PDA

View Full Version : Maria Kirilenko Def. L. Safarova 6-4, 7-6(3)

Slampova
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Fantastic Result Maria. Playing really well this week. Keep it up, a QF showing at the least would be well deserved!

Rachel_
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Nooo

I expected Lucie to win this

LindsayRulz
Lucie :(

LoveFifteen
:speakles:

Craigy
Oh my god! Maria!! :hearts:

The_Pov
:eek: OMG 2 matches in a row, I must be dreaming...please say I'm not!!!

~Carsten~
:lol: and I wanted to bet 600$ on Lucie, but I was seconds too late :) wow

Congrats Maria!! ;)

TheBoiledEgg
masha :) :woohoo:

she likes playing Lucie ;)

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM
Absolutly Fantastic Maria! Keep it up!

cosmoose
Wow! Makiri wins! http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/fruit.gif

Derek.
OMG Maria! :D :hearts: :woohoo:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Bombshell !!

schorsch
OMG :D yeah ! thats fantastic. well done maria :)

Hant11
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

hablo
:eek:

Demska
I lost $20k, but I'm very happy for Maria.

Good win seeing as she has had poor results this season. 3-0 in the H2H now.

goldenlox
Lucie can be very erratic.

LCS
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:50 PM
Great win! Keep it up Maria...still sorry for Lucie she's one of my favs as well....

Alexj
I was expecting Safarova to win, but good job to Maria. Next up Jankovic. Thats going to be a good one!
__________________________________________________ ____________________

~Marion Bartoli~ Anna Chakvetadze~ Ana Ivanovic~ Jelena Jankovic~ Patty Schnyder~ Daniela Hantuchova~ Vera Zvonareva~ Dinara Safina~ Nadia Petrova~ Elena Dementieva~

Natash.
masha :) :woohoo:

she likes playing Lucie ;)

Yeah. :hearts:

3-0 now on the tour. :drool:

HenryMag.
Lucie!!! NO!!!!!

Lunaris
Just too good from Kirilenko. But it was only second Lucie's match on american hardcourts this summer, so I will take it as an excuse. Please, work on that return of yours, Lucka. :sad:

Fired
about time Maria!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Better luck next week Lucie :hug:

Sexysova
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM
MAKIRI!!! :yeah: :woohoo:

Lucka! :hug:

Jirku
lucie :sad:

if you can't win from low quality players you will never be top 10 :shrug:

Slampova
This win must really boost her confidence. I expect a strong showing in the next round... Overall, she deserves at least a QF result for her performance in San Diego this week.

Sefo
Wow!

KClijsters
Ahh congrats Mariaaaa.. :cool:
Well done!
Hope she'll get some confidence now.. :D
Keep going!!!

:woohoo:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Huge result for Maria :worship: And completely unexpected.
Lucie :hug:

Bruno71
ONE break of serve in the entire match and it went to Kirilenko. Was this a men's match? :lol:

Great job by Maria...she'll be more than a handful for JJ in the next round.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:52 PM
Nice win Makiri. It was about time that she showed something.

Keep it going!

Zombielicious
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:52 PM
Good win Makiri! Good luck in your next match!

Demska
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:53 PM
Neither women faced a BP in the 2nd set.

Rod the Bama
What a great win for Makiri. :D :clap2: This is without question her best win in a good while.

nouf
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
makiri tu as fais ma soirée! :-)

Crank
Maria Maria ----- Kirilenko :woohoo: :scared:

adrovi
María :yeah: :yeah: :woohoo:

Slumpsova
Safarova :tape:

Slampova
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:54 PM
What a great win for Makiri. :D :clap2: This is without question her best win in a good while.

Her best since she thrashed Peer earlier this year in my opinion. Although she's bagelled a few opponents in the last few months and really seems to be finding form again :)!

KClijsters
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Great Mariaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :woohoo:

Good luck next time Lucie :)

Effy
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Lucie :sad: :hug:

but Makiri needed that win :woohoo: c'mon Maria, do some damage!!!

