PDA

View Full Version : Bank Of The West Extends Stanford Sponsorship

tennisIlove09
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:02 AM
Bank Of The West Extends Stanford Sponsorship
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/MirzaGETTYbhStanford.jpg
Photo By Getty Images By Tennis Week
07/30/2007

Stanford can bank on title sponsorship for the next five years. Bank of the West President and Chief Operating Officer Michael Shepherd announced that Bank of the West will extend its title sponsorship of the Bank of the West Classic for another five years, ensuring the 37-year-old women's event remains in the Bay Area until 2012.

Top-seeded Anna Chakvetadze claimed her second straight title and fourth of the season with a 6-3, 6-2, victory over Sania Mirza before a sold-out crowd of 3,733. The final, televised nationally by ESPN2, drew the largest crowd since the 2005 final in which Kim Clijsters beat Venus Williams. The tournament drew 32,204 fans for the week, an increase of more than 1,300 over the 2006 tournament total.
Bank of the West has committed to serving as title sponsor through 2012, however the existing deal with Stanford expires after 2009. Tournament director Adam Barrett said he is working with University officials to extend the agreement and believes the tournament will remain in Stanford for years to come. "I met with them earlier this week to extend that agreement," Barrett said in comments published by the Palo Alto Daily News. "And I think they're very excited to do it. ... This is our home. It's been our home for many years, and it will be our home for many, many more years."

LeRoy.
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:04 AM
wow. How did two non US players draw such a huge crowd ? Neither of them has been a really top player either :shrig: (Yes Anna is # 6 but she isn't that well known )

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:09 AM
:woohoo: More WCs for the US College girls :worship:

darrinbaker00
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:18 AM
wow. How did two non US players draw such a huge crowd ?
They didn't. Most people who attended (like me, for instance) bought their tickets before What's-Her-Name pulled out with the little ouchie on her thumb, and didn't want those tickets to go to waste.

tenn_ace
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:21 AM
good for Bank of the West. When I get to the CEO position of my company, my company will sponsor New Haven.

antonella
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:23 AM
ensuring the 37-year-old women's event remains in the Bay Area until 2012

Where else could they consider moving it.. to China??

urklerlay
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:37 AM
Mirza making the final saved that tourney. Pre-sales couldn't have been that big considering Serena was supposed to play here the last couple of years also (only to drop out every time). Walk up sales were huge due to Sania's large Indian following.

darrinbaker00
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:48 AM
Mirza making the final saved that tourney. Pre-sales couldn't have been that big considering Serena was supposed to play here the last couple of years also (only to drop out every time). Walk up sales were huge due to Sania's large Indian following.
When I tried to buy baseline tickets for the final online, I couldn't; all they had left were the cheap seats. It was nice to see all the transplanted Indians there rooting for Sania, though.