Jul 28th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Anna probably gets a chance to play Venus again:bounce:

Ballbasher
Jul 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
All the best Chaky :banana: But she'll be very tired after Cincy and Stanford

Wintermute
Jul 29th, 2007, 11:51 AM
But she'll be very tired after Cincy and Stanford

I assume she won't have to play until Wednesday. Anna reached the QFs last year but there's more points on offer this year. There's some players in her section who could give her a rough ride if she's still tired by then.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jul 30th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Good luck Anna :kiss: :hug:

After two excellent weeks, maybe Anna should have withdrawn, had some rest and then played Toronto :shrug:

BUBI
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Anna needs to complete her hat trick here ;) :bounce:

She has won 20 of last 22 matches :D

selyoink
Jul 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Don't expect much from Anna here. She should still get to the quarters before all the tennis catches up to her though.

Sharapower8
Jul 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Good luck Anna ! :bounce:

cosmoose
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:03 AM
7/31 Tuesday Court 2, 10:00am

Victoria AZARENKA (BLR) vs Yung-Jan CHAN (TPE)

Yuliana FEDAK (UKR) / Tatiana POUTCHEK (BLR) vs Corina MORARIU (USA) / Patty SCHNYDER (SUI)

Victoria AZARENKA (BLR) / Anna CHAKVETADZE (RUS) vs Brittany AUGUSTINE (USA) / Ahsha ROLLE (USA)

Janette HUSAROVA (SVK) / Meghann SHAUGHNESSY (USA) vs Andreea EHRITT-VANC (ROM) / Anastasia RODIONOVA (RUS)

Eleni DANIILIDOU (GRE) / Jasmin WOEHR (GER) vs Catalina CASTANO (COL) / Tamarine TANASUGARN (THA)

BUBI
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:06 AM
Why is Anna playing doubles again? She must be crazy :cuckoo:

Pink Princess
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:49 PM
Chakvetdaze seed 3 and one possible SF with Sharapova though before difficult matches.This is an important Tournament and Anna does very well in to take part, the following week rests and after Toronto she does not play, therefore is correct what she does.

Anna plays singles on Wednesday.

C'mon Princesses of the braid Anna and Vika!!!

Wintermute
Jul 31st, 2007, 09:26 PM
Azarenka/Chakvetadze bt Augustine/Rolle 6-1 6-1

Nice little warm-up for Anna there. She plays Meghann Shaughnessy. I have to say I'm not a Meghann fan at all so I hope Anna kicks some ass.

Pink Princess
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:10 PM
Anna and Vika:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

goldenlox
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:49 AM
Anna hasn't written a diary entry since early June. It's August tomorrow

Sharapower8
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:58 AM
Anna hasn't written a diary entry since early June. It's August tomorrow

Yes we miss it :sad:

cosmoose
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:29 AM
Another busy day for Anna tomorrow.

Stadium Court - 10:00 a.m.

Victoria AZARENKA (BLR) vs Daniela HANTUCHOVA (SVK)

Anna CHAKVETADZE (RUS) vs Meghann SHAUGHNESSY (USA)

Venus WILLIAMS (USA) vs Virginie RAZZANO (FRA)

Cara BLACK (ZIM)/Liezel HUBER (RSA) vs Corina MORARIU (USA)/Patty SCHNYDER(SUI)

Court 1 - 10:00 a.m.

Alona BONDARENKO (UKR) vs Katerina SREBOTNIK (SLO)

Camille PIN (FRA) vs Dinara SAFINA (RUS)

Lucie SAFAROVA (CZE) vs Maria KIRILENKO (RUS)

Andreea EHRITT-VANC (ROM)/Anastasia RODIONOVA (RUS) vs Victoria AZARENKA (BLR)/Anna CHAKVETADZE (RUS)

selyoink
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:36 PM
Anna's winning streak continues with a 6-4, 6-4 win.

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Nice job Anna! A little tougher then I expected but a good win nontheless! Next up is Sugiyama! This could be tough since Ai has played very well here in the past. Good luck Anna!

goldenlox
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Good start in SD. Ai can be tough, but I like Anna's chances. Then comes Venus, and that will tell a lot.

GeorgianFan
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Anna :banana:

RsaibotD
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:15 PM
10 wins in a row:cool: .....

cosmoose
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:25 PM
Yay Anna! http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/tomato.gif http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/apple.gif http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/tomato.gif http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/apple.gif

Pink Princess
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM
Anna :bigclap:

Tomorrow I believe that she will win easy, C'mon Anna!!!

Later the QF will be very interesting.

