PDA

View Full Version : at some point i think Serena will never be #1 again

Slumpsova
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:42 PM
she can win some more slams, like Monica Seles in her come back years, but she won't reach #1 again i just feel it :sad:

K-Dog
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
Serena doesn't play enough and gets injured too often to be number 1 again. Same with Venus, expect Venus doesn't play well enough on a consistent basis to get back to number 1. As one gets older, consistency tends to become harder to come by. You just can't produce that winning form day-in and day-out all the time. Youth is a beautiful thing.

LoveFifteen
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
She probably won't be #1 ever again, but that doesn't mean she won't have an illustrious career until her retirement.

Stamp Paid
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:49 PM
Yeah, at some point I dont think she will never be either. :sad:

AcesHigh
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:51 PM
I think the players who cared most about being #1 the past few years were the ones who couldn't dominate the slams.

I'm sure Justine likes being #1, but the fact that she takes a lot of breaks tells me she cares more about being healthy for slams.

DaNieLa RoCkZ
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:52 PM
She needs to play in order to improve her ranking :shrug: .. And she doesnt do that :secret:

Tennisaddict
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM
I don´t know anything can happen if Serena stays healthy for a full season. She´s 25 so the nr.1 ranking is not impossible for her to get. I would rather see her win 2+ slams a year tough.

Alexj
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM
Serena doesnt play enough to get back to #1. But i really dont think that she cares. She just wants to win in the few tournaments that she does play in!
__________________________________________________ ____________________

~Marion Bartoli~ Anna Chakvetadze~ Ana Ivanovic~ Jelena Jankovic~ Patty Schnyder~ Daniela Hantuchova~ Vera Zvonareva~ Dinara Safina~ Nadia Petrova~ Elena Dementieva~

iWill
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:00 PM
She doesn't play enough to be number 1 and honestly the only way she'll be number 1 again is to dominate in just about every tournamnent she plays so I don't mind her being number 1 because that doesnt mean you are winning slams (Davenport, Mauresmo for a while) as long as she adds 3+ more slams before she retires i'm happy and i'm sure she will be too

Beny
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:02 PM
She could be. more tournaments+far less injuries=No.1 probably.. :shrug:

But I think Justine will keep the spot long enough ;)

Donny
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:03 PM
I'll say this: If either Serena or Venus win the USO, and either win the YEC, or reach the finals, and Justine doesn't, and Justine STILL keeps her number one ranking... then rankings lose all meaning to me.

-VSR-
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:06 PM
I don't think she will either. She doesn't play enough to, but oh well. We all know all she cares about is the Slams + Miami. Maybe one year she'll play a full schedule... I can dream. :lol:

Rocketta
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:09 PM
um, at some point every past #1 will never be #1 again? Why not Serena?:scratch:

Bijoux0021
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:09 PM
She's still capable of winning Grand Slams. That's way more important than the #1 ranking.

schorsch
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:10 PM
she wouldnt deserve it either unless she wins all the slams in one season. i dislike serena for choosing only to play some tournaments and then showing up for the big titles. you dont have jetlags, you're fit and mentally fine. its so unfair to the rest of the tour. alright when injuries are involved its ok. but she wouldnt care either way so. i dont know. its just *"%*ç/ç&(*/

schorsch
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:12 PM
its called the wtatour for a reason

-VSR-
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:13 PM
she wouldnt deserve it either unless she wins all the slams in one season. i dislike serena for choosing only to play some tournaments and then showing up for the big titles. you dont have jetlags, you're fit and mentally fine. its so unfair to the rest of the tour. alright when injuries are involved its ok. but she wouldnt care either way so. i dont know. its just *"%*/&(*/

OMG!!!11!1!! i KNOW liKE yOUre So riTE!!!111!!!!111 SEErneena sSUCkss!!!!1111!11!

-VSR-
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:15 PM
its called the wtatour for a reason

YeEaHH!!! WtA ToUR 4LiFE!!!!!111111 BiTCheZZZZ!!!!111

woosey
who cares about number 1 when you can show up as the number 81 players in the world and win a slam. and on top of that, have everyone scare shitless of you.

