PDA

View Full Version : Acura Classic

Rod the Bama
Jul 28th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Here`s the draw for the Acura Classic in San Diego.

(1) Maria Sharapova vs. BYE
Laura Granville vs. Tamarine Tanasugarn
Akiko Morigami vs. Qualifier
Gisela Dulko vs. (13) Tatiana Golovin

(12) Shahar Peer vs. Sania Mirza
Jill Craybas vs. Eleni Daniilidou
Camille Pin vs. Qualifier
BYE vs. (8) Dinara Safina

(3) Anna Chakvetadze vs. BYE
Olga Poutchkova vs. Meghann Shaughnessy
Ai Sugiyama vs. Qualifier
Kateryna Bondarenko vs. (15) Sybille Bammer

(10) Venus Williams vs. Anastassia Rodionova
Virginie Razzano vs. Qualifier
Victoria Azarenka vs. Yung-Jan Chan
BYE vs. (6) Daniela Hantuchova

(7) Martina Hingis vs. BYE
Michaella Krajicek vs. Qualifier
Alla Kudryavtseva vs. Julia Vakulenko
Jamea Jackson vs. (11) Patty Schnyder

(14) Alona Bondarenko vs. Peng Shuai
Nicole Pratt vs. Katarina Srebotnik
Elena Bovina vs. (WC) Coco Vandeweghe
BYE vs. (4) Nadia Petrova

(5) Marion Bartoli vs. BYE
Milagros Sequera vs. Qualifier
Qualifier vs. (WC) Brittany Augustine
(WC) Catalina Castano vs. (9) Elena Dementieva

(16) Lucia Safarova vs. Meilen Tu
Maria Kirilenko vs. Qualifier
Vania King vs. (WC) Asia Muhammed
BYE vs. (2) Jelena Jankovic

Makiri has a very brutal section with Jelena and Lucie in it. Still i have some confidence in her. If she can somehow get it together, then i can see her at least getting to the third round.

Crank
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Brutal ... She must gained simply gained does not matter which is the other side of the net ...

Sharapower8
Jul 28th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Jankovic again :o
Btw, Good luck little Maria ! It's all about trust ! :bounce:

only_one_maria
Jul 29th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Have some faith! She can beat Safarova. And remember she had a really good chance to beat Jankovic on grass, a surface we know Maria doesn't like.

I see no reason why she can't get to the 3rd round, then who knows? Not wanting to get ahead of myself but the potential quarter-final would look an easier match than the 3rd round.

BTW: Is this Tier 1?

Michael_21
Jul 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM
tough draw for maria but u never know good luck maria :D

Kirilenko_Kamp
Jul 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Nobody expects you to do anything here Makiri. Let's show your opponents what "Makiri Style" of tennis is all about. Let's prove to all the nay-sayers that they're all wrong about you! UNLEASH HELL on your opponents Makiri!!!

Vassili
Jul 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Davaï Maria !

Topspin2
Jul 29th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Good luck MaKiri :kiss:

JimM
Jul 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Take it too them Maria!!!

http://www.theseventhgame.co.uk/mashaflag.png

dulkogii
Jul 30th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Maria play with DULKO dobles!

fantastic!

i love this team! GOOD LUCK!

draw is here http://www.acuraclassic.com/Sched-Results/Draw/PDFs/2007/WTAII_LD_DMD072907.pdf

Rod the Bama
Jul 30th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Nice to see Makiri back playing doubles again this time with Gisela. Unfortunately they got the Bondarenko Sisters in the first round. :( Still i hope they give a good effort in their match.

dulkogii
Jul 30th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Doubles Main Draw

Black/Huber (ZIM/RSA) (1) vs Bye
Fedak/Poutchek (UKR/BLR) vs Morariu/Scnhyder (USA/SUI)
Danilidiou/Woehr (GRE/GER) vs Castano/Tanasugarn (COL/TPE)
Bondarenko/Bondarenko (UKR/UKR) vs Dulko/Kirilenko (ARG/RUS) (6)

Chan/Chuang (TPE/TPE) (3) vs Bye
Morigami/Tu (JPN/USA) vs Craybas/Granville (USA/USA)
Henke/Makarova (GER/RUS) vs King/Peng (USA/CHN)
Nakamura/Pin (JPN/FRA) vs Jankovic/Petrova (SRB/RUS) (8)