Aug 1st, 2007, 09:56 PM
wow such an impressive win!
congratulations Little Masha :worship:
now beat that Jankovic! :armed:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:57 PM
love it :worship:

kinglear
Nooo

I expected Lucie to win this

Don't worry, Lucie is going places and makes Grand Slam quarterfinals, while Kirilenko doesn't do too much. She tries though, and she deserved to win the match. :)

Natalicious
:devil:

Vincey!
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:58 PM
Good Win Kirilenko :eek:..:yeah:
Lucie :sad:

The_Pov
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Don't worry, Lucie is going places and makes Grand Slam quarterfinals, while Kirilenko doesn't do too much. She tries though, and she deserved to win the match. :)

Oooh looks like someone's a little bitter, Makiri owns lucie's ass.

Russianboy
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Davai mashaaaa :D

Beny
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
I'm sooo happy for Maria :kiss:
She really needed this win.
I last saw Lucie against Medina in Fed Cup :o she played some crap tennis and I guess she hasn't improved since then much..

Natash.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM

We don't know what will happen in the next year or so. ;)

kinglear
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM

A little bit. haha It's just like when Dementieva loses, I feel the same way. :(

Natash.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM

:rocker2:

antonella
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:05 PM
She probably realizes now that if she doesn't advance further in these tournaments then pretty soon it'll be no more Stella McCartney for her.

Natash.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM
She probably realizes now that if she doesn't advance further in these tournaments then pretty soon it'll be no more Stella McCartney for her.

And those outfits for the US Open are :hearts:

Lunaris
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. We don't want her peaking before US Open anyway. However I still can't believe this. :(

I'm sooo happy for Maria :kiss:
She really needed this win.
I last saw Lucie against Medina in Fed Cup :o she played some crap tennis and I guess she hasn't improved since then much..
Guessing when you didn't see the match live is what I love best. Perhaps Kirilenko played really well, huh? Besides this is absolutely different competition on absolutely different surface than the Fed Cup. I will wait for next tournaments before stating Lucie plays crap.

Natash.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:18 PM

:rolleyes:

Sally Todd
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:28 PM
Lucie!:tape: No offense to Kirilenko fans, but Lucie should be able to beat her, she has way more firepower and variety. Should doesn't win matches though, and it's the bitter truth for us Lucie fans that Kirilenko owns Lucie at this point.

Get it together quick Lucie, and show your boyfriend how it's done. You're capable of more than this as US hard court goes on!

sfselesfan
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:30 PM
Did the planet stop rotating or something? How did that happen?

SF

Natash.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM
Lucie!:tape: No offense to Kirilenko fans, but Lucie should be able to beat her, she has way more firepower and variety. Should doesn't win matches though, and it's the bitter truth for us Lucie fans that Kirilenko owns Lucie at this point.

Get it together quick Lucie, and show your boyfriend how it's done. You're capable of more than this as US hard court goes on!

Variety? :confused: Really? I think Lucie definitely beats Masha in terms of firepower but I don't know about variety.

Neptune
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:34 PM
It seems like she gave up in the tie break.Bad loss for Safarova, she can be so rusty on the court sometimes.She had her chances but she didn't use them, as always.

iPatty
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM
horrible, horrible loss.

you can't lose to players like this. she hasn't really done anything noteworthy since paris, which is a bit disappointing. :sad:

hopefully she picks it up next week in la. :rolleyes:

Bijoux0021
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Kiri :bounce:

Safa :sad:

Lunaris
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
It seems like she gave up in the tie break.Bad loss for Safarova, she can be so rusty on the court sometimes.She had her chances but she didn't use them, as always.
No, in this match she didn't have any chances. :(

horrible, horrible loss.

you can't lose to players like this. she hasn't really done anything noteworthy since paris, which is a bit disappointing. :sad:

hopefully she picks it up next week in la. :rolleyes:
Do you mean Paris indoors or Roland Garros? She made 4th round at RG and played a very good match against Jankovic at Wimbledon, that's good I think. It was expected that she would't play as good as she played at Paris indoors for rest of the season. You can't beat top players on regular basis at every tournament. At least now we'll see who are the bandwagoners and who aren't.

Natash.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM

I believe she was 0/1 on Maria's serve.

