PDA

View Full Version : Coco: "My ultimate goal is to be No. 1. Why settle for mediocrity?"

spiceboy
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:16 PM
About yesterday's match:

"I felt like if I got the match into a third set," Vandeweghe said, "then I'd be the favorite." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Coco, honey...you just got your first hater :devil:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-tennis31jul31,1,724355.story?track=crosspromo&coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=3&cset=true

Venus Williams wins, novice Coco Vandeweghe loses at Carlsbad

Williams' experience shows in first-round Acura Classic tennis match against Anastasia Rodionova. The 15-year-old Vandeweghe loses to veteran Elena Bovina.
By Bill Dwyre, Times Staff Writer
July 31, 2007

CARLSBAD — On the first day of the last Acura Classic on Monday, the future of U.S. tennis fell short and the past and present stood tall.

Coco Vandeweghe, one of several who wear the future label, is 15 years old, got a spot in the main draw of the tournament because she is a local prodigy and played well enough to hint at better days ahead. In the first match of the day, she lost to veteran Elena Bovina of Russia, 6-3, 7-5.

Venus Williams is the past and present, along with her sister Serena, who is not playing here this week. Venus won the last three times she played here, in 2000, 2001 and 2002, and took this year's title at Wimbledon. In Monday night's featured match, she hit hard, served big and beat Russian Anastasia Rodionova, 6-3, 6-0.

The future of women's tennis in the U.S. is an increasingly pressing issue. Serena Williams is the current highest-ranking U.S. player at No. 8. She will be 26 in September. Venus is next at No. 16. She turned 27 in June.

Serena has won eight Grand Slam tournaments, Venus six. No other active U.S. player has come close.

At the moment, the next highest-ranked U.S. player is Meilen Tu, who played out of Northridge for years, lives in Porter Ranch now, will be 30 in January and is No. 41, two slots ahead of Meghann Shaugnessy, who is 28. Lindsay Davenport, who quit the tour last year and has already had a baby, is still the sixth highest-ranked U.S. player at No. 68.

All of which makes Vandeweghe's presence more intriguing. Monday's outing was only her second in a WTA main draw, both times here with wild cards. She hasn't taken the usual junior tennis route and doesn't have a junior ranking high enough to get her into the U.S. Junior Open in a few weeks.

What she does have is enough game to hint at the possibility of making a big move. She also has visions of greatness, or, perhaps, illusions of grandeur.

"Yes, I want to be a pro tennis player," she said Monday. "My ultimate goal is to be No. 1. Why settle for mediocrity?"

The other part of the Vandeweghe intrigue is the pedigree.

Her grandfather is Ernie Vandeweghe, who played for the New York Knicks in 1949-56. Her grandmother is the former Colleen Hutchins, who was Miss America in 1952, and whose brother was Mel Hutchins, the former All-American basketball player at Brigham Young, who went on to become a four-time NBA All-Star.

"That's where all the family athletic ability comes from, from Mel," Ernie said Monday, laughing.

Coco's mother is Tauna, an Olympic swimmer on U.S. teams in 1976 and 1980. Her uncle, Kiki (Ernest Vandeweghe III), was a star basketball player at UCLA, played in the pros for Denver, Portland and the Knicks and was, until a year ago, the general manager of the Nuggets. Another uncle, Bruk, was a pro beach volleyball star for 14 years, and an aunt, Heather, played professional polo and is a doctor in Westwood.

Coco was originally named after her grandmother, but opts now for Coco. She has taken her mother's maiden name.

In the match, she gave away three break points in the first game, had a set point on Bovina's serve in the second and also served for the second set. But in the end, the experience of Bovina, once a quarterfinalist at the U.S. Open and an Australian Open mixed doubles champion, won out.

"I felt like if I got the match into a third set," Vandeweghe said, "then I'd be the favorite."

It was exactly that kind of bravado that carried Venus Williams into the international tennis spotlight 10 years ago, at age 17, with her trip to the U.S. Open final. Now, she is a veteran, a celebrity, and a mainstay of U.S. tennis.

