PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that Venus's win has motivated Martina

supergrunt
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM
because Venus surpassed her in slams and now she has new motivation and is changing her racquet? :D

sfselesfan
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM
I think it's more likely the $$$ she makes from the racket company was a little more motivating.

SF

Geisha
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:07 PM
I highly doubt it.

Vlover
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE]because Venus surpassed her in slams

I know for sure that this has motivated some of her fanatics to hate Venus even more.:D I haven't seen much of the prominent Venus envy club members lately. I wonder why?:lol:

safinforlife
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
no

No.1Hingis
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:37 PM
Not really...

Is fair to say she can be motivated to be back at her top level.. to beat players like Venus, Serena, Justine or Maria... not actually for what they have achieve..

Beating those four girls make you look good.. as is if you beat Martina as well..

I do have to say what Venus did is just amazing.. but.. not to motivated an old, natural rival to re-born.. cause Martina wasnt playing the final ag her on Wimbledon, who must be motivated is Marion, no actually Martina.. she has to be motivated into increase her chances to win every tournament and get a better and the best game plan..

So.. nop.. and any player a side the runner has to be motived in what they never had chance to get .. I mean.. Wimbledom 2007 title was just a chance of the two final players.. Venus and Marion, even when participated 32 or more girls.. the real chance was on those 2, one got it and another didnt... 32 can be motivated on win Wimbledon 2008 but not the 2007 tittle which is on Venus hands.. and Marion that will come back to look what she lost this year.. Venus must be motivated to defends her title next year..

treufreund
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:49 PM
Nope, Martina just loves the game. I think Serena could get motivated by it. She did not like Bartoli calling Venus #1 on grass.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM
Not really...

Is fair to say she can be motivated to be back at her top level.. to beat players like Venus, Serena, Justine or Maria... not actually for what they have achieve..

Beating those four girls make you look good.. as is if you beat Martina as well..

I do have to say what Venus did is just amazing.. but.. not to motivated an old, natural rival to re-born.. cause Martina wasnt playing the final ag her on Wimbledon, who must be motivated is Marion, no actually Martina.. she has to be motivated into increase her chances to win every tournament and get a better and the best game plan..

So.. nop.. and any player a side the runner has to be motived in what they never had chance to get .. I mean.. Wimbledom 2007 title was just a chance of the two final players.. Venus and Marion, even when participated 32 or more girls.. the real chance was on those 2, one got it and another didnt... 32 can be motivated on win Wimbledon 2008 but not the 2007 tittle which is on Venus hands.. and Marion that will come back to look what she lost this year.. Venus must be motivated to defends her title next year..
huh?:scratch:

Thanx4nothin
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:59 PM
I think it's more likely the $$$ she makes from the racket company was a little more motivating.

SF

I love your signature a lot. ;)

Craigy
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Oh shut up.

Lunaris
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
Hardly, most players are focused on their own game and results and don't care about other players.

The Dawntreader
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM
I doubt martina is influenced or inspired by other players. She has her own goals and motivational desires that have no bearing on the success on others:)

supergrunt
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM
wasn't there an article saying that she was motivated or something?

Morrissey
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:12 PM
I diagree Hingis said in the press one of the main reasons WHY she returned to the WTA is because she KNEW she could get back to the top. She realized the old guard was STILL on top. Right now though it looks like most of the old guard is on its way out. EXCEPT, Venus, Serena, and Justine, seem to be the last one of the old guard STILL WINNING GRAND SLAMS. I definitely think one of the main reasons Hingis came back was because she saw how Venus won Wimbledon in 2005. And she also saw how Serena won the Australian Open in 2005. Hingis thought that since the old guard was still on top of the WTA TOUR that she would be able to sneak back on the tour and win slams again. Hingis got a rude awakening when she was routinely POUNDED by the top players and now even lower ranked nobodies like Laura Granville can beat Hingis easily.

