PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis v Kim Clijsters Aussie Open 2007

CaptnMatt
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:50 AM
I think a few people on this message board should watch this.....

Anyone who says Hingis doesn't hit the ball hard enough or hasn't worked to be able to hit the ball deeper and harder is CRAZY.

Anyone who says Hingis is not a top 10 player is CRAZY.

Anyone who says Kim CLijsters didn't care enough to win the big events is CRAZY.

Just take a look at the effort and heart that they both put into this match.

I love both these girls, particularly Hingis but Kim as well......and I reckon everyone should quit bagging and start appreciating......Both of them have been missing for much of this year......Kim probably will never come back, but Hingis can still win some big events and push the top players to the limit.......I still have faith that she can win a slam again......It was a fantastic match, one of the best of 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q2okrKChIQ

RenaSlam.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:51 AM
Ok....?

swissmr
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:52 AM
Martina really should have won this match. Kim played like crap and she didn't take advantage enough.

RenaSlam.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:55 AM
It was also an error filled contest with a combined total of 82 UE...:tape: :help:

2 aces, 14 DF COMBINED.

Awful match.

le bon vivant
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:59 AM
I still have faith that she can win a slam again......It was a fantastic match, one of the best of 2007.

:unsure:

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:04 AM
Martina really should have won this match. Kim played like crap and she didn't take advantage enough.

exactly what i think, too.

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:04 AM
captnmatt do you have the megaupload links. i'm kind of min the mood to watch that now :haha:

CaptnMatt
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:12 AM
It was also an error filled contest with a combined total of 82 UE...:tape: :help:

2 aces, 14 DF COMBINED.

Awful match.

Just because a match has errors doesn't mean it's an awful match to watch.....I remember it was written up as being a great match in all the Aussie newspapers......as one of the best of the tournament.

There were some amazing points as well as those errors....I agree that Hingis should've kept her momentum going and won....but regardless, they both put up a really great display.

Heck, Venus Williams said today after San Diego that she played the BEST tennis she's played in FOREVER and yet she made 41 unforced errors.....judging by your reaction, a match with that many errors by one player is crap??

RJWCapriati
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:12 AM

2 aces, 14 DF COMBINED.

Awful match.

Do you ever have anything positive to say in a thread? :rolleyes:

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:15 AM
c a p t n m a t t ! ! ! do you have the match? on megaupload? or not ?

CaptnMatt
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:15 AM
captnmatt do you have the megaupload links. i'm kind of min the mood to watch that now :haha:

nah mate, sorry I dont

Was just searching Youtube for some old matches and came across that....

I've read in numerous threads how ''Hingis is done'' and ''Clijsters was pathetic and nobody misses her''.....

Just thought I'd show somethign positive about them for a change!

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:17 AM
but i am in the mood to watch a good hingis match now :(

RJWCapriati
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:21 AM
but i am in the mood to watch a good hingis match now :(

The highlights are just as good!

mm1147
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:30 AM
im just happy that she's back again after a good 2nd round win i honestly thought that martina is fading away again after a horrible loss at wimbledon but now my faith for martina is growing up again i really wish she can go deep in tournaments but for now i don't have any high expectations for martina but still im really glad that she's playing again

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:31 AM
it doesnt matter which match :P i just want to watch a good hignis match now :lol: i dont know i'm in that kind of mood now.

RJWCapriati
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:33 AM
it doesnt matter which match :P i just want to watch a good hignis match now :lol: i dont know i'm in that kind of mood now.

Here is some Hingis/Davenport 06 Indian Wells :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OozDM_z4HPU

heytennis
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:33 AM
I think it's great to have someone with a lot of experience and a unique game in the top 20. She is very fun to watch. I would love for Martina to win RG and get her career slam. It probably is the most likely slam for her to win as power does not mean as much on clay.