Wintermute
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:39 PM
Good job Anna. :D

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:56 PM
Anna/Vika def Vanc/Rodionova 6-4, 6-4! Nice job girls!

cosmoose
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:07 AM
Anna will once again have double duty tomorrow.
Good luck! :)

Grandstand Court - 11:00 a.m. Thursday

Katarina SREBOTNIK (SLO) vs Nadia PETROVA (RUS)
Anna CHAKVETADZE (RUS) vs Ai SUGIYAMA (JPN)
Vania KING (USA) / Shuai PENG (CHN) vs Jelena JANKOVIC (SRB) / Nadia PETROVA (RUS)
Victoria AZARENKA (BLR) / Anna CHAKVETADZE (RUS) vs Tatiana GOLOVIN (FRA) / Dinara SAFINA (RUS)

goldenlox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
Streaking Chakvetadze continues her winning ways

By: HEATHER HAWTHORNE - Staff Writer
LA COSTA -- Still on a high from taking consecutive titles at Cincinnati and Stanford, Russian phenom Anna Chakvetadze eliminated American Meghann Shaughnessy 6-4, 6-4 on Wednesday at the Acura Classic at the La Costa Resort and Spa.

"I do have confidence," said Chakvetadze, who recently hit her career-high ranking of No. 6 in the world. "But, I feel that I'm tired as well and it's tough to play so much tennis."

Chakvetadze may have been fighting fatigue, but she hid it well, opening strong with a 5-2 lead that included two service breaks.

The 28-year-old Shaughnessy, who is ranked No. 43, broke the Russian's three service game count and held her own serve to make the score 5-4.

It was then Chakvetadze's serve.

The Russian completed her first set point with a flawless ace that brought the crowd at Stadium Court to its feet.

Despite the difference in rankings, Chakvetadze and Shaughnessy battled through the second set that looked as though it could have easily stretched to three.

"I think it was tough," said Chakvetadze, who lost to Shaughnessy in their first head-to-head meeting last year at Istanbul. "Maybe the score is just 6-4, 6-4 but I think it was mentally tough and physically tough."

The veteran Shaughnessy, who trounced Russia's Olga Poutchkova 6-3, 6-1 on Tuesday in the first round of her eighth appearance at the Acura Classic, wasn't going to let the 20-year-old prevail effortlessly.

Shaughnessy launched into the second set with a vengeance and took the lead 3-1. With very few long rallies, the second set momentum seemed to bounce back and forth, coming down to personal errors rather than one player outperforming the other.

Chakvetadze broke the unseeded American's serve and went on to win four consecutive games to lead 5-3.

But the set looked far from over as Shaughnessy, the owner of six career titles, once again held her serve bringing the second set to 5-4; an eerily familiar point.

Once again, it was Chakvetadze's serve.

The No. 3-seeded Chakvetadze hammered an ace to reach match point and Shaughnessy gave the match away by netting a forehand volley, tying her head-to-head meetings with the Russian 1-1.

Chakvetadze, who received a bye into round two of the Acura Classic, will face Japan's Ai Sugiyama today in the second match of the afternoon session at the grandstand court.

goldenlox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Anna Chakvetadze wasn't exactly suppressing a yawn yesterday, but neither was she getting terribly excited about her 6-4, 6-4 victory over Meghann Shaughnessy.

“It was just another match,” decided Chakvetadze.

Winning, one could gather, can become ho-hum. Chakvetadze is wielding the hottest hand on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, having triumphed at Cincinnati and again last week at Stanford. She is, she admitted, becoming a bit weary. Coming up for her: a match against Ai Sugiyama, who has felled a great many of the tour's leading figures at La Costa, including Steffi Graf.
Chakvetadze said she has put her triumphs of the past two weeks out of her mind. “They're past,” she said. She credits improved fitness as the central factor in her current run.

Wintermute
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
She is, she admitted, becoming a bit weary.

She might be starting to feel tired but it's not a good idea to admit it before she has to play the tenacious Sugiyama and potentially against Venus after that. I didn't think she should play doubles this week but Anna and Vika keep winning so I guess it's money in the bank. Unfortunately it means Anna has to play twice again today.

It would be nice if she could get a quick win in singles. I'm not sure it will be so simple.

Demska
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Anna won her match agaisnt Ai Sugiyama 64 64 which puts her into the QF's where she will face either Venus Williams or Daniela Hantuchova.

Well done Anna :D !

Wintermute
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
:yeah: Another straight sets victory. :)

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
Anna def Ai 6-4, 6-4! Nice win Anna! She had 4 aces and only 1 double fault! Nice match! Good luck against Venus or Dani!

goldenlox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM
Into the quarters. I hope she plays this well in NY.

goldenlox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
Someone was at this doubles match

chakvetadze/azarenka d. vanc/rodionova:

so, singles matches had ended and my friends and i review the schedule to see if there are any doubles worth seeing, when i spot rodionova's name. i was hoping she'd be up to her usual antics (and she did not disappoint!) but thought even if she wasn't, i'd like to see anna and vika again. so we quickly head over to the side court and get there as the warm up was underway. as we sat there discussing some of rodionova's blowups, little did i know, things would get as crazy as they did and that my friends and i would actually be involved!

