PDA

View Full Version : Williams sisters' doubles final bigger TV draw than men's final

Infiniti2001
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:19 PM
.c The Associated Press

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) - The Wimbledon doubles final won by Serena and Venus Williams drew higher TV ratings than the men's singles final.

NBC's broadcast Sunday averaged a 3.1 overnight rating from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. EDT, up slightly from the 3.0 for the network's show that included the men's final last year, when rain pushed the match to Monday and it was aired on tape delay.

No. 1-ranked Lleyton Hewitt's 6-1, 6-3, 6-2 victory over David Nalbandian drew ratings that ranged from 2.6 to 3.1 each half hour until noon Sunday.

But NBC's top half-hour ratings for its show - 3.8 to 4.0 - came later in the afternoon, while the Williams sisters were beating French Open champions Paola Suarez and Virginia Ruano Pascual in straight sets.

The women's singles final show Saturday produced a 4.6 overnight rating.

The rating is the percentage of all homes with TVs, whether or not they are in use. Overnight ratings measure the 53 largest TV markets in the United States, covering about 65 percent of the country.
07/08/02 12:42 EDT

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:27 PM
wow even the williams sisters playing doubles outshines the mens final:eek: :eek: :eek:

TSequoia01
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:31 PM
I am beginning to see a pattern here! :)

eshell
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:32 PM
The Williams Sisters are definitely helping ratings! :)

Amanda
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:42 PM
LOL "No one wants to see an all Williams final." LMAO!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Isn't is grand! :D

Everybody at work today was telling me they watched it (they all know I worship the girls) and they were all telling me how exciting it was.

These are country white folk - middle class - who even watched the doubles final!

Now if that doesn't speak for Venus and Serena's broad appeal, I don't know what does! :)

midora
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Yet more evidence of the Williams Sisters destroying tennis as we know it. I feel sorry for CBS which is airing the US Open. The Williams will bore their viewership right into first place.

Yawn

Pamela Shriver
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Nothing beats the viewing figures of my legendary encounter with Anke Huber on centre court in 96. The Ping Pong serve achieved a record three viewers.

Gumbycat
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:12 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

anton
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:17 PM
This is great news. Go VEnus!

BrianII
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:23 PM
If the williams Sisters keep this up womens tennis as we know it will be dead within a year ..zero advertising , zero corporate intrest ,zero sponsorship .......they must at all costs be forced too attend fashion school full time ...to the powers that be, take heed
Ban them now!

victory1
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Oh my God, that's too funny!!!:D

Rocketta
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Isn't is grand! :D

Everybody at work today was telling me they watched it (they all know I worship the girls) and they were all telling me how exciting it was.

These are country white folk - middle class - who even watched the doubles final!

The same thing happend for me, too! When I got to work the country white folk was talking about Venus and Serena! Asking me were those the girls I liked and went to see in Charleston!

Yeah sounds like Venus and Serena are just boring more and more people every day! ;)

Dawn Marie
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Wow this is so not surprising. I mean it wasn't that long ago when ALOT of people were pressing for Venus and Serena to PLAY more. Alot of fans of tennis couldn't wait for both of them to enter alot of tourneys and play more than 12-18 tourneys. So the fact that the doubles and final drew many viewers is not surprising.:)

Go Venus and Serena keep on doing great for the WTA and tennis.

note: I work in a all-white establishement. A place where rich retired old millionares live and stay when they need taking care of in their later years.

Well let me tell yah, I was surprised to see alot of people talking about the William sisters and how great they are. I was so proud of tennis and V@S,especially when this eldery lady, out of the blue, said " Isn't it something?" How those two girls, Venus and Serena are playing tennis"? When she mentioned that to me I was surprised and happy. She then went on and said, "My they are very good, they hit the ball so hard, they are amazing". Let me tell yah, she made my night. It was a good feeling to know that alot of people were aware of Venus and Serena and how good they are. I was especially surprised because this elderly lady has a tendency to forget things and is not always aware of everything around her.

Venus and Serena are making history, and it is natural for people to want to witness it and view it. It's like you know that in the next 40 years it will be nice to realize that..." yes, I remeber when they broke records, or I rememebr when they both played their first Wimbeldon final together".

Whether you like them or not, they are making history as we write and speak and that is great.

R. DIS
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:55 PM
It's not hard to draw more ratings than the men's final this year.

mboyle
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:57 PM
The men got a 3.1? That is ridiculous!!!!!! Who would want to see Hewitt vs. Nalbandian? Oh I know, they must have just been watching to see when the Williams sisters would come on.

victory1
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:59 PM
But you missed the part where they drew more ratings, than last year final, with only 1 Williams by 28%!!!:D

Volcana
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:02 PM
These are US numbers, of course. Somehow, I think the men's final outdrew the women in Australia.

ot1962
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Maybe, just maybe, when people talk about BORE, maybe they meant as in BORE a hole, drill a hole? So that, metaphorically, creat a breakthrough????

