PDA

View Full Version : "I'm the anti-Venus"

Paneru
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:35 AM
Venus maintains Wimbledon form in San Diego opener
By Matthew Cronin

SAN DIEGO, California, July 30, (Reuters) - Venus Williams continued her Wimbledon-winning form by thrashing Anastasia Rodionova 6-3 6-0 in the first round of the San Diego Classic on Monday.

Playing her first WTA tournament since claiming her fourth Wimbledon crown with a straight-sets defeat of France's Marion Bartoli, Williams looked fresh and powerful in polishing off the outclassed Russian.

Not only was her vaunted backhand smooth but she also punished her opponent with hard forehands.

"I was going for a lot," Williams told reporters.

"I just felt really aggressive, like I want to get the ball, move forward and go for it. My forehand has improved the most this year.

"I just don't think about it and I hit it."

After an injury-riddled 2006 and shaky start to this season, Williams found her feet in London, thrashing three top-10 players -- Maria Sharapova, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Ana Ivanovic -- before beating Bartoli.

Now ranked number 16, the 27-year-old Williams is hoping to emulate the form she showed in 2000 and 2001, when she won back-to-back Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles.

"I'm the anti-Venus," she said.

"I finally have two legs to stand on. I'm playing a lot of matches. I don't want to be injured any more and have to work so hard to be where I want to be.

"I'm at a really wonderful place in my game where I can stay there and keep getting better."

SEEDS ADVANCE

Williams won the San Diego Classic three times in a row from 2000 and says that she has matured to the point where she can take it easy on herself mentally.

"I'm much calmer now," she said. "I feel calm when I'm down and when I'm up and feel pretty even-keeled."

All the seeds that competed on the day got through.

Ninth seeded Russian Elena Dementieva rebounded from an erratic second set to defeat Catalina Castano 6-4 3-6 6-1.

Number 11 Patty Schnyder of Switzerland, who was horrified by her poor play at Stanford last week, turned things around and defeated American Jamea Jackson 6-2 6-1.

Number 14 Alona Bondarenko of Ukraine out-fought China's Peng Shuai 3-6 6-3 6-4 and 13th seed Tatiana Golovin of France overcame Argentina's Gisela Dulko 6-1 2-6 6-2

Williams and Vania King were the only Americans to post wins as Jackson, Jill Craybas, Laura Granville, Coco Vandeweghe and Brittany Augustine all lost.

On Tuesday, second seed Jelena Jankovic of Serbia will face King, who defeated compatriot Asia Muhammed 7-6 6-0, while fourth seed Nadia Petrova of Russia will go up against compatriot Elena Bovina.

Bartoli, the fifth seed, will also be in action against Japan's Akiko Nakamura, while seventh seed Martina Hingis of Switzerland will go up against Wimbledon quarterfinalist Michaella Krajicek of the Netherlands.

Top seed and defending champion Maria Sharapova starts her campaign on Wednesday.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6816916,00.html

sfselesfan
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:36 AM
Music to my ears!

SF

Brooks.
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:41 AM
It seems like Venus has big plans this summer...

AcesHigh
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:43 AM
She really is getting a lot better on that forehand side. I really want to see that backhand get to where it used to be though. She can't forget about that. It used to be the best on tour, but now, I doubt it's top 5.

mdterp01
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:44 AM
This is the difference from 2005 that could really vault Venus back to where she has the potential to be. Staying healthy and gaining momentum with confidence is so key for her so hopefully those two things can remain and we can see her really be a major factor for awhile.

tonythetiger
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:54 AM
"I'm at a really wonderful place in my game where I can stay there and keep getting better."

Thanks for the post Vronsky. That's the most positive and confident I've heard Venus in a while. This makes me smile and beam with gratitude.

Jericho
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:14 AM
uh oh... healthy, confident forehand, good serving, mentally strong... everyone better watch out ;)

supergrunt
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:17 AM
I don't get what "anti-venus" means :(

ico4498
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:23 AM

i think its a health joke.

Paneru
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:35 AM

I think she's talking in major regard to the
inujries and probably her head space.

Since 03' Venus has been riddled with injures.
And last year(running into this year) was the worst
of her career, when she missed nearly 8 months of
play and two Slams.

And also, as a rythm(which builds confidence for her)
player, being so injured and playing so sporadically can
tax you just as much mentally as phyisically.

So, I tink she means "anti-Venus" in that now she is healthy.
And being healthy has allowed her to play. Playing has allowed her to develop a rythm. This rythum has allowed her to gain confidence. And that confidence is producng elite level tennis.

Now, with her health in-tact, all other things are falling
into place. That's the reason many of her fans pray for her
to be healthy and happy more than anything else, out of
those two things the rest will come.

starin
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:54 AM
yeah Venus.
I just hope she can stay healthy. She does tend to get injured a lot.

supergrunt
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:59 AM
Oo

Pureracket
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:15 AM
I don't get what "anti-venus" means :(It means she doesn't smoke marijuana or other recreational drugs anymore. She's serious about her tennis again.

supergrunt
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:59 AM
She really is getting a lot better on that forehand side. I really want to see that backhand get to where it used to be though. She can't forget about that. It used to be the best on tour, but now, I doubt it's top 5.

that is not even remotley true. :rolleyes:

supergrunt
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:59 AM
but you and your negatives...

darice
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM
"I'm the anti-Venus," she said.