Guess Lucie will have to work on her returns.

Sally Todd
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah I see what you're saying Kaeli. :) Lucie hits out too often. Way out! Especially on her returns. But in her streaks of good play, which are looking more and more like that -- streaks -- she brings more to the court. She didn't beat Mauresmo twice through power alone, she did a lot of maneuvering and smart shot placement.

The thing is, these faster US hard courts should be better for Lucie, if the Paris indoor wins over Kuzy, Nicole, and Henin counted for anything. Maria K can hit relatively hard, but I've seen her be completely overwhelmed by bigger hitters.

Good for Maria K in finding her form again after some tough months. I had a feeling this might be coming after the strong way she finished out her first round. Nothing like beating Czech players to give her confidence, I guess. :lol:

Lunaris
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:50 PM
Variety? :confused: Really? I think Lucie definitely beats Masha in terms of firepower but I don't know about variety.
Agreed, Lucie would welcome some variety to be able to use a B plan when A isn't working. But I think it will come in next years.

iPatty
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:51 PM

Do you mean Paris indoors or Roland Garros? She made 4th round at RG and played a very good match against Jankovic at Wimbledon, that's good I think. It was expected that she would't play as good as she played at Paris indoors for rest of the season. You can't beat top players on regular basis at every tournament. At least now we'll see who are the bandwagoners and who aren't.

she hasn't gone really deep in a tournament since paris (indoors).
she had a good run at roland garros, but put in a disappointing performance in the third sets against both chakvetadze and jankovic.

i think she's a fighter, she just needs to realize when to hold back. we all know her potential, and it's just sad to see her losing matches like this one.

i understand that you can't beat the top players every tournament, but kirilenko isn't a top player. she's someone who i think lucie should be able to easily beat. but maybe i just expect her to play like she did in paris all the time. :lol:

but you're right, we're beginning to see who the bandwagoners are.

LefandePatty
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:53 PM
:speakles:

Mark Spruce
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM
Well Done !!!!!!!!!!!

Lunaris
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:58 PM
she hasn't gone really deep in a tournament since paris (indoors).
she had a good run at roland garros, but put in a disappointing performance in the third sets against both chakvetadze and jankovic.

i think she's a fighter, she just needs to realize when to hold back. we all know her potential, and it's just sad to see her losing matches like this one.

i understand that you can't beat the top players every tournament, but kirilenko isn't a top player. she's someone who i think lucie should be able to easily beat. but maybe i just expect her to play like she did in paris all the time. :lol:

but you're right, we're beginning to see who the bandwagoners are.
I see your point, I believe she will learn when to hold back in next years. She's still rather inexperienced and sometimes it is visible.

but maybe i just expect her to play like she did in paris all the time. :lol:
You said it and I concur. :tape: :p

Neptune
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:00 PM

In the tie break, she was 2-0 on Maria's serve or something like that.I know, it's a little chance ;) but it's not the first time she would hit a forehand or a backhand out while she just needs to build her point.It makes me sad when she does that.

Lindsayfanumber1
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:00 PM
:sad:

ivanban
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:04 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lunaris
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:09 PM
In the tie break, she was 2-0 on Maria's serve or something like that.I know, it's a little chance ;) but it's not the first time she would hit a forehand or a backhand out while she just needs to build her point.It makes me sad when she does that.
Lucka served first in the breaker and led 1-0, after that it went downhill. Kirilenko simply outplayed her today. It's hard to take it especially for me, but it's true. Kudos to Maria for her great play. Hopefully she can repeat it against Jelena or whoever she plays next to give us a new perspective on this match.

Sally Todd
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:10 PM
but maybe i just expect her to play like she did in paris all the time. :lol:

Yeah, it'd be tough to do all the time, but a little more often? :D

When Lucie is on fire like Gold Coast or Paris indoors, there is no one like her.

I really hope she works on her return-of-serve, because she's wasting a lot of winnable matches by hitting out on every damn return. Every fan here is saying it. It's frustrating!

schorsch
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:14 PM
lunaris how come you know so much about the match ? you dont want to tell me it was on czech tv or was it ?

