PDA

View Full Version : Venus was SO rude in the doubles match!

joaco
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:14 PM
For the first time they were televising in my country, Argentina, the women's doubles match because Paola Suarez was playing. The match went OK. but there was this one thing....:mad:
Ruano Pascual was serving on the adv. side and Venus hit a devastating forehand parallel, which hit Paola on her stomach. Peola made a cry, shouted and grabbed her stomach, she was a few seconds like this. Venus said or did nothing. We were all waiting for Venus to respond, the camara was shooting Venus waiting for an answer but she did not apologyze.

I normally consider her person as someone who would apologyze if she does something like that, because it actually hurt Paola, but she didn't which made me mad at her....
hope next time she does apologyze

Joaco

DD
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:23 PM
come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where were you yesterday

TSequoia01
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:29 PM
I did not see any apologies when a ball whizzed at Venus' head in the first set. :confused:

selesrules
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:32 PM
joaco, you can't expect everyone to have dignity & class like Monica, it's just very rare these days. Thank God for Monica.

DD
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Oh selesrules

i am surprise you came up with this

nysaga
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Venus is like that. She's arrogant on the court. That's why I like Serena much more. She's more friendly and she apologized to Kournikova after their doubles semifinal for hitting kournikova in the thigh.

RYNJ
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by DD
Oh selesrules

i am surprise you came up with this

I wonder too:p :rolleyes:

selesfan
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Sometimes I think when Venus plays she is oblivious to the other players. She probably just didn't think about apologizing. I think that is why I like Serena better than Venus, she is more emotional and a lot friendlier to the other players.

DD
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:58 PM
funny

selesfan slikes serena better.

ofcourse

treufreund
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Oh get real! When the ball "whizzed at Venus's head" it did not actually HIT HER!!!!! Nor was it intentional and anyways that was only after she hit Paola Suarez from the baseline. You have time to aim your shots when you are at the baseline but the person at the net certainly could not react to Venus's line drives. When the ball was supposedly hit at Venus's head which is a groos exaggeration anyways, all the players were involved in a quick reflex exchange at the net and the ball DID NOT EVEN HIT VENUS ANYWAYS! It's unbelievable what people will come up with to excuse the worst behaviour! :fiery:

calabar
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Both Navratilova and Pam Shriver, two people who are very knowledgeable on playing doubles have said on separate occasions that getting hit is part of playing doubles. If you are not agile, you have no business staying at the net. Apologies not necessary.

Infiniti2001
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:05 PM
What is it with all these bashers? They're all over the place, if you look around there are people who want to rip into Venus, root against her and get all gleeful when she doesn't win. Did you see when Virginia Rauno Pascual hit the ball at Venus's head??? I did not see her apologising either :rolling eyes:

P.S. funny how Trefeund shows up any time he sees the name Williams... That's pitiful!!! Mind you, this is same poster who tried so hard to convince Venus's fans that he liked her not too long ago:fiery: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=21286&highlight=treufreund

selesfan
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:08 PM
DD posts:Funny Selefan likes Serena better of course

Whats so funny about it? I didn't say I didn't like Venus. What is wrong with me liking Serena more? :rolleyes:

TSequoia01
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by treufreund
Oh get real! When the ball "whizzed at Venus's head" it did not actually HIT HER!!!!! Nor was it intentional and anyways that was only after she hit Paola Suarez from the baseline. You have time to aim your shots when you are at the baseline but the person at the net certainly could not react to Venus's line drives. When the ball was supposedly hit at Venus's head which is a groos exaggeration anyways, all the players were involved in a quick reflex exchange at the net and the ball DID NOT EVEN HIT VENUS ANYWAYS! It's unbelievable what people will come up with to excuse the worst behaviour! :fiery:

Hmm Let me see, it is okay to aim at one's head as long as there is no contact. If there is contact then you should apologize? My question would be why aim in the first place? You then indicate that Venus hit her intentionally but Suarez's missile was unintentional? How do you know? Seems like a stretch to me. :p

Ms. Lively
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:22 PM
I'm borrowing a quote from Chris Evert. Venus acted like a "caged animal."

treufreund
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:24 PM
They did not aim at Venus's head! I said it was a quick reflex exchange. That was easy to see. Venus's was returning a pretty serve and had time to line it up. Do you really believe that Venus has such poor placement?

SerenasMelons
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Venus never apologizes for anything on court. She usually doesn't for letcords either. That's the only time I've seen her hit someone. Serena does it all the time. So I guess Venus just isn't put in the position as much.

eshell
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Please! This is silly. Venus also reminded the ladies to curtsy when leaving the court. Yeah, that same "rude" Venus helped them with Wimbledon protocol.