Husarova/Shaughnessy (SVK/USA) (5) vs Ehritt-Vanc/Rodionova (ROM/RUS)
Azarenka/Chakvetadze (BLR/RUS) vs Augustine/Rolle (USA/USA) (WC)
Golovin/Safina (FRA/RUS) vs Kerber/Osterloh (GER/USA) (WC)
Peschke/Stubbs (CZE/AUS) (4) vs Bye

Mirza/Peer (IND/ISR) (7) vs Bachman/Sromova (GER/CZE)
Hsieh/Kudryavtseva (TPE/RUS) vs Pratt/Stewart (AUS/AUS)
Dekmeijere/Senoglu (LAT/TUR) vs Krajicek/Mattek (NED/USA)
Srebotnik/Sugiyama (SLO/JPN) (2) vs Bye

only_one_maria
Jul 30th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Why is everyone so convinced this is a bad draw? Given Makiri's current low ranking we can hardly expect an easy one. She has some qualifier in round 1 (hardly a disaster) and then probably the no.16 seed in round 2. Safarova played a good match against Jankovic at Wimbledon, but Makiri can beat her.

RonnieB33
Jul 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM
The return of Dulkolenko!!! Hope this brings good vibes for her.

The singles draw is good for Maria. Though you can't take anybody for granted these days (e.g. Corzet), facing a qualifier in the first round will always be better than facing a seeded player. Also, when you're unseeded, and will draw a seed in the 2nd round, why not the 16th seed? Would you rather it be Jankovic already? Seriously, given that she's unseeded, who would you want Maria to switch places with?

Rod the Bama
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:19 AM
Nice start to the Acura Classic for Makiri. :clap: She did what she was suppose to do against a qualifer like Hana Sromova and took care of business. I know it was only against a qualifier, but it`s nice to see Makiri win in a rather comfortable matter.

TennisPlayingFox
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:27 AM
Nice win Maria! Good luck against Lucie!

RonnieB33
Jul 31st, 2007, 12:27 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1377/955652355_f36db48244.jpg
She did it! Just in the nick of time before the clock strikes one hour!

All around good marks for Maria! Even held steady with moderate pressure from her opponent. Sure, the girl had little chance since she just came off of two 3-setters in the quallies, but Maria looks to be regaining her form.

Let's see it if it's Tu or Safarova! Anyone know much about either of these players? All I've seen from Tu is when she got trounced by Petrova in Fed Cup. Not much of an impression there.

Rod the Bama
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:26 AM
Let's see it if it's Tu or Safarova! Anyone know much about either of these players? All I've seen from Tu is when she got trounced by Petrova in Fed Cup. Not much of an impression there.

I don`t know anything about Tu, but i do know that Lucie is a good up and coming player and could give Makiri a lot of problem should they meet up in the next round, especially with the fact that she`s a lefty. Still i like Makiri`s chances against either of these ladies. If she can put together a nice match, then she has a good chance of winning.

Derek.
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:19 AM
Maria. :banana:

Now get a big win!

dulkogii
Jul 31st, 2007, 03:20 AM
Come on Maria..!!

good luck

Natash.
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:43 AM
I don`t know anything about Tu, but i do know that Lucie is a good up and coming player and could give Makiri a lot of problem should they meet up in the next round, especially with the fact that she`s a lefty. Still i like Makiri`s chances against either of these ladies. If she can put together a nice match, then she has a good chance of winning.

I think if Makiri faces Lucie, she'll have the advantage in terms of head to head. But Lucie has been playing pretty well so :confused: who might win.

If she faces Tu, I think based on talent and ability, Makiri should win this. Tu isn't too much trouble compared to Lucie.

Natash.
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:45 AM
Versus LucieSAFAROVA (CZE)
Year Tournament Round Surface Winner Score
2001 Leciva Czech Junior Open SF Clay (O) L.SAFAROVA 4-6 6-2 2-6
2002 US Open Junior Championships 64 Hard (O) M.KIRILENKO 7-5 6-3
2005 Doha 32 Hard (O) M.KIRILENKO 6-3 6-1
2006 Dubai 16 Hard (O) M.KIRILENKO 6-4 6-3

Michael_21
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:29 AM
Very good win maria but a tough match next against lucie good luck

Vassili
Jul 31st, 2007, 08:19 AM
nice win Maria :kiss:

only_one_maria
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:04 AM
I suppose if you have trouble winning close matches, one of the best things to do is make sure the matches aren't close.

only_one_maria
Jul 31st, 2007, 11:06 AM
I suppose if you have trouble winning close matches, one of the best things to do is make sure the matches aren't close.

Checking on wikipedia, Hana has a career high ranking of 64, so a defeat would have been awful for Makiri.

