PDA

View Full Version : What the chance for Maria to defend this USOpen?

LoveAndy
Jul 30th, 2007, 10:52 PM
10%?

sfselesfan
Jul 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I'll say unlikely...but there's a lot of time left for me to change that assessment. So far, not so good.

SF

goldenlox
Jul 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I haven't seen the betting odds, but I expect Sharapova to be one of the favorites.

tennisIlove09
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Who thought Serena would win the OZ?
Who thought Venus would win WB?

Sharapova will be a favorite in New York regardless of what her summer is. I wouldnt count her out until she is actually out of the tournament. She is one of the sports best fighters. She will fight to defend her title, just as she fought very hard in 05 in attempt to defend her Wimbledon title. It took one heck of a match to beat her then, and I sense it will be the same in New York.

Russianboy
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:33 PM

Sharapova will be a favorite in New York regardless of what her summer is. I wouldnt count her out until she is actually out of the tournament. She is one of the sports best fighters. She will fight to defend her title, just as she fought very hard in 05 in attempt to defend her Wimbledon title. It took one heck of a match to beat her then, and I sense it will be the same in New York.

why are not all williams fans like you? :kiss:

LindsayRulz
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I think we should wait to see how she plays this summer before guessing her chance at the Open :)

heytennis
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:42 PM
No one can say. Favourites for the Open should be decided after a few big tournaments.

blamoh
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE=tennisIlove09;11311598]Who thought Serena would win the OZ?

Sharapova will be a favorite in New York regardless of what her summer is. I wouldnt count her out until she is actually out of the tournament. She is one of the sports best fighters. She will fight to defend her title, just as she fought very hard in 05 in attempt to defend her Wimbledon title. It took one heck of a match to beat her then, and I sense it will be the same in New York.[/QUOTE
If 6-1 loss in the second set is called hard fought by you
then I don't know what you will call three setters.
In the first place, defending a grandslam title is very
different from ordinary tournament. And Sharapova has not
been able to defend the big titles.
As usual she will be considered a favorite but it is yet
to be seen.

blamoh
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:55 PM

If 6-1 loss in the second set is a hard fought then I
wonder what you will call three setters.
To defend a grandslam title is different from ordinary
tournament and Sharapova has not been able to do so in the
big tournament. I don't doubt her ability though.

serenafan08
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:15 AM
If she can get a few big wins this summer, then I wouldn't be surprised to see her defend in New York. I wouldn't be surprised to see her defend anyway, though. Maria will fight until the last ball is struck - that goes without saying. I think her problem is when she runs into these players that play like her - they hit big and like to dictate. She's got to come up with a plan B against those players - the Williams sisters, Ivanovic, Vaidisova, and Jankovic - because they all move better than she does. She hasn't quite figured out what to do when her A game is off, and that might be the difference. At the absolute worst, she'll make the quarters - I don't see her losing before then.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:29 AM
i cant see her winning it at all but she will probably get to the 1/4s

Shepster
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:34 AM
I'd be a bit kinder than 10% and say 1 in 5. It'll either be a Williams, Henin, her or someone else (pretty much equal weighting of those 5 options). Put it another way, there are very few people who have a better chance of winning than her.

kabuki
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:57 AM
I'm not writing her off, especially considering that Serena and Amelie are on the mend, Justine doesn't relish the surface, Venus is Venus (:unpredictable: ), and the rest of the pack may not be ready for the breakthrough.

heytennis
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:02 AM

Did you see the match with Venus at Wimbledon 2005?

It was definately hard fought.

She fought out of a big hole in the first set and made the match very competitive while Venus was playing amazingly.

Wiggly
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:04 AM
Its depend if she can turn her season around before the US Open.
It would be so weird to see her coming into the Open withtout any Title.

