didn't look like 126 to me, but whatever. I hope she does have a better motion now. Maybe it'll help her like it did for Justine.

Expat
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:39 PM
good luck maria
i hope u at least take 4 games from venus
not that i want to you to win against venus LOL

Foxy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:05 PM
Maria has always served a bunch of aces and had a high first service percentage and won a high percentage of first serves against a lesser players.

That's how it was at Wimbledon until she faced Venus who knows how to hit off of her serve and return it deep.

Kutznetsova has a better serve than Maria and Venus was eating her first serves up as well.

A first serve isn't all Maria needs. She's too slow and her ground strokes are not as penetrating and her net game is terrible. The sisters exploit ALL of her weaknesses.

Look at Andy Roddick the commentators thought just because he had a booming serve, he'd be the next Pete Sampras. Everyone is beating Andy now because he doesn't have a well developed game other than his serve. The other guys have learned to do what Federer does and that's just put up their racquet and bundt the ball back and get it into play because Andy's overall game stinks.

So Maria just having a serve isn't gonna cut it.

But it's great that she's improving on her serve because that what she's suppose to do, plus develop her other weaknesses because there are many.

LH2HBH
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM
Interesting! When I think of shorter and more fluid I think of how Jusine Henin changed her service motion and it was much shorter after.

urock34
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:31 PM
this vid is from a week ago at WTT.. the video isn't that clear though...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jsYsk_7ybfY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tMtSA0atusQ
^about 4 minutes into this vid
she changed the take back. it's now a bit shorter.

there is no way in hell that she served 126

xan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
I was at the match tonight in San Diego and Maria has changed her serve finally! Her motion is a little shorter and more fluid . Pete Fisher has done a great job. It will take a lot of pressure off her shoulder and she looks to be a lot more confident on the big points. It may take a while for her to get complete confidence in it but in the short time since Wimbledon it really looks good.It looks a bit like Wayne Arthurs only he is left handed. She was also looking very fit and seemed to be enjoying herself a lot more out there. I really think she will be rrady to defend her US open in a few weeks.

Good news. Maria needed to work on her serve and change the motion. She was getting far too few free points off her serve for the effort she was putting in. And Tanasugarn is no slouch. She's not a nothing player by any means - and took Maria to three sets more than once.

backhanddtl4
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
if you look back to when her serve was still the same and "bad"...you'd notice she served really well in all rounds until she played someone good. it's more mental than it is physical. we'll have to see how her changed service motion holds up against a good returner; someone who will put pressure on her serve.

starin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Good news. Maria needed to work on her serve and change the motion. She was getting far too few free points off her serve for the effort she was putting in. And Tanasugarn is no slouch. She's not a nothing player by any means - and took Maria to three sets more than once.

err they've only played once on the pro tour b4 yesterday. and Sharapova won 62 63.

xan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
if you look back to when her serve was still the same and "bad"...you'd notice she served really well in all rounds until she played someone good. it's more mental than it is physical. we'll have to see how her changed service motion holds up against a good returner; someone who will put pressure on her serve.
That's not true at all. Maria's serve was on all through her Wimbledon and US Open victories. The trouble has been that her serve motion has been a factor causing her shoulder problems - which she needed to get put right. To get the sting on her serve she was having to put too much starin on her shoulder.

Bijoux0021
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
So her service motion was the cause of her "shoulder injury?" :help:

Now that she has a new service motion, there shouldn't be anymore talk about "shoulder injury," right? :help:

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
I agree there was no way that was 126mph. If it was, then it's great for her. But I don't think she is capable of hitting it that hard. Maria is strong, but her grunts can often make her shots seem harder than they really are. I do think her confidence is back though, so I would put her as one of the favorites for the USO.

oreot23
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:08 PM
Has anyone seen recent pix of Maria. She's gained alot of muscle since Wimbledon. That was fast!! lol. I guess she's been changing alot since Wimbledon.

Serge007
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Now that she has a new service motion, there shouldn't be anymore talk about "shoulder injury," right?
may be it's chronically. Who's knows...

Princeza
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
may be it's chronically. Who's knows...

Bijoux knows :hearts:
For sure it's true :hearts:
All hail the light of wtaworld :hearts:

jacobruiz
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
So her service motion was the cause of her "shoulder injury?" :help:

Umm...no. She has abbreviated her normal service motion in hopes of saving wear and tear on her right shoulder.

Bijoux0021Now that she has a new service motion, there shouldn't be anymore talk about "shoulder injury," right? :help:

One doesn't necessarily cancel out the other, although it would be nice if it were that easy.

tennisbear7
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
Wow, I really really like her new service motion.

Before it used to be as if she was on this imaginary platform on the court and unable to move forward after she served. Now that it's more fluid and easy, it should really help her transition game.

I love it.

Thanx4nothin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
That 126mph serve looeked in the 110mph region.

swissmr
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
IMO, It's impossible to judge how fast a serve is from a youtube clip :shrug:

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:36 PM

i agree. her fastest serve yesterday when she hit 9 aces was 113. maria cant hit 126.

