PDA

View Full Version : Alexandra Stevenson: "I'm not a quitter. If I quit, I could never forgive myself"

spiceboy
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20070729-9999-1s29acuracol.html

TENNIS JERRY MAGEE
Time for Stevenson to find another line

UNION-TRIBUNE

July 29, 2007

CARLSBAD – Her triumphs now are merely getting through matches. It isn't enough, not nearly, not for a tennis player who had what Alexandra Stevenson did.

Alexandra, please accept this kindly. As I suggested to you yesterday, I long have felt you could be a factor in the women's game. Through all your times away from tennis and your struggles to regain the full use of your postoperative shoulder, I have continued to believe that one day you would have it all again, all those magical assets you had when at 18 you hit through to the semifinals at Wimbledon, captivating Great Britain with your power and your pretty little curtsies.

Alexandra, it isn't happening and it doesn't seem as if it will. To strive as you have is commendable. Nothing is more noble than to persist in endeavoring to overcome an outcome that is preordained. But it has been too long, Alexandra. You have a life to live. In December, you will be 27, which is nine years from when you had your grand moment at Wimbledon. Your shoulder surgery, the source of your travail, was in September 2004, and you still would not seem fully recovered.

Give it up, Alexandra. Sing and dance. You always have wanted to, to become a star, to have your name in lights. There are worlds apart from tennis. You have borne enough pain, had enough chastening experiences.
“I'm not a quitter,” Stevenson said with emphasis yesterday following another disappointment for her, a 6-4, 6-1 defeat to Yulianna Fedak of Ukraine in the opening round of the Acura Classic's qualifying procedure. “If I quit,” she added, “I could never forgive myself.”

For the La Jolla Country Day School alumna to go on attempting to resurrect her career, however, would be an exercise in futility. Watching her yesterday, I thought back to the first time I saw Stevenson. The player I observed yesterday was difficult to associate with that 16-year-old I looked up when she was playing in the junior phase of the U.S. Open on a court that was back in that gathering of trees that then served to soften the National Tennis Center.

Opposing Stevenson was Amelie Mauresmo, who was as celebrated a junior player as she has become at the highest level of the women's game. She had won a couple of the junior events that are offered at the Grand Slam tournaments, but she did not overwhelm Stevenson, who might have won, I thought, if she had been more mindful of playing to the score.

No matter what it was, she would lean into strokes that were like haymakers. Mauresmo won, if I recall correctly, 6-4, 6-4, but you had to admire Alexandra, with her youth and her size and her willingness to go for winners.
The Stevenson on the Grandstand court at the La Costa Resort and Spa yesterday didn't have the spontaneity of the teenager I observed so long ago. She didn't have the serve, either, or the ground strokes. Her forehand return of serve was particularly fragile. Her shoulder, she said, no longer is the problem it was, but while dealing with the frailties of her shoulder, she has developed a right pectoral muscle strain. The right upper half of her body was heavily taped when she took the court against Fedak and she said she had been unable to hit tennis balls for a week.

“You lose strength with the ball,” Stevenson said of her pectoral injury. She termed her play against Fedak “a disaster,” but this woman is not easily daunted. “It's coming back,” she said of her game.

“She's this close,” contended her mother, Samantha, holding her hands about 2 inches apart.

Samantha Stevenson, I might note, is a person I most admire, and not because she once was a sports writer. Not everyone in the tennis community shares my regard for Samantha, who is willing to go to almost any end in her daughter's behalf, but I find this appealing. Score one for motherhood.
As I adjudged Alexandra's effort yesterday, just about the only positive thing she achieved was being able to finish the match, and that was a near thing. She had to summon a trainer to attend to her pectoral problem when she trailed 0-3 in the second set.

Stevenson this season had to retire at Cincinnati. At Indian Harbour Beach, Fla. At Sea Island, Ga. At Houston. At Troy, Ala. At Ashland, Ky. She has won only three matches this year, according to the records of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. Alexandra, you have borne enough. No one aware of what you have experienced could consider you a quitter.