Vandeweghe has skills, desire and a famous family. U.S. tennis needs her to also have a future.

spiceboy
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:17 PM
http://images.townnews.com/nctimes.com/content/articles/2007/07/31/sports/professional/22_29_377_30_07.jpg

She's the new Chucky :bounce:

Thanx4nothin
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:39 PM
What's wrong with what she said? :confused:

woosey
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:40 PM
she's the new idiot.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:41 PM
nothing wrong with what she said, its just that I respect people who does the talking later or shall I say let their racket do the talking.

oceandrive
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:43 PM
I think she is talking too much otherwise when she goes on tour she will be a target of other players.There is a big difference with Venus at that age,Venus was already winning wta matches.I hope this girl plays in the Wta and be taught a lesson.

blumaroo
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:46 PM
Coco is a poster here by the way.
And there's nothing wrong with what she's said.

saki
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:47 PM
She's the new Alexandra Stevenson. She'll be telling us in a few months that she can win Wimbledon.

spiceboy
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:48 PM
What's wrong with what she said? :confused:

Calling 'mediocre' to the entire WTA Tour??? (But Henin) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sanneriet
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:48 PM
So any player that doesn't make it to no. 1 is mediocre?

AnnaK_4ever
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:49 PM
She said nothing wrong :shrug:

It's not like she said, 'I will be No.1!'

hu2891601
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:51 PM
how old is she?

tennisbuddy12
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:54 PM
I talk to CoCo alot. One of her friends told her that her condfidence is percieved as arrogance and cockiness. She was really bummed on losing to Bovina. She said her serve let her down. She had 7 aces and 7 doubles. Im part of the loss. I didnt give the best description of Bovina when she asked :tape: She asked if she had a big game and I said yes. Im a great helper :o

spiceboy
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:54 PM
BTW how is it originally named this puppet from Sesame Street?

http://lalengua.info/uploaded_images/coco-745941.jpg

Its name in Spain is Coco :haha:

tennisbuddy12
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:55 PM
how old is she?

tennisbuddy12
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20070731-9999-1s31acuranot.html

CARLSBAD – On the cusp yesterday of what at the Acura Classic would have represented her most meaningful triumph at this level of women's tennis, Coco Vandeweghe received a reminder.
She is, after all, just 15 years old.

Advertisement Her inexperience and Elena Bovina caught up to the Rancho Santa Fe teenager in the second set's closing phase and Bovina was able to secure a 6-3, 7-5 first-round victory at the La Costa Resort and Spa in a match that did little to diminish Vandeweghe's promise.
As her father, Michael O'Shea, noted, “Two days ago, she was sliding down the water slide here with her brother and sister. She's 15 years old.”

Vandeweghe had chances against a player who in April 2005 held the No. 14 ranking on the women's tour. With Bovina serving at 2-5 in the second set, the San Diego County player held a set point, but it escaped her when she overhit a forehand while dealing with a second serve.

Still, Vandeweghe was serving for the set at 5-3. To this point, she had been broken only once and she began the game by delivering an ace caught at 104 mph. Here, though, she lapsed into the series of errors that would cost her not only this game but her final service game.

“I thought if she got into the third set, she would be the favorite,” said Guy Fritz, her coach. “The other girl's serve was going off.”

Vandeweghe said she had become aware that Bovina was not moving as well during the match's concluding period as she had earlier. “I felt if I got into the third set, her serve probably would have gone down,” she said.

Vandeweghe had problems with her own delivery. Though she hit across serves timed as fast at 115 mph, the 6-foot-1 player double-faulted five times and by her accounting was accurate with only about 40 percent of her first serves.

“I just didn't put serves together,” she said.

Bovina was out of tennis a year ago while she permitted a shoulder problem to heal, but the Russian woman was serving well yesterday. As a means of sparing her shoulder further aggravation, she said she had revised her serving motion and found that with this technique she could serve with considerably more thrust.

“Yeah, she's a pretty solid junior player,” Bovina said of Vandeweghe. “I had never seen her play; I had never heard about her. The good thing was that I kept my focus and I kept playing every ball, not really thinking about what the score was.”

Bovina is 24. She was asked if at 15, she had the game that Vandeweghe possesses.

“Nine years ago, my god,” she said. “She definitely has a good level for her age.”

Though Vandeweghe lost, she has the endorsement of Pancho Segura, at 86 still one of tennis' most respected instructors.

