PDA

View Full Version : Hingis' New Raquet?

lanykid87
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:53 AM
I just saw in pictures from her match tonite that she is using an all black raquet with no yonex sign on the strings. is it a yonex raquet or is she switching it up? does anyone know?

schorsch
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:16 AM
can you give us the pics? apparently yonex will introduce a new line during the us open. but i dont know anything else.

schorsch
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:15 AM
it looks exactly like rafael nadal's racket ! ! ! babolat pure drive cortex !

ctan88
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:17 AM
Who knows? Very interesting though - it would be a disaster if Yonex lost Martina after all these years ...

schorsch
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:20 AM
no wait it rahter looks like a babolat pure drive cortex

Привет
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:31 AM
that aint a yonex. i agree with schorsch - it does look very similar to the racquet loit, schiavone and nadal use. i would not be shocked if martina had switched to babolat by the time this years us open comes around.

it's a shame, i don't understand why she would change. if martina leaves yonex than yonex have lost two big name players this year, hantuchova early in the year and now hingis.

Sally Struthers
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:39 AM
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5361/hingismn4.jpg

Max565
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:45 AM
Somehow I doubt she would change after all these years... but maybe she wants change.

*Jean*
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:52 AM
it looks exactly like rafael nadal's racket ! ! ! babolat pure drive cortex !

Not at all ;)

RJWCapriati
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:02 AM
Whatever works for you Martina!

thomas.chung
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:14 AM
It has been reported that Martina is not even touting a Yonex bag, instead, she is carrying an adidas racquet bag. So this rumour has some merit to it. However, not long ago during Wimbledon, a Yonex rep replied a fan on Hingis.org that she will be debuting the new Yonex RQ IS2 racquet at the US Open. If all of a sudden she switches to Babolat, that would be a huge blow for Yonex in terms of publicity. Compound it by the fact that Martina has been a great spokeswoman for Yonex over all these years with the company's sticks along with her GS titles, it would spell disaster for PR at the company.

Привет
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:51 AM
It has been reported that Martina is not even touting a Yonex bag, instead, she is carrying an adidas racquet bag. So this rumour has some merit to it. However, not long ago during Wimbledon, a Yonex rep replied a fan on Hingis.org that she will be debuting the new Yonex RQ IS2 racquet at the US Open. If all of a sudden she switches to Babolat, that would be a huge blow for Yonex in terms of publicity. Compound it by the fact that Martina has been a great spokeswoman for Yonex over all these years with the company's sticks along with her GS titles, it would spell disaster for PR at the company.

take a look at the frame. does that look like a yonex to you? :shrug:

Привет
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:52 AM
sorry thomas.chung didn't mean for that to sound so nasty. :D

i was just reiterating the fact that this new frame looks nothing like a yonex, and everything like a babolat. :)

Libertango
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:01 AM
Yes, its definitely not a yonex head, but I want Martina to stay with yonex - I don't know why, I just think the two belong together! :lol: :sad:

The Dawntreader
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM
It looks like an old Wilson model.

Libertango
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:09 AM
Actually it does - it looks like the racquet Venus and Serena used in the late 90's ..

RYNJ
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM
its definitely PURE DRIVE CORTEX, you can see it in the middle between the handle and the throat.

Darop.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
For sure a Babolat, you can clearly see the cortex system above the grip.

But which one? Probably Pure Drive 107', the head looks surely larger than the usual 98'.

Polikarpov
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:49 AM
Is it possible that Hingis is just experimenting with it and will switch back to Yonex come US Open?

Does she have an existing contract with Yonex?

Oh and it's really weird to see Martina playing with a round frame. I've been so used to seeing her with the isometric frame from Yonex.

pooh14
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM
i think hingis is just trying out racquets.

i don't think she would be changing from Yonex. She has been using ever since she was Pro (or maybe longer then that).

Darop.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Is it possible that Hingis is just experimenting with it and will switch back to Yonex come US Open?

Does she have an existing contract with Yonex?

Oh and it's really weird to see Martina playing with a round frame. I've been so used to seeing her with the isometric frame from Yonex.

While some players have fun "experimenting" with racquets in practice just for fun, if a player uses a racquet in a match they usually aren't just doing it for fun. A transition on racquet for pros is usually extremely traumatic, but then again, that's just IMO :p

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:55 AM
It looks like an old Wilson model.

I was thinking the same thing :o

pooh14
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM
all black shows it is an experimental racquet, right?

Max565
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:07 AM
all black shows it is an experimental racquet, right?

Yeah, her black racquet at the Copenhagen exhibition was black too but it turned out to be a white one.

Polikarpov
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Hey guys, got this from username:Fedace of Tennis-Warehouse forums

link: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=146981&page=6

"NO, i got news from yonex. I just spoke with managing racket tech at Yonex about 2 hours ago. Here is the deal. Several racket designers are flying in from Japan tomorrow to meet with Hingis during Acura open. Hingis is still working with several black Prototypes with all different specs. She still has not decided on which frame to go with. She is to give input during this week, which racket of several prototypes she will decide on. Then finally the model she wants will go into production. So there is only a very slim chance that hingis will go with RQIS -2 tour frame. and if she goes with one of the other prototypes, it will have a different number all together."