And Venus and Serena did it again this year winning the Australian Open and Wimbledon. I think A LOT of players are GREEN with ENVY of Venus success. In the NY Daily News article Jennifer Capriati was WATCHING Venus beat Bartoli to win Wimbledon. I also believe Lindsay Davenport, Martina Hingis are GREEN with ENVY of Venus success. Its obvious that Venus success has really gotten a lot of players thinking they can duplicate it. And the thing is Venus has passed by Hingis in terms of grand slam glory. Venus has more slams then Martina. Venus, Serena, and Justine, are at a different level then everyone else.

thrust
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Either that, or it scares her. I think some would be scared to see Venus and Serena near their top form.

Volcana
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM
If any player's win thisyear has motivated Hingis, I think it's Henin. Henin's samller than Hingis, has the same number of slams and is currently #1. When Hingis looks at Henin, Hingis has to admit that the reasons she's no longer on a slam winning level aren't genetic. It isn't about size, or power. It's about the individual training the way they need to train to win.

Maybe Hingis herself was right all along. Maybe he feet are too badly damaged for her to train enough to be an elite player. However, I'll go with her boyfriend and her mother. She's got to get in tip top shape, a la Henin, and she's needs just a bit more pop in her shots. However, Hingis has always detested that kind of training.

misael
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:16 PM
Venus is the #1 player on grass.Four wins, 2 Final appearances, lost in 98 in 3 sets to eventual champion Jana Novatna, lost in 3. to eventual finalist and 7 time Wimbeldon Champion Steffi Graf in 99. Venus has matured so nicely, would'nt it be great if she could get #1 and sustain it.I think she can, I've never seen her play as relaxed as she has recently.I would love if she became #1 again.

No.1Hingis
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:17 PM

hehe... yep.. reading it after... I guess is quite :scratch:..

but what I was trying to say is what this clever person did write.. I do love words.. isnt it obvious :p ... sorry da Forehand, I do think so my last text is quite confuse..

I doubt martina is influenced or inspired by other players. She has her own goals and motivational desires that have no bearing on the success on others:)

Morrissey
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:19 PM
Henin now has MORE slams then Martina Hingis she has PASSED Martina Hingis long time ago and now she has the RESULT to prove it. Hingis has five slams and Henin has SIX. And that's the difference. Henin is SMALLER then Hingis and yet she's the superior player. Henin maximized her potential in terms of using her whole body to win matches. Henin has a much better serve then Hingis and much more power.

Max565
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:26 PM
I really don't think there is a big difference between five or six GS titles... But the difference with Venus is that she won her's recently... THAT is the big difference... not that she has one more Slam.

I just think Martina woke up from a long trance... she had a long slump and injuries. Maybe Venus' or Marion's run at Wimbledon did motivate her but I just think nagging injuries and a lack of competitive spirit hindered her...

No.1Hingis
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Henin now has MORE slams then Martina Hingis she has PASSED Martina Hingis long time ago and now she has the RESULT to prove it. Hingis has five slams and Henin has SIX. And that's the difference. Henin is SMALLER then Hingis and yet she's the superior player. Henin maximized her potential in terms of using her whole body to win matches. Henin has a much better serve then Hingis and much more power.

Motivation = Get better in weaks issues and be perfect to beat EVERYONE ...

FACTS = Fix stuffs and train fully fit

EFFECT = (Motivation + Facts) Winner of tournaments

PLAYERS WITH THAT THEORY = ALL!!!

And if something is a truly motivation for Martina.. thats totally win RG.. no matter against whom..

Morrissey
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Yes Venus has managed to win a couple of slams in the past two years and Hingis hasn't won a slam since 1999. Henin has won six slams since June 2003. Henin has actually won one slam per year since 2003.

AcesHigh
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Well... I hope so. Venus's victory in 2005 helped to motivate Martina. I bet she's thinking if Vee can come back against the odds and steamroll her way to victory, then she can definitely recapture some old magic and go deeper at slams.

misael
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM
To be fair Justine has a bigger game then most, not only Hingis.

