PDA

View Full Version : Which Players Do You Enjoy Watching Being Forced To Run Side To Side ???

pierce0415
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:11 PM
we had a discussion about this awhile ago but I would like to rekindle the topic ... so in this thread, list the players you like to see running, like a yo-yo or like a puppy, from the left side to the right side to the left side to the right side of the court, chasing down, retrieving their opponent's shots

I'll start

Players I like to see run side-to-side:

Zheng / younger Sugiyama :worship: - because they can chase everything down

Jankovic :hearts: - because when she can't run down a shot, she usually does the splits and gives the camera a helpless look

Pratt :spit: - because this is the only thing she does in most matches

Peer :spit: - because this is the only thing she does in most matches

Clijsters :spit: - because this is the only thing she used to do in most matches

Venus & Serena - because they can turn defense into offense

Dementieva - because she always hits it back crosscourt, right into her opponent's strike zone again :help:

Henin - seeing her in the Wimbledon SF in a distrought state, running down Marion's drives was priceless

Dominguez Lino - because after she runs down something, she will hit a moonball back :armed:

Pova - because she is forced to go to her left-handed forehand :tape:

Mauresmo - because whenever she plays a top player, this is usually what happens ... she stands a few feet behind the baseline, floating back slice backhands and moonball forehands before waiting to attack

Players I like to see run their opponent's side to side:

Mary Pierce :worship: - the official expert of running her opponents from side to side ... see highlights of her USO SF against Dementieva

Na Li - because she has no volleys or dropshots, her only option is to hit groundstrokes from one side to other :help:

Davenport - because she sure isn't going to do any running from side to side of her own :worship:

Peng & Yan & Bartoli - double handed drives creating good angles, forcing opponents out wide

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM
Serena/Venus :hearts: They can be on the run at one point, and the flip it, with one flick of a racquet can go from the hunted to the hunter :worship::drool:

LoveFifteen
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:17 PM
I enjoyed watching Steffi Graf run from side to side because her movement was so graceful.

Craigy
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:21 PM
Pierce and Na Li.
Actually, all Asian players. :)

sfselesfan
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM
I think you picked every possible player. Kind of took the fun away for everyone else.

SF

Drake1980
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM
Jeca, because she is so good at it and gets everything.

kiwifan
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:28 PM
Venus - :cool:
Justine - :devil:
Sharapova - :lol:
The late Kim whatever her name is...just for the potential to see the split.

I have to admit I get angry when I see Serena getting run around, because that means she isn't dictating play like she's supposed to.

Max565
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GascfefgPYI

Hingis ;) :p

I also like Venus' 'power defense' :)

pierce0415
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
I think you picked every possible player. Kind of took the fun away for everyone else.

SF

I don't think I picked every player :hug:
even if I did, you can agree or disagree with me

Beny
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:39 PM
Players I like to see run side-to-side:
Mauresmo: she can come up with some great forehand at the end...(for instance the one you can/could watch on youtube, in her YEC final against Kim. :drool: )
Henin: Again, the cherry on the cake comes at the end-some fabulous shot.
Schnyder:the same as previous two
Dementieva: Agree with pierce's comment. She never hits it DTL..and not just in run side to side rallies :help:
Cibulkova: she also hits it CC too much and I think soon,she'll be as predictable as Elena :(

Players I like to see run their opponent's side to side:
1st place: Schnyder:because of those angles :drool: (I hope I'll ever get the chance to watch Rome 05 SF between her and Masha again. priceless)). I also liked the way Patty made Lindsay to run in Zurich 02 final. especially the MP rally :drool:
2.Sharapova: Because she can hit it on the line from everywhere. sometimes it's too acurate..even for the best runners
3.Safarova
4.Henin..(but didn't do a great job in Wimby SF :rolleyes: ) 4.Bartoli (did a great job in that SF :D )

starin
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Serena when she was fat at Wimbledon 2005. It was kinda sad to see a champion reduced to such a low level of play. But when she was being run from side to side it was hilarious. Her weave was coming out, she was grunting...lol priceless.