So guys, please go easy on them, They meant the Sisters would create a BREAKTHROUGH.
Eh! I am trying HARD to find reasons, excuses, etc. There must be some logic or explanation to their thinking. I know i am grasping STRAWS here:)

Oh, i learnt few of the NAYSAYERS decided to ambush Mauresmo and WHISPERED into hers hears thousand times about how the Sisters are "BORING" holes in all the records in Tennis. Her being french she misunderstood what they meant by "BORING"

BigTennisFan
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:49 PM
for those of us who enjoy doubles, Venus and Serena are the only team that can REALLY pull the general public to doubles. Sure Anna K can bring some viewer in too. But Willi*2 can really bring it.
Let's hope that the detractors eventually realize that these girls are special and they came along just when tennis needed them.
The sport may never again be of such interest to the masses. So enjoy it while you can. :)

TeeRexx
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Why would anyone want to watch those boring WILLIAMS girls?
How truly sad has the tennis world become.
Just because they beat all of their opponets doesn't mean someone has to actually watch them play.

How sad indeed.

:angel: :p

Couver
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:29 PM
YAY!! GO GIRLS!!

How devastating this must be for tennis....I predict the WTA tour will crubmle into dust if Venus & Serena keep competing at this level :)

Philip
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:46 PM
The Doubles final was way more exciting than the mens final, it deserved more ratings :)

J_Migoe
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:55 PM
I was very pleased with the way my campus reacted to the Williams sisters. I'm about the only one in campus who is a Williams fanatic so it was really exciting to find a lot of students who would not care the least about tennis tuning in to watch the sisters play. They were full of praises for the girls.

A lot of students asked me questions about the girls. I was really honored. The Williams sisters surely are having a big impact on everyone's life. Long live my pretty warriror princesses!!!!

Terri77
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:56 PM
I didn't see much of the men's final but I watched the ladies play their doubles final.

GogoGirl
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:00 PM
I love the last para.

www.bbc.co.ul/sports/tennis

Sunday, 7 July, 2002, 19:42 GMT 20:42 UK
More joy for Williams double act

The Williamses have won five Grand Slam doubles titles

The Williams sisters' domination of women's tennis continued on Sunday when they captured the women's doubles title at Wimbledon.
Venus and Serena beat French Open champions Paola Suarez and Virginia Ruano Pascual 6-2 7-5 in one hour and 20 minutes.

Todd Woodbridge and Jonas Bjorkman win men's doubles

The title comes just one day after Serena beat older sister Venus in the final of the women's singles.

Serena takes Wimbledon title

Serena beat Venus 7-6 (7/4) 6-3 on Saturday, ending Venus' dreams of a third successive championship.

It is the second Wimbledon doubles crown for the sisters, following their victory two years ago.

They have also won all four Grand Slam doubles titles - Australian, French Open, Wimbledon, US Open - and the 2000 Olympic gold.

Williams duo leave the rest behind

But even mum Oracene is becoming harder to impress, as she was absent from Centre Court on Sunday for the first time since the tournament got underway.

"I get a little tired watching tennis all the time," admitted Oracene, who preferred to spend the day shopping in central London.

ptkten
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:05 PM
lol, i think any women's doubles final with a top name would outdraw the men right now. And it's all because of what venus and Serena (and maybe Anna too) have done for the sport

This must have been really embarrasing for people like John McEnroe ;)

bluepastures
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Also, Ptkten, it shows just how stupid Wimbledon is having men's prize money (in BOTH singles AND doubles) as higher than women's. And forget that stupid argument about five sets rather than three sets, that just means the player who can last longest wins, rather than the best player.

Gumbycat
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Oracene went shopping instead of watching Venus and Serena play doubles?????

Boo Hoo Boo Hoo Our girls are Women now.......

Hey Dawn, good to hear from you :). Send me an e-mail :)

Crazy Canuck
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but these are purely US TV stats?

Makes sense to me - Americans make it clear they don't like watching foriegners ;) (please note I'm making a bold generalization).

I have a feeling that if you asked Argentina for their stats, things might differ a little.

But then again, you guys surely don't care about that, so.

Jovon
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by ot1962
Maybe, just maybe, when people talk about BORE, maybe they meant as in BORE a hole, drill a hole? So that, metaphorically, creat a breakthrough????