"I finally have two legs to stand on. I'm playing a lot of matches. I don't want to be injured any more and have to work so hard to be where I want to be.

vee :hug:

winone23
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:53 AM
Go Venus stay the course!

Radix2
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:00 AM
She is feeling positive, That is a good think. Even though the injuries have taken a toll on her she has not given up. I pray she remains injury free,

Marshmallow
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
A good attitude to have, and as a fan it's great to hear. I just hope she stays healthy and DOES NOT GET FATIGUED. I really hope she can keep up this form.

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM
I really want her to stay healthy, i thik she is due a spell of good health, its been constant injuries for the past 5 years or so :sad:

vettipooh
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Good perspective, Vee!! Stay healthy and carry on!! :yeah:

tonythetiger
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM
I think the "Anti-Venus" also means that previously she was her own worst enemy instead of other players. Venus has beat herself in so many matches during 2003-2005. I think she lost her form and confidence mainly due her injuries, her parents' divorce, and the death of Yutunde (sp).

K-Dog
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM
I think she's talking in major regard to the
inujries and probably her head space.

Since 03' Venus has been riddled with injures.
And last year(running into this year) was the worst
of her career, when she missed nearly 8 months of
play and two Slams.

And also, as a rythum(which builds confidence for her)
player, being so injured and playing so sporadically can
tax you just as much mentally as phyisically.

So, I tink she means "anti-Venus" in that now she is healthy.
And being healthy has allowed her to play. Playing has allowed
her to develop a rythum. This rythum has allowed her to gain
confidence. And that confidence is producng elite level tennis.

Now, with her health in-tact, all other things are falling
into place. That's the reason many of her fans pray for her
to be healthy and happy more than anything else, out of
those two things the rest will come.

Totally agree with the post, but the word is spelled "rhythm."

Kenny
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
lol, I totally couldn't believe that he had typed that but I read it multiple times.. I'm still shocked..

:eek::eek::eek::eek::help:

LoveFifteen
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
I'm starting to get that feeling inside that says that Venus is going to win the Open this year.

Il Primo!
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Venus is going to kill the competition this summer :drool:

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:03 PM
Gosh, I really hope she can do well this summer! I really feel that this a different Venus this time around (vs. 2005). I think it helps that she has nothing to defend (in terms of points) this whole summer and has soooo much to gain. Good luck to you Venus!! I'm really expecting her to do well. Supergrunt, I love your signature. lol!

friendsita
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:08 PM
Hope she has a great summer!

V-MAC
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM
:cool:

volta
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:21 PM
:bounce:

ampers&
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:23 PM
*dead* @ Paneru. :rolls: :Veetard:

I hope she gets her ass handed to her at the Open. It will be fucking hilarious.

V-MAC
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM

I hope she gets her ass handed to her at the Open. It will be fucking hilarious.

Will it? I for one won't be laughing :scared:

K-Dog
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:28 PM

Why? He didn't say anything wrong, just was explaining to Supergrunt what Venus meant by what she said. And since when has Venus made any comments to elicit you wanting her to lose? When does Paneru go around talking about Serena is a demeaning way? Your hate makes no sense. He spelled a word wrong. SO WHAT!!!

And by the looks of it, almost all your players in your siggy are going to get trashed at the Open. Serena is the only one who shouldn't, but then again, Serena prob won't play much or at all at the Open and could lose early.

ampers&
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM
Why? He didn't say anything wrong, just was explaining to Supergrunt what Venus meant by what she said. And since when has Venus made any comments to elicit you wanting her to lose? When does Paneru go around talking about Serena is a demeaning way? Your hate makes no sense. He spelled a word wrong. SO WHAT!!!

And by the looks of it, almost all your players in your siggy are going to get trashed at the Open. Serena is the only one who shouldn't, but then again, Serena prob won't play much or at all at the Open and could lose early.
*dead*

Defensive Veetards. :hearts:
Gotta love em! :spit:

V-MAC
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Reetards has a better ring to it than Veetards :ras:

K-Dog
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:47 PM
*dead*

Defensive Veetards. :hearts:
Gotta love em! :spit:

Yeah, okay. That's it. Too bad I like Serena too. My comment bore no bias to one sister or the other. I just felt that your comment was unwarrented.

new-york
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM
"tease me / tease me".

Paneru
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:23 PM

:tape: :smash:

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:29 PM

:o Whatever.

Paneru
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:36 PM
Also, guys remember, this person
speaks no more for Serena than I
do for Venus.

This is a positive thread.

Let him/her/it say all the negative stuff
they will but no need to stoop to bashing Serena
or any Serena fan because of this one. Okay, got it.

Expat
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:37 PM
venus just dont get injured whatever u do win or lose at the US Open
i want you back in the top 5 at least

K-Dog
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
:tape: :smash:

What does that mean?

Paneru
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM
What does that mean?

I'm an idiot! :lol:

I've always had trouble remembering the
exact spelling of that stupid word. It
was so nice of you to point out my error. :p ;)

Bijoux0021
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:27 PM
Staying healthy is everything.

vwfan
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:30 PM

[COLOR=black]I hope she gets her ass handed to her at the Open. It will be fucking hilarious. Not!

Everyday reveals another idiot!

K-Dog
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:30 PM
I'm an idiot! :lol:

I've always had trouble remembering the
exact spelling of that stupid word. It
was so nice of you to point out my error. :p ;)

I didn't mean to call you out and embarrass you, I was just letting you know. I hate that word too. That and anything that begins with "psych."