And Venus and Serena at their peak are the best at turning defense to offense. I love watching Venus hit great passing shots on the dead run.

blumaroo
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:47 PM
Myskina

Derek.
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM
Myskina is beautiful on the run. :hearts:

Maybe not now, but she was. ;)

kinglear
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:55 PM
I like this thread. The way you described those players is hilarious. Dementieva is able to run down a lot of balls, but I like to see her offensive and pushing her opponents around.

supergrunt
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM
Venus.Some of her gets are :eek: ! Serena on defense is fun to watch because she is so dramatic with her grunts :lol: .

Keaka
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Federer, Nadal, Roddick...

from women Kuznetsova the most...

Serval
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Sharapova - it's like watching a drunk giraffe trying to pass a "walk the line" sobriety test :drool:

Stamp Paid
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:20 PM
I love seeing Justine forced to scamper from side to side.
And I also love the groans of strain that she makes when shes being overpowered. (Wimbledon SF 2002, 2003, 2007) :hearts: "oooowwaaaaaaaaaaaa" :skeets:
Is that sick?

Lulu.
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:21 PM
Serena on defense is fun to watch because she is so dramatic with her grunts:lol: .

I love that :rolls:

DA FOREHAND
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:25 PM
I love seeing Justine forced to scamper from side to side.
And I also love the groans of strain that she makes when shes being overpowered. (Wimbledon SF 2002, 2003, 2007) :hearts:
Is that sick?

No it's funny as hell!!:lol: I was going to put her on my list for the same reasons.

Hingis 00 A.O. Final, 97/99 French final:sad: :lol:

Venus because she has the best defense in tennis, and she's actually more dangerous on the run than she is standing stationary:drool:

The Daviator
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Lindsay goes back to her opponents a lot, she always goes for the more difficult shot, she should move them about more :(

When she's on the run it's hilarious, she makes an effort on maybe two shots and then just gives up :lol:

Venus on the run is :worship: She just looks so in control no matter how hard she's being pushed, also Nastya, so many running winners :hearts: :sad:

V-MAC
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
No it's funny as hell!!:lol: I was going to put her on my list for the same reasons.

Venus because she has the best defense in tennis, and she's actually more dangerous on the run than she is standing stationary:drool:

:lol: That is so true. I think it is because she doesn't have time to think or get nervous when she has to hit a running shot.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Lindsay goes back to her opponents a lot, she always goes for the more difficult shot, she should move them about more :(

When she's on the run it's hilarious, she makes an effort on maybe two shots and then just gives up :lol:

Venus on the run is :worship: She just looks so in control no matter how hard she's being pushed, also Nastya, so many running winners :hearts: :sad:

That's so true about Lindsay, but I always reasoned that she knew she'd win the next few points, as she was the best at getting ahead in a rally

mckyle.
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:39 PM
we had a discussion about this awhile ago but I would like to rekindle the topic

so instead of bumping the old thread you decide to make a new one, shocker.

-sugi-
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM
Na Li :devil:

Alexj
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
Kim Clijsters and Anna Chakvetadze!
__________________________________________________ ____________________

~Marion Bartoli~ Anna Chakvetadze~ Ana Ivanovic~ Jelena Jankovic~ Patty Schnyder~ Daniela Hantuchova~ Vera Zvonareva~ Dinara Safina~ Nadia Petrova~ Elena Dementieva~

pierce0415
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:07 PM
so instead of bumping the old thread you decide to make a new one, shocker.

I can't find the old thread
if you can find it, we can merge the 2 threads

CORIA01
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM
pierce and sharapova :devil:

HAOCHEN-GOAT
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:30 PM
Good thread :) lol @ Pratt :haha:

For me...

I like to watch running from side to side:

Martina Hingis - I love her technique

Kim Clijsters - A joy to watch with those... "splits" (?) well words are not necessary, you know what I mean :lol: :)

Jie Zheng - So quick ! She's so funny to watch. The grunt, the return motion... just Jie :lol: :hug:

Jankovic - So good moving too

I like to see the next players doing her opponents run:

Na Li - Amazing power. Can control the point with her unbelievable backhand. She's so fast too, and can run from side to side, and put in some impressive winners

Yan Zi and Peng Shuai - Love their double handed technique, especially Zi's FH, and Shuai's BH. Yan Zi is so fast too ! But have some problems because the DH FH

Hantuchova - She can make one of the best angles, and good dropshots too ! When she's on, she's impressive. I love her style too.