Max565
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:01 PM
To be fair Justine has a bigger game then most, not only Hingis.

I agree... Size is irrelevant. It all has to do with racquet head speed and aggression. Having said that, I bet the size does help in a way, to cope with some of the power. ;)

Helen Lawson
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:02 PM
I have no doubt that since Venus' win, Martina has been bitter and angry on a daily basis and gnashing her teeth. Even worse than after Venus' win in 2005. These broads totally hate each other, so you know there's loads of jealousy between them. Venus is probably laughing so hard about it at certain times, she's farting in her pantyhose.

The problem, I don't think Martina has what it takes to rise from the ashes like Venus can do from time to time.

grudpill
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
LOL!

Hingis has pretty much answered this question yesterday. Yes, she is motivated by what Venus (and Serena) did this year. And it does matter to her that Venus has overtaken her in Slams. Hingis is a proud champion, and understands the importance of legacy, so I'd expect no less. She doesn't want to go down as the 4th best champion of her generation (which, unless she wins some more slams, is what she'll be. Behind Serena, Venus and Justine).

Hingis' own words; "When I saw what she (Venus) did at Wimbledon, it did inspire me to think I might be able to do the same again.

Both Hingis and Venus were interviewed by Matthew Cronin yesterday, and it's a fascinating insight into their rivalry.

The interview with Venus and Martina can be found on Tennis repoters net (Cronins site). Just google.

Max565
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
A tale of two rivals: Venus, Hingis mirroring each other
Venus is riding high on Wimbledon success, Martina is inspired to keep up

By Matthew Cronin, ********************

FROM THE ACURA CLASSIC IN SAN DIEGO – Not every tournament is a flashback to 1997, but when Martina Hingis and Venus Williams are in the same locale – like they are at this week's Acura Classic – their names slip easily off each other's lips.

Hingis is taking motivation from her great rival, the same woman whom she schooled in the '97 US Open final. After besting Virginie Razzano 6-2, 6-4 on Wednesday, Williams thought back to an 11-week period when she gained the No. 1 ranking in 2002.

"It was hard to hold on to because Martina was playing more than I was," she said. "It was elusive."

Actually, it was Jennifer Capriati and her sister Serena Williams whom she was vying with then, not Hingis, who was beginning to decline. Like her likeable but spacey mother, Oracene, Venus' recollection skills have never been that great, so she was probably thinking back to 2001 and 2002 when she went back-to-back at Wimbledon and the US Open and when Hingis was more of a factor.

But Hingis has keen recollection skills and still puts herself on par with Venus, who along with Serena, represents a large part of her personal bar.

"When I saw what she did at Wimbledon, it did inspire [me] to think I might be able to do the same again," Hingis told ********************. "You see in two out of three Slams that the Williams sisters won and were able to bounce back not having played that much over the past few years and you are a little surprised."

Unlike in 1997, when Hingis ruled the roost by grabbing three out of the four Slams and spoiled Venus' coming out party in the US Open final, Hingis is now looking up at Venus. Sure, at No. 13 she's ranked slightly higher than the No. 16 Williams, but Venus just won her sixth Slam title at Wimbledon, giving her one more major than the Swiss. Don't think that doesn't matter to the proud rivals. Venus is playing so well now that she has to be considered the early favorite to win her third US Open crown, while Hingis is merely hoping that she can stay healthy enough to reach the second week.

Hingis needs a huge week in San Diego to get her confidence back, while Venus is so full of confidence that it seems like she could skate to the final on good days and bad. She says she's in the proverbial zone.

"I'm playing better than at Wimbledon," she said. "My first serve percentage was crazy at Wimbledon and I hit as hard as could and it just went it. Every time I would go for it and I was blessed to get it in. There's a determination part of it. My level is going up every day. It was huge boost to win a Slam and this tournament will help me, too."