So guys, please go easy on them, They meant the Sisters would create a BREAKTHROUGH.
Eh! I am trying HARD to find reasons, excuses, etc. There must be some logic or explanation to their thinking. I know i am grasping STRAWS here

Oh, i learnt few of the NAYSAYERS decided to ambush Mauresmo and WHISPERED into hers hears thousand times about how the Sisters are "BORING" holes in all the records in Tennis. Her being french she misunderstood what they meant by "BORING"

LOL, nice try!!!!:)

GATORSHORT
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:30 AM
Becca surely you realize american tv is what makes or breaks a sport as for as coverage goes?

Crazy Canuck
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:33 AM
Gatorshort -

The most popular, most watched sport in the entire world seems to be doing quite well without any help from Americans at all.

That would be of course, football.

It is so unpopular in the USA that they even call it 'soccer' *snicker* (they call it that in Canada as well).

So what was that about American TV making and breaking a sport?

mboyle
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Gator short: Good point. I mean look at soccer! It takes pure fanaticism from the rest of the world to even let soccer players earn a decent living without the US interest. Imagine how much more money these soccer players would earn if the US somehow got interested (I personally love soccer, it is a great sport, but boring to watch on tv except for world cup)

Lisbeth
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Rebecca is right about soccer. Cricket is also one of the most televised sports in the world and the USA doesn't even play that as far as I know! Or the Sydney Olympics which was one of the most watched events EVER worldwide even though I believe USA TV didn't even bother showing it live because it didn't suit their time zone.

You might be right that USA coverage is important for athletes to absolutely maximise their sponsorship sollars but that's not the most important thing to many athletes, especially in wealthy sports like tennis. They make a good enough living as it is.

However, I am glad to see Americans giving the Williams girls the support they deserve. It sounds like that hasn't always been the case.

venusfan
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:49 AM
Brandy is sepending the girls $

I cant forget the time when Serena tried paying with a credit card and it was declined.

Crazy Canuck
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:08 AM
"Gator short: Good point. I mean look at soccer! It takes pure fanaticism from the rest of the world to even let soccer players earn a decent living without the US interest. Imagine how much more money these soccer players would earn if the US somehow got interested (I personally love soccer, it is a great sport, but boring to watch on tv except for world cup)"

Mboyle do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Soccer players don't make good money?

Sam L
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Volcana
These are US numbers, of course. Somehow, I think the men's final outdrew the women in Australia.

Good point, Volcana, it's all really about where you are. The womens' final is USA vs. USA naturally it will rate higher (in the USA) than the mens' final which is AUS vs. ARG. Now if the mens' final was Sampras vs. Agassi I wonder which will still rate higher.

That is not to say that Venus and Serena do not attract ratings. They do. In fact, I have heard many people in Australia say that "I've never been interested in womens' tennis until now". But of course it is all relative. Here in Australia, people who doesn't even watch tennis AT ALL, would have tuned in to see Lleyton win Wimbledon "just to see an Aussie win".

So it is all relative. But what is UNDENIABLE is Venus and Serena are great for the game and it will only get better.

Williams Rulez
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Well, the American market is the single largest market... so it is no surprise it is used as a benchmark for practical purposes. I mean, how hard is it gonna get if you try to complie viewership from every nation?

Whatever it is, this shows that the Williams finals and the Williams are by no means killing the sport. They are helping the sport, in the US at least.

Hulet
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Just another example of the attention drawing capacity of the WTA (from the guardian):

Sponsorship deals

Jonas Bjorkman made the most of his mixed-doubles partnership with Anna Kournikova by gaining a sponsorship deal with Del Monte based on the increased exposure he would receive due to his photogenic partner. Kratochvil also made £900 from a one-off shirt sponsorship deal with the budget supermarket chain Costcutter for his last-16 match against Henman. Value indeed given the time it took the Brit to win

Dawn Marie
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:45 PM
GO TEAM WILLIAMS:)

Brian Stewart
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Eta Psi brought up an interesting note. It's common for companies to form a one-shot sponsorship deal with players who are going to be playing against top players, knowing they'll be getting increased exposure. (And that lower-ranked players don't have many deals already in place.) Anca Barna benefited from one such deal when she drew a night match against a Williams at the USO, and pocketed a few extra thousand.

This isn't the first time this has happened. And it's not purely an American vs non-American thing. 4 years ago, Pete Sampras played Goran Ivanisevic in a 5-set Wimbledon final. It was outdrawn by the women's singles, women's doubles, and mixed doubles finals. Granted, the mixed final had the Williams mojo going for it, but the other two didn't. The women's final was Novotna/Tauziat, and the doubles was Hingis-Novotna vs Davenport-Zvereva. Lindsay was the lone American in those 2 finals, and hadn't yet won a slam singles title. The women's events went in reverse order of American star power, with the singles, doubles, and mixed going in that order. So it isn't just that on the women's side.

Williams Rulez
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Hmmm... if a non-American finals for women can out draw a finals with Sampras... it says a lot about the popularity of Women's tennis... :)