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:17 PM
I followed this match through Live Scoring which is very limited. There is no way you can tell how well either was playing, but if I had to guess, it was a reasonably high quality match. I could be biased since I'm rooting for Maria, but only someone who saw this match can rebut me.

Maria got an early break in the first set when Lucie was struggling with her first serve. Maria seems to be getting better at taking advantage of second serves and she got her break off of a second serve. Since that game, Maria only had one more break point, which was nullified by a Lucie ace. Lucie's first serve improved greatly as the match wore on until the 2nd set tiebreaker.

When Maria served, it was amazing that Maria kept winning on both the first and second serve. She served well to start off the first set, and gradually tapered off towards the end. However, she was winning key points off her second serve, which rarely has happened this year. She only had two or three double faults the entire match. In the second set, she gave up only one point in each of her first five service games. I can't believe she ever served this well in her career. Perhaps her new coach has something to do with that. I think it's more that her second serve has improved a lot especially since she was winning games easily in the second set while serving a low percentage.

I don't know anything about Lucie's game, whether she's a baseliner, a power hitter, or a finesse player. It'd be nice if a Lucie fan could enlighten me. I don't know why Maria has success against her. What is it about this matchup that has made it so one-sided?

The tie-breaker looked good for Lucie as she took the first two points, but then Maria reeled off 5 in a row. She did not miss a first serve in this set and she won every point where Lucie missed a serve. Perhaps this match was indeed more about Maria taking it then Lucie giving it away. Can someone tell us who has actually seen the match?

This is definitely an upset even when you look beyond the rankings and head-to-head. And we should all be at least moderately suprised of the result. Kudos to Maria for taking advantage of the best draw possible for an unseeded player. Good luck to her against Jelena. Hope she avenges that match in Birmingham!

Natash.
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:22 PM
I don't know anything about Lucie's game, whether she's a baseliner, a power hitter, or a finesse player. It'd be nice if a Lucie fan could enlighten me. I don't know why Maria has success against her. What is it about this matchup that has made it so one-sided?

Lucie is a power hitter. :)

kinglear
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Lucie is a power hitter. :)

In every sense of the word, but she does have some variety.

Natash.
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:28 PM
In every sense of the word, but she does have some variety.

Yeah but she's mostly a power player. I guess a power player with some variety. :p

Pasta-Na
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:29 PM
little maria def safa :eek:

hurricanejeanne
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Lucie :sobbing:

She's either on or off. Today seems to be one of those off days. I hope she finds some consistancy, she's so talented.

Better luck next time Lucie :hug:

Sally Todd
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the report, Ronnie.

The Acura Classic website doesn't seem to believe the real final result:

http://www.acuraclassic.com/sched-results/Results/080107_results.html

:help: :lol:

Natash.
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:51 PM
Here's a video featuring a young Masha and a young Lucie. TBE posted it a while back. :yeah:

mms://netshow.atlas.cz/juniortenis/wjtf100-2.wmv

Lunaris
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:53 PM
lunaris how come you know so much about the match ? you dont want to tell me it was on czech tv or was it ?
Oh goodness no, I was following the scoreboard. Do I make guesses? Perhaps so, but when you realize that Lucie had one breakpoint for the whole match it says a lot and gives me some sort of imagination because I know how she plays. Usually if your opponent played not so well you would have more than one BP chance for the whole match, especially in womens tennis. So I suppose Maria played well. Note that I wouldn't dare to assume anything if the scoreline was different, but I saw these close matches before, I mean in Lucie's presentation. She did well and served really well to reach the tiebreak in second set, her stats were improving with every passing service game, but Maria was just too consistent and outplayed Lucie in key moments like the tiebreak. Knowing that Maria hasn't got that good and powerful serve I think it was Lucie's return what let her down. Like it did before. And Maria took advantage of it (her service games seemed to be shorter than Lucie's ones).
Shame we can't have TV coverage from the early rounds of these Tier I's like mens Masters series tournaments got. At least some crapy live-stream would be great. Then I could say more about players I know nothing about as well.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the report, Ronnie.