Venus is in her healthiest stretch since 2005 and now has gone more than six months without pulling out of a tournament. She thrilled that she's finally healthy again.

"I'm the anti-Venus," she said. "I finally have two legs to stand on. I'm playing a lot of matches. I don't want to be injured any more and have to work so hard to be where I want to be. I'm at a really wonderful place in my game where I can stay there and keep getting better."

She has no idea why she's healthy again, but she is. And, as the world saw at the AELTC, she's crushing her serve and forehand, the two most up-and-down parts of her game.

When she's nearly unbreakable and when a foe cannot hammer balls into her forehand side, she's as good as better as anyone on the planet.

"My forehand has improved the most this year," she said. "It's awesome."
Why? She won't really say, but there's no doubt that she's completely following through on the shot and it's also safe to say that during her time off due to a left wrist injury last year, that it was the only stoke she could hit and she benefited by all the hours she spent honing it. Much the same happened with Kim Clijsters and her forehand when she injured her left wrist.

The Williams sisters are frequently criticized for not caring enough and pulling out of too many events. While that criticism has some merit when it comes to Serena (who has pulled out of four events in a row and appears doubtful for LA next week with a thumb injury), it has no justification when it comes to Venus.

Look at her schedule since Roland Garros: Wimbledon, Fed Cup, World TeamTennis and now San Diego. She nutted up and played Fed Cup just a week after winning Wimbledon, a big risk that she was willing to take for her nation and her friend, Zina Garrison.

"It was the anti-vacation," she said. "It was tough mentally and physically. It was the ultimate challenge to play something so competitive after Wimbledon. It takes a lot out of you."

When asked to recall the super skinny girl with red white and blue beads who wowed New York in 1997, Venus said, "She was really silly and knew nothing about tennis but she had a little bit of heart and that counted in the end."

Venus has made a few life changes as of late. She has a steady boyfriend, golfer Hank Kuehne, and her first dog (the many others were Serena's), a Havanese puppy named Harry that she caries around in a bag.

She called herself a single mom when it comes to the dog, but isn't looking to overly impress Hank when it comes to her knowledge of the. She doesn't play golf, although she has driven a few balls at her dad's house, and has tagged along at a few of Hank's tournaments. At first, she had no idea what was going on. She describes golf as a "long walk after practice."

"He said go out there on the first hole by that bunker and I asked, 'What's a bunker?" she said.

Williams says that like her, Kuehne "seems really good and powerful" and she says she doesn't get too nervous watching him.

"Golf is not as fast as tennis but if there's a close putt you can go, 'Ooohhh.' Tennis you are in the moment and it's like a series. He hasn't had as many close ones like me and I don't want him to live on edge."

She also isn't planning on yelling out, "You da man!" "I don't think he appreciate that and I don't want to distract, so I'll just let Serena do it."

Like Venus, Hingis is 27-years-old, but she hasn't been healthy in five months. After beating Michaella Krajicek in her opener, she said it was the first time that she felt normal since Miami.

After bombing out of Wimbledon early in a tournament she should not have played, she went to Germany to visit doctors and work out, and then went home to Switzerland to visit and practice with her mother, Melanie.

"I feel like I'm where I want to be," she said. "The endurance and cardio will come with more matches."

Hingis remains enigmatic. She told TR that "the fire is back on," because she's feeling healthy, but cautions that another injury could extinguish it.

"If your body doesn't let do things you should be [doing], it gets hard on the mind and motivation because you know what you should be doing and you are not and it doesn't give you a huge chance at success. It can vary. Sometimes I have very fast thoughts. When I feel better I say I can continue for another five years, but then when I am not, I say, 'Do I really have to do this to myself?' If everything is great and I'm playing well and winning, I feel go on forever. And, if I'm not, I say why all the hassle and the travel? It's very close. Sometimes in a few weeks I can be a totally different person. You talk to me at Wimbledon and I'm one way, and then now I'm another person who is saying the fire is back."