Emma Murphy's heart, meantime, had to be somewhere else yesterday. On Friday, the former USD player had been advised that her father had suffered a heart attack in County Cork, Ireland. Emma was out there yesterday, running down every ball as she always does and making a bold stand in coming from 1-5 down in the second set before falling to Mathilde Johansson, a smoothie from France.
Emma's father survived his attack, but he remains hospitalized. She is scheduled to leave for Ireland this morning.

tennisfan5
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:27 PM
delusional

tennisIlove09
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I dont think anyone should tell someone else to give it up, I dont care what their results are. If Alexandra still loves the game, she should still play. Obviously she feels like she can still do some damage on tour, or she probably would have given up by now. I commend Alex for her will and wanting to do better.

Just Do It
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I really hope she will enter top100 one day, I really do !

:hug:

égalité
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Then why do you retire so often? :tape:

LCS
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Who cares...?

Demska
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM
:haha:

And pigs fly. Really Lexy, get over the mature attitude towards tennis. You're a joke and will always be by the amount of times you retire in a year.

Poova
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Then why do you retire so often? :tape:
LMAO I was about to say the same thing! :haha::tape:

Paneru
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:56 PM
You tell 'em Lexy! :kiss:

Just keep working hard and it
will come to you again. I know it!

The same that mock and laugh now
will go silent or kiss your behind! :cool:

Tennis-Chick
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Emma :sad:

About Lexy, I don't think she should listen to this man, continue to fight back! :yeah:

Playballk
Jul 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I dont think anyone should tell someone else to give it up, I dont care what their results are. If Alexandra still loves the game, she should still play. Obviously she feels like she can still do some damage on tour, or she probably would have given up by now. I commend Alex for her will and wanting to do better.

I really hope she will enter top100 one day, I really do !

:hug:

I agree that know one should tell you when you should quit. But tennis has passed Alexandra Stevenson by years ago. I don't think she has the talent to make the top 100 anymore. There are far better Americans that are moving up in the rankings. I was surprised when Stevenson finished the match.

Infiniti2001
Jul 30th, 2007, 08:16 PM
You tell 'em Lexy! :kiss:

Just keep working hard and it
will come to you again. I know it!

The same that mock and laugh now
will go silent or kiss your behind! :cool:

C'mon on now Paneru :lol: :help:

Paneru
Jul 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM
C'mon on now Paneru :lol: :help:

When no one else believes in you,
you have to believe in yourself!

Let 'em all whatever they will!

Tenis Srbija
Jul 30th, 2007, 08:24 PM
What's up with all the Alexandra fuss right now :shrug: Has anything changed??? :scratch: Nope, she is still loosing/retiring...

tae04
Jul 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM
play challengers for a year

LoveFifteen
Jul 30th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Awww, Paneru. :hug:

======

Honestly, it's really sad that she had the one good result of her career in a Grand Slam. It was really a one-off performance, guys. After that 1999 Wimbledon run to the Semis, she has won only four matches at Slams. Four! She's had 15 first-round exits at the Slams since her 1999 Wimbledon dream-run. She has won zero title in her career. It's a shame that she had that dream run at an important tournament because now we have to hear about her even 8 years later. If she's had that dream run the week before in Birmingham or s'Hertogenbosh or whatever, we'd never ever be hearing about this girl again. :shrug:

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Maybe she doesn't quit the tour, but she quits within almost every match she plays, so really, what's the difference?

She says her game is coming back, but she's shown no evidence of that at all. Sad article, and I agree with whoever wrote it. It's time to throw in the towel and pursue her dreams of becoming the next J.Lo.

Paneru
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:10 PM
What's up with all the Alexandra fuss right now :shrug: Has anything changed??? :scratch: Nope, she is still loosing/retiring...

And y'all are still talking. :p

Paneru
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:27 PM

======

Honestly, it's really sad that she had the one good result of her career in a Grand Slam. It was really a one-off performance, guys. After that 1999 Wimbledon run to the Semis, she has won only four matches at Slams. Four! She's had 15 first-round exits at the Slams since her 1999 Wimbledon dream-run. She has won zero title in her career. It's a shame that she had that dream run at an important tournament because now we have to hear about her even 8 years later. If she's had that dream run the week before in Birmingham or s'Hertogenbosh or whatever, we'd never ever be hearing about this girl again. :shrug:

Yes,in a Slam. Yet, other tournaments
validated her as a top 20 player. Just
not able to fiund "Slam" consistency.

99' Birmingham QF.
01' Linz QF.
02' Sydney QF.(defeated #1 seed Capriati)
02' Tokyo QF.
02' Memphis F. (lost to Raymond in 3rd set tb)
02' Filderstadt QF. (defeated #1 seed Capriati)
02' Zurich QF.
02' Linz F. (defeted #1 Capriati, #5 Hantuchova, #6 Myskina: lost to Henin)
03' Scottsdale SF.

