PDA

View Full Version : Well, it appears Maria's serve is back

K-Dog
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:12 AM
8 aces only 2 doubles so far through about a set and a half. Damnit!!!!!

LeRoy.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:13 AM
she is playing Tammy afterall. She isn't afraid of a weak second serve getting smacked for a return winner and that helps a lot imo. :shrug:

Stamp Paid
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:14 AM
Depends. Who's she playing?

swissmr
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:14 AM
Make it 9 aces :p
She has changed her motion so maybe that's had an effect. Still I don't want to get my hopes up. It's only one match.

RenaSlam.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Now we won't have flying excuses coming from the Maria fans on this board when she loses...

KBdoubleu
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Wait for a match when the returner can make her pay for a weak second serve

K-Dog
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:25 AM
Make it 9 aces :p
She has changed her motion so maybe that's had an effect. Still I don't want to get my hopes up. It's only one match.

What does her new motion look like? Can you describe it?

heytennis
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:27 AM
Her serve stats were good against Sugiyama. I want to see how she does against a capable player.

swissmr
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:28 AM
What does her new motion look like? Can you describe it?

It's just the old one abbreviated - shorter takeback and swing.

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:29 AM
its a little bit abbreviated and a bit cleaner. rather "roundish" i dont know. but she still does the knee-bend thing. its hard to describe it :haha:

LindsayRulz
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:30 AM
I think we will really know if her serve is back after her match against Venus in semis.

sfselesfan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:37 AM
I hope her serve is back.

SF

Jacey
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:37 AM
It's just the old one abbreviated - shorter takeback and swing.

Heard the service speed was also faster, in WTT....not sure about this match though

K-Dog
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:38 AM
A more abbreviated swing tends to lessen the wear and tear on the shoulder.

RenaSlam.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:39 AM
As expected...

ASP0315
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:43 AM
if she have the same stats when she plays against venus then i'll agree with you. But she just played tammy after all she still has very long way to go.

Dan23
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:48 AM
Not going to get carried away with this but the fact she hit 9 1st serves well enough to be aces is encouraging.....I dont think she would have that many in a 2 set match since late last year. There'll be more stern tests to come.

sfselesfan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:51 AM
I think Maria plays well in night matches.

SF

LindsayRulz
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:00 AM
I think we will really know if her serve is back after her match against Venus in semis.

Was my post that offensive? Cause I just got a bad rep for it by schorsch....:o

jazzfuzion
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:15 AM
Was my post that offensive? Cause I just got a bad rep for it by schorsch....:o

hahahaa you have to pardon the 10 year olds.

LindsayRulz
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
hahahaa you have to pardon the 10 year olds.

:lol:

K-Dog
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
bump...

Maria's serve has gone south in this match againt Tati. Too bad it seems the rest of her game isn't where her serve is atm. 1 ace to 6 doubles for Maria and first serve percentage isn't that high.

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
2 aces, 6 dfs

LindsayRulz
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
It doesn't seem to affect her game though, she leads 6-0 3-0.

RenaSlam.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
It appears the serve isn't back :wink:

safii
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:38 AM
hope the shoulder does not hurt, it is not normal those doubles

Foxy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:00 AM
Titiana has never really given Maria that much trouble has she? I recall may be one time she took Maria to 3 sets 2 years ago, but I think Maria has had easy wins over her the last few times they played one another.

There isn't anything wrong with Maria's should, other than a case of the Williams Sistersitis.

heytennis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:05 AM
Titiana has never really given Maria that much trouble has she? I recall may be one time she took Maria to 3 sets 2 years ago, but I think Maria has had easy wins over her the last few times they played one another.

There isn't anything wrong with Maria's should, other than a case of the Williams Sistersitis.

Just stop posting. You are embarrasing yourself. Top players beat each other all the time, doesn't mean the next time they play they are "afraid". Was Maria afraid of Henin in the USO final after losing 4 times in a row to her?:rolleyes:

Foxy
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:12 AM
I've been saying that I don't know what's wrong with Maria's shoulder.

When she's winning, everyone brag about how her serve is working, but then when she gets beat by a Williams, then there's something wrong with her shoulder.

Now at this tournament, it's okay. Well what is it?

And your right, just because someone got beaten in a previous match doesn't mean they are gonna lose the next match. That's what I was saying at Wimbledon when Maria's shoulder was okay and her serve was fine, and it was all good until she got beat by Venus.

Then there was a shoulder problem. Now at this tournament it's okay.

I only made my comment that the only problems she seems to have is the Williams Sisteritis because a shoulder issue only comes up when she plays one of them.

densuprun
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:21 AM
I only made my comment that the only problems she seems to have is the Williams Sisteritis because a shoulder issue only comes up when she plays one of them.

5-6 against the Williams sisters hardly qualifies as a clear edge to the Williams, let alone Sisteritis.

Tennace
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:23 AM

Maria leads the h2h 5-0 now but the previous 4 matches were pretty close

2004 BIRMINGHAM GRASS (O) F M. SHARAPOVA 4-6 6-2 6-1
2005 BIRMINGHAM GRASS (O) S M. SHARAPOVA 7-5 6-1
2006 MIAMI HARD (O) S M. SHARAPOVA 6-3 6-7(5) 4-3 ret.
2006 US OPEN HARD (O) Q M. SHARAPOVA 7-6(4) 7-6(0)

schorsch
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:36 AM
their previous matches before acura were highly contested. sadly tati had to give up in one of them. but these girls always fight like crazy when they play, they played lotsa matches when growing up, so there is a friendly rivalry there :)

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:39 AM
Just stop posting. You are embarrasing yourself. Top players beat each other all the time, doesn't mean the next time they play they are "afraid". Was Maria afraid of Henin in the USO final after losing 4 times in a row to her?:rolleyes:

no but her power games works better against henin who on the right surface can be outpowered. two of henins wins were on clay and one on the slower and high bouncing rebound ace court. maria is clearly intimidated by the sisters and this is coming from a fan.

Natasc
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:47 AM
no but her power games works better against henin who on the right surface can be outpowered. two of henins wins were on clay and one on the slower and high bouncing rebound ace court. maria is clearly intimidated by the sisters and this is coming from a fan.

Nope. I think that Henin is great in any surface.
There's not a matter of Maria winning cause was on hards, of course that on clay would be very unlikely
but Henin won the USO before and loads of tournies on hardcourts and is also the number 1, which pretty much proves how great she is in any surface

I can't see Maria "feeling afraid" of anyone
'cause she would have a hell more to be afraid of Henin and Kim than the Williams

What I believe is that, what I will say will also answer the question of this threadm is that Maria "pull a Roddick".
Once she felt that her server wasn't there her whole game fall apart...mow imagine doing this agains the Williams they would dance upon her face, wnad guess what, they did it!

What I believe is that now Maria server isn't still back, is not like she's winning too much free points there, and she's still making more DFs than she should.
What I think is that know she leanr how to play well even when her sever is not there (kinda like Lena D)
She learned that just 'cause her server is not there doesn't mean that her game has to follown that...

So putting in few words: she can do better with her server than she's doing now and she knows that.