PDA

View Full Version : Venus & Martina - Still The Best Rivalry In The WTA

GogoGirl
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:33 AM
I noticed Chrissy & company - last Saturday - during the final - kept stating that only Serena could put Venus on the defense the way she was running her from side to side. Respectfully - I have to say - I disagree.

Martina Hingis is another one - that at times can run Venus from side to side like no other. These two competitors are more likely than not - to make the other gasp for breath after some of their points.

The last time they played was at the Ericsson 2001 if I'm not mistaken - and it went to a second set tie-break. I still say- these two players play each other the tightest - unless you take Serena & Jen into consideration.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens the next time Venus & Martina play - in order to see how they match up now.

Needless to say - we all miss the fighting spirit of Martina Hingis.

evadafan
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:35 AM
That was a good rivalry.

I always enjoyed the Davenport/Hingis rivalry too. Not to mention Hingis/Graf---what bad blood there!!!!

anton
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:41 AM
that is a good one but the venus-serena wimbledon first set was also very dramatic. venus made some silly errors to lose it and serena played better and better.

Darkheart
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:44 AM
They played once this year in Hamburg in the semi-final. Venus won 7-5 6-3. That was Martina's last event before the surgery.

I enjoy their rivalry as well.

BCP
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Count me in. The two classic semi final clashes at the USO were some of the best women's tennis matches i've ever seen..............

GogoGirl
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:49 AM
My bad Darkheart. I was mistaken. But - they still got each other's number - even though it appears that Venus has had Martina's more in the last two matches. Before the last two - it was what - 6/1 - 6/1 at the 2001 OZ?

I would neva count Martina out in any of their matches.

Thanks.

Sam L
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:10 AM
I thought that their rivalry was at peak during 99-00 season. Since then it's been all VENUS. Unless if Martina can keep up with Venus, this rivalry is dead, and not really worth watching.

But if she can, it will be fantastic tennis for the years to come :)

DEETHELICK
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:40 AM
US Open SF 99
Wimby QF 00
US Open SF 00

Those three matches were edge of your seat entertainers, I really didn't know what was gona happen next.

And the quality was absolutely amazing. Martina always seems to rise to another level when playing Venus. Her guile, shot making and anticipation reach scary heights.

The good thing is that Venus responds to this level too. She just runs down every ball, shows her power and athleticism.

Some of the rallies and shots I have seen from them when they play each other shows exactly how talented these two players are!

Jen vs Serena is the next best contender for drama, quality and excitement.

Kart
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Venus has had the better end of their more recent meetings but they always produce great matches :). Probably the best matches I can think of off hand.

Monica and Serena and JenCap between them also produce great matches.

schris
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:59 AM
I don`t like Martina at all since RG 1999, but I agree that she played agains Venus really great tennis. But I`m happy that Venus usually won their matches ;)

irma
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:15 AM
I love Martina/Venus or Serena too, there is almost a lot of pride in these matches :cool:

FP
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:20 AM
yeah I think their rivalry were the best hopefully it will continue when Martina will come back ...
They are really able to push each other to play their best tennis I think it's great :)

eshell
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:55 PM
I miss the Martina/Venus rivalry and the Martina/Serena rivalry. Heck, I miss Lindsay/Venus and Lindsay/Capriati too.

RYNJ
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:23 PM
I don't think Martina vs Serena is a rivalrya anymore.

The U.S. Open 2000 was one of the best matches I have ever seen. That was the one that have me a heart attack.

veryborednow
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:34 PM
In Sue Barker's magazine pre-Wimbledon, she said he wanted a Hingis/Venus final (I guess it was written before the surgery) because they hated each other and that resulted in good matches.

I dunno if that's true, but those two and the Seles/Cappy rivalry is stunning, 7-6 in the third 2002 and 6-4 in the third 1991. Wa hey!

selesfan
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:41 PM
I think Serena vs. Jen is a better rivalry. Their matches are exciting while Venus-Martina matches have been boring lately.

roadine
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:05 PM
i just hope to see her playing again rite now....

DD
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:13 PM
SERENA VS MARTINA IS NO RIVALRY NOMOOR.

IT IS BECOMING TOO ONESIDED AND EASLY BEATEN

Sonja
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:30 PM
It will be nice to have both Martina and Lindsay back on the tour and in good health. I also wonder if Daniela will create a bit of a rivalry, and if so, with who?