Said Segura: “I'm a Coco fan. Coco is coming along nicely, and the reason is because she has a good serve and a good return of serve, and those are the fundamentals of tennis. You cannot be a great player unless you have them.”

tennisbuddy12
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:01 PM
Her coach said if it went to a 3rd, coco would be the favorite, not coco

ptkten
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:01 PM
She wasn't saying the rest of the tour is mediocre, she was saying she's not going to settle for a mediocre goal like making the top 100. I don't find anything wrong with what she said

spiceboy
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:03 PM
Her coach said if it went to a 3rd, coco would be the favorite, not coco

Not according LA Times

Rocketta
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:04 PM
using the term mediocrity had nothing to do with other players and all to do with her abilities if she doesn't strive for number one than *she* is being mediocre, ie not using her abilities to the fullest.....stop looking for bitchiness under every 15 year old rock. :rolleyes:

spiceboy
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:05 PM
She wasn't saying the rest of the tour is mediocre, she was saying she's not going to settle for a mediocre goal like making the top 100. I don't find anything wrong with what she said

Really? Where did she say so? :confused:

LOL @ the Top 100 thing you just made up :lol: :lol:

Rocketta
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:06 PM

beat me to it. ;)

Thanx4nothin
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:07 PM
She's the new Alexandra Stevenson. She'll be telling us in a few months that she can win Wimbledon.

Hardly, she's 15. :rolleyes:

oceandrive
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:11 PM
She doesnt know that being no.1 can be meaningless ......

Serval
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:15 PM
BTW how is it originally named this puppet from Sesame Street?

http://lalengua.info/uploaded_images/coco-745941.jpg

Its name in Spain is Coco :haha:

Grover.

spiceboy
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks Serval :wavey:

Tennis-Chick
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:29 PM
What's wrong with what she said?!! :shrug:

CoCo is a poster here too.

Dementieva_Dude
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:40 PM
IMO, there was nothing wrong with what she said...she has belief in her abilities (which is what she needs if she wants to be a top level player).

Tenis Srbija
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:45 PM
It's good that she is cocky. That could be a big deal in her career.

mckyle.
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:39 AM
What is Coco's username?

Junex
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:43 AM
What's wrong with what she said?!! :shrug:

CoCo is a poster here too.

Really?
who is hse her?
I really want to support this girl, she seems to have the right positive attitude of an upcoming champion...

and to the much talked about qoutes of hers...
there is nothing really wrong with it unless you have problems with reading comprehension..
Its just nitpicking...........

BTW, how did Asia did?
had she played already?

tenn_ace
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:47 AM
not sure why she gets all the publicity. there are better players even in the States like Melanie Oudin

Paneru
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:55 AM
It's really just amazing at how threatened certain folks can
become by someone else stating their goals and dreams
having the audasity to strve for them! :lol:

Well, you know, it's not nearly as funny as it is sad.

AlonsoFx
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:11 AM
Wow, It amazes me the capacity people have to misunderstand everything what someone says... people is always trying to find the bad things.
Shame on them.

She's ambitious, nothing wrong with her. Keep it up girl! :D

Derek.
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:12 AM
There is nothing wrong with what she said. :shrug:

kiwifan
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:18 AM
having the [audacity to strive] for them! :lol:

No shit! :lol:

I say good luck kiddo. :cool:

blamoh
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:56 AM
It is good that Coco is posting here. She will be able to read and know
that it is not good to have a big mouth in the tennis world without
having results to back it up.
By the way, how many ITF titles does she have?

-sugi-
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM
I don't see anything wrong :shrug:

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:07 AM
What is her username?

spiceboy
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:21 AM
By the way, how many ITF titles does she have?

None? :tape:

But she actually lost 62 60 in the first round of $10K Houston in June against mighty Besovic (ranked #857 WTA) :haha:

Max565
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:24 AM
Why do people frown upon confidence ?

FORZA SARITA
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Coco....i love her name :drool:
seems a name of a monkey :tape:

spiceboy
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:28 AM
having the audasity to strve for them! :lol:

Really?

I'll tell you what really amazes me...if one of your Williamses defeat Henin or Sharapova in straight sets and then they say something like:

"I felt like if I got the match into a third set, then I'd be the favorite."

