PDA

View Full Version : Amelie Mauresmo's strive for #3

midora
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:17 PM
As we all know, Amelie Mauresmo launched into tirade of insults and slanderous unsubstantiated allegations against the Williams Sisters after her 6-2,6-1 thrashing at the hands of Serena at Wimby last week.

She also said that she was now striving to be #3 since she couldn't beat them. Isn't this a defeatist attitude that will not inure to her benefit. I thought a true competitor MUST think that they are better than everyone and could beat anybody.

Is she being realistic or defeatist?

per4ever
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:28 PM
both...I don't think it's very encouraging for the players to see two girls always making the final and win the big touraments.

xan
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:52 PM
If Amelie really said this, it is very defeatist.

Amelie has the talents to challenge the Williams Sisters head to head IF she sorts out her mental frailty.

But saying she'll settle for No 3, would be a disaster, ensuring she NEVER makes it to the top.

What's that old saying:
Aim for the stars, end in the treetops.
Aim for the Treetops, end in the gutter.

selesfan
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:05 PM
I thought that was odd also, who strives to be #3.:confused:

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:16 PM
both...I don't think it's very encouraging for the players to see two girls always making the final and win the big touraments.

Monica, chanda, justine and countless other players thinks its encouraging because it forces everyone to get better or get left behind. Clearly momo has no problems being left behind. she needs a shrink.

Sonja
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Let's see your source - prove it!

midora
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Sonja
Let's see your source - prove it!

She said it in her post-thrashing interview which mercifully for her is not on Wimby's website. Jon Wertheim also reported on it in his mailbag today.

Sonja
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Her interview after being beaten by Serena is on Wimby's web site and she says nothing about being content to be #3.

Although Jon says she said it, I've seen no direct quotation from her about this. There's "he said, she said" stuff running rampant everywhere.

midora
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Sonja
Her interview after being beaten by Serena is on Wimby's web site and she says nothing about being content to be #3.

Although Jon says she said it, I've seen no direct quotation from her about this. There's "he said, she said" stuff running rampant everywhere.

Sonja,

If you can please post a link to the interview because the last interview I see for her is from Day 9 after she beat Cappy. Additionally, while Wertheim is not the be all that ends all he has no reason to lie. This statement has been widely reported AND I heard her say it with my very own ears after her thrashing.

Volcana
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Sonja - I'm not taking sides inthe arguement. However, I'm looking at Wimby's website in another browser at 7:48pm EST. Amelie's post-match interview after losing to Serena is NOT on the website. That was July 4th. Justine's interview is there. The last interview from Amelie is July 3rd after she beat Jenn.

Sonja
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Click on Day 9 and you'll get Day 9 and Day 10's interview.

Until I see proof I've got to consider it bogus.

Linnie
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by midora
As we all know, Amelie Mauresmo launched into tirade of insults and slanderous unsubstantiated allegations against the Williams Sisters after her 6-2,6-1 thrashing at the hands of Serena at Wimby last week.

Midora, Amelie did not launch anything. Nor were there any slanderous unsubstantiated allegations in her post-match interview. It is on the Wimbledon website, and it can be found here, too: http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2002wimbledon/070402AM.html
If you bother to read it, there is nothing she said about wanting to be no. 3. If she said it somewhere else, please give the link.

Volcana
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:01 AM
Sonja - I went to the WB website. Selected 'Players' then 'interviews'. The default is the Day 13. I chose 'Wednesday, July 3rd, 2002 from the dropdown. I click on 'Day 9, Amelie Mauresmo'.

The only interview there is the post-Capriati interview.

If I choose 'Thursday, July 4th, 2002' I get the Day 10 interviews, but not Amelie's. Could you select the interview and post it for those of us who can't see it, as you can?

Linnie
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:03 AM
I heard her say it with my very own ears after her thrashing.

If you didn't find the interview, how did you "hear" it??

And the only "thrashing" I see here is you "thrashing" Amelie.

midora
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Linnie

Midora, Amelie did not launch anything. Nor were there any slanderous unsubstantiated allegations in her post-match interview. It is on the Wimbledon website, and it can be found here, too: http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2002wimbledon/070402AM.html
If you bother to read it, there is nothing she said about wanting to be no. 3. If she said it somewhere else, please give the link.