Zweli
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:20 AM
She will make it to the Qr's at least,but don't see her progressing further,if she continues to be off form like she is at the moment.She needs to rediscover her game if she hopes to defend ,no offence to her fans.

mila_mail
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:24 AM
I just hope she can be defeated in the first round

RenaSlam.
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:49 AM
1%

Il Primo!
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:49 AM
Call me crazy but after Venus, she's the most likely to win IMO. Serena is kind of injured, Hénin can be overpowered, she can definitely beat the Serbians. I mean, she can really do it fair and square!

SeaUrchin
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:00 AM
0%. I hope she draws Venus for the 4th round.

It's time she drops out of top 5.

Andy.
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:10 AM
If she can get a few big wins this summer, then I wouldn't be surprised to see her defend in New York. I wouldn't be surprised to see her defend anyway, though. Maria will fight until the last ball is struck - that goes without saying. I think her problem is when she runs into these players that play like her - they hit big and like to dictate. She's got to come up with a plan B against those players - the Williams sisters, Ivanovic, Vaidisova, and Jankovic - because they all move better than she does. She hasn't quite figured out what to do when her A game is off, and that might be the difference. At the absolute worst, she'll make the quarters - I don't see her losing before then.
I wouldnt say Ivanovic and Vaidisova move better than she does.

Si_Hi
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:21 AM
1/128 ;)
everyone has a chance.

tennisIlove09
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:58 AM

Did you see the match against Venus? Even though it was a straight sets win, it was probably the highest quality big babe tennis EVER.

Sund7101
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:33 AM
.5% :shrug:

serenafan08
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:35 AM
I wouldnt say Ivanovic and Vaidisova move better than she does.

Well Sharapova and Vaidisova have yet to play each other, so we'll see about that. But Ivanovic has beaten her twice already, so that tells the tale to me.

heytennis
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:50 AM
Well Sharapova and Vaidisova have yet to play each other, so we'll see about that. But Ivanovic has beaten her twice already, so that tells the tale to me.

The H2H is 2-1 for Ana but one was the retirement in Tokyo.

I think they are pretty evenly matched right now.

Dan23
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:52 AM
It doesnt tell you a lot about who was moving better. It says more about who was serving better and placing their shots in court more often ;)

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:54 AM
I think if Maria's shoulder holds up, then I think she can defend it. If she faces a tough player early, then I don't know.

Alexj
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:55 AM
10%?

I completely agree. She's suffered horrible losses to Serena, Ana, and Venus in the others and will happen again at the US Open.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

~Marion Bartoli~ Anna Chakvetadze~ Ana Ivanovic~ Jelena Jankovic~ Patty Schnyder~ Daniela Hantuchova~ Vera Zvonareva~ Dinara Safina~ Nadia Petrova~ Elena Dementieva~

RJWCapriati
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:15 AM
5%

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:53 AM
I would say 5 to 10% percent myself. But that actually isn't bad. All but half a dozen women on the tour would be delighted to have 5 to 10% odds for winning a Slam. 5 to 10% still puts Maria up there with the favorites.

jack daniels
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:57 AM
Nil

goldlion
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:14 AM
She might not be able to defend her title but she probably can reach the final.

It's the last slam of the year and players are already exhausted, espeically those who have won several titles in this year.

But Maria hasn't won anything yet and she will just step up and fire up her season.

She won't give up easily and will find another find to defeat the big names.

We will see by her performance in San Diego.

It's NOT yet the time for her to be out of Top 5 and she won't be out from it in recent years.

Don't forget Jankovic also has SF points to defend as well.

Shimizu Amon
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:43 AM
It's still too far ahead to already make a prediction whether or not she will able to defend her title at this years USO. I'm looking at the present and I'm not going to predict the future this time.
I'm hoping that Masha's injury is something from the past. If so she can gain match practice and confidence. If not I don't have high hopes for the rest of this year.

mandynyuna
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:17 PM
She has a 20% chance of winning. Realistically I see only 5 players capable of winning the US Open now. Venus, Justine, Serena, Maria and Ana. Nicole and Jelena are good bets too.