..you'd be killing them :haha:

But then it was a young spoilt American brat who said that so I guess that's ok for you...

You guys are so hypocrites ;)

Bart
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:35 AM
Coco....i love her name :drool:
seems a name of a monkey :tape:

Or a parrot;) Coco is a very popular name for parrots in Belgium.:p

btw, does she have Dutch or Belgian ancestors? Vandeweghe sounds very Dutch/Flemish.

So Disrespectful
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:08 AM
She won 8 games off a pro player who hasn't been at her best for a long time since injury. I'd wait a while before saying she's the next best thing, but we'll soon see.

blamoh
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:16 AM
Really?

I'll tell you what really amazes me...if one of your Williamses defeat Henin or Sharapova in straight sets and then they say something like:

"I felt like if I got the match into a third set, then I'd be the favorite."

..you'd be killing them :haha:

But then it was a young spoilt American brat who said that so I guess that's ok for you...

You guys are so hypocrites ;)

I am not quite sure I understand what you are saying
in this case. But if I do, I am not sure those people
you mention wouldn't say something like after a loss or
defeat.
People are talking about a girl who has not won a single
title even in ITF circuit.

Sammy 4 eva!!!
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Username?

propi
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM
Top 100 is a mediocrity???
Seems that the Donald Young affair has taught nothing to some spoilt children :rolleyes:

FORZA SARITA
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:37 AM
Or a parrot;) Coco is a very popular name for parrots in Belgium.:p

btw, does she have Dutch or Belgian ancestors? Vandeweghe sounds very Dutch/Flemish.

parrot :haha: it's true :haha:

fawnrc
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with confidence. She did not say she "will" be number one. She said she would like to be number one. And even if she thought she could win if it went to a third set, that is not a bad thing. If she doesn't believe she can win then she starts the game, set or match partially defeated.

Experimentee
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:09 PM
Theres nothing wrong in what she said.

Shes saying that naturally, her goal is to be #1. You dont see players saying their goal is to be #2, or 3, or top 50 or 100. Of course they will aim for the best when they are young.

Serval
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:26 PM
You dont see players saying their goal is to be #2, or 3, or top 50 or 100.

Yes you do.

!<blocparty>!
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM
I think I'm already a fan of Coco. She has the best name, like, ever.

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:59 PM
This is supposedly her username http://www.wtaworld.com/member.php?u=51643

!<blocparty>!
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:05 PM
This is supposedly her username http://www.wtaworld.com/member.php?u=51643

:haha: That's hilarious! Has anyone added that person to AIM?

supergrunt
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:05 PM
Why do people frown upon confidence ?

Good question.

tennisbuddy12
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM
not sure why she gets all the publicity. there are better players even in the States like Melanie Oudin

CoCo actually beat Mel this year in the USTA Spring Championships.

Borat72
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:41 PM
using the term mediocrity had nothing to do with other players and all to do with her abilities if she doesn't strive for number one than *she* is being mediocre, ie not using her abilities to the fullest.....stop looking for bitchiness under every 15 year old rock. :rolleyes:

Let me guess - you are a Williams fan .... ?
;)

Borat72
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Theres nothing wrong in what she said.

Shes saying that naturally, her goal is to be #1. You dont see players saying their goal is to be #2, or 3, or top 50 or 100. Of course they will aim for the best when they are young.

It would be more modest to say that your goal is make the top 10 or so.

But well, that is the typical combination of American culture and youth - brag as you can because you are afraid that otherwise no one might hear you ...

Yelsey
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
While it's nice to know she'd like to be no.1, she lost - and got bageled - to NCAA champion audra cohen a while ago. There's a long road out there!