drama erupted almost immediately! while anna was serving to vanc, rodionova was shuffling her feet back and forth, making that squeeking noise shoes make on a hard court. anna complained to the umpire and immitated what rodionova was doing, which was hilarious to see!

now rodionova is serving to anna, and while mid way through the serve, vika starts purposely shuffling her feet, making that squeeking noise. my friends and i lost it and started laughing, which caused vika and anna to start laughing in the middle of the point (vika and anna still won it)!

vanc and rodionova go the umpire to complain, and while they're complaining, i call out, "go anna!" and anna and vika look over and start laughing again and anna does a little fist pump! :lol: needless to say, rodionova was not amused and we seriously thought she was going to launch a ball at us!

instead, she takes her anger out on anna! she launched at least 6 or 7 balls directly at anna, hitting her about 3 times! one hit anna on the arm, which had to hurt, but anna just laughed each time she got nailed. the most flagrant attack came when rodionova was serving to vika and instead of serving into the box, she aimed directly at anna up at net, who got hit in the legs as she tried to move out of the way of the ball! again, anna just laughed, which irritated rodionova even more!

throughout the match, anna would mock rodionova by pumping her fist in an exaggerated manner and yelling "come on!" once she even did that lleyton hewitt thing, pointing her hand back at her face! total comedy. rodionova was seething!

then rodionova gets a bad call that the umpire wouldn't overrule, which i thought was totally gonna push her over the edge! she yells out, "what is going on?! are you (the umpire) just here to call the score or are you going to actually officiate?! they (anna and vika) get to do whatever they want, and you can't even watch the lines! what the hell?!" of course, this outburst had anna, vika and my friends and i laughing again.

anna and vika end up winning 6-4 6-4 and we're eagerly anticipating the exchange at net. the players are about to exchange hand shakes, when vanc pulls her hand away, takes off her sunglasses and begins lecturing anna and vika, while rodionova stands there staring at them. the reprimand ends and the players walk back to their chairs when rodionova stops and begins yelling at anna (it's times like this when i wish i spoke russian). well, anna wasn't having it! she starts yelling back and unfortunately, it didn't get physical :p but for a moment there, it looked like it could...

good times. i've never been to such an entertaining and interactive doubles match in my life!

hu2891601
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:42 PM
yeah, I read that report from GM.. it's :eek: :eek: Rodionova's wayyyy over the top!

doris_hdz
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Go Anna!!!

Topspin2
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:56 PM
Anna!!! Great Job!!! 6-4 6-4 :worship:

Pink Princess
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:16 AM
To Quarters!!!

Annahttp://www.alexpepper.com/images/smilies/princess%5b1%5d.gifhttp://forums.tweaktown.com/images/smilies/pinkie.gifhttp://forums.tweaktown.com/images/smilies/pinkie.gifhttp://forums.tweaktown.com/images/smilies/pinkie.gif:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

C'mon now The Princesses of the braid!!! They play something later.

cosmoose
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:56 AM

instead, she takes her anger out on anna! she launched at least 6 or 7 balls directly at anna, hitting her about 3 times! one hit anna on the arm, which had to hurt, but anna just laughed each time she got nailed. the most flagrant attack came when rodionova was serving to vika and instead of serving into the box, she aimed directly at anna up at net, who got hit in the legs as she tried to move out of the way of the ball! again, anna just laughed, which irritated rodionova even more!

throughout the match, anna would mock rodionova by pumping her fist in an exaggerated manner and yelling "come on!" once she even did that lleyton hewitt thing, pointing her hand back at her face! total comedy. rodionova was seething!

then rodionova gets a bad call that the umpire wouldn't overrule, which i thought was totally gonna push her over the edge! she yells out, "what is going on?! are you (the umpire) just here to call the score or are you going to actually officiate?! they (anna and vika) get to do whatever they want, and you can't even watch the lines! what the hell?!" of course, this outburst had anna, vika and my friends and i laughing again.

anna and vika end up winning 6-4 6-4 and we're eagerly anticipating the exchange at net. the players are about to exchange hand shakes, when vanc pulls her hand away, takes off her sunglasses and begins lecturing anna and vika, while rodionova stands there staring at them. the reprimand ends and the players walk back to their chairs when rodionova stops and begins yelling at anna (it's times like this when i wish i spoke russian). well, anna wasn't having it! she starts yelling back and unfortunately, it didn't get physical :p but for a moment there, it looked like it could...

WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

cosmoose
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:43 AM
Anna and Vika won today 6-2, 6-4! http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/pepper.gif
Best news for Anna is that she only had 1 DF for her singles match and none for doubles.
I really think Anna with good serving can beat Venus tomorrow. :)

selyoink
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:00 AM
She just keeps on winning. I expect she will lose tomorrow against either Venus or Daniela though. Fatigue is bound to set in at some point and both are quality opponents.

RsaibotD
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:09 AM
well done Anna:) , a victory as I expected.......... Tomorrow the Big Test:tape:

cosmoose
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:23 AM
Stage is set for tomorrow.

