PDA

View Full Version : The Real Reason Venus crushed Sharapova

veesbest
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:10 PM
At Wimbledon!!!!!!!! The way sharapova reacted after she her win over venus in miami! A pissed off venus said to herself you know what i know shes not being over the top with this win! I'm venus williams and she'll never forget that name when we play again!

if you did'nt see her reaction check it out on this link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G93cqnH98sc&mode=related&search=

Russianboy
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:13 PM
whatever

winone23
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:16 PM
At Wimbledon!!!!!!!! The way sharapova reacted after she her win over venus in miami! A pissed off venus said to herself you know what i know shes not being over the top with this win! I'm venus williams and she'll never forget that name when we play again!

I guess Venus said I'll get you on a bigger stage!

Shepster
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:17 PM
er, not really, it was just Venus was playing so badly at Wimbledon she knew she had to be at her very best to overcome Sharapova. She played as well as I've ever seen her, but it was out of necessity, not any kind of revenge.

Craigy
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:18 PM
:lol:

égalité
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, a "come on" and a fist pump. Real over the top. And she even SMILED. GOD, MARIA IS SOOOO FULL OF HERSELF.

supergrunt
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:26 PM
The way Sharapova reacted was very annoying... especially considering the quality of the Miami match.

frenchie
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:29 PM
the real reason Venus crushed $harapova at Wimbledon is because she's the better player:shrug:

LANGAM
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:31 PM
Venus should have won that match in Miami, and she knew it. She was totally outp;aying Sharapova in the first set, and she was leading I think in the third set. So she knew she was capable of winning against Sharapova so she did what she had to at Wimbledon. Thats my take on it.

Dan23
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:31 PM
:lol: thanks for letting us know the real reason

Infiniti2001
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:33 PM
The real reason = Venus's serve did not desert her like it did in Miami :shrug:

Princeza
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:34 PM
the real reason Venus crushed $harapova at Wimbledon is because she's the better player:shrug:

Thanks Doc, now give us the reason why Myskina sucks
:shrug:

RenaSlam.
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:36 PM
The real reason = Grass rewards the best athletes on tour.

Venus >>>>>>>>>> Maria in terms of athleticism.

Period.

Shepster
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:44 PM
The real reason = Grass rewards the best athletes on tour.
Hence Marion Bartoli getting to the final...

Craigy
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:45 PM

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:46 PM

can't disagree with that logic :angel:

Serge007
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:50 PM
i think real reason - huge serve

Shepster
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:52 PM
i think real reason - huge serve
Totally - there isn't a woman on tour who can handle an AVERAGE first serve of 115mph coupled with that first serve being in 75% of the time.

mykarma
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:55 PM

I don't think Maria was over the top at all. It's difficult for anyone to beat one of the Williams sisters twice in a row. Plus, I think what got to Venus was the shit that her dad talked about her. :lol: People get mad but Richard Williams knows how to motivate his daughters.

pkilli
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:58 PM
I think Venus's serve is outstanding in her wimbledon match against Maria! If Venus serves like that it's very difficult to beat her. Let's see if they can meet again in Sandiego!

Uranium
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:13 PM
That video shows how big of a female dog(in nice words) Sharapova is because she goes and says come on like a beast at the end and then tries to act nice to Venusn at the net and then continues to rub it in Venus' face. I LOVED THAT VENUS CRUSHED HER AT WIMBLEDON AND WON!!!!

venus_rulez
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:34 PM
I don't even remotely like Sharapova but come on! Who wouldn't be thrilled to not be playing very well (of course Venus was pretty scratchy herself) and still beat the FUCKING Venus Williams on a court she has had tremendous success on 7-5 in the third? I think anyone on tour, other than serena for obvious reasons, would react the same way to beating Venus in the same circumstances.

vwfan
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:58 PM
The real reason is exactly what Richard said: she has no business losing to Maria. She does most things as well or better.

In Miami, Venus' serve let her down, she had forgotten how to close out matches against top players, and it was only her second tournment back after a long layoff and surgery. At Wimbledon, all of those circumstances shifted in her favor: she found her serve, remembered what champions do to close out matches once they have an opponent on the ropes, and she had gotten some additional match play. Not to mention, Venus rules on grass!