K-Dog
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:04 AM
It looked like a very physical match. One must look at the winners too. Martina was only -5 and Kim had 47 winners. Yes, there were unforced errors, but this is women's tennis folks. Tough matches between top players usually elicits unforced errors in the women's game. The rallys looked entertaining and dramatic. It is tough to hit winners again either of these two women because they are so fast.

eck
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:37 AM
But if you want us to stop bagging, why bring it up now? Especially 8 months after the match?
I don't think people were bagging until now..

Geisha
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:50 AM
I watched a video of the highlights and thought they were quite impressive. But, I didn't see the match in its entirety.

Geisha
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:51 AM
It looked like a very physical match. One must look at the winners too. Martina was only -5 and Kim had 47 winners. Yes, there were unforced errors, but this is women's tennis folks. Tough matches between top players usually elicits unforced errors in the women's game. The rallys looked entertaining and dramatic. It is tough to hit winners again either of these two women because they are so fast.

Great post.

LoveFifteen
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:59 AM
I saw the match from start to finish. It was an entertaining match.

RenaSlam588 is one of the most worthless people on this board. If you're going to be a hateful, negative asshole, could you at least be remotely creative and/or funny? :shrug:

Dexter
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:39 AM
It was everything but a fantastic match. :unsure:

saki
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:43 AM
Actually, I think that match illustrated what's been holding Hingis back. She lost to Kim a lot because she'd just retrieve rather than go for her shots and Kim plays that game better. I thought she played a lot better at the YEC :shrug:

The Dawntreader
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Those highlights, i'm suprised they were enough good points as they were- it really was a stinker of a match:o

clijster's hitting 62 UEs and Hingis couldnt capitalise:rolleyes:

Probably her best chance to get to a semi since her comeback and she lost her chance really.

Petersmiler
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
I must admit that my only memories of this match are that Martina should really have won. Kim was playing like shit for most of the match but Martina kept being really passive and never attacked when she could have.

It was still entertaining, just disappointing if you wanted Martina to win.

lecciones
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Martina :) You had really great moments there but, uhm.. im so puzzled why you didnt win it.

lecciones
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Actually, I think that match illustrated what's been holding Hingis back. She lost to Kim a lot because she'd just retrieve rather than go for her shots and Kim plays that game better. I thought she played a lot better at the YEC :shrug:

Agree. Hingis is completely wasting her time thinking that she can just retrieve like hell out there....... I as a huge fan is kind of tired seeing her just do retrieval business when she could just take control of the point if she wished and had it finished with in her own terms. :confused: :confused: :confused:

lecciones
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:07 PM

2nd post I have agreed to from K-Dog.

lecciones
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Ok....?

Let me give a great example of a typical Hingis hater... refer to poster above.

venusallday
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
The Aussie Open turf is Martina's best. The fact that she was unable to beat Kim shows that she will have a hard time beating the top players. Didn't she get to 6 straight finals on that stuff in her heyday?

LeonHart
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Hingis should have won this match in 2 sets. Got too tired in the 3rd cause Clijsters was running her around quite a bit. Sigh!

Martian Willow
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:42 PM
I seem to recall Martina getting a very bad line call early in the third that allowed Kim to break after several deuces (I think). That didn't help.

jonnyroyale_13
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
couldve, wouldve, shouldve...2 great players, some great rallys, but all-in-all not a great match.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
It was maybe the worst match of Clijsters I've ever seen.

RenaSlam.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM

Thank you.

Steffica Greles
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
I think a few people on this message board should watch this.....

Anyone who says Hingis doesn't hit the ball hard enough or hasn't worked to be able to hit the ball deeper and harder is CRAZY.

Anyone who says Hingis is not a top 10 player is CRAZY.

So where is she? And before you point out that she's been injured, Hingis was injured primarily because she overplayed last year. And she overplayed last year in order to stay abreast of the top 10. A Hingis with the ability to gain sufficient points from a much smaller schedule would still have attained the top 10 but as a result would not have been injured and fatigued for much of this year.

But that Hingis doesn't exist in reality, which became apparent in 1999/2000 when Hingis beefed up her schedule to maintain a false ranking - and seriously injured herself by the end of 2002.