Still she should have plenty of energy left for Safarova, I just worry that all the doubles play will tire her out eventually.

dulkogii
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:37 PM
Court 1 (from 10.00hrs)
1. K.Bondarenko vs. Bammer
2. Razzano vs. Shvedova
3. Golovin/Safina vs. Kerber/Osterloh
4. A.Bondarenko/K.Bondarenko vs. Dulko/Kirilenko

Sharapower8
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:28 PM
Congratulations Maria ! It's good for the confidence :bounce:
Good luck against Lucie, I hope she's gonna win !

saint2
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:34 PM
It looks like Maria has found her form...Congratulations :worship: :worship:

JimM
Jul 31st, 2007, 04:40 PM
Lucie plays Melien Tu tonight (UK). So it is by no means certain Maria will face Lucie. Lucie is still finding her form after injury time out, and played very well at the Championships. Melien has caused upsets before, and there might be another.

If Maria plays has she has done against Vika and Hana then I think she will win. I was well impressed with her winning 81% of her service points!

Good luck Maria!!

http://www.theseventhgame.co.uk/mashaflag.png

Kirilenko_Kamp
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:02 PM
Congrats Makiri with your solid win against a qualifier in the 1st round. Let's have a repeat performance in the 2nd round with a victory! Good luck Makiri!

Topspin2
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:01 PM
Makiri win 6-1 6-2 :bounce: Good luck!)))))):worship:

Mashak
Jul 31st, 2007, 10:58 PM
Next is Lucieeeee :p

dulkogii
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:45 AM
Dulko/Kirilenko def Bondarenko 6-4 7-6

Rod the Bama
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:46 AM
Good win for Makiri and Gisela. :clap2: I love that they made a nice comeback from down 1-4 in the 2nd set.

Beny
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:25 PM
Dulko/Kirilenko def Bondarenko 6-4 7-6

Fans who wandered over to Court 1 during the afternoon at the Acura Classic got a real treat as they got to see an exciting first-round Acura Classic doubles match.

Argentina’s Gisela Dulko and Maria Kirilenko of Russia defeated the sister team of Alona and Kateryna Bondarenko of the Ukraine, 6-4, 7-6 (6) in 1 hour and 32 minutes.

With no add scoring in the first two sets, and a match tiebreak contested instead of a third set, a single point can make a doubles match on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour even more exciting than ever.

That’s exactly what happened in the first set when Kirilenko, serving at 3-2, fell behind 0-40. The young Russian responded with three straight aces, but lost the next point to lose her serve.

Dulko and Kirilenko recovered from the service break and proceeded to win the set 6-4 in 36 minutes.

The Bondarenko sisters were not going to go down easily as they used an early service break to take a 4-1 lead in the second set.

It wasn’t enough as Dulko and Kirilenko made several spectacular saves to get the break back and tie the set at 4-4.

The set would eventually be decided by a tiebreaker which would be won by Kirilenko and Dulko, 8-6.
This is the doubles report from acuraclassic.com
Makiri served three aces in a row :eek: ..I think it's rare to do that..especially in doubles

only_one_maria
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM
When is she scheduled to play Safarova?

Just a bit worried about all this doubles play. Still, if her coach is happy with it, we should keep faith.

JimM
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:47 PM
Maria vs Safarova 3rd Match on Court 1. Play starts 10am US Pacific time. 7pm or 8pm UK time not sure.

Court 1 (from 10.00hrs)
1. A.Bondarenko vs. Srebotnik
2. Pin vs. Safina
3. Safarova vs. Kirilenko

Удача Мария

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Crank
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
K.I.R.I.L.E.N.K.O good luck vs. Safarova :scared:

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM
And they're off. Lucie to serve first.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:01 PM
1st Set
0 - 1

Lucie gets the first game at 30, taking the first three points, then giving up the next two, before closing it out.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:06 PM
1st Set
1 - 1

Maria holds after one deuce and saving a break point.

She gets 6 of 8 first serves in winning 5 of those points, mixing an ace with a DF.

Crank
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
you looks on TV ?

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
1st Set
2 - 1

Maria breaks!

After blowing 0-40, plus another break point, the fifth one's the charm. Lucie is serving at a 44% clip which is good news for the new and improved Maria who now eats up second serves for breakfast. Will it continue?

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM
you looks on TV ?
No TV, just relying on Live Score.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/results/

Click on "Click for LIVE SCORING" banner.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:17 PM
1st Set
3 - 1

Maria holds at 30.

She fell behind 15-30 before winning three straight points. So far, so good. Keep the ship steady.