Asaph
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:42 PM
There is nothing wrong w/ having confidence. Mental strength is a big part of tennis. The only part she should or her coach should have not said was the winning the thrid set. She needs to have some suces to back up those types of stements.
What this thread starter is really about is the typical Anti-American BS. What do the Williams have to do w/ this comment? Nothing, they have proven themselves. Yes, I am an American and a Williams fan and proud of it. Never heard of Coco before but will be rooting for her. If you foreign hate mongers are so Anti-American then all the more reason for us to stick together and support each other.

ico4498
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
About yesterday's match:

"I felt like if I got the match into a third set," Vandeweghe said, "then I'd be the favorite." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Coco, honey...you just got your first hater :devil:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-tennis31jul31,1,724355.story?track=crosspromo&coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=3&cset=true

Venus Williams wins, novice Coco Vandeweghe loses at Carlsbad

Williams' experience shows in first-round Acura Classic tennis match against Anastasia Rodionova. The 15-year-old Vandeweghe loses to veteran Elena Bovina.
By Bill Dwyre, Times Staff Writer
July 31, 2007

CARLSBAD — On the first day of the last Acura Classic on Monday, the future of U.S. tennis fell short and the past and present stood tall.

Coco Vandeweghe, one of several who wear the future label, is 15 years old, got a spot in the main draw of the tournament because she is a local prodigy and played well enough to hint at better days ahead. In the first match of the day, she lost to veteran Elena Bovina of Russia, 6-3, 7-5.

Venus Williams is the past and present, along with her sister Serena, who is not playing here this week. Venus won the last three times she played here, in 2000, 2001 and 2002, and took this year's title at Wimbledon. In Monday night's featured match, she hit hard, served big and beat Russian Anastasia Rodionova, 6-3, 6-0.

The future of women's tennis in the U.S. is an increasingly pressing issue. Serena Williams is the current highest-ranking U.S. player at No. 8. She will be 26 in September. Venus is next at No. 16. She turned 27 in June.

Serena has won eight Grand Slam tournaments, Venus six. No other active U.S. player has come close.

At the moment, the next highest-ranked U.S. player is Meilen Tu, who played out of Northridge for years, lives in Porter Ranch now, will be 30 in January and is No. 41, two slots ahead of Meghann Shaugnessy, who is 28. Lindsay Davenport, who quit the tour last year and has already had a baby, is still the sixth highest-ranked U.S. player at No. 68.

All of which makes Vandeweghe's presence more intriguing. Monday's outing was only her second in a WTA main draw, both times here with wild cards. She hasn't taken the usual junior tennis route and doesn't have a junior ranking high enough to get her into the U.S. Junior Open in a few weeks.

What she does have is enough game to hint at the possibility of making a big move. She also has visions of greatness, or, perhaps, illusions of grandeur.

"Yes, I want to be a pro tennis player," she said Monday. "My ultimate goal is to be No. 1. Why settle for mediocrity?"

The other part of the Vandeweghe intrigue is the pedigree.

Her grandfather is Ernie Vandeweghe, who played for the New York Knicks in 1949-56. Her grandmother is the former Colleen Hutchins, who was Miss America in 1952, and whose brother was Mel Hutchins, the former All-American basketball player at Brigham Young, who went on to become a four-time NBA All-Star.

"That's where all the family athletic ability comes from, from Mel," Ernie said Monday, laughing.

Coco's mother is Tauna, an Olympic swimmer on U.S. teams in 1976 and 1980. Her uncle, Kiki (Ernest Vandeweghe III), was a star basketball player at UCLA, played in the pros for Denver, Portland and the Knicks and was, until a year ago, the general manager of the Nuggets. Another uncle, Bruk, was a pro beach volleyball star for 14 years, and an aunt, Heather, played professional polo and is a doctor in Westwood.

Coco was originally named after her grandmother, but opts now for Coco. She has taken her mother's maiden name.

In the match, she gave away three break points in the first game, had a set point on Bovina's serve in the second and also served for the second set. But in the end, the experience of Bovina, once a quarterfinalist at the U.S. Open and an Australian Open mixed doubles champion, won out.

"I felt like if I got the match into a third set," Vandeweghe said, "then I'd be the favorite."

It was exactly that kind of bravado that carried Venus Williams into the international tennis spotlight 10 years ago, at age 17, with her trip to the U.S. Open final. Now, she is a veteran, a celebrity, and a mainstay of U.S. tennis.

Vandeweghe has skills, desire and a famous family. U.S. tennis needs her to also have a future.

lol

*JR*
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:49 AM
If Coco wants some attention, she should play Masha next year @ IW and say: I'm gonna kick her in the ass. (And then win a set). ;)