Amelie Mauresmo SPECIFICALLY said that she thinks the Williams fix their matches. She either said it on French t.v. or elsewhere but she clearly said it. Do you deny that she said it? That is a slanderous, unsubstantiated allegation as she has no PROOF whatsoever that the fix matches. She herself admitted she has no proof.

As for the #3 statement, she most certainly did say it. I have no reason to lie nor does Jon Wertheim. Don't shoot the messenger.

midora
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:05 AM

If you didn't find the interview, how did you "hear" it??

And the only "thrashing" I see here is you "thrashing" Amelie.

I heard her say it on t.v. Please tell me how I am thrashig Amelie. And are you alleging that I made this up out of whole cloth?

Linnie
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Again, where is the PROOF that she said anything about match-fixing????? There were French posters (on another thread that, thank goodness, was closed) that said they heard no such thing on French TV.

Volcana
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Will somebody please post this interview! Or at least a link to it. After the match-fixing comments, (and I read them, so I'm convinced. I'm not trying to convince anyone else.) I'm inclined to believe Wertheim. Especially since they pulled the interview of the WB site.

Sonja
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:30 AM
The video interview is now missing from the Wimby site. I don't know why it's now been removed.

I'll go out on a limb and say, if she said it, it was a shitty thing to say and she'll NEVER beat them with that attitude. She's had some close matches with both girls.

And I'll be happy to go tell her this and kick her right in the ass myself!

Linnie
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:30 AM
July 4, 2002

S. WILLIAMS/A. Mauresmo
6-2, 6-1

An interview with:

AMELIE MAURESMO

MODERATOR: Who is first?

Q. What was the difference in your game?

AMELIE MAURESMO: What's the difference?

Q. The way you played Capriati and Serena.

AMELIE MAURESMO: It's not the same person on the other side of the net. That's it. You know, there's just nothing to do about it.

Q. Was she just too good today?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Yeah.

Q. Describe how she was hurting you.

AMELIE MAURESMO: Yeah, she was just playing very well, too good, and I -- you know, I couldn't do nothing. I tried a few things, but I just couldn't do nothing.

Q. How different is the level of play of Serena and Venus from everybody else, do you think, right now?

AMELIE MAURESMO: What's the difference, you mean?

Q. If you take Serena and Venus, then everybody else, all the other players, yourself included, how different is their level of play from everybody else on the tour right now?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, at the moment, you know, they're No. 1 and No. 2, and that means everything. They're the two top players. They were in the final of the French Open. They are in the final here again. So it means they're better than everybody else. That's it.

Q. By a lot? A little bit?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, you look at the scores, you can tell by yourself.

Q. Do you think it's good for the sport when they meet each other in Grand Slam finals? What do you think the effect is on tennis and the fans and everybody else?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, to me I think it's a little bit sad for women's tennis. But maybe it's not the point of view for everybody.

Q. Why is it sad in your mind?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Because, first, I think people are going to get bored about it. It was already final at the French Open. You know, I'm not counting how many people since yesterday told me, "We don't want Williams final," whatever. You know, some people think like this. Some people think it's good. You know, everyone has a different opinion.

Q. Yours?

AMELIE MAURESMO: I just said it.

Q. Are you going to watch it? Are you going to be around to watch it?

AMELIE MAURESMO: No, I don't think so, no.

Q. What's your prediction? Do you have any?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Well, you have to ask them for that.

Q. What pleased you most about your match today?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Nothing really. I didn't feel very comfortable, especially on my serve today. You know, I didn't serve well enough, you know, to try to hold my serve and then see what's going on on the return. So it was difficult. You know, I tried a few things, to come in a few times. It didn't work. Yeah, but no regret. I mean, that's just the way it is.

Q. You were right there with her early on. Was your confidence level pretty high at that point? Might have been 2-1. It was pretty close in the first set. What happened from that point?

AMELIE MAURESMO: I think then she just cruised on. You know, again, my serve was a big point in this match, I think. I was serving well at the beginning, then was going down a little bit. So against these player, if something goes wrong, then it's difficult to come back.

Q. What about that everlasting game that you had, about eight deuces?

AMELIE MAURESMO: 3-1.

Q. Talk about that. Was that fun?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Yeah, it was, you know, advantage for her, advantage for me. You know, a little bit up and down on each side. Maybe in the second set it was an important game. But she already had the game, so that was second break, and then it's tough to come back.