Stadium Court
TV - ESPN2 8:00pm Pacific

Anna vs. Venus

Everyone say a prayer for Anna before you goto bed! :) :lol:

hu2891601
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
btw, I think... ESPN2 will show Maria/Mirza at 8pm (tape delay), and tennis channel will show Venus/Anna live at 7pm??

that means I won't be able to watch again! :help:

EDIT: I think i was wrong too!

here's the schedule, i think:
http://www.acuraclassic.com/Sched-Results/TVschedule.html

cosmoose
Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:37 AM
btw, I think... ESPN2 will show Maria/Mirza at 8pm (tape delay), and tennis channel will show Venus/Anna live at 7pm??

that means I won't be able to watch again! :help:

Tennis Channel has coverage from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. pacific
My guess is that we'll see Patty/Nadia and Maria/Sania for sure.
No idea if Lena D/Makiri will be televised.

ESPN2 will show Anna/Venus live at 8:00 pm pacific

On Saturday, Tennis Channel will show one of the doubles semifinals....so there is a good chance Anna and Vika's match will be televised! :)

smokovec
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Tennis Channel has coverage from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm. pacific
My guess is that we'll see Patty/Nadia and Maria/Sania for sure.
No idea if Lena D/Makiri will be televised.

ESPN2 will show Anna/Venus live at 8:00 pm pacific

On Saturday, Tennis Channel will show one of the doubles semifinals....so there is a good chance Anna and Vika's match will be televised! :)

No chanches for me to see Anna and then the Match is scheduled at Saturday, 5:00 AM here in Italy. :zzz:

I hope Anna can play a great Match and maybe win this to continue this nice streak of results.

GeorgianFan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:38 AM

:spit: :tape:

Ballbasher
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Chaky's streak is continuing :hearts: But Venus will be really tough :scared: Great matches in Doubles too :D

goldenlox
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:06 PM
I asked Anna to write about the Rodionova match in her diary. But she stopped writing diary entries 2 months ago.

GeorgianFan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
I asked Anna to write about the Rodionova match in her diary. But she stopped writing diary entries 2 months ago.

& last her message was on March 6 :sad:

Wintermute
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:44 PM
After what Venus did to Daniela yesterday I'm a little more nervous about tonight's match. Obviously Anna can create different problems for Venus than Daniela can but there's still the issue with Anna being put under pressure on her serve and going for too much. Also the fact that she might be tiring won't help. But she keeps winning her doubles matches as well as singles so it's not such a bad excuse.

Good luck Anna, give it all you've got!

BUBI
Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Anna should feel no pressure. Hopefully she will take her chances and improve her record against grand slam champs ;):bounce:

cosmoose
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Bad news American fans...thanks to Barry "steroid" Bonds, Espn has shuffled their schedule.
So Anna/Venus will now be 7:00pm live on tennis channel instead.

goldenlox
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
I saw Anna play Venus in Vermont, and I don't think she will win unless Venus has an off day.
But she's on a great run, and she's going to have a nice seed in NY.
Maybe this will be her first slam semi.

Pink Princess
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Annahttp://www.alexpepper.com/images/smilies/princess%5b1%5d.gifand Vikahttp://www.alexpepper.com/images/smilies/princess%5b1%5d.gif

C'mon Anna :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

Sund7101
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:32 PM
good luck against venus. She has a shot if she plays to win, if she plays conservatively she'll lose.

penkku
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
Good luck Anna :) keep cool and get on your best fighting spirit ;) maybe your serve is on fire today and we have a tight match ahead of us :hug:

goldenlox
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:51 PM
The match starts in a little over 3 hours.

GeorgianFan
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
cmon Anya! :bigclap: :bigclap:

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 02:00 AM
It's show time!

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Venus is missing some forehands. Anna will have to hit there all night

RsaibotD
Aug 4th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Anna must be playing very good:) .... she serve for the first set:)

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Anna was serving 52. Now she's serving 54

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Now it's 5-5. Anna's 1st serve is awful tonight.

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Anna served for the set 3 times and was broken 3 times.

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Anna lost the set 76(5)

mrtybrodur30
Aug 4th, 2007, 03:21 AM
what a tough set to lose for anna.

Wintermute
Aug 4th, 2007, 03:25 AM
My fears are coming true. Anna's serve is going to pieces on all the crucial points. I think she perhaps has too much respect for Venus, even when Venus isn't playing that well and Anna has a dominant position. She just needs to get over this mental block and say to herself that she can and should win this set.

mrtybrodur30
Aug 4th, 2007, 03:30 AM
atleast she just held and is not 2 breaks behind, i dont like when her service games are so scary like this.

mrtybrodur30
Aug 4th, 2007, 03:48 AM
not looking good now anna broke to tie 3-3 but then venus broke back 3-4 now =/

mrtybrodur30
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:18 AM
yes anna takes the second set in the tiebreak 7-3, and its going to the third! she can take this, i feel like she has played better most of the match just hasnt took advantage of opportunities in crucial points.

