PDA

View Full Version : Taking tennis lessons...need advice

Reuchlin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:44 AM
Anyhoo, I only have enough money to pay for 4 1 hour tennis lessons with a local instructor. I guess you can say I'm a 5.0 player but haven't taken lessons in about 10 years-- so I do have some holes in my game and really have room to improve everything. How should I approach my lessons/what should I expect from my instructor and get the most out of my hard earned money?

delicatecutter
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:48 AM
I'd try to focus on volleying. I'm self-taught but that was definitely the hardest part for me to learn to even do decently.

Reuchlin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:57 AM
bump!

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:58 AM
4 lessons wont get you far. why dont you just train with in a group of 2 or 4 ?

tenn_ace
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM
I'd try to focus on volleying. I'm self-taught but that was definitely the hardest part for me to learn to even do decently.

5.0 player should have volleys.

Start with playing real points, like 4 games or so and your pro (if he is good) will figure out quickly what you need to refresh the most.

Reuchlin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:19 AM
4 lessons wont get you far. why dont you just train with in a group of 2 or 4 ?

Because it's hard (where I live) to find 2 or 4 players who are at my skill level.

Reuchlin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
5.0 player should have volleys.

Start with playing real points, like 4 games or so and your pro (if he is good) will figure out quickly what you need to refresh the most.

I do have volleys.

delicatecutter
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:42 AM
Brain-fart. If you're 5.0, shouldn't you realize what areas of your game need work?

In any case, I wish you the best of luck! I haven't been able to play tennis since the turn of the century. I recently got tennis elbow just from errantly swinging my tennis racket around my apt.

Reuchlin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
bump

V-MAC
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Don't forget to bring your "chill pills" along with you. Might come in handy ;)

SV_Fan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
PLay a round with your coach and have him tell you what you need to work onif he doesn't then your really wasting your money, because he is teaching you stuff you already know.