Q. Is something like that anything you can take with you, "Maybe I lost this one, but I can hang with them a little bit"?

AMELIE MAURESMO: You mean this match?

Q. Instances like that in the match. Can you pick out different points in the match?

AMELIE MAURESMO: I think the beginning, it's 2-All, 3-2, even when she breaks me, you know, the first time in that first set, I still think, you know, I can hang in there and do my best. You know, it's getting tougher and tougher as the score is going on.

Q. Do you know what you need to do next time in your game to be able to win?

AMELIE MAURESMO: Not yet. I don't know.

Q. Have you ever seen her play better?

AMELIE MAURESMO: No, no, maybe not. Maybe she's playing her best tennis, yeah.

Q. You said you couldn't count how many people said they didn't want to see an all-Williams final. Was this among players or people outside of the game?

AMELIE MAURESMO: No, no, just people.

End of FastScripts….

And I still want to know where "match-fixing" comments were.

midora
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Please see this article from the International Herald Tribune.

http://www.iht.com/articles/63770.html

Her statements are towards the end of the article. I didn't know this thread would be controversial because I thougt it was widely known that she had said these things. The match fixing statement was widely reported on the day after her match AND specifically heard her say the No 3 thing. I did not post this t rile people only to get honest opinions because I was surprised at her attitude.

Dawn Marie
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Imho if Wimby removed it she probably said it.

Linnie
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Dawn, please read the interview above. That was exactly what was on the video interview. And it was on the Wimbledon Channel, not listed on the interview page.

Asmus
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:38 AM
Quotes are always taken out of context. She probably said something like "my next goal is to get to #3" which is very realistic considering she has 2200 points or so whereas Venus and Serena have around 5000 or so and thus, point-wise, it's nearly impossible for Amelie to get to #1 very soon with most of the year over.

Linnie
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:50 AM
In my three plus years of following Amélie on the tour, and being a huge fan of hers, I’ve never heard her be anything other than gracious in any of her interviews.
Firstly, if she did say something about match-fixing (and all we have is this guy’s second-hand account – unless he was nearby and understood French, we don’t know what she was saying) I’m not too happy she brought it up again. And about her wanting to be no. 3, I’m also very saddened she said that. She’d just been beaten by an unstoppable Serena after she, herself, had played the match of her life against Jennifer the day before. I know there was obviously a lot of disappointment there. Perhaps it was just her way of coping with the loss. But none of us really know what she was thinking, nor should we try to psychoanalyze it to death. No matter what she says, I'll still watch her play; I'll still be a fan.

Hopefully she learned something from all this, and she’ll have her racquet do the talking from now on. :)

Rocketta
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:44 AM
OK, here is the link to Joao's thread where he went to french sites trying to see exactly what Amelie said.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30470&highlight=mauresmo

The #3 comment is clearly in this quote.

french text:

"Wimbledon - Déclaration

LONDRES, 4 juil (AFP) - Amélie Mauresmo (Fra/N.9, éliminée en demi-finale par Serena Williams (USA/N.2): "J'ai essayé, le résultat est sévère, mais c'est comme ça. Je ne peux rien faire. Je ne regrette rien, sinon de ne pas avoir servi un peu mieux. J'ai bien commencé, puis ça s'est déréglé, je ne sais pas pourquoi. Après son premier break, je me suis dit: 'je peux rester dans le match'. Puis, c'est devenu de plus en plus dur. J'ai tenté des trucs, essayé de rentrer dans le terrain, mais elle était au-dessus. Je n'ai pas trop ressenti la notion de plaisir. C'est très impressionnant, je suis en face et je me dis: 'il n'y a rien à faire'. Même par rapport à Capriati (battue par Mauresmo en quarts mercredi), ça n'a rien à voir. C'est un peu triste pour le tennis féminin. Les gens, au bout d'un moment, ça va peut-être les gonfler de voir les Williams en finale. Aujourd'hui, je ne peux pas rivaliser avec elles. Je vais attendre qu'elles baissent un petit peu. En attendant, je veux d'abord revenir dans le Top 5 et je vise la place de numéro 3. Je vais essayer de garder en mémoire tout ce que ça m'a apporté, pendant ce tournoi, d'aller de l'avant, vers le filet. J'ai eu une prise de conscience et c'est à moi d'ajuster ça selon les surfaces. Je peux vraiment m'appuyer là-dessus pour passer un cap."

English translation:

london, july 4th (AFP): Amelie Mauresmo ( France, #9 seed) defeated in the SF by Serena Williams (USA, #2 seed): " I tried, the score is hard but that's the way it is! I can't do anything! I don't regret anything but not having served a little bit better. I served well in the beginning but then my serve started to go down and I don't know why! After the first break, I said to myself : 'I still can stay in the match'. But then, everything got more and more difficult. I tried different things, tried to be aggressive and go forward, but she was always on top. I didn't really feel any pleasure while I was playing. It was very impressive, I was there and I was saying to myself: 'there is nothing I can do'. Even if you compare with Capriati (defeated by Mauresmo wednesday in the QF), they're two different players. it's a little bit sad for the women's tennis. People, after awhile, maybe will get tired of seeing always the Williams sisters in the finals. Today, I can't match them. I'm gonna wait for them to go down a little bit. In the mean time, I wanna first be back into the top5 and try to get to the #3 spot. I'll try to keep in mind everything this tournament brought me, and go forward, to the net. I just realized now what I have to do and it's my job to adjust my game to the surface. I think I really can use this tournament to step up"

I tried my best!

Rocketta
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:45 AM
I think everyone's partly right and partly wrong! :wavey:

Rocketta
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:48 AM
I'm gonna wait for them to go down a little bit. In the mean time, I wanna first be back into the top5 and try to get to the #3 spot.

I think this is the quote that can be seen as a little defeatist or maybe realistic depends on how you feel a players attitude should be.

Linnie
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:58 AM
Thanks, Rocketta! :)

Originally posted by Rocketta
I think everyone's partly right and partly wrong! :wavey:
Ever think of going into politics? ;)

Sonja
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:58 AM
Thanks midora for posting the source! I appreciate that.

She'll NEVER beat either Venus or Serena with this attitude. I don't expect her to say she'll get to No. 1 this year or even the next, but I DO expect to her to say she'll try her hardest and continue to work her way towards the goal she set for herself, being No. 1, the very best in the world.

I don't want to see her be comfortable or content to just reach the quarters or semis. I don't want to see her settle for anything. I believe the person who wants to get to No. 1 has to have a burning passion to be the very best. I believe when that person gets dealt a tough loss they have to pick themselves up and learn from the loss, while NEVER giving up on their goals!

This is what I expect to see from Amelie.

midora
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Your're welcome Sonja.:wavey:

Rocketta
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Thanks, Rocketta! :)

Ever think of going into politics? ;)

hehehe I've been around a lot of arguing lately! :p

Julie
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Rocketta to the rescue ;) Thankyou.

Now maybe we can get back to the question in hand :D:D

:wavey:

Kart
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:23 PM

Is she being realistic or defeatist?

I think that Amelie has the athleticism, power and talent to be ranked as high as she likes. All that's missing from her game is the mental dedication. So I think that only aiming for no.3 is a bit defeatist.

BrianII
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Don't think she's being defeatist ...basically shes talking about the near future ..she may have just glanced at the rankings and seen its plausible for her to overtake justine and Jelena and a reasonable aspiration to overtake jennifer and Monica ( not that i think she will)...but at this point in time Venus/Serena are too far away beating serena or venus here or there doesn't make you the no1 player ......therefore aiming for the no3 spot doesn't necessarily imply you think you will never beat them .....in '99 ,serena highest rank no4 , was a combined 6-1 against Martina /Davenport ...allthough she could beat them attaining the no1 ranking that year was unrealistic.

esdee
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:52 PM
I don't believe Amelie is being defeatist in aiming for the no 3 slot.
She has stated she wants to get to the top 5 , and then top 3.
To me, this sounds more like aiming for the ultimate goal of number 1, but doing it in more manageable chunks. Questions have always arisen about her mental strength, so perhaps this is a more balanced approach to reaching the number 1 position.

One thing is for sure - she must continue to attack and employ the serve and volley game that won her many new fans at Wimbledon. Her performance this year should convince her that the title at SW19 is hers for the taking in hopefully the not too distant future.