I don't think Maria over-reacted. She really didn't want another Williams beatdown, but she got it anyway in the next round. :lol:

eugreene2
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Some of thes threads are hilarious ... I'm glad people know these players PERSONALLY! lol

RJWCapriati
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:07 PM
I am definitely not a Maria fan but that wasn't over the top......Venus doesn't like to lose to anyone 2 straight times.

serenafan08
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:12 PM
Venus won because she's the better player on grass...she moves better, plays better defense, has better volleys, and serves bigger. Pretty simple. :shrug:

iWill
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:05 PM
Venus should have won that match in Miami, and she knew it. She was totally outp;aying Sharapova in the first set, and she was leading I think in the third set. So she knew she was capable of winning against Sharapova so she did what she had to at Wimbledon. Thats my take on it.

Yeah thats my thoughts exactly and it actually prolly helped Venus at Wimbledon because she couldnt get the win in Miami and neither played extremely well so it was prolly hard for Sharapova to feel very confident against Vee because she barely got away in Miami and she had lost to her their last meeting on grass

beecharmer
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:07 PM

From that pic i think we can all agree... Serena needs fibre

mdterp01
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:50 PM
The real reason is because Venus is an elite grass court player while Sharapova is not. Venus has proven that both times she's met up with Sharpie on the green grass of Wimbledon.

GracefulVenus
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:47 PM
I don't think Maria was over the top at all. It's difficult for anyone to beat one of the Williams sisters twice in a row. Plus, I think what got to Venus was the shit that her dad talked about her. :lol: People get mad but Richard Williams knows how to motivate his daughters.

Agreed! Maria was so excited! And so was Venus when she defeated her at Wimbledon 05'. I think Venus also lost to Maria @ Miami that year.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:05 PM
the real reason Venus crushed Sharapova, is when fit she's the better more well rounded player.

Max565
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Wimbledon was so last month... :o

bridgepea
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:22 PM
LOL the one about Marion Bartoli. Very funny

Shepster
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:13 PM
The real reason is because Venus is an elite grass court player while Sharapova is not. Venus has proven that both times she's met up with Sharpie on the green grass of Wimbledon.
No, Venus has proven she's a better grass court player than Sharapova, to claim Sharapova isn't an elite player on the surface is ridiculous.

Final of Birmingham (loses to Jankovic)
4th round of Wimbledon (loses to eventual champion Venus)

Semifinal of Birmingham (loses to Jackson)
Semfinal of Wimbledon (loses to eventual champion Mauresmo)

Won Birmingham (def Jankovic in final)
Semifinal of Wimbledon (loses to eventual champion Venus)

Won Birmingham (def Golovin in final)
Won Wimbledon (def Serena in final, beat 2 former champions en route)

Semifinal of Birmingham (through qualifying, loses to Asagoe, beat #1 seed en route)
4th round of Wimbledon (loses to Kuznetsova)

Yeah, "not an elite grass court player" = lol-enducing.

LoveFifteen
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:22 PM
No, IMG decided who would win their Wimbledon match. :haha:

Donny
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:31 PM
Venus crushed Maria because she's in a whole other league from Sharapova.

Mightymirza
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:47 PM
:lol: I was expecting someone to say the ass whooping Serena handed to Maria at AO 07 :spit:

RenaSlam.
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:48 PM

It's not my fault Enna, one of the best athletes on tour, faltered meekly in the SF. Grass just isn't her surface I guess. :wavey:

sfselesfan
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:17 AM
I didn't think Maria's reaction was over the top or anything. I just think Serena and Venus have a "who can kick Maria's a$$ hardest" contest going on. Rather that competing with one another directly they beat up on Maria.

SF

mdterp01
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:23 AM
No, Venus has proven she's a better grass court player than Sharapova, to claim Sharapova isn't an elite player on the surface is ridiculous.

Final of Birmingham (loses to Jankovic)
4th round of Wimbledon (loses to eventual champion Venus)

Semifinal of Birmingham (loses to Jackson)
Semfinal of Wimbledon (loses to eventual champion Mauresmo)

Won Birmingham (def Jankovic in final)
Semifinal of Wimbledon (loses to eventual champion Venus)

Won Birmingham (def Golovin in final)
Won Wimbledon (def Serena in final, beat 2 former champions en route)

Semifinal of Birmingham (through qualifying, loses to Asagoe, beat #1 seed en route)
4th round of Wimbledon (loses to Kuznetsova)

Yeah, "not an elite grass court player" = lol-enducing.