Crank
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Yes I know thanks, It is not very pleasant :lol:

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:22 PM
1st Set
3 - 2

Lucie holds.

Lucie only missed one first serve, but Maria is still having a beat on it as she got break point. But an ace erased that opportunity and another ace closed the game out. I sill like that Maria is forcing Lucie to raise her game to beat Maria. Can Maria keep holding?

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:27 PM
1st Set
4 - 2

Maria holds at 15.

Good game for Maria. Gets 3 of 5 serves in and gets the first easy game of the match. Easy being winning a game by more than two points. Good stat line on serve: 68% first serves in, 69% first serve points won, 67% 2nd serve points won. Keep this up and she's up a set.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:29 PM
1st Set
4 - 3

Lucie holds at 15.

Lucie comes back with a strong service game herself. She has missed two serves in the past two service games. Maria, of course, won both of those points. I'll be very impressed if Maria wins this set by holding her next two games. *Cross fingers* Heck, I'll be impressed if Maria wins this set in any shape or form!

Crank
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:30 PM
4 - 3 :tennis:

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:36 PM
1st Set
5 - 3

Maria holds at 30!

Wow, 4 straight holds against a quality opponent to start the match. Excellent. This was tough. At 15-15, Maria missed a first serve and lost the point. At 15-30, Maria missed a first serve, and I expected her to lose the point. But, no, she didn't, she won that point and then won the next two points on first serves to hold. Those same serving statistics I mentioned earlier are still in the 60% range which is good news. I swear, earlier in the year, those second serves would be DFs. But not so far. Keep it up!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:38 PM
Shaugnessy lost just now to Anna C, as did Azarenka and Daniilidou, pretty much ensuring that Maria will be ranked at least #38 after this tournament is over. Nice to be back in the Top 40 again!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:47 PM
1st Set
5 - 4

Lucie holds after 1 deuce.

Maria was two points away from the set. But Lucie held firm despite missing two serves in this game. She was able to win one of those this time, and it's now the moment of truth for Maria in this set. By the way, Lucie's first serve stats are 65%/75%/31% (1st serve in, 1st serve win, 2nd serve win).

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Maria serves the set out at 6-4! Great job Maria! Keep it up!

Mashak
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the report Ronnie.. :)

Maria took the first set 6-4!
So great! :cool: :D

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM
1st Set
6 - 4

:bounce: Maria holds after two deuces to take the 1st Set! :bounce:

I am impressed. Maria held 5 straight games to win the 1st set. She faced only one break point (in the first game), though there were numerous deuces. The Live Score got tricky as it went from Deuce to Set Maria in one refresh. A pleasant surprise. Here are the 1st Set stats:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1069/977221195_fc1752641d.jpg

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:52 PM
2nd Set
0 - 1

Lucie holds at love.

Two first serves in. Two first serves out. No points to Maria.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:56 PM
2nd Set
1 - 1

Maria holds at 15.

She makes only 1 of 5 first serves, but the only point she lost was a DF. I wish I could see a winner/unforced error ratio from Live Score.

Crank
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Yess Good job Ronnie ! Kirilenko :bigclap:

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
2nd Set
1 - 2

Lucie holds after one deuce.

Lucie misses just one first serve in this game to continue her torrid first serving since game #3. Ironically, the one serve she missed she still won the point, meaning that Maria has lost all 3 second serve recieving points this set. Not good. Hope this is a blip on the radar. She must convert these opportunities to have a chance to win.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM
She's really faltering on that first serve. It's getting progressively worse with each service game. But she still hasn't lost serve yet!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:08 PM
2nd Set
2 - 2

Maria holds at 15.

She is serving at a 30% clip this set so far. Fortunately, she's won all 3 of those first serve points and 71% of the second serve points. Why is she winning this match? This stat: 2nd serve points won (13 of 20 = 65%). This is unthinkable before. Only 2 double faults as well. Is her serve that much more improved? Is Lucie choking these points? How the hell would I know? I can't watch the points. Maybe I should drive my ass over 75 minutes to Carlsbad to see for myself. But then, that would be kind of obsessive of me. Maria really needs to be on TV more. Two more wins, and she may be!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM
2nd Set
2 - 3

Lucie holds at 30.

Maria wins her first second serve recieving point, but it's not enough. This match is either an excellent serving day for both, or a horrible recieving day. Servers have won 66% of the points so far, which doesn't seem typical of women's matches. I wonder what's going on.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM
2nd Set
3 - 3

Maria holds at 15 for the third consecutive time.