Bruno71
Justine has 1212 points to defend the rest of this season...it's not out of the question that Serena (or Venus) could finish #1...there's still quite a bit in play.

woosey
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:19 PM
she wouldnt deserve it either unless she wins all the slams in one season. i dislike serena for choosing only to play some tournaments and then showing up for the big titles. you dont have jetlags, you're fit and mentally fine. its so unfair to the rest of the tour. alright when injuries are involved its ok. but she wouldnt care either way so. i dont know. its just *"%*/&(*/

as long as serena (and venus) can come off the bench, cold, and when a tournament, she won't play day in and day out like jankovic.

it is up to the other players on the tour to beat them and make them understand that they can't just show up and expect to win.

if the other players can't beat them, there's no reason for serena to show up with tons of match play. she knows (and they do too) that she can demolish them.

roelc
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:20 PM
well, if she stays healthy it could even happen this year
but I guess it'll probably be justine

she will have a better shot at #1 when they introduce the new system in 2009 (with all the mandatory events, comparable to the atp-rankings)

SV_Fan
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:31 PM
Never doubt a Williams Sister. Haven't yall learned that, that is wat the commentators said at Wimbledon they said if they want to win a slam they can win it if they want to be number one they can they can do anything.

Expat
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:32 PM
i dont care if venus or serena never hit no 1 again but i deffo want them to win many grand slams as possible
they dont play even 10 tournaments a year whaddya expect

schorsch
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM
thats not my point. being able to do that. to show up and win titles is certainly something most players cant do. but i feel like if you can play, if there is no injury involved you should. you should contribute to the tour and travel around and play tournaments. for the sake of the tour and the sake of the fans. all year long they wait and want them to see, but cant because of this and that and this again. etc.

Donny
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:35 PM
thats not my point. being able to do that. to show up and win titles is certainly something most players cant do. but i feel like if you can play, if there is no injury involved you should. you should contribute to the tour and travel around and play tournaments. for the sake of the tour and the sake of the fans. all year long they wait and want them to see, but cant because of this and that and this again. etc.

Serena's injured. She has been injured since WImbledon.

schorsch
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:37 PM
i know, but what the heck is wrong with that woman? she's had injuries everywhere on her body lately. first the knee (which was absolutely devasting) and then the flue and then the groin and then the thumb. its a long list O_o and most of these injuries are just fine when the GS start, hmm... she can do whatever she wants, but i still dont appreciate that from her.

Expat
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:41 PM
do you really want them to play and face racism at the rest of the tournaments
i guess they play the french only because its a grand slam

they only play at the tournaments they want and do a good job of it
its up to the rest of the players to show that they are no pushovers

well them not playing actually makes for interesting tennis
who would want them to win day in and day out
then everyone would complain that the williams sisters make the game boring

Donny
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:43 PM
i know, but what the heck is wrong with that woman? she's had injuries everywhere on her body lately. first the knee (which was absolutely devasting) and then the flue and then the groin and then the thumb. its a long list O_o and most of these injuries are just fine when the GS start, hmm... she can do whatever she wants, but i still dont appreciate that from her.

For the love of...

I didn't want to have to do this, but...

Since turning pro, Seren has missed:

Wimbledon 99
FO 00
AO 02
USO 03
AO 04
FO 05
FO 06
Wimbledon 06

She has played all four Grand Slams in a single year just twice in her nine years on tour.

schorsch
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:49 PM
wow poor girl O_O thats a really bad stat. only twice. thats crazy. what the heck ! ! ! ?

LindsayRulz
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:54 PM
I don't think she really care abour the #1 spot.

SV_Fan
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:55 PM
I think schorsh you like the Sisters and you want them to play all the time. But you must know that they are busy busy women. If they played all the time then if be like Nadal and Federer they make you wait and she has a sprained thumb and Serena ways like 145 and all that fell on her thumb so she is injured.

serenafan08
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:59 PM
Well, people said she wouldn't ever win a Grand Slam again either...

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:02 AM
nope, i dont like watching them play no matter who they are up against, venus less. i prefer watching venus over serena. but i still dont enjoy it. no matter if they win or lose. but i dont like it either when players just show up for the GS. its not like federer doesnt compete in most of the masters series events, so.

starin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
she's barely played this year outside of the slams. And it's looking like she won't play warmup b4 the USO. She'd have to win at least 2 slams in a year and play 3-4 more tournaments than she'll prolly play this year. I think she can do it. Vamos Serena.

