PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't Puma ccapitalized more on Serena's popularity?

Rayny
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:41 PM
She has got to be the biggest star they have yet there are no commercials or anything? Why do they pay her so much yet use her so little?

J_Migoe
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:47 PM
She has a shoe contract coming up soon so keep your fingers crossed.

evadafan
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:25 AM
I think it would be to Serena's benefit not to show off the crap they have her wear.

anton
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:27 AM
There is a commmercial but is is not on much. There is a print ad with Serena in the long blonde 2001 US Open hair and the red dress on a tennis court in dark light with a lot of tennis balls.
I think puma markets Serena more out of the USA where their stuff is selling more ie the french open cameroon outfit.

Volcana
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Because her contract IS coming up. Anything they do will only increase her popularity, and the amount it will cost to keep her. You know Phil Knight already called.

Jordan.
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:44 AM
PUMA rocks! :bounce:

Sam L
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Who the heck is Phil Knight?

Anyway I hope she stays with Puma, they make good outfits for her. I hope to see more ads for Puma with her too.

However I think Puma is more concentrated on other sports like soccer and atheletics. Not sure.

I mean she is like the ONLY tennis star they have.

essielewis
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Because her contract IS coming up. Anything they do will only increase her popularity, and the amount it will cost to keep her. You know Phil Knight already called.

That's what I was thinking that her contract must be coming up for renewal. Puma might not be able to afford her. Phil Knight might be the only one who could really afford her and he needs a high profile American woman. I'm almost sure Reebok cannot afford both Venus and Serena.

Besides that, Serena got some negative feedback from America when she wore that Cameroon outfit at the French. People wanted to know why she was rooting for them when America was playing also. It wasn't a good move on her part and she should think twice about re-signing with a mainly European company like Puma.

irma
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:12 PM
serena can always become an european citizen(dutch by example), we will welcome her with open arms :cool: ;)

Gumbycat
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Puma probably can't afford Serena (like essielewis said)and they can't reap the benefits of a massive print add for Serena if she were to leave in 6 months.

Sam L
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by essielewis
Besides that, Serena got some negative feedback from America when she wore that Cameroon outfit at the French. People wanted to know why she was rooting for them when America was playing also. It wasn't a good move on her part and she should think twice about re-signing with a mainly European company like Puma.

Can't she root for whoever she wants? :rolleyes: I mean honestly is that how petty the American public are? Why should she think twice about re-signing with a mainly European company? What the Americans won't like her anymore because of that? I really really hope Serena will sign with Puma again. Or Adidas.

Last time I checked Reebok is UK, and Fila is Italian :rolleyes:

Pureracket
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Actually, I'm not sure that the anti-Williams backlash (if there was any) because of the Camaroon outfit would influence Serena's decision. If that were the case, she could probably point to the fact that there are soooooo many anti-Williams fans in the States.