Mari has been amazing on serve this match. Not much in aces, a far cry from the doubles match where she apparently served 3 aces in a row down 0-40. Now, the coveted 7th game of the set!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
By the way, the serving stats for each so far:

(1st%/1st win%/2nd win%)
Maria: 47%/86%/75%
Lucie: 76%/71%/80%

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:18 PM
2nd Set
3 - 4

Lucie holds at 30.

Maria lost a second serve point to lose this game. She is no longer the queen of 2nd serve returns as I had claimed her to be in the first set. She'll need to be to win this match. It's now getting tight. Will nerves enter Maria's game? Or has her new coach given her advice how to deal with nerves? Be wary of DFs!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:23 PM
2nd Set
4 - 4

Maria holds at 15 for the FOURTH consecutive time.

She loses the first point on a second serve and then hits four straight first serves in including an ace to close out the game. Impressive. She's at 55% first serves in in the 2nd set after a slow start. She's lost 4 points on serve this set.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:27 PM
2nd Set
4 - 5

Lucie holds at 30.

Lucie started to falter on serve, missing 4 of 6, but Maria only won 2 of those points and none of the first serve points. Hence, she loses the game and is serving to stay in. Must take quick break now. Hope things are okay when I get back.

Crank
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:31 PM
Maria :woohoo: 5 - 5

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:32 PM
2nd Set
5 - 5

Maria holds at 15 for the FIFTH consecutive time!

A broken record worth playing over and over again. She has won 13 of 14 1st serve points this set. Amazing. Now break please!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM
2nd Set
5 - 6

Lucie holds at 15.

Lucie put one first serve in that game and lost the point. But she won the other 4 where she did not get that first serve in. What gives? What will the tie-break score be? 15-13? Oops, getting ahead of myself. Don't want to do that! Maria has held serve 10 out of 10 times this match facing only one break point. Please keep this up and get to the breaker!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:40 PM
2nd Set
6 - 6

Maria holds at deuce.

Closes it in fine form with an ace!

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:40 PM
Tiebreak. Close it out in straights Makiri!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
2nd Set Tiebreaker

0 - 1 Lucie first serve in wins.
0 - 2 Maria first serve in loses. uh oh.
1 - 2 Maria first serve in wins. C'mon!
2 - 2 Lucie second serve loses. Yes!
3 - 2 Lucie second serve loses. Yes! YEs YES!!! A mini-break up!!

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM
Maria leads 4-2 in the tiebreak!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM
2nd Set Tie-breaker

4 - 2 Maria 1st serve in wins! C'MON!!!!
5 - 2 Maria 1st serve in wins! C'MON!!!! C'MON!!!!!

TennisPlayingFox
5-3. Davai Maria!

RonnieB33
2nd Set Tie-breaker

5 - 3 Lucie 1st serve in wins! That's okay.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
2nd Set Tie-breaker

6 - 3 Lucie 2nd serve in loses! HELL YEAH!!

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM
6-3! 3 Match Points!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM
It's Over!!!! Gsm!!!

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:48 PM
YES!!!! Maria wins 6-4, 7-6! Great job Maria! Fantastic! Good luck against Jelena now!

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:51 PM
2nd Set
7 - 6 (7 - 3 in the tie-breaker!)

Maria wins in IMPRESSIVE fashion. I'm speechless and happy that I lost 315 V-bucks on her (though I made a side bet of 15 for her!)

The second set stats are as follows. Note the dominating serving points. CONGRATULATIONS! This is your biggest win of the year. Good luck against Jankovic!

Hope you all enjoyed my match reporting. I finally didn't jinx her!!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1084/977687777_19e673e151.jpg

Derek.
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Wow, Maria! :D :banana:

Great job, and great win. :worship:

Good luck in the next round! :)

Rod the Bama
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:55 PM
What a great win for Makiri. :clap2: She finally put together a good match and defeated a top 20 player. This is without question her best win in a while. Now she has Jelena next and i have to say that i like her chances in that match since she played Jelena very tough in Birmingham.

KClijsters
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:57 PM
So Great for Maria :D
Damn good win :cool:
Hope she'll have some confidence now.. :woohoo:

Nikkiri
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:58 PM
Maria fantastic win it's soooo good to see her finally winning and playing like this keep it up girl.

RonnieB33
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:08 PM
Impressive notes about that 2nd set tie-breaker:

- She put ALL her first serves in.
- She won ALL points on Lucie's second serve after struggling against it in the second set.