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Davai Anna! You can do it!

Wintermute
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:21 AM
yes anna takes the second set in the tiebreak 7-3, and its going to the third! she can take this, i feel like she has played better most of the match just hasnt took advantage of opportunities in crucial points.

If Anna had not double faulted on her set points in the first set she could have won this already.

mrtybrodur30
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:25 AM
If Anna had not double faulted on her set points in the first set she could have won this already.

exactly lets hope she can pull this out. she looks good in the third so far though

selyoink
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:30 AM
That was really an impressive choke in the first set from Anna. Venus' was nice as well but not nearly as impressive. I thought for sure Anna would tank in that set. Glad she fought.

Up 4-1 and a double break now. Hope there isn't another massive choke. Venus seems to have gone off the deep end though.

selyoink
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Anna wins :woohoo:

Her amazing first set choke ends up being meaningless. Thanks for the choke at 5-3 Venus. And for donating the third set. The difference in this match was Anna kept fighting after her choke. Once Venus lost the second set she practically quit.

cosmoose
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:44 AM
http://smackforum.net/images/smilies/bunny.gifhttp://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/apple.gifAnna Wins!!!!http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/tomato.gifhttp://smackforum.net/images/smilies/bunny.gif
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/dancing.gifhttp://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/dancing.gifhttp://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/dancing.gifhttp://forum.skyscraperpage.com/images/smilies/dancing.gif

~|Naomi|~
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Amazing Win Anna:worship:

Good Luck against Sharapova:)

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:48 AM
:worship: Anna, saving a match point! Great job!

Wintermute
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:52 AM
:bounce::bounce::bounce: Such a huge win for Anna and a :ras: to all the haters this past week in the GM.

The loss of the first set would be a killer for most players and I had serious doubts she could be competitive in the second set. But the way she hung in there just increases my respect for her.

selyoink
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:54 AM
So much for fatigue I guess. Showed no signs of being tired tonight. Whether the same will hold true for tomorrow though is a big question. I have to think she will be tired by then. Hope she can will herself to another win.

selyoink
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:55 AM
:bounce::bounce::bounce: Such a huge win for Anna and a :ras: to all the haters this past week in the GM.

The loss of the first set would be a killer for most players and I had serious doubts she could be competitive in the second set. But the way she hung in there just increases my respect for her.

I thought she was going to get bagelled in the second set. Her desire for winning was very evident though unlike Venus who totally packed it in in the third set.

hu2891601
Aug 4th, 2007, 05:10 AM
I think there will be more threads about Anna in GM now :lol:

cosmoose
Aug 4th, 2007, 05:21 AM
I think there will be more threads about Anna in GM now :lol:

Its Anna pandemonium!!!
GM posters don't know what to do with Anna! :lol:

RsaibotD
Aug 4th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Anna Is a Real Top 10.... and soon will be a real top 5:cool: .... I´m very happy for her:)

GeorgianFan
Aug 4th, 2007, 07:04 AM
OMG ANNA! :eek: :worship: :worship: :worship: :banana:

Ballbasher
Aug 4th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Awesome job :worship:

penkku
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Anna :) what an incredible fight, must say I was afraid before the match Venus would steamroll but should´ve known better, over 4 years following your results and being a fan since Stockholm 2004 seeing you live, especially on hardcourts you can win anyone (ok, maybe not Justine and Serena yet but who knows) ;) Being so smart you read the opponents game and after what seems like a slow start you know how to beat them :)
Masha is very tough next up but keep your head cool and fight like you can, maybe 1st win over Maria isn´t so far ahead :hug:

BUBI
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I'm glad the next opponent is Masha. Anna has some unfinished business with her :armed:

She has lately been revenging all her losses: Safarova, Jankovic, Hantuchova (twice), Venus...

Now add Sharapova to the list :bounce:

Agassi Fan
Aug 4th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Good luck against Sharapova!!!

smokovec
Aug 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Great win, Annaaaaaaaaa!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Another thrilling Match against a top player, but the finish this time is different, nice job! I'm sure this give also more confidence in Matches like this, now another revenge possibility against Masha, uhm, I'm not sure if Anna has the energy to give problems to Masha today. :rolleyes:

saint2
Aug 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Congrats Anna...Now its time to show Masha who is Russian number one :)

Pink Princess
Aug 4th, 2007, 11:33 AM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6386/29583060kr0.jpg

Princess Anna wonhttp://www.alexpepper.com/images/smilies/princess%5b1%5d.gifhttp://www.alexpepper.com/images/smilies/princess%5b1%5d.gifhttp://www.alexpepper.com/images/smilies/princess%5b1%5d.gif:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 4th, 2007, 12:24 PM
wow Anna :banana: :D :)
great stuff !!!!!!

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Doesn't Anna know she's supposed to get tired?