You read the story of Hingis' career after January 1999?

Anyone who says Kim CLijsters didn't care enough to win the big events is CRAZY.

Oh okay, if you say so. I thought she retired earlier this year, aged 23, with one major. But I must be mistaken.

Just take a look at the effort and heart that they both put into this match.

No doubt about that. But the real test is when the going gets tough; when the injuries strike and the losses mount. Hingis has met that challenge in the past by walking, Clijsters has as well, and Hingis will walk again by the end of 2008. Watch this space.

Meanwhile, noble professionals like Lindsay Davenport went through rehab in 2002, undergoing a series of tedious exercises daily -- enough to put her in an institution, Davenport later revealed -- to recover from worse injuries than Martina's, with no guarantee of revitalising her career, just the thread of hope and a sense of duty to her profession.

I love both these girls, particularly Hingis but Kim as well......and I reckon everyone should quit bagging and start appreciating......Both of them have been missing for much of this year......Kim probably will never come back, but Hingis can still win some big events and push the top players to the limit.......I still have faith that she can win a slam again......It was a fantastic match, one of the best of 2007.

Yeah, that video showed me nothing new.

Hingis has perfect feel and timing -- we all knew that -- but plays absolutely spineless tennis. Watch the video once more: how many times did Hingis hit anywhere near to the lines when on the offence? The tally, I could count on one hand -- particularly poor when you consider Hingis knew that she was facing perhaps the greatest mover on the tour.

And there's just no muscle in Hingis' shots; she simply utilizes her opponents' pace, or loops her forehand drives into their corners. Her backhand is still her biggest weapon, but unlike in the late 90s, today there are at least half a dozen players with backhands which can rival that of Hingis.

The most stark thing about the video is that Hingis hits the ball as early and perhaps harder than in 1997. She's also quicker and a better athlete.

And she L.O.S.T.

No.1Hingis
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
I did watch the match, full of errors, but actually fun .. a good fight IMO from both.. Kim looked sometimes desesperated .. was a good match to watch.. instead the errors .. some deuces were eternal at both services..

An awful match to watch is when it finish fast and without any bit demostration of fight or some tennis.. at least is what I think..

LoveFifteen
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Why does Steffica Greles always have to write an essay in every single Hingis thread about why Hingis sucks? It's such a tired tune, man. Get a life. I mean, we understand your opinions on Hingis. Why do you have to type the ad nauseum in every thread about her? :confused:

Steffica Greles
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Why does Steffica Greles always have to write an essay in every single Hingis thread about why Hingis sucks? It's such a tired tune, man. Get a life. I mean, we understand your opinions on Hingis. Why do you have to type the ad nauseum in every thread about her? :confused:

Because I hate hype, hysteria and bull shit. I'm not fifteen.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:05 PM

Really worse than all her slam final matches against henin? can't get much worse than that:tape:

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Really worse than all her slam final matches against henin? can't get much worse than that:tape:

I said maybe.
And I didn't get to watch their RG and USO finals. But AO-2004 final looks like a high-quality battle in comparison with Clijsters-Hingis horror show.

Max565
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM

Well said, LoveFifteen :worship: :D

LoveFifteen
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:36 AM
Because I hate hype, hysteria and bull shit. I'm not fifteen.

You have a right to your opinions, but I swear, man, you're in every single Hingis thread writing the same thing over and over. It just gets old.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:47 AM
are we forgetting that the only reason martina had so many chances was becaause kim played liek shit. other wise kim woulda won just like shad all three times they played in 2006

njnetswill
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:02 AM
Everytime I see Kim play it makes me sad.

Steffica Greles
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:21 PM
You have a right to your opinions, but I swear, man, you're in every single Hingis thread writing the same thing over and over. It just gets old.

Firstly, yes, I know I have a right to my opinions: I didn't need your validation.

Secondly, a thread is created where practically everybody says the same thing in slightly different words, and all of it I happen to think is rubbish, and they write it over and over and OVER again, and you say my messages are 'old'.

A little work on the logical reasoning required on your part?