The Acura Classic website doesn't seem to believe the real final result:

http://www.acuraclassic.com/sched-results/Results/080107_results.html

:help: :lol:

Haha, well, I guess Maria winning has been so rare that it'll take a while for everyone to adjust. Hopefully, this winning will keep on happening!

delicatecutter
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:58 PM
LOL ever since I took Maria out of my signature, she's been having GREAT results!! Haha I was a bad luck charm for her. :lol:

Keep it up, Maria! :yeah:

so.krist!na
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
wow Maria! :yeah: :bowdown:

Dan23
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:30 AM
nice win Maria :clap2:....a couple of good wins in a row is good to see :cool:

now make life tough for Jankovic

Dexter
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
:eek: :bounce:

Fantastic win for Masza! I lost 250k, but I'm so happy for her! :dance:

kinglear
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
:eek: :bounce:

Fantastic win for Masza! I lost 250k, but I'm so happy for her! :dance:

How do I bet on matches? I have Vcash, but I don't know how to use it. :confused:

Lunams
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
:eek: exceed my expectation more or less

:yeah:keeep on going!

Dexter
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
How do I bet on matches? I have Vcash, but I don't know how to use it. :confused:Go to the vBookie forum (http://www.wtaworld.com/vbookie.php?) then choose a match you want to bet on and amount of vCash and place it on a player you think is going to win.

RJWCapriati
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:00 AM
Great win

ASP0315
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:02 AM
Impressive serving from Masha. :bowdown:
good job.

Crazy 4 Anci
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:37 AM
oh my gosh, congrats Makiri!!!! :hug:

gary
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:41 AM
Masha :woohoo: :banana:

wukenaihe
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:41 AM
wow, go Makiri

keep it up!

selyoink
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:47 AM
Lucie really is a hit or miss player.

P_Fer
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:04 AM
great win Maria!

Sharapova's_Boy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:30 AM
Great win for Maria. :yeah:

Lucie :o

Привет
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:53 AM
Great to see Masha get a win under her belt after her poor results in recent times. Keep it going! :yeah:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:57 AM
Great work!

*Jean*
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:34 AM
Well Kiri seems to have found back her great form! It's a good sign...Congrats

Hashim.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:53 AM
great win :clap2::woohoo:

lilimi
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
i'm happy to see maria can win against good players!

disco_rage
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:15 AM
Wow, well played Maria. First impressive win in a long time!

.:sk:.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:26 AM
:eek: Makiri :woohoo:

Lucie :hug:

Poova
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
Makiri :woohoo: This is such a good win for you!

Time to take out Jankovic now. You took a set off her in Birmingham so win this time :angel:

Hellion
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
:eek: amazing win for Maria !

Lucie :sad:

PatM04
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Good win Maria:)

Beny
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:20 AM
Wow.so many posts here. of course it is a great win for Makiri.
But Lucie hasn't played the best tennis lately. Who cares. I just hope Makiri can stay consistant and win more matches ;)

Elwin.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:20 AM
Lucie :eek:

ce
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:23 AM
what

mankind
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
Lucie! Waste of talent in this match.

switz
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
this is the reason Safarova hasn't moved up much since earlier in the year. her game has such a low margin she can beat herself very easily.

good for Kirienko to get a decent win though.

aussie_fan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Well Done Maria

Bad Luck Lucie

ilovepaszek
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Good job Makiri

Josh.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
maria :yeah:

Princeza
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
:rolleyes:

Thanx4nothin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Really surprising that Maria managed to beat a decent player, maybe she has regained her focus on tennis.

Tenis Srbija
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM
Makiri :woohoo:

Topspin2
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Makiri win 6-4 7-6 :eek: WOW COOL :hearts: :kiss: :worship:

empressionist
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
really great new, especially for JJ :devil:

the cat
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
That's a fine win for Kirilenko over Safarova. This is arguably Maria's best win of the season.

Natash.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM
this is the reason Safarova hasn't moved up much since earlier in the year. her game has such a low margin she can beat herself very easily.

good for Kirienko to get a decent win though.

We don't know if she did though unless we watched the match.

CORIA01
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
Great Performance
Congrats

Reiken
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
HOLY SH#% makiri won!!!