Rocketta
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:22 PM
I think the part where she says, "I'm going to wait for them to get down a little bit" is the defeatist part. To me that says she is going to wait for things outside of her control to happen before tries to go higher than #3. Venus and Serena's level might not go down anytime soon does that mean Amelie is going to waste the best time in her life while waiting for the Williams sisters level to drop? She might end up wasting her best years and then someone else will assend the ranks. To me she will never reach the top level if she doesn't think there are things she can do to achieve that regardless if someone else's level ever drops.

Julie----LOL, ;) :wavey:

mettabear
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:59 AM
..thanks esdee, a voice of reason I support

I was once reminded in a thread that Top 10 is bloody fantastic and that consistency is more important(especially for Amelie) than saying constantly she must keep pushing for No 1.

I mentioned in a recent posting that I accept the dominance of the sisters for the next few years because it gives Amelie time and motivation within realistic limitations to move steadily up the rankings.

She's not defeated..mark my words...the sisters won't feel too comfortable when Amelie makes No 3......would you?

Allez Allez Amelie

luv
metta

joe
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:50 AM
I don't need proof for the allegations Amelie made against venus and Serena.

I live in England and watched the match on BBC television. After the match Sue Barker reported as breaking news: Amilie Muresmo made an allegation of matcch fixing against the Williams' to the French press.

The same allegation was repeated by John Inverdale in the highlights program in the evening.

As far as I am concerened this was the sign of a poor loser and a load of sour grapes.

conchita
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:31 PM
hello, at the beginning of the year prior to the adidas international amelie maures said that she said that she can be number one in the world and a few months later she dropped out of the top 10 so i somehow don't think that shell make it to the top 3......

if neone wants the link to the article, just reply :)

~ The Leopard ~
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Personally, I think it's realistic for Amelie to think in stages... get into the top 5; try to reach number 3; hope Venus and Serena can't keep up this kind of pace forever... if there's to be a chance of seizing number 1.

Maybe the last bit is something that it was a bit silly saying in an interview, but: (1) it may not have been entirely serious... may have been meant to be rueful and self-deprecating; (2) I actually like momo's honesty in revealing what's going through her mind; (3) let's stop reading players' spur-of-the-moment comments as if they were carefully drafted legal statutes to be argued over in a law court. They tell us something about a player's state of mind at the time, but not much more.

mom3
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:56 PM
I ok with you, Jouissant :D
and you too Sonja, and Linnie, and Metta :D
It's incredible for a french, all that argument about three words, in her interview :drool:
it should be ....all american state of mind :lick: ?

You all know what everybody think, in the tennis world ;)
that's what she tell, because it was a question,.... with no proof, of course, she admitted it, because............ it will never be said :lick: by the Williams
But look at that finals, until Winby this year, they were so bad and boring...... that's my opinion, and not only mine.
But you can denie this, of course as...... she said

She shouldn't have speak about this..... I know, she just was so disapointed, at that moment.........she said Serena and Venus are too good......what a compliment............no :p ???
where is load of sour grapes, Joe ?????

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:27 PM
First of all everyone in the tennis world doesnt think that, so thats just a blatant lie. Second, maybe you haven't heard of innocent until proven guilty. Third, since there is no proof any allegations just makes the accuser seem like the poor loser that that they are. Boohoo I lost to Venus or Serena so Now I have to attack them to make me feel better.

In my opinion the pat cash's and momo's of the world are just full of envy and really its pathetic. Can you just accuse someone of murder without having any proof? No you would be sued out of your skirt!

So whenever I hear that match fixing crap I know its all about low self esteem, envy, and feelings of inferiority. Maybe those people should take some self help classes or schedule some time to come to chicago and talk with Dr. Phil.

Ms. Lively
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Amelie is correct. Venus and Serena ruin women's tennis. It is very sad.

Vanity
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:44 PM
get over what Amelie said already!

you'd swear she made some personal attacks against people on this board the way they ramble on. :rolleyes:

Then again, these are the same people who will quote off things Hingis and others said in 1999, and then act like it's still fresh and valid.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:46 PM
actually womens tennis has never had better ratings or interest yeah thats really ruining the sport. Wow it amazes me how bitter some of the posters on here are. Why not send emails to your fav to encourage them instead of whining about the non existant ruining of womens tennis?

No wonder some of the players are so pathetic with their excuses if their fans act the same way.