PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Rd 1: Sania Mirza def Shahar Peer 6-3 4-6 6-2

ASP0315
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Sania hot streak continues. :rocker2:
Shahar :hug:

pierce0415
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:56 PM
Sania :worship: :dance: :rocker: keep going !!!
Shahar :tape: :haha: finally Lucky Peer paid the price for a tough draw
:dance: :dance: :dance:

Expat
she will lose to elini based on todays performance

Craigy
Great win for Sania!

ViennaCalling
Shahar :help:

WTF is wrong with you? :(

LeRoy.
Girls please fix your serve. seriously

Congrats Sania :bigclap:

Great fight Shahar. Keep trucking and your form will come back :yeah:

Demska
Amazing Sania! :woohoo:

Great win! 3rd top 20 win in two weeks!

Mightymirza
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:57 PM
allez sania!! And shemarcheson! :yeah: mirzamanina continues :) :banana:

VasVas
She is on fire :hug: :woohoo:

saniafan2005
yay.......
go sania.....

Bruno71
Shahar :(

Sania is having a kick-ass US Open series so far.

TheBoiledEgg
Sania ;) :woohoo: ;) :D

pierce0415
Sania faces Eleni next (she will be the heavy favorite), then probably Dinara ... I see another QF

mirzalover
Go Sania

pkilli
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Yay! Well done Sania! Great start! :bounce:

LeRoy.
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Another top 20 scalp :drool:

Next up Pin?

Alexj
Even though Peer was the seed, I dont consider this an upset. Good job Sania!
__________________________________________________ ____________________

~Marion Bartoli~ Anna Chakvetadze~ Ana Ivanovic~ Jelena Jankovic~ Patty Schnyder~ Daniela Hantuchova~ Vera Zvonareva~ Dinara Safina~ Nadia Petrova~ Elena Dementieva~

Mightymirza
allez sania!!! Now go get Danilidous again :yeah: shes a trickey player butu cando it baby!!! Shahar:hug: both players couldnt hold for peanut :tape:

Elwin.

Sania :bowdown:

saniafan2005
go sania....

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:00 PM
Sania's form continues. :worship: I thought she would lose this match just from being so drained, but she fought through it even after blowing the second set. Very well done, Sania. Now keep going! :armed: :D
(Oh, and try to serve better :o LOL)

Shahar :hug: She'll get back on track pretty soon.

WhatTheDeuce
Another top 20 scalp :drool:

Next up Pin?
Next up is Daniilidou I think.

sfselesfan
Someone's officially "a contender" in my eyes now. She's been so inconsistent before, this is really impressive to see her play this well week in and week out. Good job and good luck. I had her written into the semis in my draw sheet, glad she didn't disappoint.

SF

Expat
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:01 PM
what pathetic serving
sania got the rub of the green
i dont see her winning against elini

Dexter
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:01 PM
Great to see Sania keeping up the good form. :yeah: Yay!

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM
i dont see her winning against eleni
Now I'm confident she'll win. Thank you. :)

Minotaur
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Wtf Shahar?

Apoorv
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:03 PM
sania!! keep it up!! :woohoo:

I am afraid this match has taken a lot out of Sania, still I hope she can continue her winning run.

Apoorv
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:03 PM
Pierce0415, plz dont jinx her like you did during Asian Games. :ras:

Natalicious
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:04 PM
congrats sania

Sir Stefwhit
Tough first round for em' both. Nice win for Sania. It appears as though things are finally starting to gell for her. If she can manage to keep this consistency, build confidence, and remain healthy she'll sky rocket up the rankings and live up to some of the hype surroundnig her. She's got the weapons to be a champ, that's for sure. I don't know if she's mentally strong or not, but sometimes that just comes with experience.

Too bad Shahar. She had a great start of the year and I thought now that she's back on hardcourts that she would continue where she left off the first part of the year. I wouldn't count Shahar out just yet, Mirza is playing well enough for it to be a respectable loss. Anyone know what's up next for Shahar?

ASP0315

ignore lalit he is a sania hater without a doubt.

Michael Pemulis
Shahar has definitely lost her game. 6 out of 23 points on second serve are not enough to take home a match. Heart and running are not enough. She should be more aggressive.
Sania is on fire. If she improves footwork, can get top 20!!!

Iceland
Shahar :sad:. She is no longer the same ...

Impressive form Sania ! :banana:

Mightymirza

:spit: :lol:

Expat
i am often wrong but seriously how bad can elini be to lose to such awful serving
btw roger's no patch on gale

Vincey!
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:07 PM
WoW...Sania is playing really well lately :eek:

Apoorv
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM
Shahar. You will be soon in form. Tough players like you keep on working hard. Best of luck!!

Michael Pemulis
Someone's officially "a contender" in my eyes now. She's been so inconsistent before, this is really impressive to see her play this well week in and week out. Good job and good luck. I had her written into the semis in my draw sheet, glad she didn't disappoint.

SF

To get Semi she has to oust Pova, not exactly an easy job. We'll see.

adrovi
Well done Sania

Expat
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:09 PM
ignore lalit he is a sania hater without a doubt.
i just dont think her achievements are that big for entire India to go ga-ga over it
A supporter yes but not a fanatic
BTW can anyone tell me how hard it is to improve serve
must be difficult i havent seen Dementieva improve a little also over the years

Mrs. Peel
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:12 PM
:bounce: vcash!

skumars
Awesome victory again. I hope she walks out of doubles to get some added rest just in case she wins her 2nd round. Her doubles is not scheduled today and I hope she gets the 2nd round earlier than the doubles tomorrow.

ASP0315

i wouldn't expect her to be semis. she needs to beat eleni tommorow and she will succesfully defend her points.
Thats all is what matters now. if she did make to to the semi it will be bonus.

*Jean*
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Wow Sania in great form on hardcourts! :worship:

ASP0315
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:15 PM
i just dont think her achievements are that big for entire India to go ga-ga over it

dude you are disgrace to our country mate.
Ok what did you done for your country. You can't even achieve half of what sania achieved. All you do is sit at home and get fat. do you know how much it takes to get on the court ant play tennis.
Do you you how many medals did sania win at asian games.
Get a clue you punk.

skumars
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:17 PM

She is the only singles player the country has right now, both mens and womens included, who has some potential to compete. Plus, its quite exciting to watch her shots and aggressive game (errors are equally boring, needless to say). To me, these are good enough reasons to follow her. Going ga-ga isn't really the same as being fanatic. Can't you see what happens to Tim Henman in England (I know he showed better results than Sania, but then the hype was proportionately higher too)?

sfselesfan
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:23 PM

We certainly shall. ;)

It's a lot easier than it used to be. I thought Sharapova was going to have problems with Morigami when I filled out my draw...goes to show what I know.

SF

Apoorv
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:23 PM
And no one is going ga ga in India. The electronic media esp. the Hindi news channels ( who have probably lost the certificate to be called news channels ) are not even mentioning her once. There are only handful real believers in her and those have stood by her last year too. I am glad I am one of them and we deserve to be happy over her success.

Apoorv
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM
My last comment was focused on Lalit.

sfselesfan
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:25 PM
I think a lot was made about the support she was getting in Stanford from the Indian population. The bay area has a very large Indian population.

SF

VSandhi
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:26 PM
Congrats Sania!:bounce: With being good friends, it was not going to be a good match you could tell from the SB that they dont like playing against each other. Sania did me proud, not only did she recovered from losing the 2nd set but mentally she's up there in the early rounds. She must be physically drained out or maybe she worked very hard in the 3 months she was out this year.

She was serving crap against Peer cuz she was her friend and felt the pressure, playing against Eleni wont be a problem for Sania, because she will have the crowd behind and defend her points, even if it takes 3 sets so be it! Because as we've seen from Peer match, against Morigami and Bammer she can pull it out the bag. GO Sania!:worship:

Expat
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:27 PM
dude you are disgrace to our country mate.
Ok what did you done for your country. You can't even achieve half of what sania achieved. All you do is sit at home and get fat. do you know how much it takes to get on the court ant play tennis.
Do you you how many medals did sania win at asian games.
Get a clue you punk.

i guess she won some gold medals in doubles and a silver or bronze in singles
btw since when did pointing mistakes become treachery to the country
hail venus hail serena

Expat
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:30 PM
The electronic media esp. the Hindi news channels ( who have probably lost the certificate to be called news channels ) are not even mentioning her once. agree 100%

paranr
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:33 PM
Sania :worship: :dance: :rocker: keep going !!!
Shahar :tape: :haha: finally Lucky Peer paid the price for a tough draw
:dance: :dance: :dance:

this has nothing to do with a tough draw... Shahar is in a slump and she would have lost today to Alexandra Stevenson... OK now I'm exaggerating but any top 100 player would have defeated her today with that form,that serve was ugly.

Apoorv
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Next is Danilidou. Might be tricky but lets see how it goes.

Sania will win. :rocker:

Expat
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:35 PM
this has nothing to do with a tough draw... Shahar is in a slump and she would have lost today to Alexandra Stevenson... OK now I'm exaggerating but any top 100 player would have defeated her today with that form,that serve was ugly.
agree 200%

Neptune
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:37 PM
So bad for Shahar, she's in slump.

Good win for Sania.A lot of people talk about her, but her game has nothing special apart from her forehand but you need more than a forehand to be a good player.

sfselesfan
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:39 PM

Exhibit A = It's not just Williams fans.

SF

skumars
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:42 PM

Good win for Sania.A lot of people talk about her, but her game has nothing special apart from her forehand but you need more than a forehand to be a good player.

You are probably right. But then, in the current women's tennis context, there are a bunch of them who do not probably have anything spectacular. Take, for example, Bartoli. Actually, Sania's b/h isn't really that bad, may not be spectacular though.

Tenis Srbija
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:55 PM
Is it me, or is Shahar in some kinda slump? She had great start of the year, but recently she hasn't done anything serious :shrug:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:55 PM
i am often wrong but seriously how bad can elini be to lose to such awful serving
btw roger's no patch on gale
Sania's return game is impressive when she's playing well. She can often afford to give away some serve games. Daniilidou won't be an exception.

:yawn:

Apoorv
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM

yeh sania's game sucks!! happy now. :rolleyes:

Neptune
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:07 PM
You are probably right. But then, in the current women's tennis context, there are a bunch of them who do not probably have anything spectacular. Take, for example, Bartoli. Actually, Sania's b/h isn't really that bad, may not be spectacular though.

Fair enough.She can easily become a threat if she keeps her consitency at this level but I can't see her going far in Gs at this moment.Her match against Chakvetadze was very revealing.When a player upset her forehand (because the most part of her game is built on her forehand), she has no solution and she's totally lost on the court.

Martian
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:11 PM
I don't care how Sania serves as long as she wins! She has improved from whacking every ball coming towards her :fiery: to selecting the whack; and that is definitely showing its results. Good job Biryani Girl! :worship: :bounce: :hearts:

Mightymirza
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:20 PM
by the way 2 years ago sania dispatched Eleni in straight sets at stanford..Eleni can serve erratically herself and is very streaky..Sania can win this go sania!

Morrissey
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:33 PM
You've got to give Sania credit she played SO MUCH tennis last week remember Sania was the singles final but she also WON the doubles title that's A LOT of tennis. Also want to point out Sania WON the doubles title in Cincinatti last WEEK as well. Now this is GOOD STUFF. But I agree with the other person this isn't a major upset to be honest. We have always said Sania is BETTER then her ranking and she IS. Sania's got the game to DEFINITELY be top 20 that's for sure. Its nice to see her get another top 20 win. Its real nice to see. I also believe Sania has MORE WEAPONS then Shahar does.

dorotek23
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:33 PM
Another solid win for Sania :woohoo:

ASP0315
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:44 PM

I agree.
Bartoli's has an average game nothing spectacular or anything too powerful. the only thing she wons is a bunch of tier III and Tier IV tournaments. Apart from that she doen't really have any other weapons to win bigger tournaments.

renisenb
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:00 PM
Nice win Sania :angel:
Looks like she is having an easy time with the Rank 11-20 players.
Let's get Eleni now!

Cilla
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:06 PM
Mirza :yeah: But, I feel bad for Shahar :sad:

Beny
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:06 PM
So expected.
Peer has been playing poor lately..losing to Govortsova last week while Sania has been playing some of her best tennis so far.
Keep it up,Sania! Your best is yet to come! ;)

Seyz
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:23 PM
The fact that Sania won doubles shows that she's just not all forehead, it means she can play at the net too, or insider the baseline and strategize too.
I think she's going to be top 10 sometime in the future. She's also really young and has a lot of time to work on her game. The only person who has a better forehand then her right now is Serena I think. At least Sania has a weapon.

Apoorv
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:30 PM
Mirza and Peer Put On a Great Show

Sania Mirza (IND) 6 4 6
Shahar Peer (ISR) 3 6 2

India’s Sania Mirza, showing that she’s capable of going deep into the Acura Classic draw, defeated Shahar Peer, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, in a first-round match on Stadium Court.

Peer and Mirza, who are playing doubles together this week, were all business as they pounded heavy ground strokes from the baseline from start to finish during the match which took 2 hours and 3 minutes.

Mirza, who reached the singles final in Stanford last week, continued her impressive play as she used her strong forehand to set up winning points throughout the afternoon.

The momentum of the match swung back and forth as there were a combined 15 service breaks in the match, which was played before a large day session crowd.

After splitting the first two sets, Mirza picked up her game and began pressuring Peer with her service returns.

Mirza opened the final set by holding serve and then broke Peer when the Israeli double faulted on the 14th point of the game. Despite dropping her serve in the next game, Mirza broke back and then fought off a break point in the fifth game to hold serve and take a 4-1 lead.

Later, with the score at 5-2 in Mirza’s favor, Peer served to stay in the match but fell behind 0-30. Mirza then hit a backhand service return long to make the score 15-20.

Mirza got to match point when she slammed a high forehand volley for a winner. On the next point, Mirza pounded a cross court forehand which Peer could only return in the net.

The Indian yelled, “Yes!” and pumped her fist as she celebrated her victory.

Mirza advances to a second round match against Eleni Daniilidou.
Mirza is ranked 31 in the world.
Mirza now leads Peer 2-1 in career head-to-head meetings.
Mirza reached the fourth round of the 2005 US Open.
Mirza improves her 2007 match record to 21-12.
Mira has represented India in Fed Cup play.
Mirza is making her third career Acura Classic appearance. She reached the third round in 2005 and 2006.
Peer and Mirza teamed to win the doubles championship at the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour event in Stanford last week.
Peer is ranked 18 in the world.
Peer has represented Israel in Fed Cup play.
Peer reached the quarterfinals of the 2007 Australian Open.
Peer is making her third career Acura Classic appearance.

viphu
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:35 PM
This is what they say at MSNBC

Mirza, a finalist at Stanford on Sunday, beat her doubles partner by going to the net more often than usual in the final set, trying to shorten rallies. The strategy paid off for Mirza, who said she was tired from playing all week at the Bank of the West Classic.

"I really didn't want to spend so much time on the court,'' said Mirza, who lost in straights sets at Stanford to Anna Chakvetadze. "We all know that (Peer) is one of the best on the Tour at running down shots. If I keep hitting and ripping from behind the baseline, she's going to keep tracking down balls.''

Mirza instead decided uncharacteristically to come to the net in the third set against her Israeli opponent. It worked as Mirza jumped out to a 4-1 lead.

Apoorv
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:39 PM
This is very important comment on MSNBC. This has shown Sania has developed tactically and other options have opened up. Keep it up girl!

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:47 PM
Good to hear Sania tried coming to the net more. :yeah:

skumars
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:26 AM
Fair enough.She can easily become a threat if she keeps her consitency at this level but I can't see her going far in Gs at this moment.Her match against Chakvetadze was very revealing.When a player upset her forehand (because the most part of her game is built on her forehand), she has no solution and she's totally lost on the court.

I would again agree with most of what you said. Until she improves her serve to get a few cheap points and hold more often than not, its hard to compete with the top echelons of the game. Having said that, I would assume Stanford final does not probably reflect her current form due to the combo of lacking fitness compared to the russian girls, overdose of tennis in that last fortnight, and may be a bad day. But things are looking better for her compared to what we used o see, say, an year or 6 months back.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:35 AM
1) She's not "just a forehand." When her game is clicking, her backhand is quite penetrating as well, and she has the ability to hit winners from anywhere on the court, against anyone. Not everyone can do that like she can. She's that good a ballstriker. And plus, her doubles success proves that there's more to her than just her ability to hit hard. She can strategize and hit different shots when she needs to.

2) Yes, her forehand is by far the strongest part of her game and she builds her points around it, but to use that against her isn't fair. Fact of the matter is, it's still one of the best forehands on the WTA Tour (and probably the most explosive as well). And that's more than almost any player can say about any single shot.

You can't have the success she's had lately (or ever) with "just a forehand." Even if it is a damn good one.

:)

F-R-E-A-K
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:37 AM

renisenb
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:15 AM
This is what they say at MSNBC

Mirza, a finalist at Stanford on Sunday, beat her doubles partner by going to the net more often than usual in the final set, trying to shorten rallies. The strategy paid off for Mirza, who said she was tired from playing all week at the Bank of the West Classic.