The only thing lol-INducing is people who are so quick to jump at something when they think its an insult. Venus has 4 Wimbledon titles and has been in what...6 finals total? Are you seriously trying to imply that Sharapova is in the same league as Venus on grass? Thats lol INducing. I didn't say Sharapova wasn't a good grass court player. She's definitely one of the best in terms of the current active ladies but err umm...she's not in Venus' category on grass at this stage in their careers. Your definition of elite sure is inclusive.

Matt01
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:47 AM
Venus crushed Maria because she's in a whole other league from Sharapova.

That's probably also why Sharpie is Top 2 in the world while Venus isn't even Top 15 :o

Shepster
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:58 AM
She's definitely one of the best in terms of the current active ladies but err umm...she's not in Venus' category on grass at this stage in their careers. Your definition of elite sure is inclusive.
If "elite" means "the sole person or thing that is the best of its kind" then I'd agree with you, but sadly it doesn't. It refers to a group of who are superior/the most skilled.*Your* definition of elite sure is exclusive if it doesn't include Sharapova. Tell me, who else is elite if not her? Well, surely you've got to be a Wimbledon champion to be considered "elite", which means Mauresmo, Shazza, Venus and Serena. Venus beat Sharapova twice on grass, Serena beat Mauresmo twice, Mauresmo beat Sharapova, Sharapova beat Serena, Serena beat Venus 2-1. Saying Venus is better than Sharapova as proof of not being elite is impossible to take seriously, it just means Sharapova isn't the "best", when elite means being "one of the best" (which is why you said "an" elite player rather than "the" elite player). I don't like Sharapova. I don't particularly like Venus. Of the two I prefer Venus purely on personality but to deny Sharapova's place as one of the best in the world on the surface is fallacious.

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:01 AM
The real reason = Venus's serve did not desert her like it did in Miami :shrug:

Exactly. ;)

vettipooh
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
That's probably also why Sharpie is Top 2 in the world while Venus isn't even Top 15 :o

Don't matter though!!!:lol: 4 wimbly's, 2 us open's, and a single and double in Olympic gold!!!:worship: Beat top 2's own any day!!!:o Sh$t.......Vee can be ranked 200 for all I care. She's proved it don't matter!!! If she finds that little screamer on grass, she's crushed meat!!:p

Viktymise
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM
LOL im sure Sharapova would trade Venus her number 2 ranking for the Wimbledon title :lol:

winone23
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:46 AM

It doesn't matter if Venus is ranked 2, 10, or 15. She has proven that she can win slams no matter what her rankings is. Plus winning slams while ranked low only adds to Venus' myth and legendary status.

acetoace
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:27 PM

Yeah, a paper rank I would say......The No.2 Ranking is hollow at this point. Has Pova justified it lately? Let's see if POVA would be any where close to that rank come Dec 07. From 05 - 07, how many slams did pova win with the No.2 rank despite playing FULL TIME in the same period?

Now, refresh my memory if u may.....how many has Venus won in the same period despite playing part time?

vwfan
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM
I don't like Sharapova. I don't particularly like Venus. Of the two I prefer Venus purely on personality but to deny Sharapova's place as one of the best in the world on the surface is fallacious.
:lol: Then why are you up in a thread about them pontificating as if your life depends on it. I never quite understand what possesses posters to hang out in threads about players they don't really like engaged in a constant back and forth. Guess a healthy love of debate!:confused:

Sharapova is good on grass and in fact has a better overall career W/L record on grass than Venus does, but she is too early in her career and accomplishments to be considered elite in my view. Repeatedly accomplishing the same significant event is what makes you elite. She has one Wimbledon title in four or five years. Her other grass court results don't really matter that much in defining her as elite.

Donny
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:01 PM

Did you see the match? assuming you did, I will remind you that Venus played a caliber of tennis which Sharapova has yet to reach- indeed, I myself doubt if she'd EVER be able to play that well.

Venus made Sharapova look like a wildcard player.

Donny
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:03 PM
If "elite" means "the sole person or thing that is the best of its kind" then I'd agree with you, but sadly it doesn't. It refers to a group of who are superior/the most skilled.*Your* definition of elite sure is exclusive if it doesn't include Sharapova. Tell me, who else is elite if not her? Well, surely you've got to be a Wimbledon champion to be considered "elite", which means Mauresmo, Shazza, Venus and Serena. Venus beat Sharapova twice on grass, Serena beat Mauresmo twice, Mauresmo beat Sharapova, Sharapova beat Serena, Serena beat Venus 2-1. Saying Venus is better than Sharapova as proof of not being elite is impossible to take seriously, it just means Sharapova isn't the "best", when elite means being "one of the best" (which is why you said "an" elite player rather than "the" elite player). I don't like Sharapova. I don't particularly like Venus. Of the two I prefer Venus purely on personality but to deny Sharapova's place as one of the best in the world on the surface is fallacious.

Your argument would be true, if the poster had defined elite as "best active players". I'm not sure that he did.

Kunal
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:10 PM
what stupifying reasons does one have to come up with for showing why she won wimby

reason she won it was.....she got into her zone.....that happening in wimbledon means trouble for every other player

trufanjay
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:28 PM
Well if Venus plays her game against Maria then Venus will win. She is a much better player than Maria so. If Venus is in the zone Maria has no chance.

mankind
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM
The second point played in those highlights is proof of how one-dimensional Maria is. She set up the point with a great return, Venus hit a half-decent shot at the shoelaces and Maria was floundering at the net.

Infiniti2001
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:43 PM

Are you serious? http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7109/funnygo1.gif

eck
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:47 PM

switz
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:53 PM
what a dumb thread. i enjoyed Venus beating down Maria at Wimbledon immensely but there wasn't even anything wrong with the way Sharapova reacted anyway.

In fact she went to do that friendship handshake Venus wasn't having any of it.

Infiniti2001
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
what a dumb thread. i enjoyed Venus beating down Maria at Wimbledon immensely but there wasn't even anything wrong with the way Sharapova reacted anyway.

In fact she went to do that friendship handshake Venus wasn't having any of it.

:help: UMMMM Venus has ALWAYS been one of the most gracious and polite players on tour since she was 17. Win or lose she greets her opponents with respect at the net :shrug:
Enjoy :wavey:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PXCMPSCpI08

Matt01
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah, a paper rank I would say......The No.2 Ranking is hollow at this point. Has Pova justified it lately? Let's see if POVA would be any where close to that rank come Dec 07. From 05 - 07, how many slams did pova win with the No.2 rank despite playing FULL TIME in the same period?

Now, refresh my memory if u may.....how many has Venus won in the same period despite playing part time?

From 2004, when Pova became a Top player, till now, Pova achieved more than Venus, I thnk that's obvious to see.
And I don't know why you talk about Sharpie being a "full-time player" while Venus being a "part-time player". Both players had their injuries/were not fit in the past, but being fit/uninjured is a part of the game to achieve something. And in the last few years, Pova was more conistant than Venus, and that should also count for something; tennis is not only about winning Wimbledon (which Pova achieved as well...).

And for the record, Pova is one of my least favorite players, I like her less than Venus...but I give her credit where credit is due...and in the last few years, Venus was not in a "totally different league" than Pova...

Did you see the match? assuming you did, I will remind you that Venus played a caliber of tennis which Sharapova has yet to reach- indeed, I myself doubt if she'd EVER be able to play that well.

Venus made Sharapova look like a wildcard player.

Yes, I saw that match, but it was only one match :rolleyes: Pova still leads their head-to-head, why didn't Venus make Pova look like a wildcard player in their previous meetings?

Shepster
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Then why are you up in a thread about them pontificating as if your life depends on it. I never quite understand what possesses posters to hang out in threads about players they don't really like engaged in a constant back and forth. Guess a healthy love of debate!
Exactly, if I were talking of any other sport I wouldn't restrict myself solely to expressing an opinion on teams I like. That would mean as soon as Chelsea get knocked out of the Champions League I would have no interest in discussing football or when the Dolphins don't make the playoffs I'm suddenly not going to have an opinion on NFL? Unfortunately for me most of the players I like aren't successful, doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on the sport as a whole and the best players.

Kenny
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM
This whole argument is just so STUPID. It's incredibly annoying to hear this argument rehashed over and over a-fucking-gain.

friendsita
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:02 PM
Miami people really love Masha... plop total!