Jacey
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM

what, with your bionic eyes?????

tennisbear7
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
Stop getting so defensive.

Maria has not been known to his BOOMING serves like Venus, but varies it.

So 110mph with the spin and work Maria gets on the ball would create many aces.

heytennis
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
i agree. her fastest serve yesterday when she hit 9 aces was 113. maria cant hit 126.

Who knows what she can hit? She obviously isn't going to hit her hardest serves against Tanasugarn.

friendsita
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Hope it works at important matches too, cause in that ones Masha seems to have more problems with her serve.

akosiirwyn
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
even Masha didn't believe it was 126, she said it in the interview after. but the commentators were like "come on, the gun doesn't lie!" or something along those lines

DOUBLEFIST
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Perhaps more important than anything is the degree of confidence a "new" motion gives her. The proof of the serves ACTUAL effectiveness can only be measured in those high intensity, big point, big match moments.

simba
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:50 PM
bring on the big hitters then we will talk about that serve.

mankind
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:23 AM
American speed guns are juiced, I thought everyone knew that. Good for her on improving her serve though, if that's true.

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
6 dfs already. Spoke too soon?

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
i'm sure she's just going for her 2nd serve. her matches with tati were always tight, so she wants to serve as well as possible it seems !

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:28 AM
at least i hope so :i

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:28 AM
ace no.2 yay!!! :lol:

Thanx4nothin
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM
Yeah it looked awesome in those 6 dfs she hit in a relatively pressureless match today. Really premature comment.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
ok 6 dfs.....still early but let's see how it holds up today against Sania

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
ok 6 dfs.....still early but let's see how it holds up today against Sania

Same opinion here...

Serge007
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
she should study serena's serve, serena has a really beautiful service action
Serena is not so tall...

jacobruiz
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Maria's second serve was terrible; she didn't win a single point on it in the second set. Her first serve was pretty good when she got it in.

Hopefully her shoulder pain isn't bad and she's still just getting used to an abbreviated serve.

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Maria's second serve was terrible; she didn't win a single point on it in the second set. Her first serve was pretty good when she got it in.

Hopefully her shoulder pain isn't bad and she's still just getting used to an abbreviated serve.
Come on now, if her shoulder is bothering her this soon in a tournament, she needs to rest it and not play until it's healed.

Bijoux0021
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM

Here we go again. EXCUSES! EXCUSES!

Bijoux0021
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Come on now, if her shoulder is bothering her this soon in a tournament, she needs to rest it and not play until it's healed.
Thank you.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:24 PM

very wise :)

jacobruiz
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
Here we go again.

Maria has suffered from severe inflammation of the tendons in her right shoulder for most of the year. On the advice of doctors, she took a cortisone shot so she could continue to play; it was either that or sit out 6-7 or more months. If she doesn't overplay, the injury supposedly will slowly heal little by little. That doesn't mean she doesn't feel pain.

Maria just likes to compete - whether she has made the right decision remains to be seen.

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:32 PM

like she would do this hum??
I have seen Dementieva play with a bad leg
she was playing USO'04 quarters against Momo dehydrated!! She went straight to the hospital after the match! You could see that she was on pain!
Then the final aginst Kuznetsova where her leg was with a HUGE BANDAGE (looked like a mummy) but she still plays
later on that first TIER I (forgot the name) she was with a bad injury and she did play 'cause she said that was the least she could do for all those people who paied

don't you guys get it?
the frreaking russians do not giver up...they can even play in a wheels chair!!

if I'm not wrong, which I don't, Serena had a bad injury at Wimby, but she still put a fight against Justine!
Maria won't give up just cause "bother her"...as long it doesn't pain that much she will still play...just like Lena D did before....

mykarma
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
she was playing USO'04 quarters against Momo dehydrated!! She went straight to the hospital after the match! You could see that she was on pain!
Then the final aginst Kuznetsova where her leg was with a HUGE BANDAGE (looked like a mummy) but she still plays
later on that first TIER I (forgot the name) she was with a bad injury and she did play 'cause she said that was the least she could do for all those people who paied

don't you guys get it?

if I'm not wrong, which I don't, Serena had a bad injury at Wimby, but she still put a fight against Justine!
Maria won't give up just cause "bother her"...as long it doesn't pain that much she will still play...just like Lena D did before....
I agree with your point. Most athletics have some type of injury the majority of the time but my point was that if she is in pain already and she hasn't had much competition, she doesn't need to be playing. If she was playing in the US Open I'd agree with the previous poster that I responded to but this is the Acura for goodness sake. Yes, Serena had a bad injury at Wimbledon but that was a major and Serena is not playing right now so she can possibility play at the US Open. It Maria's shoulder is just nagging her then continue to play but if she's hurting as the poster that I responded implied, she needs to rest it until the US OPEN.