Lexy hasn't given up on herself
and that's all I needed to hear! :cool: :kiss:

beecharmer
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:27 PM
In my view, though she had the one-strike athletic ability she simply was never a fit athlete, and like with Seles, that's going to catch up with you. When Stevenson's first strike came back, she had nothing to contend with it. She had some very good occasional results, but chasing rainbows is a tribute to her delusional mother, not to a love for an arbitrary sport.

DOUBLEFIST
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I hope that some how, some way she can attain some measure of redemption. I really feel for her.

Paneru
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:35 PM
In my view, though she had the one-strike athletic ability she simply was never a fit athlete, and like with Seles, that's going to catch up with you. When Stevenson's first strike came back, she had nothing to contend with it. She had some very good occasional results, but chasing rainbows is a tribute to her delusional mother, not to a love for an arbitrary sport.

Glad to see you know her
heart better than she does.

beecharmer
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Glad to see you know her
heart better than she does.

Thanks, I don't judge on emotion I judge on facts and the simply fact is, she was unable to sustain. And she was injured because let's face it, she was pudgy.

kabuki
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Good for her for trying, but the game has moved on. There are dozens of younger, healthier, faster, BETTER women out there. If she wants to continue to compete to say she really tried, then fine. I just don't see the results coming.

cellophane
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Maybe she doesn't quit the tour, but she quits within almost every match she plays, so really, what's the difference?

She says her game is coming back, but she's shown no evidence of that at all. Sad article, and I agree with whoever wrote it. It's time to throw in the towel and pursue her dreams of becoming the next J.Lo.

Don't encourage her!!!!!! :haha:

Paneru
Jul 30th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks, I don't judge on emotion I judge on facts and the simply fact is, she was unable to sustain. And she was injured because let's face it, she was pudgy.

Yet, you said it wasn't out of love
for this "arbitrary" sport. So, that
sound like a judgement on emotion.

As for her fitness, she never has been the
fittest and injur just compounded that.

After 99' Wimbledon, it took her three years
later to achieve her highest ranking and post
her best overall career results to date. In
between, she wasn't able to maintain well, but
eventually got back to having better form.

Sure, it'll be and is harder at 27 but it
is not impossible to be done. Granted that
her shoulder can be well which is questionable.

beecharmer
Jul 30th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Yet, you said it wasn't out of love
for this "arbitrary" sport. So, that
sound like a judgement on emotion.

As for her fitness, she never has been the
fittest and injur just compounded that.

After 99' Wimbledon, it took her three years
later to achieve her highest ranking and post
her best overall career results to date. In
between, she wasn't able to maintain well, but
eventually got back to having better form.

Sure, it'll be and is harder at 27 but it
is not impossible to be done. Granted that
her shoulder can be well which is questionable.

Is English your 2nd or 3rd language?

I have no objection to Stevenson, she was a fair player in that transitionary period with Dokic and Zvonereva as potential top players. They all had their moments but none of them had the grit or star power I would say was necessary. History says that apart from Seles and Evert the very top players took their time in ascending to the top. I wouldn't object to Stevenson but she has suffered from her lack of training.

spencercarlos
Jul 30th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Pretty laughable quote considering the many times she has retired(quited) from tennis matches while losing. :lol:

This girl will never change... i was reading a 2001 Wimbledon Magazine and it reads her quoting that she would love to be the first wild card ever to win the Wimbledon championships, and that she was prepared to do so.. :lol: even back then ...

Paneru
Jul 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Is English your 2nd or 3rd language?

I have no objection to Stevenson, she was a fair player in that transitionary period with Dokic and Zvonereva as potential top players. They all had their moments but none of them had the grit or star power I would say was necessary. History says that apart from Seles and Evert the very top players took their time in ascending to the top. I wouldn't object to Stevenson but she has suffered from her lack of training.

Must be your's as all I did was respond
to certain things you said. Re-read.

Nothing more, nothing less.

:wavey:

Corswandt
Jul 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
TENNIS JERRY MAGEE
Time for Stevenson to find another line

Time for the media to stop talking about Stevenson.

Slumpsova
Jul 30th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Alex you are disgusting :o

Steffica Greles
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:55 PM
For the first time, I'm starting to feel sorry for her.