It was a doubles match! Aiming a ball at the net player is acceptable strategy.

TSequoia01
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:35 PM
My point is this, those young ladies are out there scrambling around just trying to get the ball over the net. It is not their responsibility to insure the flight path of each and every one of their shots. The same is true of Suarez. On the actual hit, she had time to get her racquet up imo but chose to duck instead. Such is life! :cool: When the shot almost hit Venus, my reaction was get your racquet up not condemn their opponents. :wavey:

Terri77
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Some people are so blatant with their agendas.

Volcana
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Aiming at your opponent is a legit doubles tactic. Cowards need to stay off the court. Paola Suarez stayed with it cause she has guts. And incidentally, making the RG semis in singles and the Wimbledon finals in doubles is a nice start to the summer.

LucasArg
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:12 PM
It is not big deal, part of the game.;)

knopfler6
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Yes, that's just the sort of thing we like to see in doubles play, aiming for each others heads. Most of the women are rather churlish anyway, I don't think we can, or should, single out Venus or anyone else for that matter. The "sporting spirit" is nearly extinct in Women's Tennis for a few years now.

c2
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Actually, eshell, Serena reminded them to curtsey :)

GogoGirl
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Ms. Lively - in what way did Venus act like a "Caged Animal"? I would venture to guess that Venus would come across more classy and ladylike if it were between the two of you.

I think it was utterly uncalled for and terrible for you to make such a declaration because it sounds slanderous and uncouth. That statement reeks w/racial overtones, and it is a very old stereotypical one at that. IMO it was not even neccessary.

Venus has more class in her little finger than .......................!

Sevenseas
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Normally Venus responds in those occasions; but considering that she had lost the championship title only a day ago, she seemed a little upset during the doubles final match; so why judging her now ?

TSequoia01
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by GogoGirl
Ms. Lively - in what way did Venus act like a "Caged Animal"? I would venture to guess that Venus would come across more classy and ladylike if it were between the two of you.

I think it was utterly uncalled for and terrible for you to make such a declaration because it sounds slanderous and uncouth. That statement reeks w/racial overtones, and it is a very old stereotypical one at that. IMO it was not even neccessary.

Venus has more class in her little finger than .......................!

GoGoGirl supposedly Ms Lively was only passing on a quote from Chris Evert. I do seem to remember hearing or reading it somewhere. Where, I cannot remember? :confused:

Nimi
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:39 PM
well, its ok to aim at a player in doubles, but not apologizing is rude.

GogoGirl
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Tse-01 - well let me see and lookie here now.

And my point exactly! Why would anyone feel it appropriate to bring up a stereotypical quote said by someone - some time ago if one didn't feel it fit the occassion or was relevant to the subject at hand? IMO - it was posted as an endorsement to the quote.

In this case - we will just have to agree to disagree - cause I am not changing my original post that listed my original thoughts and feelings about the situation.

TSequoia01
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:53 PM

And my point exactly! Why would anyone feel it appropriate to bring up a stereotypical quote said by someone - some time ago if one didn't feel it fit the occassion or was relevant to the subject at hand? IMO - it was posted as an endorsement to the quote.

In this case - we will just have to agree to disagree - cause I am not changing my original post that listed my original thoughts and feelings about the situation.

Well GogoGirl I Ain't mad at ya!!

:hearts: :kiss: :hearts: :kiss:

eshell
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Thanks, C2, I stand corrected. :)

persond
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:59 PM

YOU GO, GOGOGIRL!!!!:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Pureracket
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Another bashing thread about Venus!?!?!?!?

This is getting sick.

*clocker runs to the administrators*

QueenO
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Really this is a "I want to bash Venus thread". Be man/women enough to just do so.... without hiding behind this Venus being rude thread .

BigTennisFan
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Hmmm. it's interesting that no one remembers that the NBC commentators talked about that incident. McEnroe said that it's not good sporting behaviour to aim a hard volley at an opponent but Venus was returning serve from BEHIND THE BASELINE.
It seems to me that she should have been able to get out of the way.

Even so, hitting an opponent is a legitimate play.
It tells the opponent that if she comes tiptoeing her little happy butt up to the net, she'd better be ready to react fast.

And if you can't get out of the way of a service return from behind the baseline, you probably have no business playing the net. :o :cool:

Callie19
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Actually it was Serena who reminded them to curtsy. Also, please stop these ludicrous posts. Doubles is Doubles, and people will be hit. She should have moved out of the way, the way that Venus did when that ball came charging towards her head. This is really starting to get pathetic!:fiery:

Julie
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:55 PM
this was done to death yesterday joaco - its in the wimbledon forum. There is no need for another of these threads.

if oyu have any objections to its closing, you can pm me - you all know the score now right???