BUBI
Aug 4th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Doesn't Anna know she's supposed to get tired?
Winning gives you extra energy :D:bounce:

GeorgianFan
Aug 4th, 2007, 01:40 PM
cmon Anya! :bigclap: :bigclap:

Wintermute
Aug 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Chakvetadze Battles Past Williams, Reaches Semifinals

SAN DIEGO, CA, USA - All four of the Acura Classic quarterfinals took the courts of the La Costa Resort and Spa Friday but one stood out from the others as an instant classic, as Anna Chakvetadze rallied from a set and 5-3 down to beat one of the all-time greats, Venus Williams, to reach the semifinals.

Although she was the higher-ranked player - No.6 against No.16 - Chakvetadze had lost to Williams easily in both of their prior encounters, including just a few weeks ago in Fed Cup play. And she even stared directly into another straight set loss, dropping the first set after leading 5-2 then going down 5-3 in the second, with match point against her. But the 20-year-old never gave up, and in the end she extended her win streak to 12 matches, 67(5) 76(3) 62.

"It was the biggest win of my career," Chakvetadze said. "I was running in every point and fighting until the end, and I think that's why I won. I'm really happy I won, but I'm already thinking about my match tomorrow."

"I really wanted to win this match," Williams declared. "I felt like I could win it, but it didn't work out."

The nail-biting victory was a stark contrast to a comprehensive 61 64 loss three weeks ago in the Fed Cup semifinals.

"She just played better in Vermont," Chakvetadze said. "She won that match and I couldn't do anything. Here it was easier because I knew what I had to do, a game plan in my mind, and it helped that I played against her three weeks ago."

Awaiting the No.3-seeded Chakvetadze in the semis is top seed Maria Sharapova, who crushed an in-form Sania Mirza in the afternoon, 62 61. Mirza had notched a pair of Top 20 victories over Shahar Peer and Dinara Safina in making the last eight, but against the world No.2 she was no match, falling in just over an hour.

Sharapova is 4-0 against Chakvetadze, winning both of their matches this year in straight sets, in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open and Roland Garros.

"I've got to be aggressive and smart when I need to be smarter," Sharapova said about the looming semifinal. "She plays similarly to Hingis - she's very patient and doesn't give you a lot of easy points. I will have to step it up when I need to. We always have close ones but it has gone my way the last couple of times."

wtatour.com (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1589)

Wintermute
Aug 4th, 2007, 02:32 PM
After her defeat, Williams leaned back in a chair in the room where she was receiving the press. When she was asked if she was weary, her answer was, “Can't you tell? Yeah, I'm a little tired.” Her summation: “It didn't work out. She (Chakvetadze) played well. Congratulations to her for saving her best tennis for San Diego.”

signonsandiego.com (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20070804-9999-1s4acura.html)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070804/images/sp-acura.jpg

Chakvetadze said that the crowd of 5,500 helped pull her through the marathon that lasted two and a half hours.

"I'll have to try and do my best tomorrow, but I don't know what my strategy against Maria will be. I'm tired now and will have to see how I feel on the day.

"I'll try to move her around and hope for the best," said the winner of July events in Cincinnati and Stanford.

IOL (http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=30&art_id=nw20070804103714788C550990)

Sund7101
Aug 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Amazing match from Anna!!! She really fought hard in this match. Once she got up in the first set and let it slip and then got behind in the second I thought it might be over, but Anna just kept fighting. Anna will beat sharapova, she has to capitalize on her opportunities and get a high percentage of first serves in.

Go Anna Go!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I hope Anna has the energy to fight today. This would be a big win for her.

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM
http://oas.uniontrib.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_nx.ads/www.uniontrib.com/clickability@Right (http://oas.uniontrib.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.ads/www.uniontrib.com/clickability@Right) ACURA CLASSIC
Russian stuns Venus in upset

Chakvetadze nixes a Sharapova semi

By Jerry Magee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 4, 2007

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070804/images/sp-acura.jpg
CRISSY PASCUAL / Union-Tribune
Anna Chakvetadze hits return in victory over Venus Williams.
CARLSBAD – You know that possible Venus Williams-Maria Sharapova semifinal at the Acura Classic today that had the La Costa Resort and Spa agog at the incredible grandeur of it? Forget about it. Grandeur got sidetracked last night and so did Williams. She held a match point while serving at 5-4 in the second set but double-faulted and Anna Chakvetadze of Russia eventually ran her down 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 in 2 hours and 32 minutes.
Earlier, Sharapova had been stunning in her efficiency in outgunning Sania Mirza of India 6-2, 6-1. Instead of Williams, her conqueror in the fourth round at Wimbledon, Sharapova now draws Chakvetadze for a 1 p.m. semifinal.
Sharapova is 4-0 against her countrywoman.
In the other semifinal, to be offered tonight at 7, Patty Schnyder of Switzerland is to oppose Elena Dementieva of Russia. A confident Schnyder yesterday removed No. 4 seed Nadia Petrova 6-4, 6-4 and Dementieva got past Maria Kirilenko 6-2, 6-4 in a match between Russian women who never before had engaged one another.