Mary Pierce - Can't stop laughing watching her. When she's on, :eek: :haha:

Lindsay - :worship:

The Dawntreader
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM
Venus- She is just so awesome on the defense. I hated it when people used to say Kim was such a great mover because she was so defensive with her movement. Venus gets great gets and replies with such interest. She's the best mover in the game IMO:worship:

Serena- Has so much instinct when on the run. Can come up with some beautiful angles:worship:

Lindsay- Well what can you say?:lol: When lIndsay wants it she'll give it a few more steps towards the ball. When she doesnt, her footwork is so funny to watch as it's non-existent:lol:

Dementieva- Again such awesome strength on the run. Her running forehand is amazing:eek:

Pierce- I love the moonball to get back in position, and she often turns her back on her opponent while doing so, so she misses the direction of the ball:lol:

Sharapova- just to see players expose her woeful defense.

pierce0415
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:35 PM
adrygf :wavey:
:haha: at the huge overlap of players we like to see run side to side and players making their opponents run side to side :spit: :hysteric:

venusallday
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:36 PM
I love watching Venus move because it takes her like three steps to get from one side of the court to the next. And as powerful as she is, she still manages quite a bit of grace to me.

In her prime, Anastasia Myskina had the most graceful lateral movement that I've seen on court. It gave me pure delight to watch her move side to side. I hope she gets back to that top level.

tonythetiger
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:41 PM
1. Sharapova - she is funny as heck because she looks like a fish on stilts.

2. Venus - she looks like a graceful gazelle in ballet slippers.

Knizzle
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:43 PM
Serena/Venus/Jankovic

cancelled1
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:47 PM
Sharapova-:lol:
Serena- her grunts are hilarious

pierce0415
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:37 AM

Lindsay- Well what can you say?:lol: When lIndsay wants it she'll give it a few more steps towards the ball. When she doesnt, her footwork is so funny to watch as it's non-existent:lol:

Pierce- I love the moonball to get back in position, and she often turns her back on her opponent while doing so, so she misses the direction of the ball:lol:

Lindsay on the run :spit:
Mary's moonball and then backtrack to the center of the court and her 360 degree spins :bowdown:

did you guys see the match between Mary and Lindsay at the YEC where Mary won 76 76? that match featured so many winners because neither was willing to run for the other's shots

frenchie
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:42 AM
I like to watch $harapova and Vaidisova running side to side because they look like fishes out of water!:lol: :lol:

and it also means they are losing which is good too:tape:

oceandrive
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:50 AM
I enjoy watching Maria being tossed from side to side because her movement is so gawky .

sammy01
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:50 AM
i love watching hingis and chakvetadze running side to side as they anticipate so well you dont often see hingis or chakvetadze wrong footed! hingis has amazing defence where as chakvetadze can seemingly place the ball just as well when on the full stretch as when shes stood in the middle of the court something i find amazing when shes out of position shes just as acurate!

i have to go with pierce for the running people side to side her forehand and backhand are amazing when shes changing the angle from cross court to down the line! i love the fact that when mary was on and went after the opisition it doesn't matter who they are they just have to rock back on there heals soak it up and hope she goes off!

RenaSlam.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:08 AM
Pierce02340204023, you are too much :lol:

Baller.

danieln1
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:00 AM
Lindsay running is so fun to watch, Bartoli also, they struggle! I like sharapova running too, always so desperate!

LUIS9
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:18 AM

I know Venus does have the best defense, that's why I still think Venus at her very best is better than Serena if her second serve holds steady. Those gets she's able to produce are just remarkable, those long limbs and the way she's able to move laterally is amazing. Even when you're sure even she can't get that one spectacular shot you'l see her get to the shot and make an even tougher shot for her opponent to get. Only Clijsters has come close to moving side to side as well as Venus.

Hingis used to be very good on defense, especially because she could cheat a bit and anticipate so well; and she's perhaps the best or one of the best readers of the game. Her defensive lob used to be unsurpassed, Clijsters and Henin made it a more athletic shot.

iPatty
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:27 AM
i love watching patty run to her forehand. :hearts:
however, i often cringe when she has to run to her right because i know a weak backhand is coming. :unsure:

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:56 AM
I love watching Venus move because it takes her like three steps to get from one side of the court to the next. And as powerful as she is, she still manages quite a bit of grace to me.

