PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that Tsvetana Pironkova deserve to be a top player?

Bulgaria
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:04 PM
Mine opinion is absolutely YES.

Let's here yours.

LudwigDvorak
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM
She has the talent to do well, but...she's just not done it. What else can she or anyone do?

tonythetiger
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:26 PM
You can only deserve to be a top players when you start to consistenly beat top players.

alexia1huff
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM
she's not consistent enough, she comes up with great matches, but later dissapear for a couple of weeks, her volleys are not really there and after what we saw in rg against serena you have to say that she gets extremely tight and her strokes are not rock solid.

Experimentee
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM
No.

Njay16
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
When she does get tight her strokes and serve are not as effective. They set up in the middle of the court in the strike zone for many players (ie. Roland Garros vs Serena) But in that match in the first set she was matching serena stroke for stroke and was not getting outhit and at some times was out hitting serena. She does have tremendous potential and the ability to hit big. But hitting big gets you no where if you can't do it consistently. She needs to have big wins consistently and not lose to players ranked 300 places below her. Her dad has been sick and I think a lot of her results this year have to do with some personal reasons but she needs to get it together soon. Best I think she'll get is top 30 maybe top 20.

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
She has the potential. She's got an unorthodox technique on all of her shots, which make her better to watch because she's not just some academy clone. She's really fit and strong, particularly in her legs. She's got a big 1st serve but her 2nd serve is always shakey. She can trade groundies with the best in the world when she's playing well which has been in evidence when she played Venus and Serena at the slams.

To improve i think she needs to hire a proper coach though. It wold bring her game to the next level, her FH needs to improvement. She's been having a bit of a cooling off period this year i think. Alot was expected of her after beatng Venus and she couldn't really deliver yet. She is still young and it wouldn't suprise me if in the next few years if she was to rise up the ranks into the top 20. I really hope she does too :D

DA FOREHAND
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
Mine opinion is absolutely YES.

Let's here yours.

Nobody deserves anything! YOu have to earn it. :fiery: :mad:

Just Do It
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:39 PM
no.

M-K
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yes.

switz
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM
yes she deserves it so much. it is an outrage that the WTA has not legislated that Pironkova be elevated to the top 5 immediately and for the rest of time :mad: even in retirement and when she goes to be with Jesus :worship:

tenn_ace
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM

my thoughts exactly

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:51 PM
my thoughts exactly

Im not sure if the posters 1st language is English, so he may have worded the question a bit differently, i think he meant, Can Pironkova be a top player rather than does she deserveto be a top player.

jamatthews
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Personally I don't think so. Also Melanie and Bally are the only Brits mentally tough enough to beat (former or future) top 10 players (so far), so losing to Anne and Katie isn't a great sign...:p

tenn_ace
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Im not sure if the posters 1st language is English, so he may have worded the question a bit differently, i think he meant, Can Pironkova be a top player rather than does she deserveto be a top player.

in that case she should look at how Henin achieved her success and to be ready work twice as hard as Henin did

LegionArgentina
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:57 PM
One of the jokes of the year

tenn_ace
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Personally I don't think so. Also Melanie and Bally are the only Brits mentally tough enough to beat (former or future) top 10 players (so far), so losing to Anne and Katie isn't a great sign...:p

Melanie as in South? if yes, lol... thanks for a good laugh.

Lulu.
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:01 PM
No.

ASP0315
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
She she starts winning smore matches and start beating some good players i'm sure she will definetely a top 10 material. She got a lot of talent without a doubt. she needs to keep working hard in order to get to top level.

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM

The Pironkova of 2006 wouldn't have lost a set to any of the British girls :o

dreylau
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:32 PM
of course yes

Craigy
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:35 PM
As said before, she has to earn it. :weirdo:

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM

Either way the answer is "No" :shrug:
She's done nothing so far to prove/show she could be a top-player.

Maryamator
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM
As said before, she has to earn it. :weirdo:

:fiery: ur such a hater:p
:lol:

well she's got the game eventhough she has some weaknesses, but her results this year havent been very consistent, but she's beating alot of player who are rannked higher than her, if she can just be more consistent at tournamments i think she can get in the top 50 easily and then into the top 20 maybe:)

Maryamator
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:39 PM

well she's beating many players ranked above her ..