After her defeat, Williams leaned back in a chair in the room where she was receiving the press. When she was asked if she was weary, her answer was, “Can't you tell? Yeah, I'm a little tired.” Her summation: “It didn't work out. She (Chakvetadze) played well. Congratulations to her for saving her best tennis for San Diego.”
Chakvetadze now is positioned to claim a third championship on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in three weeks, having scored at Cincinnati and Stanford. “I was fighting until the end, and that is why I won,” she said. She called her triumph the biggest of her career. “It was very important to beat Venus in the U.S.,” Chakvetadze said. “The crowd was important. I'm already thinking about tomorrow.”

Williams had outplayed Chakvetadze in the recent Russia-United States Fed Cup match 6-1, 6-4, but she could not shake loose from the 20-year-old Moscow resident last night, even though Chakvetadze could not convert two set points in the first set while serving at 5-2. Chakvetadze additionally almost checkmated herself with double faults, at one juncture dropping her serve in three consecutive games, in each of which she double faulted on game points against her. Mirza is a player of promise, but she was able to occupy Sharapova only briefly. “There were two things that were going to be important – serve and return of serve,” said Sharapova. In neither area could Mirza match the defending champion and No. 1 seed, who has been serving assertively all week and yesterday was whaling on Mirza's second serve.
“I didn't want the points to go long,” said Sharapova. “I don't return passively. Her second serve was in the 80s (in miles per hour). I wanted to make sure I took that ball and hit it.”
A Sharapova victory in this tournament would be her first of the season and the first since she captured the U.S. Open in 2006 by felling Amelie Mauresmo and Justine Henin in the semifinals and final. Sharapova said she considers her season to have been neither a source of frustration nor a learning experience.
“You can't expect everything to go your way,” Sharapova said. “Every year is a learning experience; life is a learning experience. Yesterday I was trying to catch waves. It was a learning experience. I don't care if something fails because if you don't try it, you definitely have failed.”
Schnyder has found a level of comfort at La Costa she has not experienced at other venues. Against Petrova, she had just one moment of uncertainty. Serving in the second set with a 4-1 lead, she double faulted three times, perhaps because, being left-handed, on her toss she had to stare into the sun.
Dementieva is returning to the tour after being idled for six weeks with three broken ribs. “I didn't know what happened to me,” she said. “I couldn't breath.”
What had happened, she later learned, was that her injury had occurred when a conditioner was putting her through a series of resistance exercises. He no longer is her conditioner. And Dementieva, a master defender on a tennis court, is playing strongly, as she did against Kirilenko, who before this week had won consecutive matches just twice.

RsaibotD
Aug 4th, 2007, 05:05 PM
order of play
Saturday, August 4, 2007

Stadium (from 13.00hrs)
1. Sharapova vs. Chakvetadze
2. Azarenka/Chakvetadze vs. Srebotnik/Sugiyama (after suitable rest)
3. Schnyder vs. Dementieva (NB 19.00hrs)
4. Black/Huber vs. Chan/Chuang

:mad:

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Anna can rest next week

Sharapower8
Aug 4th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Good luck Anna ! Hope she'll be good ! :wavey: :kiss:

the cat
Aug 4th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Congrats to Anna on her big win over Venus Williams. :) It's the biggest win of her career. Anna will need to play just as well today if not better to beat an in form and well rested Maria Sharapova.

Topspin2
Aug 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Good luck Anna!!!:rocker2: :bigwave:

Wintermute
Aug 4th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Stadium (from 13.00hrs)
1. Sharapova vs. Chakvetadze
2. Azarenka/Chakvetadze vs. Srebotnik/Sugiyama (after suitable rest)
:mad:

Yeah, a bit unfortunate that Anna finished her 2h30 match at 10.00 last night and has to play her semi at 1.00pm. But hopefully she'll carry through the momentum from that match and put up another good fight.

This will be live on British Eurosport tonight! :) (9pm)

Anna can rest next week

Exactly!

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I'm sure Anna wants this match. She knows she's 0-4 against her.
It's a question of energy. Anna might be too tired or sore today.
At least then she can rest.
Her mom and brother are getting quite a show these last 2 weeks.

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Anna was broken in a game she led 40-15.

GeorgianFan
Aug 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
cmooonn fight Anna!

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Anna had 2 winners and 13 ue's in the first set. Only 49% first serves

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Anna is exhausted. it's 36 15
But it's been quite a run these last few weeks

GeorgianFan
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
anna :sobbing:

hope your leg is all right

Wintermute
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM
:awww: Anna was cramping at the end there. She's played a hell of a lot of tennis recently and it finally caught up with her today. I don't know if she would have recovered much better even if this had been scheduled for the night match. And she's still supposed to play doubles later. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to play doubles here despite the success she's had.

