5. Hantuchova
6. Majoli

Top Ten Absences:
Venus Williams
Monica Seles
Kim Clijsters
Jelena Dokic
Amelie Mauresmo

Serena obviously #1 player looking at this stat!!!

"Tour dominator" Venus still without a big title for 2002.

villa
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Well venus has only played 4 big tournaments this year.

Australia- also been a hard slam for venus, suffereing from injurys and lost to an inspired seles in the quarters.

Miami- lost in the semis to serena williams.

roland garros- lost in the final to serena williams

wimbledon- lost in the finals to serena williams.

Her record does not look so bad does it???

evadafan
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Well her record is obviously not "bad", but for all that the press writes, you think she would have at least one major title this year. It's time for the press to stop writing about "the sisters" and start writing about the true story, Serena.

SerenasMelons
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Yeah. Venus has only played ONE!! Tier I tournament in the past 52 weeks. Serena has played 3. How come during the claycourt season, Serena got to play all the big tournaments (Charleston, Berlin, Rome) while Venus was only schedule to play one (Rome, which she pulled out of) and two tier II's (Amelia Island, Hamburg)?

Still, from these stats, its obvious Serena should be #1, and she is the most dominant player on the tour.

villa
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:35 PM
well the year nots over yet and venus part of the season has always been the summer, for the past two years she has always won most of major titles in the second half of the year.

Venus however does need to enter more teir 1 tournaments, the reason she hasn't previoulsy is becuase serena did since she was the one struggeling with her ranking, she no longer needs to do that.

A4
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Why does this person always feel the need to hate on Venus? For the record, I'm also a Capriati fan. For me, Venus has been having a wonderful year so far, reaching the finals in almost all tournaments she played and it really makes no difference if she or Serena wins. I'm just glad they're a cut above everyone else, as opposed to last year, when Venus alone stood head and shoulders above the rest of the tour.

Daneva, take your boring negetivity elsewhere.

Martian KC
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:57 PM
A4, take your own advice!

Williams Rulez
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:12 AM
KC, take your own advice.

moby
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:20 AM
but KC's not A4
so he cant take an advice directed to someone called A4!!!

and yes i'll take my own advice (whatever that is)

Kart
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Why has Venus not played more Tier Is ?

villa
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Kart
Why has Venus not played more Tier Is ?

Becuase the williams did not play in the same tournaments and it was serena who was struggeling to remain in the top 10 and got the priority to enter higher teired tournaments.

FP
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:36 PM
wow most shocking absence for me is Venus :o
But I think she still had a great year so far she reached 2 GS finals 1/4 final of the 1st one is also not so bad, so I don't see anything dramatic so far. I think she will catch up the year doesn't finished yet...

mboyle
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Well if you have noticed, Venus seems to play more tournaments than Serena, but Serena plays higher tier. This seems to be their schedule (though obviously they pull out of certain tournaments)
Serena: Sydney, Oz Open, Tokyo, Scottsdale, Miami, Charleston, Berlin, Rome, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Los Angeles, Canada, US Open, Tokyo (Princess Cup), Moscow, Zurich, Championships

Venus: Gold Coast, Oz Open, Paris, Antwerp, Dubai, Miami, Amelia Island, Hamburg, Rome, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Stanford, San Diego, New Haven, US Open, Filderstadt, Linz, Tour Championships

Scarry but I just noticed that if they are healthy, both girls will be playing fuller schedules than Jenny Capriati! :eek: So much for them not playing full schedules!

TS
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:08 PM
GO IVA! :p

Nimi
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Iva's #1 Fan
GO IVA! :p

lol :D

Martian KC
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Williams_Rulez
KC, take your own advice.