Well deserved win. And I can't wait for Jelena v Maria. This match should be tomorrow, right? I wonder what time it will be.

Eugenia
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:22 PM
Wow Makiri! :banana: Impressive win! :bigclap: I'm glad to know she is winning matches again! :yeah:
And well done in doubles with Gisela! :hearts:

Slampova
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:32 PM
I'm liking her chances against Jankovic in this kinda of form. Especially after losing so narrowly at the DFS Classic (5-7 in the third :(). Revenge is on the cards Maria...

Natash.
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Maria. :hearts: So happy for you!

matty
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:47 PM
:bounce: Wow, a solid win over Safarova! Keep it up!!! :bounce:

Topspin2
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:41 AM
Makiri win!!!:bounce:

so.krist!na
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:10 AM
:bounce:yay!! :woohoo: :yeah:
well done maria

Andy.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
What a fantastic win for Maria, this tournament could well be a great turning point

leo830301
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:10 AM
What a great, wonderful, and fantastic win it is!
But we want more win!
Come on!
Now, it's time to keep winning!

Michael_21
Aug 2nd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Excellent win maria but an even bigger match 2morrow against jankovic Good Luck :D

JimM
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Nearly did it at the DFS, she can do it this time if she plays as she has!!

Good luck Today Maria!!

:)

sannyak
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Thankfully no be broken the sequence!I think already can be seen the new coach of
work.Maria more fight hard,than previously.
I wish they would good play she Jankovic against also.

only_one_maria
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Those serving statistics look as if they were from a grasscourt match.

I'm guessing but I think Maria's new coach has probably focused on her serve first of all, as that's where the game starts. She looks solid on that now and her attack of the second serves is a sign of confidence; just needs to work on those first returns now!

Just wondering about her tactics. Everyone thought she looked a bit clueless at Eastbourne/Wimbledon. Was she coming to the net much. Any serve and volley?

Vassili
Aug 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM
Great win Maria ! :banana: :yippee: :dance:

dulkogii
Aug 2nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Stadium (from 10.00hrs)
1. Bartoli vs. Dementieva
2. Kirilenko vs. Jankovic
3. Sharapova vs. Golovin
4. Hingis vs. Schnyder
5. V.Williams vs. Hantuchova (NB 19.30hrs)
6. Castaño/Tanasugarn vs. Dulko/Kirilenko

the cat
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
That's a nice win for Masha over Safarova. I really hope her working with Eric Van Harpen will bring out the best in Maria as a tennis player and competitor. I think Van Harpen is the best coach Masha has ever worked with. So I'm hoping he helps her turn her career around. :)

The match against Jankovic will be very tough because Jelena is well rested and will want to routine Masha after Maria almost beat jelena in Birmingham. Both players will be looking to send messages to each other. Masha will try to show this is the real Masha. And Jankovic will try to dominate Maria early in the match and shake her confidence.

Kirilenko_Kamp
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
What a quintessential win Makiri! This could possibly be the turning point in your tennis. Hey Makiri, you're going to be the huge underdog against Jelena. Nobody expects you to win this match (except me!). So, there's no pressure on you. Go for your shots because you have nothing to lose. Go for broke and treat every shot against Jelena as if it is a match point! Go Makiri! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! UNLEASH HELL ON JELENA!

Topspin2
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Good Luck, MaKiri!!! :worship:

Mashak
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Maria now! :cool:
Good luck Maria!
You're in that "flow" now.. So kick some ass :p

doris_hdz
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
gO maRIA!!!

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Maria up an early break! *2-0

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Makiri with the first set 6-2! Keep it up!

Mashak
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
Maria is doing so damn greatttt! :D :cool:

Only tough game now.. :o
2-2.. and 3 BP's for JJ... :(

schorsch
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
hey guys, whazzup with lil'masha ? did she find a new coach or something like thaT? she's playing really well it seems :)

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:03 PM
Maria is up 5-3* in the third! Please close it out Maria! You can do it!

matty
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
She's got a new coach right? Or has she been with this Dutch guy for awhile? (he coached Schynder and Kournikova). At any rate this would be a huge win for her. C'mon Maria, let's see you in the top 15 by years end!!!

tojja
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:12 PM
Maria serve right now for match point :)

tojja
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM
She lost here serve :(
5-5 in third set

tojja
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
yes!!Maria serve for match now 6-5 :)

tojja
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Maria def. J.Jancovic :bounce:
6-2,3-6,7-5

matty
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:31 PM
Amazing result!!! Congratulations to Maria K.!!!!!!!

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
This is awesome! What a great win against Jankovic! Great job Makiri! So happy for you right now! Good luck in the quarters!

tojja
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Amazing result!!! Congratulations to Maria K.!!!!!!!
I´m very surprised but happy for here :)

Rod the Bama
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:39 PM
What a great win for Makiri. :clap2: Let me just start out by saying it`s about time she won a 3rd set 7-5. :D This is her best win of the year to date and is the type of win that can really do wonders for her confidence.

Eugenia
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
Wow Mariki!!! :bounce: Amazing win!!! :banana: :banana:
Great tournament for her! :bigclap:

Nikkiri
Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:58 PM
one word.. AMAZING

keep it going Maria

KClijsters
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:17 AM
JUST GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! :D :cool:
I'm so happy for her.. !
She's absolutely doing great now!
Just what she needs :D

Keep going Maria!
Next is Elena :woohoo:

Benchwarmer1
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
wow, great match maria, good luck against Elena :yeah:

Topspin2
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
Great win for Makiri!!!! :worship: :kiss:

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:28 AM
Maria!!!!!! :D :banana: :worship: :rocker2: :yippee: :woohoo:

doris_hdz
Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
wow!!!!!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Congrats MAria!!!

Good luck!!

mrtybrodur30
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
great win defeating jankovic!! i was at her match at stanford vs azarenka where she fought back to win, today she played very similar she kept her focus and pulled it out in the last set, great job by her today that is awesome. :clap2: next up is dementieva!

Natash.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:21 AM
great win defeating jankovic!! i was at her match at stanford vs azarenka where she fought back to win, today she played very similar she kept her focus and pulled it out in the last set, great job by her today that is awesome. :clap2: next up is dementieva!

Can you please be more specific on how she played? :hearts:

I hoppe you had a great time, btw!

Crank
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:26 AM
I believe that tomorrow the match will be diffused . I hope ... :D

mrtybrodur30
Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:35 AM
Can you please be more specific on how she played? :hearts:

I hoppe you had a great time, btw! i didnt see her play live today but at stanford the first set she didnt look too good. but after that she got stronger and stronger, she fought off the 3 match points and took the second set. the third set vika was just trying to stay with maria. maria was coming up with big shots in the third when she needed too. most of the match was played back and forth at duece.
vika fought off atleast 5 match points but eventually maria got it =) after maria was obviously very happy. then was walking around the grounds and i got to meet her ;) she was really nice, so it was a good day lol

so.krist!na
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:17 AM
that's amazing!! :worship:
well done Maria :yeah: keep winning please!!! :devil:

Andy.
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:26 AM
What a turning point this tournament has been. Congrats Maria on playing so well and getting that belief back in your game.

Kirilenko_Kamp
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:57 AM
Another quintessential win for Makiri over another top ranked player! I think Makiri is starting to truly believe in herself, her capabilities, and her game. I like her chances against Elena. Makiri, attack and put pressure on Elena's vulnerable serve, especially her 2nd serve. Fight for every point Makiri! You can do it! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Michael_21
Aug 3rd, 2007, 04:46 AM
Great win Maria now for an apponent that is abit easier but is still gonna be tough good luck u can win this one :D

Vassili
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:33 AM
wow Congrats Maria ! :worship: :woohoo: :banana: :dance:

sannyak
Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
It's unbelievable!!! Maria marvellous!!! One big game bag!!!
Again have cold head and hot heart.Very good made to Maria the new coach and that
again to play in doubles with old partner.
I wish they would good play she Dementieva against also.The also will have great
battle.

morningglory
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Oh wow! unbelievable!!! AWESOME! I have no words... congratz to Makiri!!!

RonnieB33
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
From Acura Classic website:

The “Other” Russian Maria Scores Third Round Upset (http://www.acuraclassic.com/PressBox/PressReleases/2007/kirilenko_vs_jankovic.html)

RonnieB33
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
From WTA Tour site:

Kirilenko Stuns Jankovic; Sharapova Keeps Rolling (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=1586)

RonnieB33
Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
The first bad news of this week: Team Dulkolenko lost a heartbreaker

Castaño/Tanasugarn (COL/THA) d. (6) Dulko/Kirilenko (ARG/RUS) 64 46 119

Apparently they were up 4-1 in the first set and 5-1 in the super tiebreaker. Well, at least they're playing together again.