The previous two times Anna played Maria she complained she was fatigued going into the match and it was the same today. I'd like to see a fully rested Anna take a crack at her!

Anyway it was an awesome tournament for her with that huge win over Venus. The last three weeks have been excellent. Now hopefully Anna can rest up and get some good advice from Lansdorp.

KV
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:27 PM
:awww: Anna was cramping at the end there. She's played a hell of a lot of tennis recently and it finally caught up with her today. I don't know if she would have recovered much better even if this had been scheduled for the night match. And she's still supposed to play doubles later. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to play doubles here despite the success she's had.

The previous two times Anna played Maria she complained she was fatigued going into the match and it was the same today. I'd like to see a fully rested Anna take a crack at her!

Anyway it was an awesome tournament for her with that huge win over Venus. The last three weeks have been excellent. Now hopefully Anna can rest up and get some good advice from Lansdorp.
Agree, Anna leaves the tournament with head hold up high. Unfortunately we couldn't watch what Anna is capable of. To be fair you can't expect much from a tired Anna esp. vs. an in form Masha.

BUBI
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I just hope Anna gets to play Sharapova again as soon as possible :fiery::armed:

Next time she needs to plan her schedule better.

saint2
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Anna, baby, please rest now...In last gems she was really tired....According to a schedule she must play doubles before second SF...What IDIOT made this schedule?

smokovec
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Today Anna is not able to win, but I'm very happy for the Match against Venus and obviously the 2 titles in Stanford and Cincinnati.

Time to rest and then you can show your abilities in Toronto and US Open!

Pink Princess
Aug 4th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Is completely absurd this Order of play!!! GRRR :mad: :mad: :mad:

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Anna is back on court for her doubles semi

Ballbasher
Aug 4th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Chaky :sad: Wewll I'm happy Maria is getting to better form although the scheduling :help: Doubles now think she'll lose there too

saint2
Aug 4th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Anna is back on court for her doubles semi

Thats idiotic...I cant find any logic in today order of play..:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

GeorgianFan
Aug 4th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Be careful Anya!

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I'm watching the match. Vika is doing most of the running. Anna looks a lot happier than when she plays singles.

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Anna just made a big ue. It looks like they're headed to a super tie break.
Anna doesn't look happy anymore

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM
They are playing the 10 point tb
Anna/Vika lead 5-0

GeorgianFan
Aug 4th, 2007, 11:47 PM
they won :)

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Anna plays the doubles final 62 36 10-6

Ballbasher
Aug 4th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Chaky :sad: Wewll I'm happy Maria is getting to better form although the scheduling :help: Doubles now think she'll lose there too
Wow :eek: Didn't expect them to win :eek: :D But Kata/Ai again :sad:

Pink Princess
Aug 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM
The Princesses of the braid to the Final!!!

Annahttp://www.alexpepper.com/images/smilies/princess%5b1%5d.gifand Vikahttp://www.alexpepper.com/images/smilies/princess%5b1%5d.gif

:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

goldenlox
Aug 5th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Chakvetadze won consecutive tournaments in Cincinnati and Stanford and needed two and a half hours Friday night to subdue Venus Williams. Her left leg was cramping by the end. "I felt very tired," said Chakvetadze. "Maria played very well and hit a lot of winners but I couldn't run. I was not able to fight like I did yesterday."

Wintermute
Aug 5th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Anna plays the doubles final 62 36 10-6

:eek: Outstanding. Another doubles final! The amazing week continues after all. :D

the cat
Aug 5th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Anna is in good form but I think she's in danger of peaking too soon fo the U.S. Open. She really needs some time off to rest her weary body. :zzz:

Pink Princess
Aug 5th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Highlights 1/4 Final

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx_EONl0sz8

That barbarity the match that Anna played :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

RsaibotD
Aug 5th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Anna & Vika :yeah: .... thanks for the video pink princess

penkku
Aug 5th, 2007, 08:11 PM
GL Vika/Anna in the final :)

goldenlox
Aug 6th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Anna is playing the last ever match at this tournament right now.

hu2891601
Aug 6th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Anna is playing the last ever match at this tournament right now.

She finished the match 2 hours ago! It's not LIVE on TV!

goldenlox
Aug 6th, 2007, 03:14 AM
That's funny. I'm glad no one put the score in.

Wintermute
Aug 6th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Well I'll put the score in!

Black/Huber def. Azarenka/Chakvetadze 7-5 6-4

Pretty respectable scoreline against the no1 seeds. And that's San Diego done!

selyoink
Aug 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
They served for the first set but Azarenka got broken. She got broken all three times she served in that set.

She also got broken in the last game of the match after they had just got back on serve.

steffiforever
Oct 8th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Does any ANNA fans know how I can get her win over Venus in San Diego!! I know it was on the Tennis Channel but I cant seem to find anyone who has a copy of it on DVD or even an AVI file or torrent. I cant believe how difficult getting this match has become:(:(