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
you know some players dont only see the GS. they play on the tour to win matches and titles. any kind of titles. not only GS.

wta TOUR. not wta i'm gonna withdraw from everywhere so i can be fit for the GS and everyone else is tired/ has minor/big injuries /mentally tired / jetlag

its like running a marathon and starting just 5 km ahead of the goal.

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
I agree with your point. Most athletics have some type of injury the majority of the time but my point was that if she is in pain already and she hasn't had much competition, she doesn't need to be playing. If she was playing in the US Open I'd agree with the previous poster that I responded to but this is the Acura for goodness sake. Yes, Serena had a bad injury at Wimbledon but that was a major and Serena is not playing right now so she can possibility play at the US Open. It Maria's shoulder is just nagging her then continue to play but if she's hurting as the poster that I responded implied, she needs to rest it until the US OPEN.

yeah but if she stoped she would play wihtout any rhythm of play and it's not like she can pull a "Serena on auzie" type of play (no rhythm and yet manage to find her best)
so, she say that her shoulder can't get worse
and she's trying to get a litle rhythm

as Jaco already said before.... was that the right decison?
We don't know yet, all we can do is wait and see.

xan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM

Maria is not a quitter. She'll play what she needs to get her game right for the hardcourts - especially since she has the US Open title to defend.

She says she's been told that playing won't harm her shoulder any more than it already is hurt. If that's the case, then she wants to get her preparation in.

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
serena played one tournie at hobart to see where she is at. didnt go very far in it. probably knew her fitness level by then. then played AO. then miami which really is important to her. then she withdrew first round. then wimbledon. then rome lost early. rg. wimbledon. thats it. and maybe nothing till us open.

dontcha feel :sad: to see that? apart from the fact that you want her to win grand slams. meanwhile masha has been dealing with a much worse injury and still showed up at more tournas.

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
dont players need to play a minimum of 12 or 13 tournas?

harloo
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:17 PM
Good for her. Everyone knows it's hard to change a service motion after being accustomed to one way since childhood. I like when players try to improve, the results may not pay off in the beginning but in the long run making small adjustments can add depth and contribute to overall improvement.:)

serenafan08
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM

My thoughts exactly. We'll see how it holds up against a player that can pressure her serve. Like I've been saying, I really don't think this is a physical problem; it's mental with Maria. All she needs is a couple of big wins and her confidence will go back up, and this "injury" will disappear into thin air.

~CANUCK~
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:28 PM

But if her doctors told her she won`t make it worse what would be the reason not to play? She still usually makes the QF or better with a bad arm, so is it really that big a deal that she is hurt. I really don`t understand why this thread has so many WS fans up in arms over this. Do you think it takes away from their wins over her or something because she says her arm hurts?

acetoace
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM

don't you guys get it?

Get what? seems u're the one getting it twisted.

As u stated, yes, Serena was injured at WB and she fought hard like a great champion that she is. Fact is, Serena lost and Justine won. Injury was a factor but Serena has moved on and is taking the steps necessary to ensure the injury heals properly. Hence, reason why she withdrew from 3 tournaments in a row. If Serena returns and she meets Justine again and lose, it would not be bcos of any past injury but bcos Justine played better period!

With that said, Serena's approach exemplifies what taking good care of an injury means IMO. Serena is wise and is not foolish to continue playing while injured and then turn around each time she is flattened by opponents to claim injury for the loss. How convenient is that? Last time I checked, that scenario amounts to wanting to eat ur cake & have it too or I'm I wrong? An attitude definately unbecoming of any prefessional athlete worth its salt.

If Maria wishes to continue playing while injured, fine. But then, she and her fans needs to PERMANENTLY short their stupid mouths up & quit referring to a mysterious injury that so lacks validity at this point.

Now, I notice how they are applauding her newly "found" serve/service motion and, as expected, she is killing second rate players. Let's see what happens over the wkend when, hopefully, she would be confronted by a formidable opponent. If she should lose, I will take a pause and listen to what excuse she & her fans will put forward. Remember, her recent losses have been attributed to shoulder injury. Well, seems like the shoulder is not hindring her from smoking lesser players or is it? The way I see it, the shoulder should not hinder her from smoking any player at all if she is that good.

AN INJURY SUPPOSEDLY SUSTAINED SEVERAL MONTHS IN THE PAST is not and should NEVER be a VALID EXCUSE for a loss. Not palatable to some fans, but that is the bitter truth. When professional tennis players steps on the tennis court to play, they step on the court with a profound belief in their physical readiness and their ability to win.

In tennis, a more acceptable excuse for players loss is when a player takes time off due to prolonged injury & then return to tour off form and not playing at his or her best form but keeps working to bring their game back up. Even at that, when they lose, it can only be bcos they are not in form yet or the other player is just much better than they are regardless.

Bottomline, as her fans postulate, it appears settled that Maria got her groove back on and is playing well. Good for her! From here on, one thing is sure, if she gets another beatdown from any player, I hope she & her fans will not attribute the loss to any injury she may be nursing since the injury did not prevent her from beating crubs.