Both Melanie and Martina's fiancée, Radek Stepanek, are telling her the same things: Get a high percentage of her first serves in, make no errors off the ground and attack the net more. Sounds easy, right?

"I have so many people trying to tell me what to do," she said.

Hingis says she needs matches, but also says that she'd consider playing a Serena-type light schedule next year. She's a type of player who seems to perform better at tournaments where she has prospered in the past.

She won the Acura title in 1997 and 1999 and is hoping, as Venus might say, to be blessed by a cool breeze off the Pacific. The SoCal mojo seems to seeping into her circle; Stepanek won LA two weeks ago.

"This has a good place for me in the past where I've rebounded after some bad Wimbledons and I made a statement that I can compete well again."

http://www.********************/venus_hingis_080107.html

supergrunt
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
:)

frontier
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Martina's motivation is Venus not Justine ,they are from the same generation of players and they have always had this rivalry going on.I remember watching Wimbledon 2005 early rounds and Hingis was a guest in the commentary box and she said ,quote"if she plays the way Venus is playing she would quit"she really was tearing Venus apart that day with Carillo.I guess seing Venus win that year jolted her and inspired her to come back specially when Venus equalled her number of slams and has passed her in the tally and might win again.Martina and Venus rivalry goes back to when they were teenagers if this encourages Martina to improve more power to her.I dont think Martina will win anytime soon because she can easily overpowered by bigger players.The fact that her nemisis has joined the all time greats at Wimbledon is painful to her specially when she used to look down upon Vee.Karma is a Bitch for sure!

mankind
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
No.

Rex59
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM

Ditto

mykarma
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
because Venus surpassed her in slams and now she has new motivation and is changing her racquet? :D
no

mykarma
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
[quote=supergrunt;11325959]

I know for sure that this has motivated some of her fanatics to hate Venus even more.:D I haven't seen much of the prominent Venus envy club members lately. I wonder why?:lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

mykarma
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Nope, Martina just loves the game. I think Serena could get motivated by it. She did not like Bartoli calling Venus #1 on grass.

What makes you think that? :shrug:

mykarma
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:17 PM
I diagree Hingis said in the press one of the main reasons WHY she returned to the WTA is because she KNEW she could get back to the top. She realized the old guard was STILL on top. Right now though it looks like most of the old guard is on its way out. EXCEPT, Venus, Serena, and Justine, seem to be the last one of the old guard STILL WINNING GRAND SLAMS. I definitely think one of the main reasons Hingis came back was because she saw how Venus won Wimbledon in 2005. And she also saw how Serena won the Australian Open in 2005. Hingis thought that since the old guard was still on top of the WTA TOUR that she would be able to sneak back on the tour and win slams again. Hingis got a rude awakening when she was routinely POUNDED by the top players and now even lower ranked nobodies like Laura Granville can beat Hingis easily.

And Venus and Serena did it again this year winning the Australian Open and Wimbledon. I think A LOT of players are GREEN with ENVY of Venus success. In the NY Daily News article Jennifer Capriati was WATCHING Venus beat Bartoli to win Wimbledon. I also believe Lindsay Davenport, Martina Hingis are GREEN with ENVY of Venus success. Its obvious that Venus success has really gotten a lot of players thinking they can duplicate it. And the thing is Venus has passed by Hingis in terms of grand slam glory. Venus has more slams then Martina. Venus, Serena, and Justine, are at a different level then everyone else.
I thought Venus and Serena were out injuried when Martina came back.

mykarma
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
A tale of two rivals: Venus, Hingis mirroring each other
Venus is riding high on Wimbledon success, Martina is inspired to keep up

By Matthew Cronin, ********************

FROM THE ACURA CLASSIC IN SAN DIEGO – Not every tournament is a flashback to 1997, but when Martina Hingis and Venus Williams are in the same locale – like they are at this week's Acura Classic – their names slip easily off each other's lips.