But she was just one extreme example of a myriad, almost an entire generation of players taught to serve, hit their groundies, as would a man. Even though they are women.

And so we see the consequences no more starkly than in Alexandra Stevenson, once a formidable force at her best.

Of course, the other extreme would be the likes of Martina Hingis, taught to guide the ball rather than punch, to kiss rather than thrust.

sfselesfan
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:11 AM
Your mama needs to learn to "quit" running her mouth.

SF

RJWCapriati
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:03 AM
Alex you obviously have a severe case of dementia

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:37 AM
Time for the media to stop talking about Stevenson.

Aswell as WTA World posters:angel:

:wavey:

~Eclipsed~
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:51 AM
I'm a big Alexandra fan, but unlike Paneru i'm not delusional.

Alex needs to throw in the towel. She's obviously too stubborn to play $10 or $25ks to have any hope of making it back on tour and as well all have seen, she's not even strong enough to compete in these qualifying tour draws. Her effort since her shoulder surgery has been unsuccessful, but commendable. She has to come to the realization that she's finished.

Everytime i read an article about her, it seems like somewhere in them says that she feels like she is close to coming back. This false optimism is helping her out. I know she says she still enjoys playing despite the losses, but it looks pretty pathetic week in and week out.:sad:

Jakeev
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:25 AM

Although I agree with what you have to say, I still think players should not be on court when they have injuries. I am sorry but it just doesn't make sense to me. Look were Seles, Capriati and Barbara Schwartz are because of not taking care of injuries. How Stephenson has not been forced to stop playing is shocking.

Alex needs to take more time off and that's the bottom line.

mboyle
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:28 AM

======

She was no. 17 in the world. She was top fifty a few other times. The SF was a fluke, but she's also not a crap bagel girl either.

spiceboy
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:50 AM
She was no. 17 in the world.

Never got that high. Her best ranking was #18.

ay19
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:05 PM
I think the bottomline is: if she wants to play, let her play! She still has some years to try. Who are we to be judging her, telling her she should quit? I bet if I would be in her position I would keep on trying. She does because she knows she has it in her. You don't get to no. 18 with one-offs..

I think she would be better off starting at $10.000's though..

PamShriverRockz
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:22 PM
I always have a chuckle to myself when I play Virtua Tennis 2 on the PS2. Whoever decided to put Alexandra on there as a player obviously knows bog-all about tennis ;) Arantxa, Serena, Mary Pierce etc- all those slams...and Alexandra...er... ;)

No one should tell a player when they should quit, I actually almost admire that in her...but it is ironic she says she won't give up when she retires most matches :tape:

hwanmig
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:19 PM
Who cares what she does, I tell you what she's doing is way better than writing these BS articles.

S-T-E-V-E
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:24 PM
It's not about quitting. She has to learn that she can't play those big tournaments because she's losing against everyone. She should start playing 10 k's, 25k's and gain some confidence. You can get yourself back in the top 100 with those tournaments and if she's feeling ready, she can play these bigger tournaments again. I really don't get this stupid schedule.

S-T-E-V-E
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:24 PM
Wake up, it's not autumn 2002 anymore where you kicked several top players ass.

The Kaz
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:28 PM
:yawn:

Rocketta
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:30 PM
Alexandra may be pitiful but she's not as pitiful as some posters on here who love to dawg her out simply because they can.

I'm trying to remember exactly what Alex did that was soooo bad that posters can't move on and get over it? Oh I know, she didn't win enough. :lol:

Really who's worse the person who is out there trying who may not have the most accurate view of their abilities or the person who for years and years revels in said persons failures? :weirdo:

I mean really people if you want Alex to move on how about you doing it first? :tape:

RenaSlam.
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:24 PM
Spare us the pain and just quit, Alex.

Steffica Greles
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:27 PM
She was no. 17 in the world. She was top fifty a few other times. The SF was a fluke, but she's also not a crap bagel girl either.

You're probably too young to even remember much of it ;)

The Wimbledon semi was NOT a fluke. She played blitzkreig tennis that year, until she played Lindsay in the semis, when she really let herself down.

And I'm not an Alexandra fan (does she have any?lol). I've rejoiced in lampooning her as much as anybody.

Lulu.
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:34 PM
I'm a big Lexy fan but I think its time she quit but if she still loves the game and loves to play then she should do as she pleases :sad: