PDA

View Full Version : Justine and Jelena qualify for Madrid. Who will grab the other 6 spots?

Vlad Tepes
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:43 PM
It's on the wtatour website, here's a quote from the world #1:

"I have excellent memories of playing in Madrid last year and winning the Sony Ericsson Championships," said the 25-year-old. "The title meant a lot to me as I hadn't played since the US Open. I was unsure of how I would do, yet I wound up beating the Top 2 players Mauresmo and Sharapova to finish the year No.1. I am proud of the fact that for the second year in a row, I am the first to qualify for the Sony Ericsson Championships as one of the elite eight singles players and can't wait to go back there and be a part of that special atmosphere."

:bounce: :kiss: :worship:

Max565
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:45 PM
Well done to them...

Only six places left... Martina better start raking the points in ! :lol: ;)

Alexj
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM
i wonder who will get the last 6 spots. It's gonna be interesting!
__________________________________________________ ____________________

~Marion Bartoli~ Anna Chakvetadze~ Ana Ivanovic~ Jelena Jankovic~ Patty Schnyder~ Daniela Hantuchova~ Vera Zvonareva~ Dinara Safina~ Nadia Petrova~ Elena Dementieva~

RJWCapriati
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:54 PM
V. Williams
S. Williams
M. Hingis
D. Safina
P. Schnyder
A. Ivanovic

For the last 6 :)

Bruno71
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:56 PM
The top 8 as they stand now seems about right.

Shepster
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM
The other 6? Provided Venus plays a couple of big-ish tournaments post-US Open then I don't see it being anything other than the top 8 as it is at the moment. The only way anyone else gets in is through volume of tournaments.

Vlad Tepes
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:02 PM
The other 6? Provided Venus plays a couple of big-ish tournaments post-US Open then I don't see it being anything other than the top 8 as it is at the moment. The only way anyone else gets in is through volume of tournaments.

Doesn't Venus' Wimbledon title guarantee that she gets a spot as long as she finishes the race in the top 20? Or is this rule obsolete?

JeLeNaJfAn
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:02 PM
jelena :hearts: : great news, but you have deserve it!
I love U ;) *haha* btw. good luck in SD, LA & Toronto:angel: !!!
hmm:rolleyes: ...the last 6 places?
ana ivanovic srb(for sure:mad: )
maria sharapova rus:D
serena williams usa:help:
svetlana kuznetsova rus:p
venus williams usa(she´s back):eek:
nicole vaidisova cze(if she recovered well and fast):sad:
if she doesn´t than anna chakvetadze rus:confused:

But for sure jelena take it for sure:worship: :bounce:

Kampi
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:09 PM
Indeed very nice news for Jelena and Justine.:D:kiss: Expected, but nice to achieve that early.:)

No.1Hingis
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
1.-A. Ivanovic
2.-S. Kuznetsova
3.-S. Williams
4.-M. Sharapova
5.-V. Williams
6.-M. Hingis / N.Petrova / A. Mauresmo

evan2907
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
The other 6 spots ?
Svetlana, Ivanovic, Serena (if not injured), Chakvetadze, Sharapova and the last maybe Venus or Vaidisova.

Shepster
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM
Doesn't Venus' Wimbledon title guarantee that she gets a spot as long as she finishes the race in the top 20? Or is this rule obsolete?
Ooh, I don't know, if that is the case then it's game over as nobody's getting in apart from that.

LCS
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM
Elena will get one the last spots...it's tradition...:P Come on Elena!

AcesHigh
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM
Venus and Serena are pretty much guaranteed as long as they don't injure themselves I think. I just can't see how they can come down so much from their current form.

Kuznetsova and Ivanovic are locks too I think. I think Chakvetadze will def. make it. If Sharapova doesn't improve her form.. she'll have to fight it out with Mauresmo, Vaidisova and Hingis who I believe will all have good second halves of the season.

Europe rocks
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Provided they both play a decent amount, Venus and Serena will probably be up there. It would be nice to see Dani back at the champs and no end of year event would be complete without Lena D. Maybe if she reached it she could win a couple of matches

iWill
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:57 PM
Serena Williams- she'll make it as long as she plays Toronto and New Haven or both and then the USO then shes gotta play 1 or 2 events after the USO and she'll make it but if she is still hurt her spot is really in jeopardy

Venus Williams- she has no points to defend from now on so she won't have any pressure to do well so she should make it as long as she stays healthy

Maria- she's always consistent so I dont see her being left out of the championships

Amelie- she still hasnt gotten her confidence back and if she can' turn things around soon she'll be in trouble but she always usually plays alot after the USO so she should claim a spot as well

Ivanovic-shes already 3rd in the race so just a few more solid results and she'll be in as well

Kuznetsova- If history has any indication she'll be there she hasnt had a bad year so far so I dont see why she won't make it

Possibles

Anna C.- she's got some good results this year and looks to be a shoe in to make it if she keeps up this form plus since most of the top players won't play every event at the end of the year she should make it because

Vaidisova- I would like to see her make it but shes going to need some pretty good results or some players ahead of her to not play as much

frenchie
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:58 PM
Ivanovic
Serena
Venus
Kuznetsova
Chakvetadze
Hingis/Sharapova

Donny
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM

From wikipedia's article on the Master's cup:

s with the Masters and the ATP Tour World Championships, the Tennis Masters Cup is contested by eight players. However under the rules of the Tennis Masters Cup, the player who is ranked number eight in the ATP Champion's Race world rankings does not have a guaranteed spot. If a player who wins one of the year's Grand Slam events finishes the year ranked outside the top eight but still within the top 20, he can be included in the Tennis Masters Cup instead of the eight-ranked player. If two players outside the top eight win Grand Slam events, the higher placed player in the world rankings will take the final spot in the Tennis Masters Cup.

That, of course, if for the ATP. No idea if its the same for the women's year end championship.

What would be funny, though, is if both the WS fall out of the top ten, and Venus somehow finishes the season with a higher rank than Serena. She'd get the eighth spot over lil sis.

Two GS champions not in the top eight fighting over the last spot in the YEC. That'd be interesting, to say the least.

IF that stipulation even exists.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
i think the current top 8 will be the eventual qualifiers
henin and janko

plus

ana, sveta, serena, chaky, masha and venus

i hope chakvetadze doesnt qualify-i think she'll be the new dementieva ie she'll just get whupped-i would like to see vaida take a spot but im not sure thats possible with the injuries/illness shes had this year, maybe '08 :)

Beny
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:10 PM
Well deserved for them!
Venus seems to really care about her tennis/Rankings/tournaments/YEC this year. I'm sure she'll get there.

Justine
Jelena
Venus
Serena
Chakvetadze
Ivanovic
Sharapova
............................(I'd love Elena to grab that spot)..Kuzzie has a chance and Daniela said her main goal is to get to YEC, that's all what she's been working so hard for.and she's still working hard to get there. She said in some Slovak interview when she was here,playing FC..she probably said that anywhere else :)
It'll be very difficult for Lena to get there this year.The most difficult out of last couple of years.MOre difficult than in 2005..and that was sth.. ;)

Beny
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM
I think Elena will get there if some two of the TOP 8 are injured or so...

sfselesfan
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM
J. Henin
J. Jankovic
V. Williams
S. Williams
A. Ivanovic
A. Chakvetadze
S. Kuznetsova
M. Sharapova

SF

starin
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:59 PM
I would have said Serena was guaranteed but she's played so very little outside the slams. She's only played 2 tournaments that were not mandatory this year :eek:

I'm sorry but it'll be joke again of the YEC is like 2005 with 2/4 slam winner aren't in the championships. I'm sure Petrova will tournament hog all through the indoor season and somehow qualify.

jdyshrky
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM
Can someone please outline the procedure for qualification and why some players have already qualified..I'm somewhat in the dark in this area, I even know more about the mens YEC tham the ladies. Can someone please shed some light on the way it works?

Donny
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:32 PM
Can someone please outline the procedure for qualification and why some players have already qualified..I'm somewhat in the dark in this area, I even know more about the mens YEC tham the ladies. Can someone please shed some light on the way it works?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the logic is this: JJ and Henin have racked so many points up during the race that's it literally impossible for either of them to land outside the top eight before the YEC.

When you realize that the USO hasn't veen been played yet, this is indeed and accomplishment.

felipe2004
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:51 PM
Whoever finishes in the Top 8 in the Race qualifies (there is no special rule for GS champs, like in the men's tournament). The Race is very simple: they add the points earned in all WTA tournaments throughout the year. Justine and Jelena have qualified because there is no mathmatical way that they won't be top 8 before the YEC (even if they don't play at all and all players below them win everything left). The current top 20 in the Race are:
1 HENIN, JUSTINE BEL 3245.00 9
2 JANKOVIC, JELENA SRB 2990.00 18
3 IVANOVIC, ANA SRB 2431.00 13
4 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS2161.00 12
5 WILLIAMS, SERENA USA 2141.00 7
6 CHAKVETADZE, ANNA RUS 1910.00 14
7 SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS 1785.00 8
8 WILLIAMS, VENUS USA 1630.00 8
9 HANTUCHOVA, DANIELA SVK 1588.00 16
10 BARTOLI, MARION FRA 1421.00 19
10 VAIDISOVA, NICOLE CZE 1421.00 9
12 MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA 1406.00 11
13 SAFINA, DINARA RUS 1336.00 14
14 PETROVA, NADIA RUS 1288.00 13
15 PEER, SHAHAR ISR 1257.00 14
16 HINGIS, MARTINA SUI 1186.00 10
17 SCHNYDER, PATTY SUI 1084.00 16
18 BAMMER, SYBILLE AUT 1065.00 16
19 DEMENTIEVA, ELENA RUS 966.00 11
20 GOLOVIN, TATIANA FRA 960.00 10

Full Race here: http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/race/singles.asp

felipe2004
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Whoever finishes in the Top 8 in the Race qualifies (there is no special rule for GS champs, like in the men's tournament). The Race is very simple: they add the points earned in all WTA tournaments throughout the year. Justine and Jelena have qualified because there is no mathmatical way that they won't be top 8 before the YEC (even if they don't play at all and all players below them win everything left). The current top 20 in the Race are:
9 HANTUCHOVA, DANIELA SVK 1588.00 16
10 BARTOLI, MARION FRA 1421.00 19
10 VAIDISOVA, NICOLE CZE 1421.00 9
12 MAURESMO, AMELIE FRA 1406.00 11
13 SAFINA, DINARA RUS 1336.00 14
14 PETROVA, NADIA RUS 1288.00 13
15 PEER, SHAHAR ISR 1257.00 14
16 HINGIS, MARTINA SUI 1186.00 10
17 SCHNYDER, PATTY SUI 1084.00 16
18 BAMMER, SYBILLE AUT 1065.00 16
19 DEMENTIEVA, ELENA RUS 966.00 11
20 GOLOVIN, TATIANA FRA 960.00 10

Full Race here: http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/rankings/race/singles.asp

delicatecutter
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:08 AM
Ana, Sveta, Serena, Venus, Anna, Maria (unfortunately :p)

RenaSlam.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
Certainly not Hingis.

ZeroSOFInfinity
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:24 AM
Already at Mount Everest
Jelena
Justine

About to reach the summit
Ana
Sveta
Serena

At Halfway Point of Their Climb
Chakvetadze
Maria
Venus

At the beginning stages
Daniela
Marion
Nicole

Haven't started their climb yet
Mauresmo
Safina
Petrova
Peer
Martina
Patty

Looking at envy (because they couldn't climb the mountain)
Everyone else

Currently on Honeymoon
Kim Clijsters

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:46 AM
V. Williams
S. Williams
M. Hingis
D. Safina
P. Schnyder
A. Ivanovic

your jooking right. sharapova has a better shot than hingis,safina and schnyder.

realistically the 8 who qualify will be (in no particular order):henin,serena,jankovic,sharapova,venus,ivano vic,kuznetsova, and chakvetadze

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:48 AM
i think the current top 8 will be the eventual qualifiers
henin and janko

plus

ana, sveta, serena, chaky, masha and venus

i hope chakvetadze doesnt qualify-i think she'll be the new dementieva ie she'll just get whupped-i would like to see vaida take a spot but im not sure thats possible with the injuries/illness shes had this year, maybe '08 :)

i agree with everything you said. i would like for nicole to get in but she proababl wont since she has missed so much. of the eight women chakvetadze is th emost likely followed b kuznetsova to lose all of her round ribon matches.

plantman
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:51 AM
I would have said Serena was guaranteed but she's played so very little outside the slams. She's only played 2 tournaments that were not mandatory this year :eek:

I'm sorry but it'll be joke again of the YEC is like 2005 with 2/4 slam winner aren't in the championships. I'm sure Petrova will tournament hog all through the indoor season and somehow qualify.

and if she (Petrova)enters and wins or makes the finals of these tournaments, :bounce: :bounce: she will have earned her spot at the Y.E.C.... More power to her!:)

SV_Fan
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:03 AM
3 IVANOVIC, ANA SRB
2431.00 13
4 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA RUS
2161.00 12
5 WILLIAMS, SERENA USA
2141.00 7
6 CHAKVETADZE, ANNA RUS
1910.00 14
7 SHARAPOVA, MARIA RUS
1785.00 8
8 WILLIAMS, VENUS USA
1630.00 8
9 HANTUCHOVA, DANIELA SVK
1588.00 16
10 BARTOLI, MARION FRA
1421.00 19
10 VAIDISOVA, NICOLE CZE
1421.00 9

3,4,5,6 I think are basically guranteed and I think vee has already made it I think ree might need to work a little harder and then she'll make it.

venusallday
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:10 AM
I think we are seeing another two grand slam year from Venus. Also, I really think that she is trying to be number one again. With no points to defend, I think she'll be 3 by the end of the year, and 1 by the time Miami rolls around next year.

That being said, the last six to qualify will be:

Venus
Serena
Kuzzy
Ivanovic
Chavetadze
and Maria (she won't defend any of her points leading up to it though. I think she will have enough in reserve, though.)

Hashim.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:44 AM
:woohoo::dance:
great news...:worship: :D

Mightymirza
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:49 AM
serenawil qualifybut would she play?? :tape:

Kunal
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
hope to see ivanovic and the williams sisters make it!

would make for some cracking tennis

Drake1980
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Jeca has qualified already:eek:
That's amazing:hearts:

So Disrespectful
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Funny how no one gives Hantuchova a shot. If she beats Venus here she's already in one of the positions.

Poova
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:22 AM
Ana
Sveta
Serena
Anna
Maria
Daniela

:wavey: The other 6.

Chrisi
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:26 AM
I guess there will be no Mauresmo and no Hingis :rolleyes:

kadirelf
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
Venus
Serena
Hingis
Kuznetsova
İvanovic
Vaidisova

saki
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Ivanovic is almost there already.

Anna is going to make it if she continues to schedule well - she's going to clean up very well in the generally weak indoor season.

Sveta should make it quite comfortably - 2161 points already.

After that, it becomes harder to predict.

Serena has a load of points already but I'm not convinced that she'll play after the US Open this year. If some of the players ranked just below her make a big push to qualify, there's a chance that they'll get in over her.

Sharapova is #7 in the race at the moment and, again, she doesn't tend to play a very full schedule so she too might miss out.

Venus is #8 and, again, could be overtaken by a player who plays more tournaments. (Although, it has to be said that Venus has played a fairly full schedule so far this year so maybe she'll continue.)

I think Hantuchova is in with a good shot of qualifying this year. She's in decent form, she plays well indoors. She can pick up a lot of points from here on out and she's already in the #9 spot.

Until the glandular fever, I thought Vaidisova would make it this year. Maybe not now, depending on how she recovers from it.

Bartoli, like Anna, schedules well. If she really wants to qualify, I think she might make it.

It's hard to predict the last three spots but I reckon it'll be: Ivanovic, Anna, Sveta, Sharapova, Venus, Hantuchova.

Russianboy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
V. Williams
S. Williams
M. Hingis
D. Safina
P. Schnyder
A. Ivanovic

:help: without sharapova? :smash:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
I hope Ana and Dani can make it!

Maria Croft
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:00 AM
I think Ivanovic is as good as in.

The Williams sisters as well because they won slams this year.

I would go for Sharapova, Kuznetsova and Vaidisova for the last 3 spots.

Just Do It
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Jelenak :banana:

Henin
Ivanovic
Williams S.
Sharapova
Hingis
Chakvatadze
Williams V.

Petersmiler
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
Wow Justine! Despite missing the Aussie, and before the US has even started, she has qualified!

With just 9 tournaments!

Vlad Tepes
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
It really looks like this year Elena Dementieva will fail to qualify. Oh well, after so many unconvincing participations it's only fair someone else gets a chance.
As for the other 6, I'd go for: Serena, Venus, Maria, Ana, Sveta and Anna. This is of course barring any injuries, which does not happen all that often. If 1-2 of the top 8 will sit out the YEC, than Bartoli, Hingis, Hantuchova and Mauresmo fill fight it out for the vacant spots.

roelc
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
no way the 8 best on the race will all play the masters this year!
and everyone seems to forget there still are a lot of points to gain
it would be very coincidental if the current top-8 will be the top-8 at the end of the year
I hope daniela can qualify but she really needs to get a US open quarterfinal (to reach the masters without GS quarterfinal is a bit weird I think)

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:14 AM

ATP rule :) would be nice on the WTA though

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
I say the current other 6 with a few of the positions changed around after US Open :shrug:

In The Zone
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Venus and Serena are pretty much guaranteed as long as they don't injure themselves I think. I just can't see how they can come down so much from their current form.

Kuznetsova and Ivanovic are locks too I think. I think Chakvetadze will def. make it. If Sharapova doesn't improve her form.. she'll have to fight it out with Mauresmo, Vaidisova and Hingis who I believe will all have good second halves of the season.

Agreed. Venus looks like the favorite in San Diego and a lock to go far at the US. If she can commit to a few fall tournaments, she is in safely.
Serena may be on the outs unless she can remain healthy and perform well in the fall.

From 9-16 in the Race, all of those girls have a shot. It depends on who steps up. With Mauresmo's so called "break" in the fall, I am watching for Hingis or Vaidisova to step up and capture that last spot.

frontier
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
There are some players who just make up the numbers at this event,they lose every match,it will be great if the list goes like this:
Henin
jelena
serena
maria
venus
hingis
svetlana
mauresmo
That will make an exciting event.

Vlad Tepes
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
I agree with frontier, his list looks :hearts: :drool: However, it doesn't seem very likely that all those players will show up even if they qualify.

Morrissey
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:48 PM
Who cares about the YEC? It certainly doesn't mean much at the end of the career. I mean you have losers like one slam wonder Sabatini and Zero slam winner Pam Shriver doing well at YEC. I think at the end of the career the YEC is just like all the other tour results. The only thing that matters is the grand slams.

justine&coria
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Who cares about the YEC? It certainly doesn't mean much at the end of the career. I mean you have losers like one slam wonder Sabatini and Zero slam winner Pam Shriver doing well at YEC. I think at the end of the career the YEC is just like all the other tour results. The only thing that matters is the grand slams.
Uhm, I care, and most tennis fans care, simply because it's the tournament where the bests face each other. :rolleyes:

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
There are some players who just make up the numbers at this event,they lose every match,it will be great if the list goes like this:
Henin
jelena
serena
maria
venus
hingis
svetlana
mauresmo
That will make an exciting event.

it would be exciting but dont you think hingis would lose to every you have listed except maybe svetlana. we dont need another dementieva.

Vlad Tepes
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Uhm, I care, and most tennis fans care, simply because it's the tournament where the bests face each other. :rolleyes:

Spot on! :yeah:

Vlad Tepes
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
it would be exciting but dont you think hingis would lose to every you have listed except maybe svetlana. we dont need another dementieva.

Hingis has beaten all those players in the past and if she can regain her form she could well do it again. Anyway, if she's not back at her best she won't even qualify for the YEC.

Morrissey
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
In the history books at the end of a career the grand slams matter more then the YEC. Its not that important an event.

ewbangkok
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM

These 8 players will qualify....no hingis,no dementieva,no pretova,no vadisova...this year is not their time

alexia1huff
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
most likely both williams sisters, but I HOPE NOT!!!

otherwise not in order:
ivanovic
sharapova
chakvetadze
kuzetsova
and really hope for hantuchova!!!!
if either of williamses is injured she will get in, so there is quiet a chance
reserve list:
vaidisova