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:41 PM

She's beaten Venus in her debut slam match 2-6 6-0 9-7, i don't care whether Venus hit 1000 UE's, not many people can say they did that. She has not handled the expectations after that match well and has been having some personal problems this year. She still showed in the 1st set against Serena at RG, the kind of potential she has.

Maryamator
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:44 PM
She's beaten Venus in her debut slam match 2-6 6-0 9-7, i don't care whether Venus hit 1000 UE's, not many people can say they did that. She has not handled the expectations after that match well and has been having some personal problems this year. She still showed in the 1st set against Serena at RG, the kind of potential she has.

exactly:)!

btw what kind of personal problems and when:confused:

Bulgaria
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:00 PM
Ok maybe my question wasn't very perfect but I think everybody understood what I ment but somebody has to play the smart guy in this thread. Whatever.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM

It was just one win. Somehow I think a player needs to do more than beating out-of-form top-player (and losing in the next match btw) in order to prove one can turn into a big player oneself.

strictennis
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM
YES! She's still pretty raw and inconsistent, I'm sure she'll be in the top 3.

kinglear
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM
You can only deserve to be a top players when you start to consistenly beat top players.

exactly right. Pironkova shows some signs of greatness in her matches, but she's usually outgunned, despite her endless energy. Some players just don't perform, and I guess that's what defines journeymen.

selyoink
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM
No. She hasn't achieved anything yet in her career so how can she deserve to be a top player?

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:31 PM
I would say the jury is out but in all honestly from what I've seen of her I think she probably does have top 20 potential. But that is a long way from saying I think she will be a top 20 player. Most, admittedly not all, players aged 22 and younger in the 100 to 200 level in the rankings, and ofcourse Pironkova has been top 100 too, have the basic ability to be top 20 if everything goes right and they develop the ability to play to the highest level they are capable of playing at. Trouble is most of the time it doesn't happen. Pironkova moves well, hits with good variety and hits well on the run, a good indication that a player can compete at the highest level.

I do agree with Lenavee that what she needs most of all is a great coach. She seems quite a fragile personality so she needs someone warm, supportive, compassionate, who really knows what he's doing and has the past success to prove it. Larry Passos would be ideal but he's taken. Heinz Gunthardt would be another dream candidate. But I'm sure there are others who could do the job too.

As things stand right now her career could go anywhere. She could go top 20 or she could lose the plot completely and be gone within three years, or ofcourse anything inbetween those two extremes. The same could actually be said for a few young players with some potential in a similar position at the moment. She seems a nice girl so I hope she does well and finds a good team to give her the support she needs.

iPatty
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:00 PM
no. not at all.

she'll never get anywhere near the top 30. :rolls:

Freakan
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:19 PM
No. No. No.

Alexj
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:38 PM
I think that to get there she needs to be more consistent.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

~Marion Bartoli~ Anna Chakvetadze~ Ana Ivanovic~ Jelena Jankovic~ Patty Schnyder~ Daniela Hantuchova~ Vera Zvonareva~ Dinara Safina~ Nadia Petrova~ Elena Dementieva~

RJWCapriati
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:38 PM
No

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:43 PM
Hell nah.

Top 50 is a reasonable goal for her. :o

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:02 PM
She'll be top 50 easily by this time next year ;)

eugreene2
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM
Was there a controversy? Did the WTA conspire to keep her from being a top player? Was the ref in a gambling scandle and making bad calls to prevent her from winning?

I think you get my point. You deserve to be a top player when you deserve it.

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM
Again, Bulgaria's 1st language is not English and im sure what he meant was Does Pironkova have the potential to be a top player :shrug:

heytennis
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:59 PM

I agree 100%. You could say tons of players "deserve" something.

woosey
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:12 PM
you don't deserve to be a top player. you earn it by beating people and winning tournaments. then, you will be a top player, whether you deserve it or not.

*JR*
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:00 AM
She's beaten Venus in her debut slam match 2-6 6-0 9-7, i don't care whether Venus hit 1000 UE's, not many people can say they did that.
I don't think Venus wants 2C another Bulgarian @ a Slam. ;) BTW, "the other one" will probably go a lot further than Tsveti career wise.

mboyle
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:23 AM
I don't think anyone is entitled to anything in this world that they don't already have except food, clean water, shelter and love.