RonnieB33
Aug 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
From the GM:

Bartoli: (she shared the ice cream thank god)
The JJ and Kirilenko match was by far the best match of the day. Jelena came out really flat and was missing pretty much everything. Maria only needed to get the ball back and thats what she did. Jelena lost the first set on her own accord. the second set we saw the Jelena were used to seeing lately, she was yanking maria all around the court but she still wasnt serving that well. The third set was awesome, it had a lot of breaks and Maria really stepped it up and played some huge winners (for maria). Jelena fought hard but maria was to good in the third. all in all jelena was not at her best and it showed. She would have beaten her otherwise.

Check out the thread below for more info on that day.

Thread: I was at the Acura Classic today if anybody has any questions???? (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=11341188#post11341188)

Zombielicious
Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Good luck today Makiri!

only_one_maria
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
Set and a break down!

Start fighting Makiri, you can do it!

tojja
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Dementieva serv for match now 6-2,5-4 :(

tojja
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Kirilenko lost :( 6-2,6-4

Crank
Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Maria ! :sobbing: :scared:

Rod the Bama
Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:28 PM
What a sad way to end the tournament for Makiri. :sad: It`s a shame that she had losses in both singles and doubles, especially in the doubles match where she and Gisela blew those leads in the first set and the super tiebreaker. Still i have to say that it`s very encouraging to see Makiri playing better. Hopefully this will spark her in the right direction.

tojja
Aug 4th, 2007, 12:12 AM
What a sad way to end the tournament for Makiri. :sad: It`s a shame that she had losses in both singles and doubles, especially in the doubles match where she and Gisela blew those leads in the first set and the super tiebreaker. Still i have to say that it`s very encouraging to see Makiri playing better. Hopefully this will spark her in the right direction.
I´m not surprised,Dementiva is hard to beat.
Everything is coming back if you not have a killer serv :)

the cat
Aug 4th, 2007, 03:52 AM
I think Masha had a letdown against Dementieva after beating Safarova and Jankovic back to back. :( And this was the first tournament since Bejiing 2005 that Maria won 3 matches in a row. Well done to Makiri. :) Now lets see if she can keep this good form of hers through the 2007 U.S. Open.

Kirilenko_Kamp
Aug 4th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Nice tournament showing Makiri. You far exceded my expectations along with everyone elses. Hopefully, you can build on this and carry the momentum in the next scheduled tourney.

Natash.
Aug 4th, 2007, 05:15 AM
I think Masha had a letdown against Dementieva after beating Safarova and Jankovic back to back. :( And this was the first tournament since Bejiing 2005 that Maria won 3 matches in a row. Well done to Makiri. :) Now lets see if she can keep this good form of hers through the 2007 U.S. Open.

TOKYO (JAPAN OPEN) See all TOKYO (JAPAN OPEN) Results for KIRILENKO
VS, III, JAPAN, October 9, 2005, $ 170,000 , HARD (O)
Draw: 32M/32Q/16D, Rank: 26, Seed/Entry: 4

Rnd Opponent Rank W/L Score
R32 H2H (W) MORITA, AYUMI JPN 348 W 6-4 6-4
R16 H2H (S) NAGYOVA, HENRIETA SVK 216 W 6-4 6-2
Q H2H CRAYBAS, JILL USA 55 W 6-2 4-6 6-2
S H2H (2) VAIDISOVA, NICOLE CZE 21 L 6-4 6-2

;)

Not really that far from Beijing though :lol:

Vassili
Aug 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM
congrats to Maria for the great tournament she played :kiss:

Michael_21
Aug 4th, 2007, 09:24 AM
unlucky against Elena but still Exellent Tournament Maria :D

Eugenia
Aug 4th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Makiri :hug: Great tournament anyway! :yeah:

JimM
Aug 5th, 2007, 12:22 AM
For the preesent she should focus on singles only. She is tsaking too much out of herself trying to play singles and doubles. The Acura result is the same as Stanford. 2 hard 3 set matches followed by Srbotnik in Stanford and Elena in the Acurs.

sannyak
Aug 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM
To the match against Dementieva,Eric Van Harpen no guess something new motivation
for Maria,like on Thursday at the Labrador? It would've been better,maybe Maria
better concentrate.
I think the first serve from 40-0 lose,take her confidence and make nervous.Dementieva
also much better to play,as was only to be expected.Elena few DF shot.
Maria was yet tired also,after Thurday's more than four hour tennis.
Yet never mind!I wish they would play such good and she would win 3-3 matches
in Los Angeles and Toronto also.

Crank
Aug 9th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Press conference after quaterfinal loss to Dementieva ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XPTZshf95g

tojja
Aug 9th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Yes :bounce: Kirilenko win 6-3,6-4 Dulko have no chance :kiss: