PDA

View Full Version : Why are "some" posters

Infiniti2001
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:20 AM
writing Venus Williams off??:eek:

Despite losing to Serena 3 times in a row, she's still way above everyone else as far as I am concerned... Once again, people take IMMEDIATE results as if they're set in stone. It's almost not worth considering.
You see it over and over- one tournament, one match, one or two results are treated as if they are eternal and unchanging.

Two months from now serena could be in an awful slump and venus could have done some work and be trashing everyone.
Not too long ago Venus herself was on a 35 match winning streak...
Remember this time last year??? Hingis was so far in the lead on #1 that it seemed like no one could catch her no matter how much she lost.

I don't know Venus personally, but she seems to have an uncommon will to win--- so please do not expect the current trend to continue :P

Asmus
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Absolutely! The Wimbledon final was so close, and Venus will be very determined to beat Serena next time they play. If anyone can beat Serena, it's her. GO VENUS!

Volcana
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Infiniti - The current trend will not continue. Venus will win the US Open. My faith is total. She just needed to see that her little bird had truly grown her wings and was flying on her own. Venus has been Serena's protector all her life. It takes time to relinquish a role like that. I figure it'll take about six more weeks.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:29 AM
I second what Volcana said on this one.

Venus will win the US Open.

Lisbeth
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:31 AM
I agree it's ridiculous to write Venus off. Some people just seem to enjoy doom and gloom.

TeeRexx
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:29 AM
VENUS is always the true Goddess of Tennis. :)

irma
Jul 9th, 2002, 06:48 AM
If they write Venus off then they can write the other 126 players who lost in the french and wimbledon,and earlier as her, off too!

harloo
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:33 AM
I really don't think anyone is writing Venus off. It's just when Venus or another top player loses in a slam final, a few who dislike that player starts calling for their retirement.

Basically, it will be interesting to see who will come out on top in the end. Both ladies are so close right now, but I think Serena will remain #1 until the end of the year. Vee needs to work on that serve, because if she has to face Rena at the Open that will be a liability.

I actually thought Vee's serve was better in last years final against Justine. This year it just wen't off at the wrong times. I think she became a little comfortable knowing that she can beat everyone except her sister even if she doesn't serve that well. Now I think you will see her stepping up so she can challenge Serena. She will get more serious, and we will see a real battle if they meet up again. If both are playing at their highest level, either sister can win.

SerenasMelons
Jul 9th, 2002, 08:15 AM
I don't think anyone is writing Venus off..its just the bashers are at full force, especially during, and right after a grand slam is complete.

I am a big Hingis Fan, as well as a Williams Fan (I think a rarity on this board). When Hingis was having trouble, it was against almost all the hard hitters. She would breeze through a GS draw, then hit a top 4 player in the semi's and be punished. It was sad to see. Every wroter her off. I hope she can become competitive with the big babes again when she returns.

With Venus, its not nearly as bad. She only lost 3 times to THE HOTTEST PLAYER ON THE TOUR!! And with each loss, she they were closer matches. NASDAQ was completely a onesided match. The french Open was competitive in the1st set, and fizzled in the 2nd. WImbledon was highly competitive, and the only thing that made Venus lose was her serve began to stop working for her.

Given that she has room to improve, and she can definitely rally with Serena and hit as hard, there is no reason to write her off.

This is a woman who, when her sister one-upped her by taking the first Grandslam in the family, she went on a tear of 35 straight matches the next year. Now Serena has the upperhand again. But for how long this time?

Williams Rulez
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:54 AM
It is fashionable to write players off after they lose a few finals, and even more fashionable to tell players to retire after more loses.

moby
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:04 AM
which reminds me of starsports commentator nirupama... :rolleyes:

Crazy Canuck
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:08 AM
"I don't think anyone is writing Venus off..its just the bashers are at full force, especially during, and right after a grand slam is complete."

Actually oddly enough, a lot of the people posting the threads were not just 'bashers', but fans of both.