In her prime, Anastasia Myskina had the most graceful lateral movement that I've seen on court. It gave me pure delight to watch her move side to side. I hope she gets back to that top level.

Yeah, at their best these two would in my eyes be the most exciting movers of this decade. I should add Venus, playing at her best has the most remarkable running two-handed backhand down the line I've seen.

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:57 AM
I like to watch $harapova and Vaidisova running side to side because they look like fishes out of water!:lol: :lol:

:lol:

FERLKE
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:00 AM

:worship: :cool:

felipe2004
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:04 AM
Camilie Pin

pierce0415
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
i love watching patty run to her forehand. :hearts:
however, i often cringe when she has to run to her right because i know a weak backhand is coming. :unsure:

Patty on the run :spit:
I like it when she decides to instead of running and chasing down the other player's shots, she changes strategy and decides to morph into a power player and starts hitting every shot as hard as possible and tries to go for winners ... it is so obvious that it is not her game

did you see the 2005 San Diego QF between Mary and Patty ??? Patty tried to play Mary's game :help:

ViennaCalling
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
I enjoy it when Henin is forced to run side to side (especially when she plays against Tamira :drool: ) :devil:

RenaSlam.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
I enjoy it when Henin is forced to run side to side (especially when she plays against Tamira :drool: ) :devil:

Or when she played Bartoli in the Wimbledon SF :drool:

zayos_10
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
I like Maria only because she makes funny noises when she is trying to reach for the ball :lol:

Craigy
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
I like Maria only because she makes funny noises when she is trying to reach for the ball :lol:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=movoGH1UPTQ
:cool:

Viktymise
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2o64l_venus-ivanovic-2_sport

:D

zayos_10
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=movoGH1UPTQ
:cool:

yep! I was thinking about this video :lol:

ViennaCalling
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:11 PM
Or when she played Bartoli in the Wimbledon SF :drool:

:lol: Yeah, i watched the final set 4 times :droo,:

Hashim.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
JJ,Myskina,Venus,Serena,Kim

metamorpha
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Poor Henin, her legs was aching... Pierce tormented her on the court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFbzPNNHWvw&mode=related&search=

LCS
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
Henin, I liek to see her off-balance...she looks like a wimp like that!

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
:lol: I actually think that it will be interesting if Lindsay does that many times.
;)

Direwolf
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM
Venus Williams
Venus Williams

her strokes are sooo damn powerful..
when shes playing great, her shots are accurate
...once she made a good shot..
she totally runs to the net...
shes not scared to make her shot..

LeonHart
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
I love when Hingis gets to move her opponents side to side, it's very pleasant to watch :)

ViennaCalling
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Poor Henin, her legs was aching... Pierce tormented her on the court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFbzPNNHWvw&mode=related&search=

:worship: That match was unbelievable. I remember that. :worship:

Mary's shots are really :eek: when she's on :hearts:

GracefulVenus
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Venus Williams
Martina Hingis

Both are top notch on the run!

up!
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
Clijsters :spit: - because this is the only thing she used to do in most matches

I don't agree, I would rather say:

Clijsters:bounce: because she can turn defense into offense

Just watch her match against Venus in US Open 2005:eek:

DA FOREHAND
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:50 PM
if you really want to see some running watch the 95 Us Open semi Steffi -v- Hingis
or the 96 Chase final. Steffi ran poor little Martina into the ground literally

metamorpha
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:50 AM
When defense gradually turned into offense, Kim Clijsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4EKndqm1Yw

metamorpha
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Graf and Federer had a bit similar winning keys.

Watch closely when one slice turned defense into offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcNDDM_XUS0 (good defense from both Graf and Seles, simply amazing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g3l6U5ONhI (from 04:24 to 04:44)

:D

up!
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:00 AM
When defense gradually turned into offense, Kim Clijsters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4EKndqm1Yw

I think this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1dzy1UhqA&mode=related&search= is even better because she finishes at the net with a nice winner.:drool:

LudwigDvorak
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8msuIWuKBXU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ITLI5rawgVI