Maria always does well at slams so she should make the quarters. After that, it just depends on who she faces. A major factor I feel is that she could go into this slam WITHOUT a title to her name this year. That could play on her mind a lot because she wants to 1) Defend her title and 2) FINALLY win a title

If she goes into this slam with a title then she will probably feel less pressure. So the lead up to the slam is crucial for her.

Max565
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:52 PM
I think she has a good chance... she'll reach a semis but I don't think she'll win it.

Beny
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:12 PM
It's too early to say.
I would say 25%..same as Venus',Serena's and Justine's ;)

aussie_fan
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:28 PM
At the moment, not that great of a chance, but should wait to see how she goes over the next few weeks to see how her form is on the hard courts.

vwfan
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:31 PM
she's got a 1 in 5 chance, depending on her draw and if she has worked out her serving and shoulder issues.

SharapovaFan16
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:38 PM
I think anyone can win the Open this year. Maria really peaked at the Open last year and played some of her better tennis. Who's to say she can't do it again. Any player falls into this mix though... let's see the preseason to the U.S. Open then make a top 3 or 5 list of contenders.

venusallday
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:13 PM
I think MaSha will make it to the semis, unless she plays a Williams in the quarters. I think that is a possibility because I see Venus at 8 and Serena at 7 by the time the US Open roles around. However, when is the last time Maria Sharapova had a tough draw. She always seems to have the easiest road to the final 4, and that is why she has made so many semis(except for this year's wimby, and we all know how that draw turned out for her). Poor Justine is the number 1 seed at every tourny and she always gets Serena in the quarters. I hope the Open will do us all a favor and put the Williams sisters on opposite sides so we can end the year with a good final.

Shepster
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:27 PM
However, when is the last time Maria Sharapova had a tough draw. She always seems to have the easiest road to the final 4
Never understood how this myth gets perpetuated by Williams fans to denigrate her performances. Last year at the US Open she was *scheduled* for Mary Pierce in the 4th round and Myskina/Petrova in the quarters. Aussie Open this year was no different to the bottom 1/4 of the draw, she got Ivanovic and the winner of Chakvetadze/Schnyder, Mauresmo drew Schiavone and the winner of Vaidisova/Dementieva - others had it easier. French Open she DREW Mauresmo in the quarters, Amelie didn't get there but that's not Maria's fault. This year's Wimbledon was horrific, she got Venus in the last 16 and Kuznetsova in the 1/4, only Hantuchova got worse than that with Serena in the 16 and Henin in the 1/4 (but she always gets tough draws). Better question would be when did she last have an easy draw? Wimbledon 06 with Pennetta at the 16 and Dementieva in her 1/4.

ASP0315
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:35 PM
I'll give more than 10 % . Lets see how about 50%.(assuming she gets a very good draw like last year.)

moon
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:15 PM
she's got a 1 in 5 chance, depending on her draw and if she has worked out her serving and shoulder issues.

I agree.
20% chance.
Along with Henin, Serena, Venus, and Maureso, there are also Ivanovic and Jankovic who could give her trouble.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:17 PM
Did you see the match against Venus? Even though it was a straight sets win, it was probably the highest quality big babe tennis EVER.

NO NO the final was :)

xan
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:49 PM
NO NO the final was :)

The final was a washout. Both players were nervous and made countless errors. the semi was a far higher standard

nelsondan
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:03 PM
jacey reported this----if she has changed her motion, that could mean an early exit, or a serious run at the title if she is able to serve consistently. 126? Even she expressed doubts about that.

Jacey

vCash: $151
Re: Maria Plays WTT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

while playing wtt the commentaters were talking about Maria's new service motion....saying it was abbreviated because of the strain on her shoulder...they said it was more clean...only she's not used to it yet. They also said she was serving as fast as 126....which is real good, so maybe she just needs to get in the hang of this new motion

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:58 PM
let's see her summer first :)

ASP0315
Jul 31st, 2007, 07:09 PM
let's see her summer first :)

agreed.