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:06 AM
they only thing i like about their game is that they use drive-volleys. cause those are two of my favourite shots. (backhand and forehand) i use them as well. the rest i dont like.

starin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM
nope, i dont like watching them play no matter who they are up against, venus less. i prefer watching venus over serena. but i still dont enjoy it. no matter if they win or lose. but i dont like it either when players just show up for the GS. its not like federer doesnt compete in most of the masters series events, so.

u mean u don't like the fact that Jankovic plays all day everyday and is supposedly the "hottest" player on tour but still doesn't have a slam or even a slam final. While Serena and Venus barely play and have each won a slam this year.

And by, I don't like their games you really mean I don't like that they're black.

ohhh but lemme gues u're not racist cuz you like James Blake. lol.

pooh14
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:15 AM
i think players who have reached no1 before don't really bother if they are no1 again or not.

they prioritize more for Slams.

frenchie
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:20 AM
She won't reach #1 again if she plays like 8 tournaments a year!

12 should be enough

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:21 AM
i used to root for blake, but he just simply plays shit lately. wasting opportunities etc. always being a mental midgit. but he's funny and really nice. like when he was on jay leno.
so vee and ree are black. who cares? i dont know. still they just dont look good to me. aliyah was beautiful, rihanna is cute. but vee and ree simply arent imo.

Lunaris
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:22 AM
With this ranking system that favors players who play a lot she indeed won't. It's clear, she is getting older and her body can't take playing sufficient number of tournaments to become no.1. Consider that Justine always wins at least one GS, reaches semis and better at others and plays more tournaments than Serena. The way is blocked for her, no doubt about it. But I am just repeating other posters' posts in this thread.

WF4EVER
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:24 AM
I long for the day when we won't have more threads stating the obvious

This thread applies to every current player who has ever been No. 1

starin
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:30 AM
i used to root for blake, but he just simply plays shit lately. wasting opportunities etc. always being a mental midgit. but he's funny and really nice. like when he was on jay leno.
so vee and ree are black. who cares? i dont know. still they just dont look good to me. aliyah was beautiful, rihanna is cute. but vee and ree simply arent imo.

:hearts: the racist's credo!!

I'm not Racist I think Halle Berry is pretty!!! :tape:

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:35 AM
i dont like halle berry neither do i think she's pretty.

Morrissey
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:42 AM
Serena doesn't care about being no.1 anymore. Serena's been there done that. Serena does care about winning more grand slams and so far Serena has EIGHT SLAMS. Lindsay Davenport has been no.1 a lot but she only has THREE SLAMS. And at the end of the day Davenport will be known as an underachiever and not a great champion like Serena Williams. Davenport is not even in the same league as Williams Sisters, or Justine Henin. Those three have SIX SLAMS and MORE.

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
so why does serena care about being the ao champion again where's serena's been there done that. when she doesnt want to get the nr. 1 rank back where she's been before done that ? :haha:

Craigy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:51 AM
Serena would like to be #1 again, but she isn't dying to be #1. If she ever gets to #1 great, but if she doesn't it's not like she's gonna cry a river over it.

oceandrive
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
Serena is almost the same age as the players who slog to keep the tour alive.I think the WTA should make it mandatory for every player to play at least a tournament before slams so that some players wont have to show up at slams only.Serena has withdrawn from a lot of tournaments its not even funny the next thing she is at a party.I think Venus will pass Serena in GS before she calls it a day she seems to enjoy sports even though she was losing she kept on playing.If she was seriously injured why did she play Justine she could have habitually withdrawn.I think she is healed she is just a lazy player thats all.I like Serena but her sporadic play is just frustrating for her fans.I hope Venus wins the USA open and win more because she is reliable.

delicatecutter
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:35 AM
I'll say this: If either Serena or Venus win the USO, and either win the YEC, or reach the finals, and Justine doesn't, and Justine STILL keeps her number one ranking... then rankings lose all meaning to me.