It seems Hingis is staying with Yonex.

Also if you browse that thread, you will see the pictures of the new racquets from Yonex, the RQiS series. If you'll look at the pics, you'll see that their frames are much rounder now.

pooh14
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hey guys, got this from username:Fedace of Tennis-Warehouse forums

link: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=146981&page=6

"NO, i got news from yonex. I just spoke with managing racket tech at Yonex about 2 hours ago. Here is the deal. Several racket designers are flying in from Japan tomorrow to meet with Hingis during Acura open. Hingis is still working with several black Prototypes with all different specs. She still has not decided on which frame to go with. She is to give input during this week, which racket of several prototypes she will decide on. Then finally the model she wants will go into production. So there is only a very slim chance that hingis will go with RQIS -2 tour frame. and if she goes with one of the other prototypes, it will have a different number all together."

It seems Hingis is staying with Yonex.

Also if you browse that thread, you will see the pictures of the new racquets from Yonex, the RQiS series. If you'll look at the pics, you'll see that their frames are much rounder now.

well ya i agree that hingis would stay with Yonex.

In fact, I think Yonex will go all out to make a racquet Hingis wants. Very few players endorse Yonex, so they cannot lose what they have.

I hope changing racquet so frequent won't disrupt her game.

CORIA01
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:35 AM
I prefer her with yonex
but if she plays better with it why not?

jdyshrky
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
FINALLY! Yonex make great rackets but Martina needs something way more powerful. She should have pushed for a more powerful racket for her comeback originally. It looks nothing like a Yonex, do you think they'd change their line so dramatically?

SV_Fan
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:10 PM
But remember Venus and Serena had a all black racket WITH the Wilson logo on it. So I think she might be switching if it was a new racket I think it would have the Yonex logo on it but not the color yet.

davidmario
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:17 PM
she needs some babolat-hammer because her game lacks power - finally she tries to change something:bigclap:

tpro579
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:39 PM
The racquet in the picture is definitely a Babolat....but I do not see the cortex ridges. Martina often practices with different frames, Agassi used to as well. I don't think the frame is the issue though...while a boost in power may help....it's a slippery slope as she is a finesse/touch player. In my opinion a "lighter" racquet is not necessarily better as the RQS 11 was super light and low powered...All Martina's titles sans the Australian 99 were won with a heavier player's frame the Yonex Pro RD 70 long "105" Also...I think a racquet will only take you so far....Martina burned herself out trying to keep up with the big hitters...I hope that doesn't happen again.:rolleyes: That being said at least she's trying new things....but if she's going to move forward she might consider some coaching and a new fitness regime....along with the racquet.;)

lecciones
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:37 PM
omg yes it is not the frame of Yonex ...shudder...

thomas.chung
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
sorry thomas.chung didn't mean for that to sound so nasty. :D

i was just reiterating the fact that this new frame looks nothing like a yonex, and everything like a babolat. :)

A similar situation happens on the men's side with Blake using a purportedly Prince Experimental when some sharp-eyed fans noticed that he is really using his old Dunlop racquet in black paint disguise. I am pretty sure that if Bobolat is to get Hingis, they would be all over it already because even though Babolat has some great players like Nadal, they have no one as legendary as Ms. Hingis aside from Kim Clijsters which retired. Look at the Bryan Brothers and Prince, the rumours fly high on the street about the switch even before the bros showed up in a Prince racquet. So I highly doubt she is going to Babolat. It is quite normal (I think) that when you engineer a product to pit it against other competitors, and by trying out its competitors, you can design better products. I think Hingis may have found that she likes the Babolat feel and Yonex will have to design something like that now.

Привет
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:23 AM
If Martina likes the feel of the babolat racquet and wants Yonex to make something similar to a babolat, why would she use it during a match? It's obvious to anyone with a very limited tennis knowledge that the racquet is not a Yonex. Surely that would piss Yonex off just a little.

thomas.chung
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Of course people know it's not a Yonex from the fact that it doesn't have the isometric shape. But there has been cases, though very rare where players are using another brand's racquet during a match (for james he never really switch and the racquet is all black, like Martina's without the logo stencil) to help pit the racquet that the player's company is developing against those known ones. It is a win-win situation, for Babolat, now people know Martina once used a Bab to help her find her game, for Yonex they still get Martina Hingis and a new frame to go better against the Babolat. Why not? Plus, Martina has done enough for Yonex over the years such that she deserves to have a little more slack.

My Verdict: Nothing to worry about, she will stick to Yonex. Until she says that she is moving to Babolat or other company, I won't believe anything yet.

Us430uH
Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
i was at the acura classic tournament today and hingis said that many people have been asking her about the raquet and it is in fact a babolat that she is trying out

i have some pictures from the tournament but im not sure how to post them..if anoyone wants to see them id be happy to post them if you tell me how..thanks

IMPOSSIBLE
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
looks like Babolat Pure Drive