"I really didn't want to spend so much time on the court,'' said Mirza, who lost in straights sets at Stanford to Anna Chakvetadze. "We all know that (Peer) is one of the best on the Tour at running down shots. If I keep hitting and ripping from behind the baseline, she's going to keep tracking down balls.''

Mirza instead decided uncharacteristically to come to the net in the third set against her Israeli opponent. It worked as Mirza jumped out to a 4-1 lead.

Mirza coming to the net ?? :eek: And winning points?? :eek:
This i've got to see. Does anyone know how i can watch the match, or at least the final set?

selyoink
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:29 AM
Nicely done Sania.

Hardly an upset though since Shahar really hasn't done anything notable since Miami.

Mightymirza
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:17 AM
well its about time that Mirza went to net!Her powerful groundies often give easy putaways at the net! But alot of times shes too tentative somehow up there!Hopefully its changing for thegood..Davai Sania!

genius
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:23 AM

That's a clueless analysis from the poster and you have to agree with that nonsense? which player is spectacular in everything? actually how many big weapons are there in the women's game currently?

Sania's forehand is not just yet another forehand.Its a kind of weapon no one else has currently.

The other parts of the game has to support this one big weapon.That's the understanding you guys need to inculcate.

Hashim.
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:45 AM
:woohoo:
great..now keep on winning :D:kiss:

but the serve :unsure:..plz fix it :o

azhkz
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:25 AM
Welldone SANIA!

Next up ELENI DANIILIDOU from Greece. Sania played her once at Stanford in 2005 and won a three setter 7-6(4) 2-6 6-3

Pasta-Na
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:56 AM
shahar, tati and peng :o hope u girls will get back ur form soon. :p

Kunal
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:18 AM
jus wicked!!!

silviaval
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:14 AM
:eek: Well done Sania!
She is really in great form! Keep going that way! :)

.:sk:.
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:34 AM
Sania :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

-Makiri-
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:39 AM
Sania :woohoo:

skumars
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:56 AM
That's a clueless analysis from the poster and you have to agree with that nonsense? which player is spectacular in everything? actually how many big weapons are there in the women's game currently?

Sania's forehand is not just yet another forehand.Its a kind of weapon no one else has currently.

The other parts of the game has to support this one big weapon.That's the understanding you guys need to inculcate.

The issue was whether she could win a match when her forehand is off. ATM, she can't. Whereas if you see a player like Graf, she would win in 9/10 even when its off. Thats where your rest of the game comes into play. The movement, which is a big necessity when you need to run around and take into f/h is not up to the mark in her case. Besides, serve is another key problem area. Ivanovic, e.g. possesses a big serve to set up a lot of easy points. I never said (or agreed) about other players having a lot of big weapons.

lilimi
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:13 AM
Great Win From Sania. I Hope She'll Stay In Form Till Us Open!

serena_fan
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:19 AM
well done Sania

serena_fan
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM
http://bvc

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM
Shahar :o

but :bigclap: Sania! :yeah:

Neptune
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:30 AM
The issue was whether she could win a match when her forehand is off. ATM, she can't. Whereas if you see a player like Graf, she would win in 9/10 even when its off. Thats where your rest of the game comes into play. The movement, which is a big necessity when you need to run around and take into f/h is not up to the mark in her case. Besides, serve is another key problem area. Ivanovic, e.g. possesses a big serve to set up a lot of easy points. I never said (or agreed) about other players having a lot of big weapons.

Agreed.

My statement was no clueless.I didn't say a player need to be spectacular, I just said Sania has no strenght except her forehand when you see her play and it's not enough for the moment.

I love wtaworld because of that, you need to say what people want to hear or you're clueless. :help:

MistyGrey
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM
:woohoo: Sania!

CORIA01
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:46 AM
wow it seems that it was a great battle
congrats Sania

winone23
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Keep fighting Shahar!!

mandarjj
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:03 PM
well done sania !!

Harju.
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Congrats Sania :woohoo:
A great chance for her to reach QF.

Lulu.
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:04 PM
Well done Sania :bounce:

I cant stand Peer :lol:

Wayn77
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:05 PM
Well done Sania - excellent result.:yeah: :woohoo:

RenaSlam.
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM
Sania owns Peer. :lol:

saniamania
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM
well its about time that Mirza went to net!Her powerful groundies often give easy putaways at the net! But alot of times shes too tentative somehow up there!Hopefully its changing for thegood..Davai Sania!

Agreed. I would really like to watch the 3rd set of the match. If anyone has it taped, could you please share it with us?