Over the years, many times the rankings have had little meaning to me. Especially right now with Sharapova the #2 player in the world. I don't know any sane person who would say she is currently the #2 best player in the world. I think they should change the rankings to make them over 6 months or something.

I miss quality points. I also don't like it when a player is #1 without being the current holder of a Slam.

But oh well, it is what it is.

hablo
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:40 AM
I long for the day when we won't have more threads stating the obvious

This thread applies to every current player who has ever been No. 1

Exactly.

mykarma
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
Since you don't like watching them anyway, what's your itch. This is there life and it's up to them to decide how they want to live it. As a fan of both of the sisters I don't have a problem with the number of tournaments they play as long as they continue to get the wonderful results that they've been getting up to now. I just hope that your favorite gives you half the joy that the sisters have given me.

sammy01
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:45 AM
am i the only thats still confused about the topic title i just dont get it?
its just so random if you go along those lines then the topics 'at some point i think serena will never be 25 again' 'at some point i think serena will never be a tennis player again' are viable topics!

friendsita
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:01 AM
I think she doesn't care about the rankings, she just want to win slams and as long as she plays she will get them... so... it doesn't bother me.

venusallday
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:07 AM
I agree with mykarma. I love Venus so much it isn't right. It has been so hard being a fan of hers, but I know that she really loves tennis. She really wants to put her all into it. That's why I pray that she stays healthy. Of course I want her to win, but I also want her healthy more. Venus loves tennis. She has played a full schedule since march this year, and I have been quite happy because of it. I see her becoming number one very soon with the confidence she gained from Wimby. I'm not so sure about Serena's chances at the moment. She gets injured way too much, and I believe some of that is her own doing somehow.

StarDuvallGrant
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:26 AM
Don't care about the #1 ranking, give me more Serena slams.

Brooks.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:24 AM
I don't think Serena really cares about the ranking...I know she says she does but I really think she could care less if the computer says shes #1 again or not. If she did care, she would play more. As long as she keeps winning slams I don't really care what she's ranked to be honest.

I think Venus cares more about the ranking than Serena does.

PLP
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:33 AM
Well, I disagree. Anything can happen. Serena could get the #1 ranking back...and so could Venus for that matter, but they would have to have completely injury-free seasons, which would be nice!

iWill
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
Serena is almost the same age as the players who slog to keep the tour alive.I think the WTA should make it mandatory for every player to play at least a tournament before slams so that some players wont have to show up at slams only.Serena has withdrawn from a lot of tournaments its not even funny the next thing she is at a party.I think Venus will pass Serena in GS before she calls it a day she seems to enjoy sports even though she was losing she kept on playing.If she was seriously injured why did she play Justine she could have habitually withdrawn.I think she is healed she is just a lazy player thats all.I like Serena but her sporadic play is just frustrating for her fans.I hope Venus wins the USA open and win more because she is reliable.

Because it was Wimbledon and even injured Serena had a chance to beat Justine on grass but I do agree about her play being a lil annoying at times but honestly Serena has never played a lot of tournaments even when she first started shes one of those players that has her favortite tourneys that she plays then she plays the slams and even though she doesnt play alot shes still more consistent then Vee thats why she can afford to play less cuz she typically won't lose early if she was going out in the first couple rounds every tourney i guarantee she'd play alot more

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:56 AM
Well these days, there is number one and then there are the "best" players on the tour. They aren't always reflected by the WTA points (that determine the rankings). Which is disappointing. I miss the race for number one from years long ago past. But injuries have changed the game.

winone23
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:34 AM
I really don't care if Serena is number one again, as long as she keeps winning slams, I have no complaints.

tennisbear7
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Who cares about #1 when you can win slams?

Dawn Marie
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:17 AM
Venus and Serena will be #1 again! Mark my words! I will BUMP this thread when Venus or whomever gets it first regains the top spot! IT WILL HAPPEN! :-)

Slumpsova
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Who cares about #1 when you can win slams?
really?
i actually prefer being #1 for 500 weeks than winning slams. am i weird? :o

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Serena would like to be #1 again, but she isn't dying to be #1. If she ever gets to #1 great, but if she doesn't it's not like she's gonna cry a river over it.

:devil: I love you craig :)