Williams Rulez
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by easy
which reminds me of starsports commentator nirupama... :rolleyes: lol...

Kart
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:35 AM
I'm not writing Venus off by any means, but it's clear to me that she had no answers to Serena on Saturday.

I could understand the French open final - after all, Venus is still lacking a bit of confidence on clay IMHO and probably she was very happy for her sister.

Wimbledon though ? I mean everyone thought that Venus was out for revenge and grass is her surface after all she has won here twice. However, Serena was too good this time and I'm afraid I don't buy into any of these excuses about Venus wanting to protect her sister - she wanted that title badly, you could see it. She just didn't have the game to take it.

Basically what I'm saying is that Venus is the no.2 player in the world, better than anybody other than Serena. Of course she's very likely to win the US open, but if she runs into her sister in the same kind of form then I predict the same result as before. Unless Venus works on her weaknesses between now and then or Serena has a serious dip in form.

babsi
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:32 PM
I read somewhere that if Venus is in the same situation 12 months from now she could be thinking of retirement as she doesn't want to be 'just' a number 2 player.

Raisin
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by babsi
I read somewhere that if Venus is in the same situation 12 months from now she could be thinking of retirement as she doesn't want to be 'just' a number 2 player.

And where exactly did you read that:rolleyes:

babsi
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Whatever, I read it in the Mirror the other day, go and find the link yourself because I think it has gone now, now that is if you believe me or not:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TSequoia01
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Venus understands that she must work hard on her serve. Until she improves that weakness in her game she is vunerable. Of course her shoulder may have been injured at Wimbie because she started off the fortnight (I just had to say that) serving well. Serena really has no weakness, she can improve in many areas but has no real deficiency. That just gives her the edge right now. However, Venus very well could take the Open because she will be extremely motivated. A motivated Venus is one helluva tennis player. :cool:

Ryan
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:00 PM
I don't tihkn I'm writing Venus off, I think her and Serena will be the ones in the Us Open final. I do think, that she looked devastated in her press conferance and their doubles final though. IF she is still like that at the US Open(highly unlikely) then I think a player like Jen could beat her, maybe.

harloo
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Ryan, please! Venus is 4-0 against Jen, and Venus would have no problem putting Jen away. Her off court demeanor never affects her once she gets on the court against someone else. I knew she would be down after losing in the finals, and at her doubles match she looked despondent. However, put someone other than her sister across the net and she will most likely take them out.

Hey Ryan, maybe she will be so despondant that Martina will beat her again. I know that would make you happy, but it's highly unlikely.

Weevee
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:39 PM
I am a Williams fan but first and foremost a Venus fan. I don't think it is a matter of serves. They know each others serve very well. But, as Venus says, Serena plays high risk tennis, (especially against competitive opponents) she blasts away at first or second serves and puts her opponent on the defensive. With high risk tennis a player will lose sometimes but whoever Serena plays the result is on her racket.
If Venus plays like Serena the match is quickly over and it is another error-filled Williams final. My advice to Serena is to forget the high risk tennis and give the crowds the entertainment they want.

Becool
Jul 9th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Weevee, like Williams_Rulez said before, why change something that it's working for Serena? That is playing a high risk tennis..?

I think that who needs to change the game is Venus, cause it's not working against Serena. I think what is causing her problems is her serve. Just work the serve and Venus will be a dominant player again. But time will tell if she will be dominant ALONE or together with SERENA. I hope both dominate together :p

Jakeev
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:58 PM
The Wimbledon final was tense but not that close. Serena definitely was in charge of that match. Venus had to be virtually on the defensive constantly just to come up with one of the 11 winners she had in the match.

Expect more of the same from Serena at the US Open!!!!

venusfan
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:19 AM
How dare anyone to write Venus off.. To me she is the best tennis player in the world. I think at Wimbledon she just lost her damb concentration and the reason why Serena won the crown.. but look for Venus to pick it up and start to dominate this summer. SO SERENA WILLIAMS...

However, Venus chance to end the year #1 is still up for grabs, until after the US Open..