Hingis is taking motivation from her great rival, the same woman whom she schooled in the '97 US Open final. After besting Virginie Razzano 6-2, 6-4 on Wednesday, Williams thought back to an 11-week period when she gained the No. 1 ranking in 2002.

"It was hard to hold on to because Martina was playing more than I was," she said. "It was elusive."

Actually, it was Jennifer Capriati and her sister Serena Williams whom she was vying with then, not Hingis, who was beginning to decline. Like her likeable but spacey mother, Oracene, Venus' recollection skills have never been that great, so she was probably thinking back to 2001 and 2002 when she went back-to-back at Wimbledon and the US Open and when Hingis was more of a factor.

But Hingis has keen recollection skills and still puts herself on par with Venus, who along with Serena, represents a large part of her personal bar.

"When I saw what she did at Wimbledon, it did inspire [me] to think I might be able to do the same again," Hingis told ********************. "You see in two out of three Slams that the Williams sisters won and were able to bounce back not having played that much over the past few years and you are a little surprised."

Unlike in 1997, when Hingis ruled the roost by grabbing three out of the four Slams and spoiled Venus' coming out party in the US Open final, Hingis is now looking up at Venus. Sure, at No. 13 she's ranked slightly higher than the No. 16 Williams, but Venus just won her sixth Slam title at Wimbledon, giving her one more major than the Swiss. Don't think that doesn't matter to the proud rivals. Venus is playing so well now that she has to be considered the early favorite to win her third US Open crown, while Hingis is merely hoping that she can stay healthy enough to reach the second week.

Hingis needs a huge week in San Diego to get her confidence back, while Venus is so full of confidence that it seems like she could skate to the final on good days and bad. She says she's in the proverbial zone.

"I'm playing better than at Wimbledon," she said. "My first serve percentage was crazy at Wimbledon and I hit as hard as could and it just went it. Every time I would go for it and I was blessed to get it in. There's a determination part of it. My level is going up every day. It was huge boost to win a Slam and this tournament will help me, too."

Venus is in her healthiest stretch since 2005 and now has gone more than six months without pulling out of a tournament. She thrilled that she's finally healthy again.

"I'm the anti-Venus," she said. "I finally have two legs to stand on. I'm playing a lot of matches. I don't want to be injured any more and have to work so hard to be where I want to be. I'm at a really wonderful place in my game where I can stay there and keep getting better."

She has no idea why she's healthy again, but she is. And, as the world saw at the AELTC, she's crushing her serve and forehand, the two most up-and-down parts of her game.

When she's nearly unbreakable and when a foe cannot hammer balls into her forehand side, she's as good as better as anyone on the planet.

"My forehand has improved the most this year," she said. "It's awesome."
Why? She won't really say, but there's no doubt that she's completely following through on the shot and it's also safe to say that during her time off due to a left wrist injury last year, that it was the only stoke she could hit and she benefited by all the hours she spent honing it. Much the same happened with Kim Clijsters and her forehand when she injured her left wrist.

The Williams sisters are frequently criticized for not caring enough and pulling out of too many events. While that criticism has some merit when it comes to Serena (who has pulled out of four events in a row and appears doubtful for LA next week with a thumb injury), it has no justification when it comes to Venus.

Look at her schedule since Roland Garros: Wimbledon, Fed Cup, World TeamTennis and now San Diego. She nutted up and played Fed Cup just a week after winning Wimbledon, a big risk that she was willing to take for her nation and her friend, Zina Garrison.

"It was the anti-vacation," she said. "It was tough mentally and physically. It was the ultimate challenge to play something so competitive after Wimbledon. It takes a lot out of you."

When asked to recall the super skinny girl with red white and blue beads who wowed New York in 1997, Venus said, "She was really silly and knew nothing about tennis but she had a little bit of heart and that counted in the end."

Venus has made a few life changes as of late. She has a steady boyfriend, golfer Hank Kuehne, and her first dog (the many others were Serena's), a Havanese puppy named Harry that she caries around in a bag.

She called herself a single mom when it comes to the dog, but isn't looking to overly impress Hank when it comes to her knowledge of the. She doesn't play golf, although she has driven a few balls at her dad's house, and has tagged along at a few of Hank's tournaments. At first, she had no idea what was going on. She describes golf as a "long walk after practice."

"He said go out there on the first hole by that bunker and I asked, 'What's a bunker?" she said.

Williams says that like her, Kuehne "seems really good and powerful" and she says she doesn't get too nervous watching him.

"Golf is not as fast as tennis but if there's a close putt you can go, 'Ooohhh.' Tennis you are in the moment and it's like a series. He hasn't had as many close ones like me and I don't want him to live on edge."

She also isn't planning on yelling out, "You da man!" "I don't think he appreciate that and I don't want to distract, so I'll just let Serena do it."

Like Venus, Hingis is 27-years-old, but she hasn't been healthy in five months. After beating Michaella Krajicek in her opener, she said it was the first time that she felt normal since Miami.

After bombing out of Wimbledon early in a tournament she should not have played, she went to Germany to visit doctors and work out, and then went home to Switzerland to visit and practice with her mother, Melanie.

"I feel like I'm where I want to be," she said. "The endurance and cardio will come with more matches."

Hingis remains enigmatic. She told TR that "the fire is back on," because she's feeling healthy, but cautions that another injury could extinguish it.

"If your body doesn't let do things you should be [doing], it gets hard on the mind and motivation because you know what you should be doing and you are not and it doesn't give you a huge chance at success. It can vary. Sometimes I have very fast thoughts. When I feel better I say I can continue for another five years, but then when I am not, I say, 'Do I really have to do this to myself?' If everything is great and I'm playing well and winning, I feel go on forever. And, if I'm not, I say why all the hassle and the travel? It's very close. Sometimes in a few weeks I can be a totally different person. You talk to me at Wimbledon and I'm one way, and then now I'm another person who is saying the fire is back."

Both Melanie and Martina's fiancée, Radek Stepanek, are telling her the same things: Get a high percentage of her first serves in, make no errors off the ground and attack the net more. Sounds easy, right?

"I have so many people trying to tell me what to do," she said.

Hingis says she needs matches, but also says that she'd consider playing a Serena-type light schedule next year. She's a type of player who seems to perform better at tournaments where she has prospered in the past.

She won the Acura title in 1997 and 1999 and is hoping, as Venus might say, to be blessed by a cool breeze off the Pacific. The SoCal mojo seems to seeping into her circle; Stepanek won LA two weeks ago.

"This has a good place for me in the past where I've rebounded after some bad Wimbledons and I made a statement that I can compete well again."

http://www.********************/venus_hingis_080107.html

:lol:

mykarma
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:31 PM
Martina's motivation is Venus not Justine ,they are from the same generation of players and they have always had this rivalry going on.I remember watching Wimbledon 2005 early rounds and Hingis was a guest in the commentary box and she said ,quote"if she plays the way Venus is playing she would quit"she really was tearing Venus apart that day with Carillo.I guess seing Venus win that year jolted her and inspired her to come back specially when Venus equalled her number of slams and has passed her in the tally and might win again.Martina and Venus rivalry goes back to when they were teenagers if this encourages Martina to improve more power to her.I dont think Martina will win anytime soon because she can easily overpowered by bigger players.The fact that her nemisis has joined the all time greats at Wimbledon is painful to her specially when she used to look down upon Vee.Karma is a Bitch for sure!

Ain't that the truth.

Хлоэ
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
wow, supertard, new :bs: thread :D :(

lecciones
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:45 PM

This I could believe. Martina has already reached that stage where I think , just personally, she doesn't care at all.... but she is motivated about getting the French and completing her career.

CORIA01
Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Yes Probably
They Are About The Same Age And Belong To The "old Generation"
But Martina Returned To The Game Mostly Because She Loves Competition